Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-26-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
does anyone know how to pour gas from a gas can super fast? ive seen the pros do it and cant find any info.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-26-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
The pros use special fast pour fuel jugs, it's not your everyday Walmart gas can.
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-26-2010, 6:15 PM Reply   
Goto your local dirt bike shop they should have fast pour jugs for ya. If not Summit Racing has them.
Old    sandvign            01-26-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
Get about 5 feet of plastic tubing, like the tubing used for ballast systems. Stick it all the way to the bottom of the gas gas and put all the rest into the boats tank. Make sure that the hose going into the boat is below the lowest point of the gas can. Use your hand to make a sort of cup/seal type of thing around the hole where the hose goes into the can. Make sure its air tight, or pretty dang close to it. Then slightly open your hand, take a DEEEEP inhale and blow everything you have into the gas can. Quickly closing your hand again to seal it back up. This starts a syphon and the tank will empty super fast. I bet a 5 gallon tank takes probably 45 seconds to empty. I usually use a junk towel or something to keep gas off my hand. You probably wont get it to work at first but once you get it figured out you will love it.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-26-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
http://www.boatshowproducts.com/super-siphon-hose

I think that is what you are looking for...

Or you could go to lowes and get about 6ft of clear tubing that you can put one end at the bottom of the 5 gallon can and the other end in the boat.
Close off all the air holes around the tubing end thats in the can. Then squeeze the can until the gas starts to flow. then the laws of physics or whatever will take over and you can let go and it should pretty much empty the can in no time
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-26-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
Siphon it!
You can do 5 gallons in about 20 seconds
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-27-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
http://www.hunsakersports.com/html/fuel_jugs.html
I have a couple of the 13 gallon ones....they dump gas very fast. around 10-15 sec for 12-13 gallons.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Nick is right on with the tube part. I used to pressurize the can by blowing into it like he said...however I am now learning to seal off the opening with my hand and simply squeeze the can...a bit better than the old "blow into the can" routine.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-27-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
What's the purpose of needing gas cans? Is this for boats or PWC that stay on the lake (no trailer or don't want to trailer to fill up) and don't want to pay marina prices?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-27-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
M-Dizzle, I know what you mean. We use to have jeep cans with one large tube and one small tube. You blew in the small one to get it started. Once I blew to hard into the tube and gas came shooting back out into my face and eyes. It sucked. I suppose you could probably put some sort of pump on the small hose to pressurize it if you wanted to get fancy
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-27-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
anyone use those siphon tubes? I have 6 moto jugs, but would prefer not to lift them, the cap on my 236 is right near the vinyl (stupid spot for it)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-27-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
Nick & Brett, you can do the siphon without blowing into the can, you don't even need to seal it. We use a narrower hose so it takes a little longer. All you do is put the hose in the tank and the other end in the can, grab the hose at the can and move it up and down quickly. This will get the gas flowing and the siphon going. Much easier than cupping and blowing and getting gas on your person.

Edit: As a matter of fact, B Riddicks's link shows exactly what we use and how we do it. It's all in the wrist...

(Message edited by stephan on January 27, 2010)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-27-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
I siphon by putting the hose in the can, in the tank, then just push in on the sides of the can and that starts the flow
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-27-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
AJ, The gas on our lake is 75 cents more per gallon. My boat stays on a lift so putting it on the trailer just to go get gas is a pain. I lug the cheap 5 gallon cans for now. I will probably upgrade to the MX style bigger cans this summer.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-27-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
I like the Hunsaker cans as well, but I had one of the 13 gallon ones split on me and my garage smelled like gas for quite a while. I'd like to get my hands on some of the 8-gallon ones. Anyone know where I can get these for cheap?
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-27-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
If anyone is looking for some comercialization ideas, it would seem that making a new cap with a larger diameter drain/fill tube and a bigger vent is all you really need to fill fast with your standard cans. It makes sense to have a small diameter tube when filling your lawnmower or chainsaw, but it would seem someone could cheaply make rapid fill 5 gal cans lids and vents to screw right on your standard can. I would buy 5 now.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-27-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
Hunsakers are not cheap. I have 3 6-gallon cans but could use a couple 8's. I would like to know a cheap source as well.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-27-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
take a 1 inch hose and an old towel.
Put the hose in the can and fueltank,now take a old towel or rag and use it to block air comming out of the can.squeeze the fuel can with your knees or 1 hand and knee until the siphon goes.Remove the rag ,voila,..superfast siphon.
it takes some practice but it works.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-27-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
Thanks for the ideas, I will try that hose idea this summer!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
Oh yah, and for those who are anal about not getting crap in the gas line (or dislike the smell of gas) I use a 3/4 inch 1.5 inch long metal npt pipe which I insert into a heated up 1" clear hose half way. When I am done siphoning fuel I will take the non-attached end of the hose and slide it over the other portion of the 3/4 inch fitting creating a circle of tube that wont get any crap in it. Plus the tube with the 3/4 NPT pipe on it has a little extra weight to pull it down to the bottom of the 5 gallon can.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-27-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
the hunsakers are fun to watch rookies fill. we use those jazz jugs too and they are a tad bit faster than the hunsakers
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-27-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
get one of those cans that they use in formula one racing haha
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-27-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
The F1 fill setups are nice but they cost more than a new boat loaded to the nines. It might be better to just have a new boat on the other side of the dock with the tank already full. Also useful if you ding a prop.

If you get a regular plastic gas can with a straight spout, instead of the flexible ones, and a separate air breather you can drill the air hole to twice it's original diameter and the gas flows quickly out.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       01-28-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
I upgraded from what Stan on this site did. 3" (maybe 4") PVC tube with reducers to a 1" hose. I have a 4" opening and about 8-10" of that size PVC as a funnel, then I run the 1" hose into the boat. I pour direct from my gas cans without messing with the funnel/nozels they come with. Pours as fast as my can will with very little mess.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       01-28-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Upload
The cap is on here, but you get the idea.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
I'm looking around for some descent gas cans for a reasonable price & found these.

Only a 1 yr warranty, where VP & RJS have like a 5 yr. And you still have to buy the hose for it, which is another $9.

Prices on these stupid fuel jugs are ridiculous. I've tried siphoning & what a PITA. Maybe I'll give M-Dizzle's suggestion a try.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-04-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Hey David, Is the reason for the change to hunsaker 13 gallons to 8's because of the weight? I was going to get a couple larger Hunsaker's and was not sure of 8's or 13's. I already have 3-5 gallons which you can actually get 6 gallons into.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-04-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Weight and the split I got in the one. My garage gets super hot and I'm sure that contributed to the split, so I don't want that to happen again. Plus, the 8-gallon version will be easier to handle and will cut down on the number of 5-gallon cans I've got.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-04-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
I would have thought that the air valve would have popped at some point. My cans can get a little bloated but I never thought about them splitting...eek. I would not want 13 gallons of gas on my garage floor.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-04-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
Yeah, me too. I can't even get a hold of them to get a replacement. I wonder if they went out of business or something. Seems like there is a big need for quick fill cans, but not many people making them.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-04-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
I spoke with them 2 months ago and something seemed odd. I purchased another jug from a distributor who also mentioned problems communicating with them. Love the fast pour and white containers.

I wonder if the fuel jug police caught up with them. Most of these "good" jugs are listed as liquid or water, not fuel canisters. I find that the new inexpensive containers make a bigger mess than the old.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
I hear that, Tim. I'm going to look for a kerosene container at the hardware store tonite. Looks like they still make them the old way with the regular nozzle & vent.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-04-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
I saw on someone companies site a plastic replacement vent. People were punching holes in their new cans and installing the replacement vent to get them flowing. Good idea.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-04-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
Many places have stopped with the dump cans. This is one quick pour solution.
http://stockcarproducts.com/fuel3.htm
and here is the for fast pour
http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/Scribner-Gas-CanDump-Jug-Filler-Hose-with-Flow-Control-Valve-_p_398.html

These guys do make dump cans and fast pour jugs. They have dealers everywhere.
http://www.fuelsafe.com/index.htm
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-04-2010, 9:22 PM Reply   
For the guys using the PVC pipe and ball valve setups - does gasoline not eat PVC? Never tried it.

When I was in the ski club, they had an approximately 8 ft length of clear fuel hose that was pressed onto a tapered old school nozzle. They had a bunch of the old school 6 gallon cans with the vents. First step was to shove a bunch of the hose down the filler neck into the tank. Next step - attached it to the can on the dock. Then remove the vent completely, pick it up. Within about 1 minute the entire 5.5 gallons was in the boat. The can would collapse just a tiny bit. Very fast. Problem now is - we cant find anymore old school vented 6 gallon cans, or old school nozzles for the new cans on the market.

(Message edited by witness140 on February 04, 2010)
Old     (wakefish)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-04-2010, 11:45 PM Reply   
Upload

Gas caddy seems the way to go.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       02-05-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
Jerry,
Mine's been on there for 3 years, I've had to replace the flex hose once and probably will again this spring. Otherwise, no issues yet. The gas isn't in the PVC for long really, I know there's some residual left when I'm done but it doesn't seem to have any issues.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-05-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
Gas Caddy is slow slow slow..

I don't have that much time on my hands....

The hose method works great...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
We have about 50' of deep, sugary sand to walk thru to get to the dock. Gas caddy would be a LOT of fun when it was full.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-05-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
I never understood how you get the gas caddy in and out of the SUV. Do you need a truck with ramps or can you lift it?
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-09-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
^^ my thoughts exactly!

25 gals X 6 pounds... 150 # just in fuel, without adding the weight of the caddy. yikes!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-09-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
^^^ we use two people if they are around. If not, I have a ghetto ramp I use. It's very heavy by itself. Over time those wheels tend to break. There is a better one out that has 12 inch wheels on it, lol. It's very durable.

I've been on the water for about 5 years and tried almost everything. I primarliy use a 15 gallon gas caddy now with an upgraded hose/nozzle.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
I managed to find this Jegs fuel jug replacement vent for just a few bucks. So I'll be making use of of the new style cans with a real vent. I even found a couple of old style nozzles in my garage too.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-09-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
^^^^ I have been looking for replacement vets forever! thanks!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
The JEGs cans have the vent low on the handle. I would think this would spit fuel?
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-09-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
Adam, just curious, I have a gas caddy too What upgraded nossle/hose do you have and does it pump faster? The gas caddy is so slow it's annoying. I only use it when our 600 gal fuel tank is empty and waiting on them to fill it up, but it'd be nice if it was faster. Our fuel tank is hooked up to the electricity and pours faster than any gas station I have seen but if I forget to tell them to come fill it up it does no good haha.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
Or I can drill a hole anywhere on the can I want for the vent to go. I'm going to use the newer style Blitz cans that come with the CARB approved ventless spout.... then install the Jegs vent high on the back like they used to come. And then use an older spout from an older can that has seen better days. I'd like to find some new spouts too but haven't gotten that far yet. And have old ones for now.
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-14-2010, 6:26 AM Reply   
Thanks Bill!

I have several cans with that Jeg's style Vent that are busted.

Most of my 6 gallon cans (all old style) had the screw type vent, which I MUCH prefer.

I guess you could "retro-fit" new cans with this vent, is that what you were thinking?
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-14-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
My boat is on a lift as well and 13 gallon gas caddy (gas pal) works for me. We don't go out all day, so I never use more gas than that. Fits in the back of all my vehicles no problem and one person can manage lifting it out and rolling it out to the dock with much less effort than 5 gallon cans. It is a little slow draining, but I start that first while getting the boat ready to go. So, it's typically close to done by the time we are ready to push out. I would be interested in a faster drain, though if anyone has any ideas. Not clear to me how exactly you would take out the current fitting and install a new one.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
You got it, Todd. Even found the old style spouts on Ebay.

Got the vents in yesterday. Drilled a 1/2" hole in the new can & popped it in.
Upload
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-14-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
Thanks Bill - man, those spouts are SURE expensive.

I wish I could find just the old-style CAP, I don't need 15 SPOUTS ... I could share just a few...

Todd