Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (1stboatguy)      Join Date: Oct 2018       10-26-2018, 6:07 AM Reply   
I have narrowed my search down to a 2017 malibu vlx (left over demo) and a 2018 MB Sports 22 tomcat F22. The OTD price is the same. Main use will be to surf and just hang out with friends on the lake. Not planning on keeping it forever, probably 2/3 years before getting into something else so resale is a factor. All thoughts and opinions are welcome!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-26-2018, 6:32 AM Reply   
21 VLX, or 22 VLX?
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       10-26-2018, 6:48 AM Reply   
Surf wave on the Malibu will be better. Also better resale value
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       10-26-2018, 7:05 AM Reply   
Having surfed both, it depends on what you want. The Malibu gives a very clean wave with a nice defined lip. However, I found the wave to be shorter than I would like in terms of how far I can fall back & struggled to land tricks I can normally land. The MB with GSA provides a very steep wave but it has a lot more push everywhere & I can recover from tricks much easier than I could on the Malibu. Both are great boats, I love MB but resale on them drops quickly where the Malibu holds it value longer. If you're going to get Tomcat I'd wait for the 19's as the new hull is supposed to be really good. I would recommend the MB B52 for a surf boat though especially if you're staying in the 2018 for left over pricing, that thing is a monster & long.
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-27-2018, 2:22 PM Reply   
I have a 16 F22. Surf wave is exceptional. I also get to ride a 17 Malibu 23 lsv. Wave is prettier but considerably less powerful. Malibu wakeboard wake is better than my F22, imo. My F22 rides smoother in chop.
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       10-28-2018, 5:21 AM Reply   
I just tested a bunch of boats by surfing behind them. The most important thing I learned was that the 3 tab surf systems like Tige, Mastercraft, Supra, and Moomba seem to be significantly better then the side systems like Nautique and Malibu Have on shorter boats. I suspect the difference is less on larger boats that displace more water but on smaller boats the forcing down of water by the surf plate gives the wave much more push.

I'm not familiar with the MB but I would not buy a 21VLX if your main goal is surfing. When I tested it, the wave looked amazing inside the boat but when I got behind it the wave had very little power. I just bought my first surf boat last year and when I was researching I didn't take peoples comments about push with enough concern. Now that I know more about surf wakes I realize how important it is. You really cannot judge by the look of the wave.

If you want cheap the Moombas make a great wave. If you want to keep it small and can spend more the new Tige RZX20 is a huge 20'er and makes an insane wave. If you can find a 2018 Mastercraft X20 that boat has a huge wave also.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       10-28-2018, 7:01 AM Reply   
the first thing to do When you buy a boat for surfing is to try the wave. Everybody like their wave differently. Some prefer steeper others mellow. Some love cleaner or with a ton of push. Really depends if you skim or surf too.
I loved the tomcat, really. This boat is amazing for what it give with the GSA. But the nearest dealer is 8hours distance so it was a no for me..

Malibu is very the all around, this boat can handle big crowd without changing anything. Surf and wakeboard are okay. For my opinion vlx is more a wakeboard machine. The surf wave is perfect for skim its high and clean. But for surfstyle hate it..
Everyone have a bu around here.
Really lacks on quality for the price.

I have a Nautique 210 2017 and really love it. Tried all models before and ended up with this one due to few things like reliability, quality and the engine.
Wave is really great for skim and surf, you cant compare NSS with surfgate, totally different.
Wakeboard wake is ok, but definitely surf boat.
With some easy mods like swapping fatsac it can produce the best surfwave for a 21'
But i have to admit my next 2020 Will be a taps surf system and a quick flow like ramfill
like centurion.

Supra wave amazing but lacks a bit on fits and finish.
Tige wave is amazing, but wakeboard hate it.. had a Tige one Time and never again.. back on 2016.
Centurion the best for now on my opinion.
MAster Craft i look forward to try the new 2019. But a bit overpriced for what it gives.

Last edited by Mike88; 10-28-2018 at 7:06 AM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (edgeski1)      Join Date: Jan 2013 Location: Portage, Mi       10-29-2018, 7:31 AM Reply   
I will mirror what most say, If it's all about the wave, the MB has quite a bit better push.
Also, as far as gripes on resale, If you are buying from an established MB dealer, who has had the line for awhile, resale isn't an issue. Where there are hotspots around respectable dealers, there is a demand for a good quality, used MB. Although the Malibu might sell a bit quicker, the MB will still hold value juuust fine