Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Kmh)      Join Date: May 2011       05-04-2011, 5:42 PM Reply   
I'm in the market to get a new board this season, and after alot of searching on this forum I think I have narrowed it down to the Marek bio (2010 or 2011).

My question is on what size I should get. I'm 5'11, 150lbs and last year I rode a 139 Ronix Mana (Coming from an 138 LF Trip before I did not like this board, found it was slow and unpredictable). I'm not sure if I should step down to the 136 Marek or up to the 141. Does anyone have any advice on this? Someone at the local proshop suggested that because I don't weigh enough that I wouldn't be able to control the 141, yet at the other pro shop they suggested getting the 141 so I'm pretty lost.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-04-2011, 6:26 PM Reply   
I'm the same size and I love a 138, but if its a 136 or 141 I have to go with 141 just to be on the safe side. You can learn how to control either, but I find the landings softer on larger boards. I rode a 135 a few years back and I hated it because I my landings were always shaky and inconsistent. Seemed like it took so much effort to land anything I boosted on.
Old     (ColoRadDude)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-04-2011, 7:22 PM Reply   
I would go 141 for sure. I am pretty much the same size as you and wouldn't prefer to ride anything smaller than a 139. I rode a bunch of different sizes last year and was unhappy with anything smaller than that. That is my two cents.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-04-2011, 7:43 PM Reply   
BECAUSE OF YOUR HEIGHT.I think you should go with the 141 bigger is always better within reason.I weigh 160 and ride between 139 to 142.
Old     (Kmh)      Join Date: May 2011       05-04-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys.. It just threw me off a bit in the store as the 141 looked pretty big.. and the other thing was that the guys at the shop said because of my weight the 141 would have too much pop and tend to push out behind me.. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, does anyone have any other board recommendations? I was decided on the Marek because I was looking for something fast, that tracked well and had a good predicitable pop. I really liked my LF trip and did not like the Mana at all so I was looking for a aggresive continuous or sublte 3 stage. The other boards I had narrowed it down to are the Bill and the Viva. Thoughts?
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-05-2011, 7:12 AM Reply   
Look at the new Process. It's Davies new pro model and he rode the Marek and Clash quite a bit. I imagine it will have characteristics of each of those boards. It looks like it will track really well as well as be pretty fast.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-05-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmh View Post
Thanks for the help guys.. It just threw me off a bit in the store as the 141 looked pretty big.. and the other thing was that the guys at the shop said because of my weight the 141 would have too much pop and tend to push out behind me.. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, does anyone have any other board recommendations? I was decided on the Marek because I was looking for something fast, that tracked well and had a good predicitable pop. I really liked my LF trip and did not like the Mana at all so I was looking for a aggresive continuous or sublte 3 stage. The other boards I had narrowed it down to are the Bill and the Viva. Thoughts?
As for the first question, I have to call BS. I rode a Co. Severance 142 last season and had zero problems with that. I got a lot of pop, but you'll never hear me say too much pop is a bad thing. My only issue was I felt like I could ride a 138 w/o sacrificing any of the stability so I bought the 138 a month back and I love it.
I cant help ya on board recommendations b/c I havent ridden any model later than an '09
Old     (Kmh)      Join Date: May 2011       05-05-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
Np3, thanks I will look into the process. Has anybody ridden it or know how it compares to the marek?

Jonny, I thought it kind of sounded like bs too. I think between the 136 and the 141 I will choose the 141 and hope for the best. The guy at the pro shop was also saying that because the marek has a sharper edge than most boards it would be a lot less forgiving and much easier to catch an edge. Any thoughts on this?

How noticible would this be coming from a board with rounder edges?
Old     (Kmh)      Join Date: May 2011       05-10-2011, 1:23 PM Reply   
So I went to go get the marek yesterday, and the guy was trying to sell me on the 2010 Watson classic 138. He said the he personally thought the marek was way to aggressive and the Watson was better. I didn't buy either board as of yet because I can't demo.

What are people's thoughts on the Watson classic? ( I like fast boards, which hold a strong edge and have predictable pop) I was hesitant about a 3 stage because I didn't like the mana, felt you had to hit the wake just right everytime.

Also how does the new Watson compare to the classic? Thanks for the help!