Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2017, 9:06 AM Reply   
I was wondering what you recommend for a outdoor heater. As ulgy as this heater looks below I was thinking of getting one.

The fancy tall ones that Everyone has seem they all seem to be either broken or people don't use them, they seem to work when your standing under them but I'm not quite sure what they are like if it's a bit windy or your sitting in a low chair. Our deck chairs are pretty low to the ground (Annarondack style) and I was thinking with the traditional tall hooded heaters the heat has a long ways to go b4 it gets to you and then if it's windy they are at risk of blowing over or the heat is not getting to you.

That's what brought me to thinking this work work good. It sits low and you can point it right at you, and because it's small it Dosent have to just sit on my deck I can haul it down to the garage and warm up a work space, what are your thoughts
Attached Images

Last edited by grant_west; 01-10-2017 at 9:14 AM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-10-2017, 9:13 AM Reply   
If you have access to electricity I'd get a radiant heater. The wind doesn't have that much affect on them because it's radiant heat. I have this one....

http://www.costco.com/Presto%C2%AE-H...100142330.html

The normal fan based space heaters can't project hot air more than a foot or two. If you had any wind then they'd be useless. The costco heater is hot five feet away. The down side is that it has no angle adjustment. And you can't really easily tilt it because of the sensor in the base. And wind could be a problem with blowing over.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-10-2017, 9:50 AM Reply   
I have something like this.... https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-20...Heater/3458948
I think they make a smaller version too...
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-10-2017, 11:40 AM Reply   
Grant, I use the ones like you posted for my shop. The heat they put out fill the shop in a matter of 10-15 minutes. They work great for the space. If you are outside, I am not sure they would keep a large area warm. The heat they put out would rise quickly, unless you have a way to radiate it towards the users in the chairs.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2017, 1:06 PM Reply   
John: I don't think that one is gonna cut it. Yes I have 110 real close but that thing looks like a toy ( great for a office or shop) but I don't think it will do the job on my Open space) I have seen some Plug In infra red heaters that look like I need to check out.

Forrest: that thing looks good. Does it project heat in a 360 pattern. What it like?

Flack; I agree. But the way we would use them is it's just the 2 of us and we can or would put it in front of us and have it directed directly at us. IMO no need to heat a 360 degree area when we are just in a small section of it. In fact I was also looking for a portable or movable out door fire pit.something that directs the heat towards us and not a 360 pattern. We were given a hand me down fire pit and discovered we like it. The outdoor patio fire pit we have now chews threw wood like nobody's business. So that's somthing we wanna invest into also
Attached Images

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-10-2017, 1:24 PM Reply   
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...FQUEaQodFE0D-w

End thread.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-10-2017, 1:31 PM Reply   
I have a set like you posted at the top. Heats things up well. doesn't take up a lot of space. The only real downside is that you really need to think twice before using them in a closed garage/shop. The CO2 that this thing puts out has gotta be bad news in a closed area.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2017, 2:04 PM Reply   
Paul: I have one of the Ready Heaters. Had not thought about using it that way? I guess I could but I think better options exist. That thing works great for getting a garage or space nice and cozy but having it pointed out you and the noise it produces would not be relaxing as well as the smell.
BTW my ready heater is like 30 years old. Still works like a champ
Attached Images

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-10-2017, 2:23 PM Reply   
Grant, you should figure out a way to heat the chairs. that would be cool. Heated Adirondack patio chairs.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-10-2017, 2:26 PM Reply   
http://galanterandjones.com/

heated patio chairs.... FTW

Edit: lolol... just looked at their price. ha ha. N'ermind
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-10-2017, 2:36 PM Reply   
anything that plugs in using 110 will suck. You need 220 for those radiant heaters to feel them, but the downside is they are pricey. budget friendly...those propane tank bolt on heaters are your best bet IMO. if you want a more permanent solution, make the rounds at your favorite outdoor restaurants and find out what they are using.
Old    deltahoosier            01-10-2017, 2:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder View Post
http://galanterandjones.com/

heated patio chairs.... FTW

Edit: lolol... just looked at their price. ha ha. N'ermind
With the electrical cords on them, they look more like the mother in laws chair........
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2017, 2:47 PM Reply   
I was told the 110v infrared Heaters work great.
https://www.amazon.com/ledmart-Outdo...+Heaters&psc=1
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2017, 2:51 PM Reply   
^^^ but this things looks like a toy and not a serious heater??! All the Amazon reviews are people that use it indoors
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-10-2017, 4:40 PM Reply   
My fire pit looks almost exactly like yours. I love mine. You just need to burn oak or almond if you want that fire to last.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2017, 5:37 PM Reply   
All I burn is Almond. Burning wood is great it's hard to beat it. But to keep you warm on a real cold night you have to burn lots of wood. If it's breezy and the wind is constantly changing directions the smoke of bugging the crap out of you, it takes a bit to get a fire dialed in bla bla bla. So what I'm trying to say it's nice to have a alternative to burning wood.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-10-2017, 6:29 PM Reply   
We have an electric infrared heater for our covered outdoor area. For a little 1.5kw box it packs a punch. It is pretty bright tho, you need sunnies on to look at it.
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-10-2017, 9:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
All I burn is Almond. Burning wood is great it's hard to beat it. But to keep you warm on a real cold night you have to burn lots of wood. If it's breezy and the wind is constantly changing directions the smoke of bugging the crap out of you, it takes a bit to get a fire dialed in bla bla bla. So what I'm trying to say it's nice to have a alternative to burning wood.
You clearly have different standards than what anyone here has responded to. Do you really get wind and bitter cold at the same time at Tolloch? It sounds like what you might really need is a wind block. Like add some Lexan-type panels right behind your pot belly iron railing? I get the dealing with the smoke thing too.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2017, 10:16 PM Reply   
It's not like it's crazy windy or anything just a slight breeze from time to time , just enough to shift the smoke, from where your nice and comfortable and then your getting smoked out. We are new to burning wood outdoors. We burn wood indoors almost all winter. Our fireplace is super efficient. Heats the entire home with only 3-5 logs for the whole night. For a outdoor fire you can go threw 10-15 pieces no problem. Don't know if i wanna be burning a cord of wood a year. And like I said it seems like a huge waste to have a fire pit and heat in 360 degrees when we are just sitting in a smal section. I have seen some out door fireplaces that have a back that look like they divert the heat back towards you. Walt showd me this guys fire pits I thought I saw they were up over $1000 they are pretty bad a$$.

Ralph do they make make a larger higher output version of that heater
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-10-2017, 10:50 PM Reply   
http://www.domuslumina.com/en/produc...rared-heaters/
We have the 11, the 66 heats 215 ft2
You could put up multiple units if you needed
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-10-2017, 11:28 PM Reply   
If you go electric, you'll definitely need to add at least one dedicated circuit and that's if only one will do it for you. You'll also need to move your seating closer or further away from wherever it's mounted depending on the temp outside unless you want to pay for a rheostat or risk looking like Joe Pesci in Home Alone. You'll also need to verify if the one you choose is rated for the location you want it in. (Wet/dry). Anything rated to get wet is $$$ and it doesn't look like your deck is covered from the pic. There are an enormous amount of choices at your disposal. Last time I installed one of those it was 240 volt 20 amp and cost about $500 for the unit. The rheostat was around $300 if I recall. Add other materials, labor and a fire pit starts looking pretty good. Sure is convenient to hit a switch though...
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-11-2017, 7:53 AM Reply   
What about gas pr propane Tube heaters? Could be mounted on the house and directed to where you hang. I can handle getting those for you. That is actually what I will be installing in my patio in the next few weeks come I have a plumber lined up
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-11-2017, 7:54 AM Reply   
http://www.reznorhvac.com/en/na/prod...as-radiant-vcs

http://www.reznorhvac.com/en/na/prod...s-radiant-rihn
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-11-2017, 9:53 AM Reply   
Grant, yes heat comes off that heater 360 degrees. The thing that's nice is you don't need electricity to operate it. So we take it on trips such as tailgating in the parking lot of a ski hill in Wisco in Feb/March....
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-12-2017, 11:42 AM Reply   
Pick something from here.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/la-...vWzhoCtSLw_wcB

Or just google outdoor fireplace
https://www.google.com/search?q=outd...place&tbm=shop
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2017, 12:47 PM Reply   
That thing looks pretty modern. Check this one out. I like how you can cook or warm things up
On the flat spot on the top. I also like the Idea of being able to scoot up real close to it and the hood at the back that re directs the heat towards you
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2017, 1:37 PM Reply   
I decided to go to my Local Lowes $ pick up one of the 2 Headed propane space heaters. (Got the last one) & I grabbed a tank. $120 and I'm down the road. I figured this this will work out good because. #1 if it Dosent work out for my deck it will work great in my Man Cave or garage #2 I can return it real easy. #3 when sitting down in a chair it's going to be at a good level for heat blasting right at you. #4 requires no electricity #5 starts and warms instantly,

I think the photo above would be a Ideal outdoor fire place for me, to bad that's a one off custom one from the U.K.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2017, 2:09 PM Reply   
Check out this Bus!
Attached Images

Old     (VanillaGorilla)      Join Date: Nov 2015       01-14-2017, 6:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Check out this Bus!
Now that's cool...um hot. I had a chimenea years ago and we could get it going hot enough to get a blue flame out of it...lol.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-15-2017, 8:54 AM Reply   
Harold found this one.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-29-2017, 5:10 PM Reply   
Got a chance to try out one of these a Neighbor had one and said "here ya go"
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-29-2017, 5:12 PM Reply   
^^^deffantly more efficient" burns way less logs and the heat is good you can sit closer and the smoke is up and out of your face!!!!