Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       02-19-2013, 12:59 PM Reply   
So my buddy and I are thinking about building a winch. We have a 6.5hp lawn mower engine to use and a spool. We are going to build it up on a frame too. My concern is that it may not work since its a vertical drive shaft instead of horizontal and we could run into problems. Has anybody ever done this and gotten it to work?
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-19-2013, 2:10 PM Reply   
Yes, you need a Right Angle Gearbox, a transaxle out of golf cart or rider mower, or a conversion head kit.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-19-2013, 5:05 PM Reply   
By the time you buy all that you'd be money ahead to sell the vertical engine and find a used horizontal shaft.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-19-2013, 9:37 PM Reply   
I have a simular motor and was thinking of doing the same thing. Guess I will try to get it sold to invest in a different one. Any other suggestions for making it?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-19-2013, 10:02 PM Reply   
do you have a harbor freight in town? Thats where i bought my motor....go to their parking lot sale and pick up one of the used ones....people buy em and run generators and stuff like that for a weekend and then return them...they had 6 when i went. dont remember the $ but i do remember thinking "smokin deal!"

Look into Torque-A-verters (TAV) i ordered mine from bulletlines.com, not sure if they are still available....much better than a centrifugal clutch!

Take into account the moment that the spool will put on the rest of the frame if you plan on using it when its not mounted to the hitch of a vehicle....my buddys was nasty to run on the beach, it wanted to flip over pretty bad.
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       02-20-2013, 4:59 PM Reply   
I do have a harbor freight in town, ill have to go look there. We might look into a horizontal shaft engine. If I spend the money on a torque converter than I might as well look for a cheeper horizontal shaft engine.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-20-2013, 8:35 PM Reply   
Norwalk - I'm from Omaha NE and will sell you mine - way easier! I made it from scratch, 6.5HP engine, with upgrades to 8hp. TAV, 600' of line, runs like a champ. Hit me up. If you need a reference, hit up Mark from Johnston with the Maristar, we're buds.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-20-2013, 8:36 PM Reply   
Oh, shoot me a PM if interested, I may forget to check back on the thread