Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Deeznutz)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-21-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
I lifted the cover up on my boat yesterday after it being covered for almost two weeks, and it was totally wet on and under the seats, and on the carpet...WTF! Will all this moisture cause problems or ruin things. I didn't want to winterize it yet 'cuz I'm still using it during these last random warm days. Any suggestions???
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-21-2011, 4:48 PM Reply   
This might be a dumb question, but was it 100% dry when you covered it? What kind of cover do you have, stored indoors or out, has it ever happened before?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-21-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
What ever cover you have its pretty easy for your boat to collect moisture. Easy fix get a fan moving some air threw your boat . If it does get wet the fan dry's things out pretty quick. 2 small cheep fans moving air around under your cover
Old     (Deeznutz)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-21-2011, 5:31 PM Reply   
My boat is outside right now with just a waterproof tarp covering the whole thing. It was completely dry before I put the cover on it. I just recently got the boat and have yet to dish out the dollars for a custom cover, but that can wait 'cuz it will be stored in the garage for the winter with a home shrink wrap kit done on it
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-21-2011, 6:49 PM Reply   
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get Damp-Rid moisture removers and put about 4 in the boat.You will have to check it at least once a month and drain and refill Damp-Rid containers.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-22-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Definitely dont move to FL! But yes the damp-rid stuff helps. We always left all seats lifts or off and damp rid n this humidity.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-22-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
"waterproof tarp"

You really want a cover like sunbrella that breathes or some other way of pumping fresh air through as Grant mentioned. Mold is hell so avoid it.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-23-2011, 8:37 PM Reply   
The best scenario for outside storage is, a dry boat, a breathable cover, any kind of absorbent placed in a few locations and a small fan circulating air. The boat being completely dry is more important if you are tarping or shrink wrapping for the winter to avoid the greenhouse effect.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-24-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
this works like a champ

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10702
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-24-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
^^^^^^ +1

Thats what I have and living in the Pacific Northwest I have no problems with moisture. I so alos lift up seat cushions to maxamize air flow throughout the boat.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-24-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
"waterproof tarp"

You really want a cover like sunbrella that breathes or some other way of pumping fresh air through as Grant mentioned. Mold is hell so avoid it.
I've prescribed to a combination of these two things. Sunbrella covers and a fan. I would avoid vinyl or those blue tarps as they will trap the moisture.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-24-2011, 6:22 PM Reply   
This is the only thing that worked for me while we lived in Florida and I do have a snap on, breathable cover.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=SPM4963671501
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-25-2011, 7:24 AM Reply   
Damp Rid works wonders
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-25-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
I live in Florida and also use a sunbrella cover and I have the west marine heater fan and a couple damp rids and I have no problems. I make sure the boat is dry before I put the cover on it. During the winter I check on the damp rids and heater fan about every 2 weeks to make sure it is working and the damp rid does not need to be emptied. Also when I take the cover off for the summer the boat smells fresh and not like it has been sitting up for 4-5 months.