Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2015, 12:13 PM Reply   
As an FYI, my boat is a 2014 Supra SC 450 not a 2015 - which seems to be almost the same as the 2015 other than the 2015s now use a raptor engine. I purchased the 2014 new last fall as it was remaining inventory from 2014 and they needed to make room for the 2015s. I now have a little over 20 hours on the boat (mostly riding time as we don't cruise much - either we are pulling a rider or stopped swimming of the boat). We come from a 2005 Supra 21V and a 2004 SANTE 210 (we had both - one at the cabin and one at home). We got rid of both for this Supra SC. The SANTE 210 was my dream wake, so the Supra SC really had a lot to live up to. The Supra SC 450 we have is basically fully loaded, I believe the only extra options we don't have are all the trailer upgrades that typically come with the Worlds edition. We added a Fresh Air Exhaust system, a two vent pullout heater, mussel master ballast filtration, gap seat, and custom bow cover. What I really like about the FAE is that the boat is so quiet (I know some of you probably like the loud engine). When you are wake surfing you can talk to the people in the boat and when you are back behind the boat wake surfing or wakeboarding you can really hear the water rather than the engine, which is a really fun way to ride (feels more like the quiet you get when surfing or snowboarding - which I like). I think the people on my lake really appreciate the quieter engine (as another guy on the lake has a Antique wakeboard boat that sounds like a cigarette boat). The Mussel Master with the engine flush system connector we added really helps us to use this boat in the contaminated waters near the twin cities, but not have to worry as much about bringing invasive species to the pristine waters near our cabin in Northern Wisconsin.

Driving/User Experience/Fit and Feel - the boat looks and feels like a muscle car; with the SC450 it definitely has the power out of the hole, but the agility to turn sharp. Additionally, it cuts through rough water fairly well. The cockpit is excellent with an electric adjustable seat, heated seat, and the ability to use the toggle switches or touchscreen. The tower collapses easily (my wife can do it herself), which is great because we have to collapse the tower to get in and out of the shed. We also have the snap in and out carpet (which makes the boat feel soft and inviting for the little ones, but is easy to take out and clean.

The seating arrangement is very well thought out (we also added the removable gap seat), and everyone seems to have a good place to watch the rider, or just comfortably sit and hang out. The higher freeboard seems to make the boat feel safer with the little ones, and also is fun for the little guys to be able to jump of the back into the water. The sea deck material on the gunnels is excellent and really gives the traction that is needed to jump off the side or simply to climb on or off when docking.

The stereo has excellent sound quality (we have the four tower speaker option and that allows two of the tower speakers to be pointed in almost any direction, which is a feature that I didn't even realize we would use so much - mainly pointed in the direction of where people are sitting in the boat or away from the sleeping kids ) We find ourselves using the Bluetooth to run Pandora through the stereo. I never thought we would actually use the Bluetooth, but we use it almost every time we are out now.

The touchscreen module allows you to set custom settings for each rider and works fairly well. The only downside I have noticed is that if you mistakenly save to the rider while the ballast is currently filling it seems to save the ballast at that setting (i.e. 60% instead of the 100%). The ballast system is excellent as it is all plug and play that is hidden in the compartments. We have the upgraded ballast which is a 750 in each of the rear compartments, the center ballast hard tank, and the front bow sack. I believe the total ballast is near 2900. Again, that is all hidden and fillable at the touch of a button. Then if you want to switch riders to a surfer or different style wake, again you just hit a button or two and the boat takes care of everything automatically. The ballast works on a timer to determine percentage filled, so you may have to tweak that a little at first to get it 100% accurate.

The only negative I have about the fit and finish is that the rear compartments could be better constructed. We have already had an issue with screws coming out on one and the vinyl coming apart. This will get warrantied, but I would like to see some more thought into that. The middle compartment above the engine has some sea deck material on it, and that seems to work great for traffic over the back.

WAKES: I typically only wakeboard, so that was my main focus when purchasing this boat. I am 34 yrs old and have been riding since I was about 16. I would say I am an intermediate rider (a few flips and spins).

Wakeboard Wake: Again, I wanted to get something like an old 210 wake, and really wanted to go to Nautique G series to get something like that, but that was out of my price range, plus my wife really liked the inside setup of the Supra. I ride with ballast at 100% throughout the entire boat and wakeplate at 0 (all the way up). We typically have one adult and three little kids in the boat, and the wake is solid. I think I am going to upgrade the rear 750s to 1200s eventually to see if I get a little more of that 210 feel, but I can tell you as the wake is now with just that small amount of "people weight" in the boat, the wake is great. I have not only been getting back my old tricks, but I have been trying new stuff and coming close with just a couple tries. The wake has a kick like the older 210, but is wider, so you often land on the downside of the other wake, which is nice on my knees. Honestly, I am loving this wake so much, that I get so pumped to ride, and I feel like I am back in my early 20s riding. I am going to add an external sac near the rear of the seating to see if I do really want to upgrade to 1200s on each side, but I am content for now as the wake has me really stoked.
The doubleups behind this boat are phenomenal; as they are huge and they seem to have a large sweet spot to hit (I don't seem to miss the doubleup even if my timing is a little off). It does help that my wife is really good at driving (she has almost a decade now of driving wake boats). I have been trying different flips and spins off the doubleup and just getting booted every time!
Wake Surf Wake - I didn't really wake surf before this boat, and I have just started (usually at the end of a day of riding), so it is hard for me to compare or really rate the wake surf wake. It seems to be good, and it is fun to change the shape with the Swell system. My kids love to make the decision to pick "skim" or "barrel" for me. My wife had never wake surfed before, and on her second time wake surfing behind this boat she was riding with no rope. She loves wake surfing now, and I have not seen her that pumped to be behind the boat for quite some time (she hardly wakeboards anymore because she has been on and off pregnant for about six years.
Overall, the boat is awesome. I say that sincerely, because it has gotten me super stoked on wakeboarding again and my entire family (wife and 3 young boys have a great time on it as well). My five year old has been riding behind the boat on the board with me, but is going to start riding his own board tomorrow (or at least he claims).
I would say go out to demo it first. However, make, make, and make sure that the dealer or whomever has the boat configured how you want it. I can tell you I hate this wake with the wake plate down, so go with someone who knows the boat and knows how to adjust it. There are a lot of adjustments for the wakeboard wake and wake surf wake, and they really seem to make a difference. Also, if you are going to get the upgraded ballast, demo one with the upgraded ballast.

Last edited by wakeworld; 06-22-2015 at 1:46 PM.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-22-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
Pictures.

Just wondering why you didn't just buy the 210 if that is what you where trying to strive for wake wise. The new 210 looks sweet too. I love the supra SC don't get me wrong. It is in my top 3 boats to own.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2015, 7:18 PM Reply   
I was not a huge fan of the newer Nautiques. Awesome boats, but just were not for me...until the G came out. We had a 2005 Supra and a 2004 SANTE, and the Supra was much more user friendly and family friendly. Plus my wife really like this Supra and there was no way we dropping that kind of money on a boat unless she was as pumped about it as me.

]
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2015, 7:21 PM Reply   
Boat pic
Attached Images

Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2015, 7:22 PM Reply   
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-23-2015, 11:07 AM Reply   
Thanks for the writeup. I bet those seats get crazy hot.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2015, 7:53 PM Reply   
The seats can get hot, but not nearly as bad as you would think. I think it has something to do with the newer material, as that was a concern I had as well, but it hasn't really been a huge issue, and we have been out in the baking sun with it.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-27-2015, 11:01 AM Reply   
Good write up. No e to hear as I am looking at Supra for my next one.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-27-2015, 2:32 PM Reply   
The SC is my favorite supra for sure. I get to ride the SA450 somewhat frequently, he runs a ton of extra ballast and lead and the wake is crazy good. Great looking boat, nice write up.
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-27-2015, 2:50 PM Reply   
I demoed a '15 Supra SC 550 and I was seriously considering it as my next boat. The 3 things that kept me from pulling the trigger:
1: the boat is super side to side sensitive. Constant moving people around In the boat to get a clean wake. This drives me nuts
2: the touchscreen malfunctioned twice. Boat had to be completely shut down and battery reset to get it to load up again. This did not inspire any confidence
3. The storage compartment "lids" on the Sundeck area are so poorly put together. Fit and finish looks nice but when closely examined they are very flimsy and seems cheaply made.

Now, the surf wave and wakeboard wave were amazing though they had to be dialed in for about 10 mins which was frustrating but once dialed in they were very very impressive.

The supercharged raptor motor is a beast! Awesome! But the boat still took way to long to plane out. Nothing like my past Malibu 23. That raptor motor in a wakesetter 22 or 23 will be amazing!

Rough water ride is exceptional

Drives like a Ferrari once planed out
Dealer is awesome to work with
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-29-2015, 6:53 PM Reply   
I haven't noticed any issues with the boat being sensitive side to side, but I agree that the rear compartment lids are poorly built. One of our rear storage compartment lids has already ripped out of the fiberglass. The dealer fixed it and reinforced both sides. Supra really should have thought of that ahead of time, However, other than just small warranty issues on the boat, it has been solid as we are getting close to 30 hours now.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-30-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
At what wakeboard speed will wake clean up with no ballast?
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-30-2015, 8:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
At what wakeboard speed will wake clean up with no ballast?
My experience has been around 17 with no weight and a few people. It stays very clean at low speeds which has been a big improvement over older Supras (Pre SA, SC, etc)
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-30-2015, 9:09 AM Reply   
That's a plus.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-30-2015, 10:27 AM Reply   
Yeah they definitely made it a priority on the new models. Not very side to side sensitive either.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-30-2015, 12:18 PM Reply   
Just ordered new 2016 SA400. Thanks guys. I'll give a report when I get it in August.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-30-2015, 1:53 PM Reply   
DTB - nice! Definitely give us a report.

I also agree that the wake is very clean at low speeds. The same can be said for normal riding speed as I ride around 22 mph, and the wake is super clean. If there are several people in the boat, I have not had to ask them to move around.
Old     (fmaxturbosi)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-08-2015, 8:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscxstar View Post
As an FYI, my boat is a 2014 Supra SC 450 not a 2015 - which seems to be almost the same as the 2015 other than the 2015s now use a raptor engine. I purchased the 2014 new last fall as it was remaining inventory from 2014 and they needed to make room for the 2015s. I now have a little over 20 hours on the boat (mostly riding time as we don't cruise much - either we are pulling a rider or stopped swimming of the boat). We come from a 2005 Supra 21V and a 2004 SANTE 210 (we had both - one at the cabin and one at home). We got rid of both for this Supra SC. The SANTE 210 was my dream wake, so the Supra SC really had a lot to live up to. The Supra SC 450 we have is basically fully loaded, I believe the only extra options we don't have are all the trailer upgrades that typically come with the Worlds edition. We added a Fresh Air Exhaust system, a two vent pullout heater, mussel master ballast filtration, gap seat, and custom bow cover. What I really like about the FAE is that the boat is so quiet (I know some of you probably like the loud engine). When you are wake surfing you can talk to the people in the boat and when you are back behind the boat wake surfing or wakeboarding you can really hear the water rather than the engine, which is a really fun way to ride (feels more like the quiet you get when surfing or snowboarding - which I like). I think the people on my lake really appreciate the quieter engine (as another guy on the lake has a Antique wakeboard boat that sounds like a cigarette boat). The Mussel Master with the engine flush system connector we added really helps us to use this boat in the contaminated waters near the twin cities, but not have to worry as much about bringing invasive species to the pristine waters near our cabin in Northern Wisconsin.

Driving/User Experience/Fit and Feel - the boat looks and feels like a muscle car; with the SC450 it definitely has the power out of the hole, but the agility to turn sharp. Additionally, it cuts through rough water fairly well. The cockpit is excellent with an electric adjustable seat, heated seat, and the ability to use the toggle switches or touchscreen. The tower collapses easily (my wife can do it herself), which is great because we have to collapse the tower to get in and out of the shed. We also have the snap in and out carpet (which makes the boat feel soft and inviting for the little ones, but is easy to take out and clean.

The seating arrangement is very well thought out (we also added the removable gap seat), and everyone seems to have a good place to watch the rider, or just comfortably sit and hang out. The higher freeboard seems to make the boat feel safer with the little ones, and also is fun for the little guys to be able to jump of the back into the water. The sea deck material on the gunnels is excellent and really gives the traction that is needed to jump off the side or simply to climb on or off when docking.

The stereo has excellent sound quality (we have the four tower speaker option and that allows two of the tower speakers to be pointed in almost any direction, which is a feature that I didn't even realize we would use so much - mainly pointed in the direction of where people are sitting in the boat or away from the sleeping kids ) We find ourselves using the Bluetooth to run Pandora through the stereo. I never thought we would actually use the Bluetooth, but we use it almost every time we are out now.

The touchscreen module allows you to set custom settings for each rider and works fairly well. The only downside I have noticed is that if you mistakenly save to the rider while the ballast is currently filling it seems to save the ballast at that setting (i.e. 60% instead of the 100%). The ballast system is excellent as it is all plug and play that is hidden in the compartments. We have the upgraded ballast which is a 750 in each of the rear compartments, the center ballast hard tank, and the front bow sack. I believe the total ballast is near 2900. Again, that is all hidden and fillable at the touch of a button. Then if you want to switch riders to a surfer or different style wake, again you just hit a button or two and the boat takes care of everything automatically. The ballast works on a timer to determine percentage filled, so you may have to tweak that a little at first to get it 100% accurate.

The only negative I have about the fit and finish is that the rear compartments could be better constructed. We have already had an issue with screws coming out on one and the vinyl coming apart. This will get warrantied, but I would like to see some more thought into that. The middle compartment above the engine has some sea deck material on it, and that seems to work great for traffic over the back.

WAKES: I typically only wakeboard, so that was my main focus when purchasing this boat. I am 34 yrs old and have been riding since I was about 16. I would say I am an intermediate rider (a few flips and spins).

Wakeboard Wake: Again, I wanted to get something like an old 210 wake, and really wanted to go to Nautique G series to get something like that, but that was out of my price range, plus my wife really liked the inside setup of the Supra. I ride with ballast at 100% throughout the entire boat and wakeplate at 0 (all the way up). We typically have one adult and three little kids in the boat, and the wake is solid. I think I am going to upgrade the rear 750s to 1200s eventually to see if I get a little more of that 210 feel, but I can tell you as the wake is now with just that small amount of "people weight" in the boat, the wake is great. I have not only been getting back my old tricks, but I have been trying new stuff and coming close with just a couple tries. The wake has a kick like the older 210, but is wider, so you often land on the downside of the other wake, which is nice on my knees. Honestly, I am loving this wake so much, that I get so pumped to ride, and I feel like I am back in my early 20s riding. I am going to add an external sac near the rear of the seating to see if I do really want to upgrade to 1200s on each side, but I am content for now as the wake has me really stoked.
The doubleups behind this boat are phenomenal; as they are huge and they seem to have a large sweet spot to hit (I don't seem to miss the doubleup even if my timing is a little off). It does help that my wife is really good at driving (she has almost a decade now of driving wake boats). I have been trying different flips and spins off the doubleup and just getting booted every time!
Wake Surf Wake - I didn't really wake surf before this boat, and I have just started (usually at the end of a day of riding), so it is hard for me to compare or really rate the wake surf wake. It seems to be good, and it is fun to change the shape with the Swell system. My kids love to make the decision to pick "skim" or "barrel" for me. My wife had never wake surfed before, and on her second time wake surfing behind this boat she was riding with no rope. She loves wake surfing now, and I have not seen her that pumped to be behind the boat for quite some time (she hardly wakeboards anymore because she has been on and off pregnant for about six years.
Overall, the boat is awesome. I say that sincerely, because it has gotten me super stoked on wakeboarding again and my entire family (wife and 3 young boys have a great time on it as well). My five year old has been riding behind the boat on the board with me, but is going to start riding his own board tomorrow (or at least he claims).
I would say go out to demo it first. However, make, make, and make sure that the dealer or whomever has the boat configured how you want it. I can tell you I hate this wake with the wake plate down, so go with someone who knows the boat and knows how to adjust it. There are a lot of adjustments for the wakeboard wake and wake surf wake, and they really seem to make a difference. Also, if you are going to get the upgraded ballast, demo one with the upgraded ballast.
How tall is the boat with the tower down? I'm curious if it will fit in my garage. Thanks