Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Zachstratt12)      Join Date: Aug 2015       02-08-2016, 6:17 AM Reply   
So I'm looking for a CGA approved life vest but one that is very comfortable and feels like a comp vest but without sacrificing flotation or if there are any comp vests that float well please let me know. If any of you guys know of a life jacket like his please let me know.

Thanks
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-08-2016, 7:24 AM Reply   
Ride engine has one coming.

the follow vests are Australian certified to float you.

The jet pilot Murray is a favorite best of mine-use if you have a wider body type.

Ronix Capella as well, better if you have a narrower body type
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-08-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
Oneill Revenge
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-08-2016, 9:00 AM Reply   
Here's my suggestions, based on both function and form (looks).

1) The new O'neill Assault - if you want a front zip. Make sure you get a 2015 or later version of this vest as they made a lot of improvements. New foam (nitro-lite I think they call it). This vest is about as thin and light as they come for USCG and comes in really good colors that aren't too crazy or neon.

2) Hyperlite Hatch (side zip) my only knock in this vest in recent years is the colors are god awful. Really good performing and good looking (form) vest. I loved the 2010 with the black/silver/gold.

3) Ronix Capella - The only thing I don't like about this vest is that the foam segment in the sides, right above your hips, is really thick for some reason. I had a buddy open the seams and remove this foam, then sew it back and seemed to help. It's almost like it feels it will catch the handle when doing spins it sticks so far out from your body....Overall this is a good performing and comfortable vest, but again the colors are usually terrible (they did have an all black one last year) and for some reason it just looks a little wierd to me with all the diagonal stitch lines going everywhere. I know that's for function, but O'neill seemed to pull off the flexibility with the Assault and still make it look more classic.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-08-2016, 1:30 PM Reply   
Oneill Revenge. Spendy, but worth it!
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-08-2016, 9:52 PM Reply   
I purchased an Oniell Assault vest last year, and it was super light, but it was pretty stiff and not too comfy. I'm not sure if they soften up very much, but for the price I didn't want to be stuck with a vest that I didn't like in a year, so I returned it.

I ended up getting a Hyperlite vest from Costco that was really comfy, looked decent, and was only $40
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       02-09-2016, 6:07 AM Reply   
+1 for the Ronix Capella been my favorite vest for years
Old     (thespecimen)      Join Date: Dec 2014       02-10-2016, 11:47 AM Reply   
I had to make the same decision as you last season. I bought the Billabong Raph competition vest and tested it's ability to float me before I rode with it. My verdict is the comp vest floated me enough to feel save wearing it.

Test 1: Floating in the water vertically, no board
- The vest floated me with the water at the top of my shoulders
- I exhaled all the air out of my lungs and I floated at the same level

Test 2: Float on front (to see the lifejackets ability to turn me over onto my back with airway out of the water)
- The vest was not able to turn me over, but really only child and rescue lifejackets are made to turn you over

Test 3: Floating on back with wakeboard on
- The vest floated me with a third of my chest and my face out of the water laying completely horizontally
- I exhaled all the air out of my lungs and my head was still out of the water.

I'm 5'9, 155lbs and body fat around 6% to 8%. And I wore a small Billabong Raph comp vest.

I'm sticking with my comp vest. Once you ride with a comp vest you don't go back.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2016, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespecimen View Post
I'm sticking with my comp vest. Once you ride with a comp vest you don't go back.
I know many people who have changed back to CGA vests, including myself. Wrecking a knee, dislocating some ribs or knocking yourself out can change a persons perspective on what type of vest to wear.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-11-2016, 8:23 AM Reply   
I bought an O'Neill Revenge last year online and felt it was too long in the back and too constricting in general. My 15 year old O'Neill vest felt more comfortable so I returned the new one. It's hard buying a vest without trying it on first.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-11-2016, 12:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
I know many people who have changed back to CGA vests, including myself. Wrecking a knee, dislocating some ribs or knocking yourself out can change a persons perspective on what type of vest to wear.
+1 here. I'm not even as worried about the float protection as much as impact protection. I had a cheap CGA vest and had a fall that bruised my ribs, what a terrible few weeks. After that I got a Ronix Capella and love it. So much padding everywhere, I feel much more confident that it will help with protection. Maybe you guys are in the 'Oh it won't happen to me" boat or just don't mind being injured.... I would love to stay injury free and also recognize falls happen.

I don't really understand the whole 'bulk' complaint. Maybe you guys are just not getting one that fits you right? Mid set I don't even actively remember that I have one on. We are talking about something that's like an inch thick, how does it in any way hinder your performance. I can understand the pro's wanting to somehow squeeze every sliver of performance out of their riding, but otherwise it's a big gamble.
Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-11-2016, 6:21 PM Reply   
Thanks to this thread I talked my self into ordering a Capella vest lol
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-12-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadssv View Post
Thanks to this thread I talked my self into ordering a Capella vest lol
Go for it! My wife's got one too and happy with it. The only downside with it is the side padding makes it hard to 'fold' them in storage
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       02-12-2016, 10:03 AM Reply   
add me to the Ronix Capella. Nice fit.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-15-2016, 10:02 AM Reply   
Is the sizing on the Ronix Capella true, does it run small?
Old     (landonpowell)      Join Date: Feb 2015       02-23-2016, 2:25 PM Reply   
Jetpilot Murray feels just like a comp vest if not better and is a CGA
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       02-24-2016, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelerWake View Post
Is the sizing on the Ronix Capella true, does it run small?
Can't tell is sizing is starting to run small or if I'm just getting fatter...

But they will stretch out a bit with use as well.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-24-2016, 6:49 AM Reply   
CGA is mostly a function of floatation over time. Wakeboarding isn't a sport where you often get stranded at sea. It amazes me that companies still build vests that don't float at all, but they do. That said there are plenty of Comp vests that float you plenty for all wakeboard applications--Out cold, no board, no air in your lungs. Riding a comp vest isn't signing your life away if you use a little common sense.

One thing to discuss, but It probably needs another thread is helmets. It blows my mind when I see overseas videos of guys riding without helmets at parks. You smack your noggin on a jaggedy rail in the Philippines and something that would have just shook you up turns into a life or death situation and you are a long way from a first-world hospital. We can all agree that you long hair/dreads look great and at 35 I do wish I still had hair to flap in the wind, but damn, brain injuries are no joke.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-27-2016, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinoj View Post
Can't tell is sizing is starting to run small or if I'm just getting fatter...

But they will stretch out a bit with use as well.
I ended up getting an XL, it fits great, size chart was correct. Every other vest I've bought was a medium. Anything larger was too loose around the gut. I'm 6', 180, 43" chest, 32 waist.