Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (procos1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-21-2019, 8:11 AM Reply   
So I am looking to get a new boat. I am coming from a 2016 Malibu 22 VLX and we mostly surf. My 13 year old Wakeboards but I think he will soon be transitioning to surfing. Before the VLX I owned a 2013 24 MXZ. I think I prefer the pickle fork style nose over the V bow. So If anyone has any comments on any of these boats it would be great. I am going to get out and demo all 4 but still would like input. So boats I am looking at are:

Mastercraft X22 or XT22
Supra SA or SL
Ski Nautique G23
Malibu 22 MXZ

Also How does the pricing go from most expensive to least? From what I have gathered I think from most to least would go. Nautique, Mastercraft, Supra and Malibu?

I really like my VLX but the cons and the reason I am looking for a new boat are:

-Speed of filling balast
-The bow rides really high out of the water when someone is surfing(might just be the nature of the beast)
-Handling when returning to pick up a downed surfer

Thanks for all and any comments.

Chuck
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       08-21-2019, 8:45 AM Reply   
Not a bad one in that bunch. I am partial to supra because they cost less and still surf great. I also like MC but i always feel like i am paying and extra 20k just cuz it says MC. All of these are good boats, don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
Old     (procos1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-21-2019, 9:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
Not a bad one in that bunch. I am partial to supra because they cost less and still surf great. I also like MC but i always feel like i am paying and extra 20k just cuz it says MC. All of these are good boats, don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
Yeah I agree but have only ridden in my BU's. Will get out after Labor day. However where I live Supra's are more expensive than Malibu.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-21-2019, 4:06 PM Reply   
For surfing, I’d also add a nautique gs24 to the list to look at.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-21-2019, 4:13 PM Reply   
If strictly picking from those 4 for surfing (and in general) I’d go: g23, SL, SA, 22mxz, x22, 22xt.

They will all have different shaped waves and the bigger boats on the list will likely have the most potential and ability to adjust. However price wise it seems these would also have a wide variety.

If picking for wakeboarding, g23, SA, then dunno.

In any case, as stated, all are going to be good boats.
Old     (procos1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-21-2019, 5:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Bison View Post
If strictly picking from those 4 for surfing (and in general) I’d go: g23, SL, SA, 22mxz, x22, 22xt.

They will all have different shaped waves and the bigger boats on the list will likely have the most potential and ability to adjust. However price wise it seems these would also have a wide variety.

If picking for wakeboarding, g23, SA, then dunno.

In any case, as stated, all are going to be good boats.
Yeah you can add the Malibu 23 LSV to those. I am excited to demo the Nautique, MC and Supra's.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-22-2019, 2:29 AM Reply   
My 2 cents. G23 or Supra SL will give you the best surf and wakeboard wakes. You may want to also look at the Supra SE. G23 will be the most expensive. Supra ballast fills faster since they have 6 pumps vs 3 in the G23. However, Supra has more ballast than the G23 so it does not fill 2x as fast even though it has 2x the pumps. In the Supra all 6 pumps are used for fill and all 6 are used to empty. Both boats handle ok when picking up the rider but the Supra will be a bit better vs the G23. Both will be better than your VLX. When the VLX Surfgate is deployed, handling a idle speeds is bad in one direction. The Supra uses tabs at the rear which go up/down as opposed to out so low speed handling does not suffer like your Malibu and the other new Malibus. The SL (SE) and G23 will have a better interior with better fit/finish than Malibu. I've left Mastercraft out because I don't know much about them. I've always overlooked them due to their higher prices.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-22-2019, 7:48 AM Reply   
All great boats!! I would certainly take into account your local dealer and who will be a good support for you. I can vouch for the Supra SL. It has an awesome wave and wakeboard wake right out of the box. Simple to push a button and your ballast fills in 6 mins and that is 3400lbs and your surf system automatically deploys!! It will also automatically fill and drain the ballast as people move around in the boat to compensate if you use Autowake. It makes adjustments fast. I am ordering a 2020 SL or an SA for my next Supra.
Old     (procos1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-22-2019, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
All great boats!! I would certainly take into account your local dealer and who will be a good support for you. I can vouch for the Supra SL. It has an awesome wave and wakeboard wake right out of the box. Simple to push a button and your ballast fills in 6 mins and that is 3400lbs and your surf system automatically deploys!! It will also automatically fill and drain the ballast as people move around in the boat to compensate if you use Autowake. It makes adjustments fast. I am ordering a 2020 SL or an SA for my next Supra.
Yeah Malibu wins that part of it hands down. They have been great since Tommy's has bought the local Malibu dealer. Top notch.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-24-2019, 2:13 AM Reply   
Totally in the same way as Tre
But I will definitely add a Centurion to the Choice, probably Ri237 in your case.
Surfwise the best wave of all theses choices in my opinion. And the quicker to fill and drain.
90sec for the 4000 pounds subfloor ballast and the pumps fills the rest while you’re riding. Funny to ride and see the wave go bigger and bigger while 1100lbs is added.
You have almost every tech components of Nautique and the engine (highly prefer PCM)

But it’s kind of budget friendly like Supra. I love Supra, surfwave is amazing style is amazing, surf technology is amazing but I just can’t deal with the fit and finish.. bu’s are even cheaper these days. Really Sad how the company turns out since a decade.

It always depends on our personal preferences AND how the dealer is.
The most important thing is always the dealer, how close they are, how they handle our things, etc.

My older brother is a Malibu fan, and I totally agreed with him. He always had a wakesetter and will probably always have.
He’s a family wise men, 3kids always friend with their kids too.
Bu’s offer a great bang for the buck, surfgate do its job too. Really easy to use. It’s the most simple device of all.
And it’s always throws a surfable/wakable wave no matter how people is placed or move in the boat.

For my opinion My choice always goes with Nautique. Had a 2006 Nautique 210 for 8years. Never had problems at all. Best boat I could have. I’ve changed it for a moomba mondo 2013, after change for a 2015 Tigé Z1, few months after change for 2016 Nautique 210 and every time I’ve changed I’ve tested every competitors. It’s just the minimum. Test drive/surf is essential because every person is different.

This summer I’ve tested G21, Ri217, Supra SR, X22.
Was REALLY impressed with Centurion, really. Almost put the trigger on the 2020 but they got rid of the 217 for 2020.
And seriously no boat give all the G’s gives. You have one of the best wave and the best interior.
For me it’s essential.

X22 too really impressed me with their interior. So beautiful and the perfored vinyl wow.
But surfwise.... just not there.
Supra Sr a phenomenal boat as always, but I had so much trouble with Indmar and engine is always so loud I can’t stand it! Probably due to insulation etc.
Bu’s I don’t try them because my brother have a 2018 and it’s really not for me

So my choice stopped at another Nautique.. the 2020 G21
not that I wanted to because damn they are pricy I wanted to change! But no other was able to fit my needs more than this one

Just my personal opinion
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-26-2019, 5:32 AM Reply   
On this list I love the Supra SR/SA/SL. Love me some Nautique but I find their surf waves are one-trick pony's as they are big and steep. If that's your truck you will love them.

You have to look hard at the Centurion Fi/Ri. Ramfill is killer and the surf wakes are incredibly good. The new hull also makes for an excellent wakeboard wake. There's not much, if any, difference between the Fi and Ri from a performance perspective. Mostly the difference is aesthetic. Same tech, same vinyl, and same wakes. The key difference, other than the looks, is the Fi starts at a lower price point and you option them up. Ri's come mostly loaded. Also the new Hex vinyl is on par (I think it's better) than the Nautique vinyl.
Old     (procos1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-26-2019, 10:16 AM Reply   
Yeah Centurion logos are not my thing. I have been told by many internet guys that who cares. Well it's my money and if I am going to spend $125,000+ I want to love everything about a boat including the logo. To be honest the Supras and the Nautiques are really the only boats that have my eye at this point. Steep and big is perfect for me. I am 51 and am not a pro surfer so I think at this point all new boats throw an incredible wake so I think it will come down to amenities.
Old     (procos1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-26-2019, 10:18 AM Reply   
Here was what I posted at the Malibu Crew forum. I was not blown away by the 23 MXZ. Not enough to trade in my 2016 22 VLX.

I demoed the 23 MXZ today. It wasn't a typical demo. The salesguy who was a really cool kid in his 30's picked me up at my dock but we had to wait for another guy and when he showed up we had to wait for his friend for another half hour. So by the time we got out to the lake it was 6pm. We then proceeded to drive around the lake to 4 other houses and pick up 6 other people LOL. 1 guy owned a 22 MXZ, 1 guy owned a 23 LSV, 1 had a G23 and 1 guy had a X23. So by the time we picked everyone up it was 7 pm. So a couple of things I noticed right off the bat is the boat rides way smoother than my 22 VLX and is A LOT quieter by a long shot. The boat had the 550 in it and it was still a lot quieter than mine. I was amazed at how much smoother it rode as well. Also we had 10 guys in the boat and I never felt cramped. And a few of these guys were on the larger side. I will say once I got in the water I was not blown away by the wake. It wasn't that it was bad I am sure I could tweak it and make it great but my VLX wake is much more to my liking. I personally feel my VLX wake is more steep, cleaner, longer and has quite a bit more push. So much so that I think if someone came from the 23 MXZ and then surfed behind mine it would be a hard adjustment. The one issue might have been I don't know if the salesguy filled up the PNP bags. We had so many guys on the boat and were doing a lot of driving around picking people up that I really don't know how it was setup. It did say that all the ballast were at 100% but on my VLX it says that even though PNP bags are not. You still have to go back and hit fill for the bags even though they say 100%. I am not sure if they changed this for the newer models were if it says 100% that means PNP as well. It was nice that I didn't feel cramped with 10 guys on the boat. I am however going to go back out for a demo after labor day with just him and I and hopefully my wife and see what the boat is like. That way I can check and see if the PNP bags get filled and how the wake is then. I am going to check out the Supra SL, G23 and X22 after labor day as well. I will say that I didn't think I liked the 23 MXZ enough to pay full price on a brand new one and trade in mine. I just don't really want my payment to jump alot just to move into that boat. It didn't wow me enough. At least on this test drive.

The more research I have been doing though has me thinking that the G23 is a boat I might really like. I will have to wait for the demo but man that thing really has me excited.

One really lame thing I found out is the place I rent my slip for the summer is a Supra dealer and the owner told me if I get another other new boat besides a Supra I can find a new place to dock my boat. I thought that was really crappy of him but unfortunately he has a waitlist and I guess he feels he can fill my spot. He said if I keep my existing Malibu he won't kick me out since he will grandfather me but told me if I spend money on switching boats it better be a Supra or I am gone. I guess alot of places around here are doing that. There is really very few places for me to dock my boat on this lake and I really like it so probably just going to keep my VLX for next summer and then figure it out. I am going to demo his Supra's but after what he told me it makes me want to buy one even less. I don't like being strong armed into buying something from someone. I am not sure he realizes it but that was just a bad business decision on his part. There is one other place I can keep my boat but it is a dry dock where I have to call ahead an hour before I go to my boat and they will have it in the water. Unfortunately they close everyday at 5:30 and if you haven't called them by 5 you are out of luck. My daughter and her friends go out alot at 6-7 pm during the summer and make a last minute decision to go surfing so a dry dock wouldn't work very well.

If I keep my VLX I am going to have my dealer install the Malibu sea deck to it. I think that will make my boat like a new one and only cost me $1500 as opposed to the $30,000-$50,000 more I will have to shell out after trading in my VLX and getting a new boat.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-26-2019, 12:35 PM Reply   
You are going about it the right way testing all the various boats. It is a real shame the way your Supra dealer tried to strong arm you. I think it is all about how he delivered the message. I think it would have come out better If he said:
"I've purchased all the boat slips to use as as a part of my dealership. They will be a perk for my dealership customers. You are welcome to stay 1 more year and during that time I'll be happy to refer you to marinas on the lake who have boat slips for rent. However, if you purchase a Supra from me, I'll throw in a deal for your boat slip rental and I'm hoping you will keep your new Supra here at my dealerships dock."

Last edited by tre; 08-26-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old     (procos1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-26-2019, 12:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
You are going about it the right way testing all the various boats. It is a real shame the way your Supra dealer tried to strong arm you. I think it is all about how he delivered the message. I think it would have come out better If he said:
"I've purchased all the boat slips to use as as a part of my dealership. They will be a perk for my dealership customers. You are welcome to stay 1 more year and during that time I'll be happy to refer you to marinas on the lake who have boat slips for rent. However, if you purchase a Supra from me, I'll throw in a deal for your boat slip rental and I'm hoping you will keep your new Supra here at my dealerships dock."
Yep I agree 100%. He called me today to check when I am available for a demo on his 2019 Supra SL. I told him next week. He isn't a bad guy I just think he needs a PR guy to work with him. However he has been in the business for 30 years so I guess it has worked for him for a long time and guess he doesn't see the need to change. It's a shame. And I do understand why he is doing it. There is another marina on a different lake that does the same thing with Mastercrafts own a Mastercrraft or you can't keep your boat there. It's just unfortunate that Tommy's has only a few slips and it is on a super small lake that no one wants to be on. The Supra dealer even said to me that he understands why I am interested in the Nautique and that is a line of boats he would love to pick up. Not sure why he can't the Nautique dealer is like an hour from my house. He is like 15 minutes. Such a bummer.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       08-29-2019, 12:00 PM Reply   
Absolutely love my Supra SL. I do have some issue that still need to be resolved and the dealership I have faith will fix them after the season is over, but I have no regrets so far. They are touch screen issues than only sometime happens. Already have over 65 hours on her and didn't get to use it the whole month of August do to work project. Lame.

No real bow raise with tons of power with the 450, full loaded down and it still circle the boarder like it was empty.
Attached Images

Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-29-2019, 3:14 PM Reply   
Beautiful SL. What color is that? Looks fire red in the top picture and Raspberry in the next picture.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       09-02-2019, 2:18 AM Reply   
Fire Red, but when the light hit it a certain way it does look darker.
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       10-30-2019, 4:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post

But it’s kind of budget friendly like Supra. I love Supra, surfwave is amazing style is amazing, surf technology is amazing but I just can’t deal with the fit and finish.. bu’s are even cheaper these days. Really Sad how the company turns out since a decade.
You've been in a recent Supra? Spent a lot of time in a 2020 SA this summer and I didn't see a thing wrong with fit and finish?

For my money of everything on this list, it would be 2020 Supra SA all day. Manageable size, towable weight, tons of storage (no bags/all ballast subfloor), surf locker, great wave and wake, good interior with great UI, etc.

And a ton is standard. Power tower, all digital dash, crazy good stereo.

X22 is sick, and I think the best boat on this list. But it's not worth $40-50k more.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-30-2019, 10:15 AM Reply   
The last few years i have heard horror stories on new Malibus. I loved my BU's but have spoke to many this summer with electrical nightmares Not sure if its related to specific model. but most have VLX or LSV's so maybe just a few bad luck situations. My neighbors was a mess, but a 2012 mxz22 had ram issues, electrical, controls etc etc, blasast but boat always ran
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-30-2019, 9:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
The last few years i have heard horror stories on new Malibus. I loved my BU's but have spoke to many this summer with electrical nightmares Not sure if its related to specific model. but most have VLX or LSV's so maybe just a few bad luck situations. My neighbors was a mess, but a 2012 mxz22 had ram issues, electrical, controls etc etc, blasast but boat always ran
Watched a buddy buy a Malibu this year. I didn't say much but didn't ' agree with his purchase.. But hey, its his money not mine. He just traded it in, out of the 5 times I went out with him this summer 4 of them we were towed back in.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-30-2019, 11:53 PM Reply   
It always makes me wonder why Malibu has stuck with Medallion this long for their electronics. I’m guessing they are stuck in a long contract.

Every other brand has switched to Murphy electronics. Sure, they have an issue here and there, but the frequency of issues is MUCH less than Medallion, which is why every single other brand has switched to Murphy over the last 10 years.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-31-2019, 2:45 PM Reply   
I got off BU's in 2006 and really loved them. my last 3 centurions have been bullet proof. only issue ever was a moisture fault on one injector, limp mode, warranty covered in 2 days. Caused by bad gas, When you load up to go out and the screen is blank, no balast, no perfect pass, no gauges working, its hard to not lose your mind. This is what i have been hearing but the boat still runs lol so I guess its becoming the alfa romeo of boats. i think they are the most comfortable interiors, and great looking, guess we will see if these buggy issues percist