Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-04-2012, 4:24 PM Reply   
Would it be worth putting a chip on my 09 F 250? I'm currently looking at chipping just to hopefully improve my MPG but the catch is I can't do a DPF delete d/t warranty. I've heard that on Ford's it's pretty easy to mount/unmount a chip and it won't "show up" if I have an issue and need to return it to the dealer. Thoughts or input? I haven't posted on the ford forum because usually when I do they bash me because I'm not a frequent flyer on their site
thanks
chris
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-04-2012, 6:32 PM Reply   
have you tried posting on powerstroke.org? they used to be a good group of guys. I did notice a few D bags showing up on there, but for the most part ive had a good time on that site. I think I have like 1500 posts over there? more than I have here for sure.

I know very little about the 6.4, but I do know a tune always helps....As long as you can keep your foot off of the fun pedal! The warranty thing is something I never had to deal with, Im running an 02 7.3L with 150k miles, no warranty for me!

I think you can get away with an intake without voiding the warranty? Might look into that.

Try out powerstroke.org....see what they have to say. I know what I know from the guys on that site.
Old     (h2oskier14)      Join Date: May 2009       03-05-2012, 6:20 AM Reply   
I have a 2008 6.4L that I drove for about 10,000 miles before I did the DPF delete and a H&S tuner. It is the best thing you can ever do for that truck!! The 2008-2010 Fords have horrible gas mileage and run like sh*! with the DPF on, the delete really wakes them up. I went from 11mpg on the highway to 17 and that's turning 37's. I wouldn't run a tuner with the DPF on, you won't see any mileage increase and you'll just clog the DPF more frequently actually causing worse mileage due to re-gens. I'd also recommend checking out powerstroke.org there's a lot of useful information on the forum.

As far as the warranty goes I have still been taking my truck to the dealer for routine maintenance and they haven't said anything about it. I think if you had a catastrophic failure depending on the dealer they may use it as an excuse to void your warranty. If you have any additional questions about it feel free to PM me.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-05-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
Have a buddy with the 2008 and he did DPF delete and Spartan tuner and went from 11 to 14-15 around town and claims he can get 12-14 pulling his 29' DCB Vhull and before he was only getting 8mpg towing. Claims are just that, your mileage may vary...
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-05-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
You can get DPFs that are easily reversable. I'm looking at getting one in my 08 F250, I get around 13.5MPH city, and am hoping to push up to 18-20.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-05-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
Chris, a guy that works for me has a Banks PDA 6-gun, filter, and vent for sale. Call me if you want details.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-05-2012, 5:08 PM Reply   
Chris, What do you mean DPF that are reversible? Jeb, I realize it will really "wake" the truck up but I don't have extra cash to just throw down if something major happens....John, I haven't heard many good things about banks products.....
Chris
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-05-2012, 5:11 PM Reply   
I mean the pipe is easily swapped for your old pipe for emissions and warranty work. In colorado you can't emissions with one on
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-05-2012, 6:12 PM Reply   
I was told that it was a pain in the butt to re-install the DPF. John, what truck or play toy do you have now?
chris
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-13-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
I've still got the lbz duramax short bus
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-13-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
lol banks a joke, spartan is absolutly insane on the 6.4's and the only way to go from towing to perfromance.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-14-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
Good deal John, its a good looking truck. Andy, I've heard nothing but good things in the 6.4 with the spartan and H and S.....ultimately I would like better gas mileage and maintain my warranty.....
Old     (F150Axis)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-17-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
Chris,
I work for a heavy duty diesel engine manufacturer. My buddy used to write diagnostics for Ford's diesel engine department; he told me that if you put a chip in an '09 or newer truck it will set a code in the ECM. The code will not show up on the dash, but if you have an issue that needs to be covered under warranty the dealer is going to be able to see the code and know that you have altered the fuel map. Ford did this because they were seeing a lot of turbos basically exploding and could not figure out why; then they started to look into the maximum amount of boost that the engine was creating. That is when they shut the door on the aftermarket.

A DPF cannot be reversed because it is essentially the same in both directions; on one side the holes are open and on the other they are closed. This forces the exhaust gases to pass through the little hole walls and trap the soot which gets burned off during a regen. The 6.4 is a good engine, I would not recommend messing with it if you are worried about doing any damage that you will have to end up covering out of your own pocket.

-Jeff
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-20-2012, 12:02 PM Reply   
you can run a spartan with the stock exhaust system, i know a few people around that run em on the dpf.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-20-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
Jeff,
Thanks for the advice....makes sense just with the price of diesel going up I wanted to not drain the bank towing to the lake. Looks like I will get back to work so I can afford it.......jk but it would be nice to see a little better fuel mileage but oh well that's what I get for buying a big truck
chris