Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-26-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
Just bought two Jabsco ballast puppies for my rear ballast bags and want to use opposite inlet sides on each pump. For example the left pump will inlet on the right side and the right pump will inlet on the left side. So they will need to spin opposite of each other to fill correctly. Is it as easy as just installing one of the switches upside down and changing the face plate of it or is there more wiring necessary?
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-26-2014, 7:25 PM Reply   
You can just swap the wires or you can take the bottom part off of the pump and rotate it 180 degrees. One of my pumps was installed upside down from the factory and was already wired up, so I just too my apart and rotated it. I think there are only a couple of screws to remove.
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-26-2014, 7:32 PM Reply   
You aren't saying swap the ground and the positive are you?
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-26-2014, 7:40 PM Reply   
Here's a wiring diagram from wakemakers. I would switch the ones labeled to motor red and to motor black on one of the pumps.

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-26-2014, 7:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibouys View Post
You aren't saying swap the ground and the positive are you?
The pump is a simple DC motor. The switch actually determines the polarity to the pump, this how the rotation is reversed to make the pump fill and drain.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-26-2014, 7:48 PM Reply   
Just take the plate off the switch, flip the switch upside down, then put the plate back on the switch. Easy as pie. I installed mine backwards initially and had to turn it upside down to get the direction correct.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-26-2014, 10:03 PM Reply   
Argh, so much misinformation... Just swap the orange and black wires on the pump and you are good to go.
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-26-2014, 11:13 PM Reply   
Change over the current by simply switching the positive and negative at the motor. I will go with that. Thanks!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-27-2014, 5:18 AM Reply   
flipping the switch upside down and switching the wires at the pump are really the exact same thing if you think about it long enough. I'm with the flip the switch camp myself. The pump doesn't care which way you hook it up, so there isn't a "wrong" way. You just need to know that one side of the rocker switch gives you fill and the other gives you drain.
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-27-2014, 5:30 AM Reply   
Shawndoggy that helps a ton. As long as it remains wired the same flipping the switch upside down seems to me would accomplish the same thing. Honestly I think there are 3 right answers...flip wires at pump, flip wires at switch or just flip the switch upside down. It does not have a designated ground like other things I've wired since essentially all the current is doing is creating polarity on magnets. Someone tell me if I'm way off base.
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-27-2014, 5:44 AM Reply   
Follow up question are your ballast pumps tied to your key...meaning it has to be turned to accessory or started to turn on the pumps or are they wired direct to constant power from the dash distribution block?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-27-2014, 5:49 AM Reply   
Majority of ballast setups are not tied to the key.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-27-2014, 6:14 AM Reply   
I ran a new power run to the helm just for accessories because I didn't want to overload the factory distro block: