Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    alanp            11-10-2004, 12:38 PM Reply   
well its done. with the help of a my good friendjim (or maybe i was helping him?) we got it installed last night in about 5 hours. gonna try it out tonight to check the fill rates.

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-10-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
alan, good luck. BTW Jim can't do 540's he is full of it. Hope it works and you guys get a run or two in.
Old    alanp            11-10-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
we still have a couple little things to finish like the rear tank will be covered with a pad for my g/f to lay out on and then side will have a covering as well but i havent decided yet how to cover it. the first photo is the valves that are installed in a little cubby hole behind the throttle. 2) is a photo of the front tank which is a right triangle sized tank and holds about 250 lbs of water. i also use to steel blocks in the front for ballast. 3) is a ball valve that is attached to the scooper. then teed. we sent a hose to the rear tank and a hose to the front. 4) is the rear tank. you can see the tabs on the side for the pending upholstery. 5 is my scooper.
Old    alanp            11-10-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
hey thanks if you lived a little closer i could forego the upholstery and have you put on a world class paint job. anyway thanks again hopefully ill meet you soon.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-10-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
ya,you need to come up and ride here sometime.
Old    alanp            11-10-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
well the system worked great we drove about 7-8 minutes to the riding spot and it filled the tanks just fine(1100 lbs). it drained with no problems as well.

(Message edited by alanp on November 10, 2004)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-10-2004, 6:59 PM Reply   
that's awesome. i'm curious, how do you know when the tanks were full?
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-10-2004, 7:25 PM Reply   
I was wondering the same thing.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-10-2004, 8:21 PM Reply   
so you have to be moving at a good clip to fill the ballast tanks right?
Old    alanp            11-10-2004, 8:43 PM Reply   
those valves in picture 1 are my overflow vents. which are also my on off valves. the drain lines (vents) are on the top of the tank alas they wont push water out of the overflow valves until full. absolutely amazingly simple and clean. i dunno about the rate of speed to fill the tanks we were moving at 18mph to fill the tanks on the way out. so not to fast, obviously the faster i travel the quicker they fill, to a point.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-11-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
Alan When are you going out next. I should be out day after thanksgiving. drop me a line if you wanna ride or need a driver. I may try & ride too. arm is doing alot better i see my dr. tomorrow.
Andrew
Old    alanp            11-12-2004, 5:36 PM Reply   
here are the drain valves.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-13-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
how much would something like that cost but with the plastic sacs I already have?
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-13-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
Leo, this system as it is plumbed would not work on regular bags. This concept of controlling the air in/out of the rigid tanks works since we are just exchanging either air or water in a fixed volume. Since regular bags can change shape/volume you couldn't plumb it the same way. You could make it work similar though by having two water scoops, one facing forward creating water pressure to fill and one facing toward the back creating a vacuum to empty. You would have to have control valves on the fill lines though instead of the vent lines. I chose the vent lines since we could use miniture valves and mount them remotely for easy access. Bags also have a bit of a challenge in that having the fitting on the bottom may be prone to leaking since it is not a rigid connection like the solid tanks.
Old    alanp            11-13-2004, 7:07 PM Reply   
i paid 25 bucks for the scoop, 75 for the fittings, valves and hoses and 350 for the tanks(but jim knows the guys at the shop where these were built)
Old    alanp            01-05-2005, 4:58 PM Reply   
i finally got around to getting the cover for the top of the tank. i still havent decided about the front of the tank. i thinking of a curtain of some sort.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-05-2005, 8:05 PM Reply   
Well you are getting closer and it is looking good. Maybe putting some hand rails along side of the pad for holding onto would be kind of nice when you are doing those power turns. Kind of like the ones used on the 01 SAN. Hope to be back there again to ride sometime to test the finished product.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-06-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
i like the handrails idea, i am considering putting those on the back of my VLX. (they make handrail-mount board racks as well)

i'd suggest carpeting the front of the tank, and adding a storage net, and maybe some cupholders too.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-06-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
they make handrail-mount board racks as well
Do they who is they

Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-06-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
How do you drain the system?

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-06-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
If all the tanks are above the waterline wouldn't they just drain with gravity if he opens the vents?
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-06-2005, 3:51 PM Reply   
Here's the first link on what, how, if it was going to work.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/196868.html?1102915569

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-06-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
i know Wake Designs makes them, maybe others.
Old    alanp            01-07-2005, 8:20 AM Reply   
wakejunky- as actioncpd stated, they drain with gravity.
to the others, im laughing pretty hard, about the handrails and power turns. however they may be a decent idea for seating. i dont know the laws and whether or not i would need handrails for someone to sit up there. however that area was more for the lady. i dont usually take more than a couple of people out at a time so seating isnt ever a problem.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-01-2014, 2:22 PM Reply   
Revive the oldest thread on WW boats, acc...

Boy has ballast systems come a long way........................
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
This takes me back lol. I remember reading through this thread back in the day when I was setting up my ballast system