Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
I just pulled this code P1249Wastegate Fail Steady State Test . I have the wiring assy, on order which is the pressure hoses that go from the (red) accuator to the manifold to the (some electronic thing) and (green hose) that goes from the electronic thing to the air intake. I pulled vacuum on the accuator and it held, if any of you have seen this code before and you tell what your fix was? I don't get the pressure/vacuum hose (wire assy) until Wednesday after work. The part I ordered was F81Z-9E498-DA

Thanks guys!
Old     (93rx7)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-27-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
check out a couple powerstroke forums.. will have much better luck there.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
I would but I get way better luck here. Tighter community!
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-27-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
P1249 typically pops up when the PCM is seeing the turbo get too much boost. Are you 100% stock or running a chip/boost controller?

Also, be sure to check both the red and green vaccum lines for cracks.
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-27-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
I'll also mention that sometimes the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor is reading out of range causing that code to come on. Are you getting the SES light as well?
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
Yes, I get the SES light. I checked my green and red hose's I will have new ones tomorrow. I am running the banks stinger plus kit. I have had for 80K miles with no issue's. So I am leaning towards the hoses, if not then the MAP sensor?
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-28-2010, 4:59 AM Reply   
If the MAP sensor is out of range your PCM would read the turbo running too much boost. See if theres an update for the stinger kit as well, occasionally they need to be reprogrammed as well. If the MAP is good and the stinger kit is working properly you may have an issue with the PCM and connectivity. If you know someone with an IDS see if you can recalibrate the PCM with the latest running instructions.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-28-2010, 6:01 AM Reply   
I think Tyler know his motors!! Dang Tyler, if I ever need any translating on my vehicle, I know who to call! Great job!
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-28-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
I'm always happy to help. Most of what I know comes from constantly fixing my trucks/friends trucks all the time. There are few things more annoying then working on cars and trucks, but I'm always up for a challenge of some sort, keeps me out of trouble.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
To throw in a quick hijack, I have the 6.0 and with light throttle applied in the mph range of 50 -70, it sometimes will start kicking like a mule. I have no idea if its' been flashed or not. Bought it that way and I bought the warranty. I hate to flag it as flashed and void my warranty. Any idears?
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-28-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
The most obvious answer is a bad injector, pretty common occurrence on the 6.0L unfortunately. That or the FICM is out of whack. Truthfully though on those motors it could be anything, I'd have it checked out. Ford won't really be able to tell if your truck has been flashed if the programmer isn't connected, they'll probably just flash it back to factory for you before they even start the diag on the misfire.

Do you have any problems with the truck starting when it's hot? The 6.0 has a weak point in the STC fitting and a loss of pressure may cause a misfire like symptom, but it was also cause a no start/hard start when it's nice and hot(After a long trip). Are you getting any form of light on the dash? When it bucks does the check engine light flash, stay lit, etc?
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
No CEL light ever. easy to start always even after towing a boat for 3.5hrs. The bucking is most common when the engine is "cold" (run for less than 10 min) or the mornings are cool. Current temps in Houston - 80's for the high, mid/high 70's morning commute. It's an intermittent thing and that's what really drives me crazy because that makes it hard to diagnose.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
Oh and could the bad injector be a cause for less than stellar gas mileage? Then again I have 325 65 18, wide wide 33".
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-29-2010, 4:26 AM Reply   
It's definitely possible that a bad injector could be causing all your issues. It may also be a bad o-ring somewhere. To really tell you'd have to air up the system to check for leaks. Any whistling (non-turbo) noises at idle? Diesels are so dependent on pressure even the smallest leak can make them act up. Without a CEL or some more info it's pretty tough to tell you where to start looking. If you've still got some warranty left I'd call a dealer and let them take a look at it.

FYI a bad injector would definitely cause some poor MPG, but you're also driving a huge diesel with huge tires, I wouldn't expect much more then 14-16 on the highway anyways.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-29-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
ok, I get 17-18 when I baby it. I based that on a similar truck where I got 20 on the same stretch, similar conditions, stock sized tires.

No turbo whistling when at idle, just when I cruise and show little to no boost pressure. I will look into further. It didn't kick bad yesterday afternoon or this morning. Weird. I am thinking vacuum or worse electrical. Better train of thought - DEALER problem, lol.

Thanks for the help Tyler! And thanks for letting me jack this post.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-29-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
Fred, when were your fuel filters replaced last?

Maybe try running some of the redline cetane boost/injector cleaner through it. I'd be curious if it'd help. I've seen injectors do some funky stuff if they get clogged up with something small.
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-29-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Fred, when were your fuel filters replaced last?

Maybe try running some of the redline cetane boost/injector cleaner through it. I'd be curious if it'd help. I've seen injectors do some funky stuff if they get clogged up with something small.
Good point. I pulled the fuel rail off my old 6.0L and had rust come out, haha.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-29-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
Yikes.... yeah, they're not joking when they say to change the filters at 15k intervals. They always come out nasty looking.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       04-29-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
I thought the cetane was to reduse the carbon build up on the turbo? Also that the cetane is mostly beneficial on the 6.0's?
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-29-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
fuel filters - both replaced in a pep boys parking lot - 2 wks ago, water seperator emptied same time.

Almost gone through a gallon of Cetane.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-29-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php/products/Overboost
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-29-2010, 9:51 PM Reply   
just to pass on some more info on the 6.0 i just replaced all my injectors after dealing with a bucking and surging issue under light throttle. these engines require oil changes every 3k miles and be sure to use motorcraft filters for both oil and fuel. this is not a warranty issue, but some aftermarket products do not fit properly. also use a fuel booster , i also will be adding a quart of hot shot secrets at every oil change, i ran 2 quarts for 2k miles and the inside of my engine was very clean,,no build up. the 7.3 engine is an awesome motor, i wish i never sold mine, if the new 6.7 ford designed motor is as good as the 7.3, i will be running to get a new one...
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-30-2010, 4:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortbike View Post
just to pass on some more info on the 6.0 i just replaced all my injectors after dealing with a bucking and surging issue under light throttle. these engines require oil changes every 3k miles and be sure to use motorcraft filters for both oil and fuel. this is not a warranty issue, but some aftermarket products do not fit properly. also use a fuel booster , i also will be adding a quart of hot shot secrets at every oil change, i ran 2 quarts for 2k miles and the inside of my engine was very clean,,no build up. the 7.3 engine is an awesome motor, i wish i never sold mine, if the new 6.7 ford designed motor is as good as the 7.3, i will be running to get a new one...
I'll let you know, I pick my 6.7 up on Saturday.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       04-30-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
Chaun, why is it I have never had a problem with my truck boosting 25psi for the last 80K miles and then all of the sudden I get the DTC codes for all my driver side glow plugs, I get that fixed, then I get the P1249 code? Weird? So I replaced the the green and red wiring assy (which is just tubing) and the selinoid that opens when you over boost I guess. Anyway the SES light went back on. So now I need to go get the code read again! UGH!
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-30-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Dave, Did you have just the plugs replaced or did they replace the glow plug harness as well?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-30-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Michael... No way on the 3k oil changes. I go 5k and it's probably more regularly than it needs to be done. Ford calls for 7500 under normal operating conditions. The oil I take out at 5k is still totally clean. I guess it really depends how hard you run the motor.

I do agree on the motorcraft filters, though. They're expensive, but fit much better. I've tried some after market filters, but will use motorcraft from here on out.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       04-30-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
Tyler, I replaced 2 under the valve cover harness' and 8 glow plugs and 2 valve cover gaskets.
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-30-2010, 11:36 PM Reply   
i agree evan that 3k is overkill, but after researching why injectors on the 06 have an issue with sticksation{sp} where the injector begins to stick, the reason is there is a failure to properly lube the back side of the injector as oil breaks down it sticks on the back side of the injector after time you will notice bucking and surging , the dealer will tell you that you have bad injector's, there is a product called hot shot secrets, developed for navistar which builds the 6.0 , by a co. in Ohio to address this issue, check out the website for some interesting info, also had a master diesel tech for ford tell me about the 3k oil changes, got some good info on powerstrokes.org..... and tyler please post pics of your new 2011 congrats!!!! and i know you will enjoy it..........
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       05-06-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
I replace the GPCM and all is fixed!
Old     (dirtracer27x)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-06-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
dieselstop.com has great info,i had my 04 bucking but ended up to be alot of things,ie:head gasket,ouch.started burnin water.luckily it was still under warranty.now i just need to track down this pesky wiring harness issue
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
purchased my hot shot secret yesterday. We will see. Also it is time anyway to get the oil change, will go ahead and do that myself this weekend - all motorcraft of course.

thanks all!
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-21-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
I put the hot shot secret in last Fri, finally. I have had 4 tanks of fuel go through the system, approximately 1000miles and 3hrs on a location at idle with the AC going. I still had some issues the last couple of nights when the air cooled off, but today, none, not even slightly.
I still think it's premature to say it worked but so far so good.

On another note, I noticed that slowly but surely I am losing coolant now. I plan to pull the egr and clean it and hope for the best. I have warranty tho!