Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-17-2010, 9:03 PM Reply   
So I'm taking my wife for a quick trip to NY for her bday. Kinda last minute. Got plane tickets, just don't have accommodations yet. Any advice for decent stay on a budget? We wanna be downtown for sure, central park, time square area. We are only there for 3 days, any must do's while we are there? thanks
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-17-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
It depends, first time to new york? Trying to see all the sites? Are you into art or theatre?
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-17-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
Blue Water Grill for dinner. I lived there for 29 years before I moved to Cali 5 years ago
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-17-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
Eat:

Ippudo
Shake Shack
Momofuku Ssam
Katz' Deli
Alta
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-18-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
It's not cheap but hard to beat the Marriott Marquis if you want to stay right in TS.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-18-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zo1 View Post
It's not cheap but hard to beat the Marriott Marquis if you want to stay right in TS.
^^^ Ditto. You can make pit stops back at the hotel if needed. And it's normally not that bad compared to other places, just on NYE and big weekends.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-18-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
wow, alta, impressive.
Old    SamIngram            10-18-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Whenever I go to NYC I stay at the Hotel Roger Williams in Manhattan. The rooms are small but the location is key and the rooms are very, very nice!

Hotel Roger Williams
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-18-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
thanks for the tips. Keep'em comin. I would say we are more into theater than art. My wife is a big fan of "the soup" so we are going to see Joel Mchale at Carnegie Hall. That's the plan anyhow. Haven't got tickets yet. The price diff is minimal for the better seats so I want to get the good ones, but the good seats are either all sold out already or being released later. Site just says "check back". So if anyone knows him or someone at Carnegie hall...
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-18-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Wife went to college and worked in Manhattan so I've gotten to know NYC pretty well as we go a few times a year.

Marriott at TS is a huge waste of money IMO. For ease of getting around the city I think it's best to stay near Grand Central. All of the subway lines are right there.

We stayed at 30-30 on our last trip and it was a great hotel for $150 a night. http://www.thirtythirty-nyc.com/

NY Helmsley is another one of our favorites but it is slightly more expensive. http://www.newyorkhelmsley.com/

For food and drinks these are three of my favorites.

Beer: http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/

Pizza: http://www.grimaldis.com/

Steak: http://www.keens.com/
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-19-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
anyone in new york that can get event tickets? Looking for Joel Mchale Nov 5 at Carnegie Hall.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-19-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
Jeremy, when Amy and I went to NYC we did a VRBO which is what we do with our house in Chelan. We love it, you get a place to yourself without dealing with hotel like accomodations. Here is a link to TONS of options http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...city/manhattan you can call or text me if you have any questions.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-19-2010, 5:43 PM Reply   
We ate here http://www.mandarinoriental.com/newyork/dining/asiate/ it was one of the most amazing places I've ever dined at. Amazing food and views and if you get a private booth you're in your own world. The waite staff was increadibly knowledgeable too.
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-20-2010, 12:19 AM Reply   
empire state building at midnight, absolutely no crowds and an amazing view of the ny skyline (i avoid touristy spots and this was awesome) we had it all to ourselves

lombardis pizza, spring and mott streets i believe, my wife and i had a large...and a medium redonculous

we stayed at the london, awesome location not the cheapest but a huge room and a great location

ceck out The Stone Rose a bar in columbus circle (the pinnacle of american food meccca) and amzing bar overlooking the park. we started our trip their and finished our trip their. kinda pretentious but worth it.

ottos, this is batalis affordable place near nyu. best bang for the buck food and experience we had.

when i think of more i will post. cheers
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-20-2010, 12:20 AM Reply   
wow my grammer is bad
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-20-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
grammar
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-20-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
hate, that sounds like a good way to travel, but I got antsy and went the priceline route. Ended up with the W New York Hotel for 169/nt. I here the bedrooms are small, but location is good. I'll be able to offer my opinion after I go.

Jeff, couple great ideas there. I know we want to do the "touristy stuff" but I'd rather do it without the tourists. And the Stone Rose sounds like a great way to start the trip.

Again, never been, so excuse the ignorant question, but is there a lot of latenight places? We get in around 11pm the first night, but want to make the most of it so just curious if its bedtime and start the next day, or is the city just getting started?
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-20-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
Anyone live in NY by any chance? I've been checking ebay and CL regularly for tickets and some just came up on CL. I hate CL transactions that aren't face to face.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-20-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
I kept checking carnegie and some box seats finally opened up. I'm all set. Any other input for general NY vaca would be great. Ground zero anyone? I feel its a must...
Old     (MightySAM)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-21-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
if it's your first time to NY, you gotta take the double decker bus. They have a 2day or 3day "hop on and hop off" tour. Its only like $30-$50 per person and it takes you everywhere around new york. The entire tour is around1.5-2 hours, but has about 10-15 stops so you can get off and explore and then get back on instead of getting a taxi. I think it also runs at night too. Great way to experience the city and all it has to offer!
Old     (MightySAM)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-21-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
also, about the "bedtime". we got off the plane into time square our first day at 6am ready to go, and the place was dead, like a ghost town, i swear I saw some tumbleweeds... was wondering what was going on... went out later that night and ask what time bars close, dude said "whenever people stop drinking and leave" We were up til around 4 or 5, I think that is a typical bedtime!
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
Hawk-Aaron might be working then, you might be able to hook up with him he could show you some pretty cool spots.