Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (WakesurfSanDiego)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-10-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
Check out the video of the new Tige "gadget"

http://bit.ly/URtIC2
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       10-10-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
I think it's another good idea. It can't compete with the "surfgate" which enables a side to side transfer, which personally, I think is stupid. I don't want to drive around with the boat fully loaded just so I can switch regular to goofy in a few seconds. Plus with no "list" to the boat it makes it a tank to turn around to pick up a downed surfer.

I'd pick the Tige' innovation over the surfgate. What's next?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
Never thought about it being a tank to turn, I like listing my boat, but thats just me.........
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-10-2012, 9:58 PM Reply   
Just want to add one thing, Tige has been working on this at least since Thanksgiving of last year, so it was not a response to surfgate. Just FYI.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-11-2012, 5:16 AM Reply   
thats hilarious. i dont want to be able to swap from side to side in seconds. ive yet to drive a boat that didnt turn/drive better evenly weighted.
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       10-11-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
I guess that depends on how you turn while sufing. When the rider falls do you a) stop completely and turn the boat with throttle b) instantly power-turn the boat c) pull the throttle back, crank the wheel opposite of the surf wave and let the boat turn itself around. I choose "c". All the time. A heavily weighted boat without list (at least the ones I've test drove) do not like to turn without the throttle. I do agree, evenly weighted boats turn better under power but that's not how I prefer to drive for surfing.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
"C" is my reg routine!
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-11-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
after the rider falls i immediately cut the wheel and hammer the throttle down to i can get back to them asap.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-11-2012, 2:35 PM Reply   
jk. "C". couldnt this been done while evenly weighted witha bit of effort. i have to list my boat to the rub rail or past thus makeing it less safe to drive, more unnerving for my wife to drive, and more susceptable to taking water over the side. to each his own.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-12-2012, 3:50 PM Reply   
http://vimeo.com/22102411?action=share#_=_
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
I mentioned this in the wakeboarding section. Seems like a good idea for the hard core surfer. I don't see the masses going for it. In my opinion less than 5 or 10 percent of potential inboard boat buyers really care that much about the perfect shaped and clean surf wake. In my opinion surfgate appeals to 90% of the potential buyers and this appeals to about 10%. The nice thing is it sounds like it can be added after the fact. Any ide aon price? I am guessing around a grand?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-14-2012, 4:42 AM Reply   
I would guess 90% of Malibu owners don't surf. Tige owners are probably in the 60 to 70 % range as far as surfing.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-14-2012, 6:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
I would guess 90% of Malibu owners don't surf. Tige owners are probably in the 60 to 70 % range as far as surfing.
Completely wrong. Head over to the Malibu forums. Lots of them are surfing.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-14-2012, 2:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
That was about one of the dumbest things I've heard. Who wouldn't want to switch side to side? Surfgate really opens up possibilities and taking the sport to a new level. case and point
http://youtu.be/47cY8U85GW4
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-15-2012, 5:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
Or, Chase and point. That guy can surf a ripple in a mud puddle.

I spent 2 full days on a surf gate equipped boat taking lessons with Doum Lagace. Had 2 of us that surf regular and 1 that surfs goofy. The boat produced a very serviceable wave and switching from side-to-side was as easy as advertised. The boat needed more than stock ballast, especially in the bow and that would be my biggest complaint. The only way I saw to get that easily accomplished was to throw a bag on the seats.

I think the Malibu sales guys are going to do well at the upcoming boat shows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-15-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
Ballast will always help, but the ability to drive a boat without the hard lean is the idea. I think you'd find more people who feels it is easier to drive an evenly weighted boat vs a boat with a rub rail to the water. Plus going side to side gives the sport a boost for new tricks to come
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-15-2012, 6:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
That was about one of the dumbest things I've heard. Who wouldn't want to switch side to side? Surfgate really opens up possibilities and taking the sport to a new level. case and point
http://youtu.be/47cY8U85GW4
That was a childish response.Now take off that dress and act like a grown man! What does the percentage of owners that surf have to do with surfing on both sides?
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-15-2012, 7:27 PM Reply   
There are probably more malibu's in my state, than any other brand of wake boat. Now days, just about any vdrive boat you pass around here has a surf or skim board in the rack. Our friend must have pulled these numbers out of his @$$ . As for the new Tige wave shaping device, congrats! Anything to make a better wave is great. Although , I wonder why this boat was hyped to be the best wake surf boat out there, and they had to come up with this to get rid of the prop wash and smooth the transition out.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-15-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
I just got back from the polar bear which by the way was an awesome event. All I can say is it works and it works really well. Roberts Z3 has the longest cleanest wave I have been on to date. I have surfed a lot of boats and so far the Z3 with the BGB tops my list of best waves
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-15-2012, 8:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Where are you getting this "90%" number? That couldn't be further from the truth...especially in the past 2-3 years.
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       10-15-2012, 9:22 PM Reply   
Does not matter if its a Tgiger Malibruiser Ski Naked Centipede Supreme Pizza or John's Boat all that matters is the wave.......boats for wake surfers are nothing more than wave machines. Different boats are different breaks.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-15-2012, 9:52 PM Reply   
Where did you come up with 90% of bu owners don't surf? based on the statement that surfgate would apply to 90% of potential buyers. Surfgate definitely promotes surfing both sides. Whether you have never ridden backside or not, at some point with surfgate, your going to want to try crossing on the fly.

And yes different boats make different breaks, but which wave is going to elevate the sport the most? May not be the cleanest wave, but the one that offers more possibilities for new tricks
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-16-2012, 3:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Where did you come up with 90% of bu owners don't surf? based on the statement that surfgate would apply to 90% of potential buyers. Surfgate definitely promotes surfing both sides. Whether you have never ridden backside or not, at some point with surfgate, your going to want to try crossing on the fly.

And yes different boats make different breaks, but which wave is going to elevate the sport the most? May not be the cleanest wave, but the one that offers more possibilities for new tricks
So your saying a longer cleaner wave will not open the door for new tricks? Be careful what you say will be used against you!
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-16-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
That's not what was said at all. But I guess time will tell when videos like the one above start showing more tricks thrown going side to side vs those that are developed purely on one side of the wake
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-16-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
They say that 75% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-16-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
i would bet more people surf than wakeboard, now hear me out. I still wakeboard, but the 11 or so people that come out every weekend on my boat all surf(including the girls) but do not wakeboard. So while we all are getting older, more and more of my friends (we are all in our later 30's early 40's) that have wakeboats are trading there boats in for more surf oriented boats. I had bu's until 09 and now am on my second enzo ( new 244) its not that wakeboarding in going out, its just not fun unless you are pushing and that means crashing, and its not worth it. So if we add up the recreational wakeboard boater( prob 90%) they will get to a point where the injury list pushes them into a different activity but still keeps them boating. Unless some medical breakthrough eliminates knee injury, i see more people surfing
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-16-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
So your saying a longer cleaner wave will not open the door for new tricks? Be careful what you say will be used against you!
If you keep winking at that man people are going to think you're gay!!!
Old     (tollie12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-17-2012, 2:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyWheelhouse View Post
Does not matter if its a Tgiger Malibruiser Ski Naked Centipede Supreme Pizza or John's Boat all that matters is the wave.......boats for wake surfers are nothing more than wave machines. Different boats are different breaks.
WAVE MACHINE!!!!!.. Its not what boat works the best its what boat works the best for you!.. no matter what you are riding behind you are promoting the sport in a positive way. Keep shredding your face's off.!!
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-17-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
Well said Tollie!