Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (familyman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-21-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
I need some thoughts from the wakeworld family. I have just recently started looking to buy a good family wake board boat. I have a deal offered to me for a brand new 2008 Moomba Outback V for $29,995 (30k) w/ full warranty etc.

Could anyone give me advice as to if this is a good deal? I know the season is coming to an end so I;m not sure if I should wait till next year or even during the winter to possibly find a better deal.

Is getting new good or is it more advisable to go w/ a used, if so what is a good used?

I would love to get the Mobius LSV but the price is too high for us.

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (texasmoombav)      Join Date: May 2009       08-21-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
I have an 09 Outback V and absolutly Love it. It is great all around boat. Haven't had any problems so far. If you have any specefic questions feel free to ask
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-21-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
Wow that is a great deal. Snap it up man you won't regret it!
Old     (familyman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-21-2009, 4:05 PM Reply   
How many people can you comfortably sit in it?

I have heard some talk of the cussioning not being that comfortable?

Does it suck gas or is the gas usage ok?

Also, do you think that is a good price for an 08 or do you think I can get a better deal (if you know)
Old     (familyman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-21-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
thanks DB for the endorsement!
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-21-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
We had an '05 Mobius LSV which is the same boat as the new Outback V. Low freeboard, no room to upgrade front ballast in the locker however still a great starter wakeboat. Add Perfect Pass and a stereo and you're in business. Good price too. We paid 35k in '05 for that boat. Jump on it.
Old     (bigjokerinthebox66)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-21-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
I dont know where your at, but this is a good deal on an 09 XLV

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1323565680.html
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-22-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
That sounds like a awsome deal. I love mine. Wake gets alot bigger with High Fly Vdrive sacs in the rear. Alot stepper! GO for it.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-22-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
Make sure you sit down in the boat before you buy it. Seats are very low.

I hear the 09 Outback V is much improved...
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-22-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
Your family isn't going to care how low the seats are. If you can afford to get into the boat do it! The family memories you will create are priceless!
Old     (big_boss)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-22-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
I've got an '07, and I love it. The seats are lower to the floor than most other boats, and the freeboard is low. You have to pay a little more attention to the bow when hitting rollers than other boats also. These are minor complaints that haven't reduced our enjoyment of the boat at all. Fuel economy is better than I expected it to be, although since this is my first boat I have nothing to compare it with.

That does sound like a good price. I would buy mine again in a second. There is something to be said for buying a brand new boat.

The wake has been plenty for us to learn over the past 2 years. More ballast is next on my to-do list, but I have no complaints about the wake. With the right people in the right places, makes a pretty good surf wake too.

The boat is rated for 10 people, but 8 adults is about all you want in there on a regular basis. I had 9 guys of at least 170lb last summer, and damn what a wake. It was really cramped though. Mix in a couple of kids, and 10 is doable for sure.

Moomba made some big changes for '09, but I don't know what kind of deals you can find on '09's.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-22-2009, 4:35 PM Reply   
Ask them if they have any demo LSV's. I bought an 07 demo last year with 15 hours. I love my boat and am very happy with it.

I didn't even look at the OBV just because of the low free board. But I know a few ppl that ride behind one and they say the wake is good with extra weight ! And almost everybody adds more weight at some point.

Good luck...
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-22-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
I have an 07 outback v and love it. Though Id take Jeffs advise because 4 months ago my dealer had left over NEW 07 LSV's for 30K!!!! I paid 32K for my Outback V in Feb 2008. If you cant find any of those then pull the trigger on the outback!!!!! Anyway you need xtra weight in the nose along with the stock about 400-700 lbs depending on the peeps. Dont regret you will love it. Oh and no matter how you slice it moomba cruise sucks
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-22-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
and almost everybody adds more weight at some point.

I hear your running close to 7000#'s now LOL
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-22-2009, 9:39 PM Reply   
Not quite 7k LOL.... And I still ride like crap, Danny likes it dumped though !

I don't mind my ez-cruise? Most of my drivers got it figured out.
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-23-2009, 5:39 AM Reply   
"Oh and no matter how you slice it moomba cruise sucks"

I agree about the Moomba Cruise. I removed it after I purchased the boat and replace it with a Perfect Pass Star Gazer. After I dialed it in, never had any problems. Yes it is a great starters boat for anyone I agree. I had done a few mods to last a few more seasons before I upgrade. I removed the sprinkler valve system and put in individual pumps. Sytem works awesome.
Enjoy your new boat and come visit us at http://moomba.com/msgboard/index.php
Tazz
Old     (texasmoombav)      Join Date: May 2009       08-24-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
You should look for an '09 if you can.
They increased the ballast fill speed, and added a few other nice features.
I personally don't mind the moomba cruise, it certainly isn't perfect but does the job.
the capacity of mine is 12. 9 is about tops without being too crowded.
The gas consumption is pretty good, definitly varies on how much weight you have in the boat.
Old     (familyman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-24-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
That would be great to get a demo LSV for about the same price. I would like to have the option to have more people fit in comfortably.

Justin, so you have the 09 outback rated at 12. I see they made the boat about 1.6 ft less than the prior year models.

Has that been an issue for you w/ the 20ft?
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       08-24-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
The ONLY thing I didn't like about the 09 outback V was the limited bow space and the tower. The tower was merely a personal preference thing, I thought the tower on the mobius looked more slanted, real close to the supra towers and liked it better, but the big thing and real decider was that the mobius LSV just has more room, especially in the bow. You can get killer deals on 08 LSV's right now. Just a thought. Good luck man.
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-24-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
ya the tower is pretty skimpy on the outback V and older mobius lsv. It rattles like crazy if you have 4 boards, tower speakers, and lights on it. The freeboard on it is low, the boat needs lots of weight to get a real good wake, but cant take much weight or else it sits dangerously low in the water. for a beginner though, its a great ride, and for the price, its a good deal. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a newer Mobius LSV.
Old     (texasmoombav)      Join Date: May 2009       08-24-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Bryan,
No, the 20ft length has not been an issue at all. Honestly I really wanted the LSV but couldn't pull it off financially. I haven't regretted my decision one bit. Also, alot of these guys are talking about the low freeboard but the 09 has a deeper hull so this isn't as true anymore. I have loaded mine up with 2000+ ballast and still didn't take waves over the bow.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       08-24-2009, 4:05 PM Reply   
Bryan is right about the floor height, it's deeper on the 09, but as I stated earlier, the bow on the 09 is smaller than on the 08, which is a TOTALLY different hull design from 08 to 09 anyway, 09 is all new in almost every respect. Demo it, talk with your dealer, he can transfer boats from other licensed SC dealers as well, so if you find one out of state that's perfect, there's a good chance it can be transferred to your local guy as long as both are SC licensed dealers. good luck and demo demo demo unless you're 100% sure of what you're after.
Old     (familyman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-24-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
Thanks. You guys are all great! I'm checking around to see if I can find a good deal on an LSV. I found a new 08 LSV for 35k but that puts me in the issue of going above my budget. They are trying to see if they can get it lower. We will see. It isn't the 09 but I'll have to see what the difference is btwn the yrs.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
Bryan... I can empathize with your predicament... trying so hard to stay on budget. I was the same way, but I eventually broke down and spent that extra $5K to get the boat I really wanted. Now that I look back on that decision, I can't believe how much I struggled with it. I'm really glad I got the boat I did.

In my mind, the difference between an '08 and '09 Outback V is HUGE. To step all the way up to the LSV is even BIGGER. To think you can make those two HUGE steps for only $5K would be a no-brainer for me.

In a few months you'll have long since forgotten about the $5K but I promise you that you'll be glad you got the LSV. They are just bigger and better in every way. As long as the bigger boat doesn't cause you storage problems I think you'll be stoked with the bigger LSV.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-24-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
....5 grand in your life time isnt much....if you can pull it off go for the lsv......you would probably uprade the outback v later....for a bigger boat.....you will lose more than 5 grand in transactions and taxes.....while with the lsv you wont outgrow it and the only reason to get another boat will be because you have money growing out of your ears and dont know what to do with it.
Old     (familyman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-24-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
This discussion board is awesome...the first time I've ever gone on one. I'm sold. LSV here I come.

But I do have one more concern. Of course I and the kids are more excited about this than my wife.

Does anyone have a good story or some liner that calmed the wife's nerves with "spending so much for a boat"?

Regardless, after the comments above I'm shooting for the LSV. Also, I am trying to make money come out of my ears.

I'm a bit weary of working for these big corps. I'm ready for my own business. One big reason I want a boat is to get away from all the daily work and grind stuff. Nothing better to get away from everything. Some R&R is very important!
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-24-2009, 8:23 PM Reply   
we have an 08 lsv, our family has loved it. great ride, affordable, no problems, sorry i don't have a line for your wife, i just bought it, i still get grief about it from her. she does like the ride much better than the IO we had, and the room! and the PP!
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-24-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
Easy to for forgiveness rather than permission.

This is some thing you can do as a family.

A great excuse to get away for the weekend.

If all else fails and she still says no do it any way you won't regret it. Sooner or later she will for give you. Just be prepared to sleep in the boat a couple times LOL.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2009, 10:33 PM Reply   
My kids are 3, 5, 7, and 9. So keep that in mind.

Here are a few things to share with your wife:

1) We are a very busy family during the school year with school, sports, etc. But my wife and I got tired of sitting around on Saturdays during the summer wondering what to do. Some days we'd end up at the mall just wandering around, wasting the day away. Other times we'd stay home and just listen to the kids bicker, etc. It was just so hard to think of an activity that could entertain a 3 year old equally well as a 33 year old. The boat is the answer. Everybody has fun, every time! It helps that the ramp to our favorite water, the Willamette River, is just 10 minutes away. So we can get on the water even on weekdays after dad gets home from work!

2) Built in vacations that are inexpensive. Once you have invested in a boat, the vacations come easy and cheap. Just go camping as the lake of your choice. This summer we've camped at Shasta, Billy Chinook, and Merwin. Camp sites cost $15/night and we spend the days on the water. Camping is a lot of work with little kids, but they LOVE it.

3) If your kids are like most kids, when they get older they probably won't want to spend much time with mom and dad. The exception to that rule is the boat. I don't know a teenage kid who wouldn't drop everything to go boating. It's the ultimate family activity in that it forces all to be together in a small space and everybody gets to enjoy the boat in their own way. Also, you will find that your teenagers will bring their friends along with them (another reason to get the LSV).

All this for $35K and a warranty to boot! If I were you I wouldn't squeeze the dealer anymore on price. Agree to the $35K, but play the budget card and say that to exceed your budget by that much the boat has to be set up EXACTLY the way you want it. Then start asking for the extras: tower speakers, racks, mirror, perfect pass, dual battery, heater, bimini, cover, pro shop gear, spare prop, etc. It's often easier for a dealer to throw that stuff in because they have it sitting around, as opposed to giving you a real discount.

Upload
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-24-2009, 11:11 PM Reply   
I got mine because my wife likes Red. And I have a very red boat !

Maybe let her pick out the colors? That could be all it takes.

Don't know where you live but if it's close to Nor-Cal I can give you a ride and let you see if the LSV fits your needs.
You will have to pull me though !!!
Old     (poland34)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-25-2009, 3:09 AM Reply   
Bryan,

How about this, i sell you my 08 Outback V so i can buy my LSV. Just kidding man, if i had to do it over again i would go for the LSV. Regardless of your decision you will not regret the Moomba.
Old     (moombadaze)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-25-2009, 4:49 AM Reply   
"spending so much for a boat"?

thats not what your doing. you are INVESTING in family fun for years to come

hit up moomba.com forums section
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2009, 5:21 AM Reply   
my wife was against it...but once she saw the actual boat and sat inside........well these boats speak for themselves ,they are beautiful!

Another thing you will be happy with on the lsv is the sturdy beefy tower....nothing worse than a shaky one.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2009, 5:31 AM Reply   
you tell your wife that you know this mike guy, he is a nice guy and has a couple kids.....and he spent more than us on a boat so we are actually saving some money,honey!....then tell her you luv her and smile!
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-25-2009, 6:51 AM Reply   
Before I got my 24SSV I was afraid my fiancee' was going to become my ex, but after getting it she enjoys it as much as I do. She likes to go on the sunset cruises when the lake isn't packed and the water isn't rough. It allows for some private time, if you can sneak out from the kids. It's peaceful and as the above poster said, before I had the boat (or my last boat), the weekends were boring as hell with little ot no activities except hiking or golf. Now I have something that all my friends can go out on, drink some cold ones and act like an idiot for a few hours having fun and boarding.

The cheap vacation trick helped convince my lady as well.
Old     (familyman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-25-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
I love the advice. This is like I have a new family=)

Guess what happened when I got home from work yesterday? I was sitting down at the table and my wife comes home with the kids, gives me a big kiss and then tells me that she would like to go w/ me on Saturday to look at the boats??

I was shocked? I did not understand what happened? Maybe it was the prayer that God would help her understand her crazy husband? I did not think that God would be so interested in me getting this boat for the family but maybe he does?

Ixfe, what you explained about keeping the family together as the kids grow hits home. That is what I want. My greatest memories as a kid was when I was out on the boat with family and friends. Those are the memories that I cherish.

Moombadaze, I love the "investment" in family fun for years rather than "spending".

Aaron, looks like I might not have to sleep in the boat after all.

Jeff Hill, I am in Nor Cal.close to the Bay area but I'd love to take my wife and check out your boat and of course pull you.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-25-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
Bryan If you come down to check out Jeffs LSV ill bring out my Outback V so you can see them side by side.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
Since this a moomba thread. How is the maneuverability of the LSV, and how is it storage and space wise? Also what weight do you need to get a solid wake out of it?
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-25-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
pics of our lsv wake, we have the gravity 3, 400 in front, 400 in right rear, 650 in left rear for surfing the pics are of the wake with 400 in all 3 bags, and 3 people in the boat. speed is 22.5 and rope is 70 or 75
Upload
Upload

the surf wave pic is before the bag upgrade but with 7 people in the boat.
Upload

i am not doing advanced inverts, but some others that ride are hitting them. i am totally happy with the wake.

this is also a "convince the wife/family to buy a boat thread" my 14 yr daughter just started w2w last week, my 10yr daughter goes all over on the kneeboard. in the lsv, we can go out with the whole family (4 kids) and another family or each kids can bring a friend. plenty of room for all the people and their gear.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
Hit me up. I live close to the Sac airport. And there is a launch right by there.

I run my boat heavy sometimes and when it is dumped it can be a bit of a handful in a tight turn under power ! But that is with a full triangle sac in the bow and full 750's in the rears,Plus 400 in pop bags.

Plenty of storage under the observer seat, If you have stock ballast in the rear lockers there is still a lot of room for things. I put 750's in mine and they fill up the lockers almost all the way. I think the wake is good, It does like weight up front.

My wake isn't the biggest or the best out there, But it is definitely not the worst.

I've only had 1 person tell me it was small and that was before the upgrades...LOL
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-26-2009, 11:29 PM Reply   
Bryan,

A couple of upgrade items I would recommend after purchasing a 2008 Supra 22V last year. If you did not know, SC makes Moomba and Supra. Supra is similiar to the Moomba, little different hull design (100-102" beam) but basically the same hull. Supra uses a little different components, but there are similiarities in the boats.

The pop out heaters are awesome, your wife and family will appreciate them. For early morning and late evening they are used all the time on my boat. I would also recommend the Z5 cargo rack, with kids you will be using all types of water toys (kneeboards, surfboards, tubes, etc..) The Z5 will hold 3 kneeboards, 3 surfboards and a tube. Plus you will have the racks for the wakeboards. Its an awesome upgrade, and so worth it. One other item is the swivel board racks, with kids it makes it so much easier to unload and load them. Without these I guarantee someone will drop a board on your boat (seen it happen on my friends boat). 4 wheel disc brakes on a trailer are also great to have, and safe. Especially with your boat fully loaded with camping gear, coming down hills I cant even feel my boat, it never pushes the vehicle and will stop incredibly well.

These are just some recommendations for dealer add-ons, not a deal breaker, but stuff that you will definitely appreciate and might ask for when you purchase your boat.

As a kid, my parents had a boat for years and I grew up skiing on the delta. I still have a lot of memories with my parents and brother skiing and camping.

This was our first boat purchase as a family, I have three kids, ages 6 to 15. They did not know what a wakeboard was at the beginning of the year. 120 hours later on my boat to date, my 6 year old is jumping the wake on a wakeboard, my 14 year old daughter is doing the same, and my 15 year old son is even doing more. My wife also is wakeboarding, and jumping the wave. It has been a great purchase for us, they are not cheap toys, and having a place to store them is also something to keep in mind. Keeping them indoors when not using them is key, try and not to store it outside, this will definitely make your boat get much older, very quickly.

You family will have a great time, there have been evening we just launch the boat, bring the kids homework out and relax on the lake and dont even ski. I also have had 10 teenagers out for the day on the boat and that was one hell of a day. Burned 35 gallons of gas, we went non-stop from morning to almost dark.... great time with my sons friends.

Now my kids are back in school and sports are ramped up, so unfortunately I have to go out with the guys from work during the week and have the entire lake to ourself!!! Hey, somebodys gotta do it!

Good luck on your purchase.... if you have any more q's please ask.