Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-15-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
All these questions about towing a boat and tow vehicles. I want to get an H1 some day.
Probably be a 6.2L or 6.5L diesel. Might not have the turbo diesel.
Have any of you towed with an H1?
I assume it is fine for heading to the river or lake on short trips, but how does it do going over a mtn pass?
Anyone's input would be great. Pics even better!!!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-15-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
I have a buddy who hauls his Enduro car with one. Kind of funny as that one tow vehicle costs more than the entire field of that class.
It weighs the same as a typical boat and he has no problems. I have never met an owner that wanted to take an H1 on a long trip but I'd guess it would not even affect the mileage much.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-15-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
If I'm not mistaken screen name (SUPRA FOR ME) towed his boat with one.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-15-2010, 8:38 PM Reply   
aaron
yeah i remember that too. not sure if i have seen him around the board much anymore.

thanks art for your input too!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-15-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
They have like 500+ lbs of torque... I would imagine they tow just fine
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-15-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
yeah but they have very low horsepower and are slow. i am getting mixed feedback on some of the hummer forums...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-15-2010, 11:53 PM Reply   
I have a buddy who tows a 2008 VTX with a gas Hummer. He's never complained about it going over Snoqualmie Pass.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-16-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
Cool! I guess if you're not in a hurry it'll do fine. I'd love to have that to tow our boat. Or even better; a Lamborghini LM002...
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-16-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
H2 sucks for towing dont even think of an H3... H1 could be good lots of power
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-16-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
h2/h3 doesnt count as a hummer
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-16-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
Have a friend with an H1 with the 6.2 non turbo and it sucked they have no power. It goes anywhere just not fast. Driving it up in the Mountains not towing it took everything it had to hold 45 mph. Been in a few 6.5L and they do great they have the power.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-16-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
Why would the H2 be bad for towing? It's a Tahoe under all that glitz. Same vehicle platform.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-16-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Diggs I had a buddy in college who had an 06 (I think) H1 and he had an older X-star the new X-1 and it would overheat all the time! I think short trips would be good, but I don't think it's a good road trip SUV.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-16-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
Had 3 H1s from my first 93 to an 01. 93 was a non turbo. The other two were. Everyone here has been pretty accurate about the power. Its not gonna blow a 0-60 time out of the water, and mountains can be tough if you dont have any speed built up. But comparatively its the best tow vehicle ive ever used.

Never towed my bu with it, but we did have a 28ft w/ twin 502s (so it had a little weight to it) and really couldnt tell much of a difference with or without the boat behind me. Now the Bu behind my tahoe, def. feels like a totally different vehicle.

As for long distance, its not as bad as it seems unless you have offroad tires on. I drove mine from Little Rock, AR to Breckenridge, CO which is a little over 1k miles one way. The best advice i can give if you want one for long distance is to go with the Wagon model. The raised tranny can be used as an awesome bed because its kinda warm, and long enough to stretch out.

Maintenance was its only fault. They service dept wanted to see it every 1500 miles, 3k max. Oh and i sold mine because when the war started the gov. halted all civilian parts until they filled the military's needs. Its understandable, but it left the service depts around the country with only the supply on their shelves if parts were needed. and of course prices went crazy.

Ok.... that was a novel

Oh and as for H2s.... they are simply Tahoes with a 30K lift and body kit...
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-16-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   

quote:

By Erik Jernberg (juniorhawk) on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 7:43 am:
Why would the H2 be bad for towing? It's a Tahoe under all that glitz. Same vehicle platform.

WRONG!!

quote:

By Chance (calexan) on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 8:23 am:

Oh and as for H2s.... they are simply Tahoes with a 30K lift and body kit...

WRONG!!

The H2 is actually quite different than a Tahoe. First off it is on the chassis of a 2500 Suburban with the front and rear overhangs shortened. The suspension is the same as a 2500 if it isn't equipped with the air ride. With the air ride you get 2 or 3 more inches of ground clearance in the back. It is only available on H2's. The Transfercase is only found in the H2. It has the Vortec 6.0 V8 the Tahoe has the Vortec 5.3 V8. The rear differential in the H2 is a electronic locking differential. Arguably the best kind of locking diff on the market. The Truck has better side slope stability and approach and descent than any other truck besides the H1. Also a winch is available. Stock 35 inch tires. It also has removable step bars. At the base this is a 2500 Suburban.

The rear end in a Tahoe has 8.5" Ring and Pinion, while the rear end in the H2 is the huge GM 14 bolt and has a 9.5" Ring and Pinion.

Do some research...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-16-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
IN YOUR FACE

beat me to it, but yeah they are quite different
Old     (robert)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-16-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
H2 is a great towing veh. went from Va. to lake Powell towing a CC 210 super air loaded with supplies . average about 75mph except for going over the Rockies which reduced our speed to 45mph and that was for just two short inclines.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-16-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Only thing wrong with a H2 is the gas mileage and the fact that most only see mall parking lot service. If used for intended purpose, then they are a great vehicle. I'd take one over a H1 anyday. H1's are cool, but more for novelty than anything. Unless you live in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Just my opinion.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-16-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
Yeah I am looking more of the "novelty" of the H1 and not as a daily driver. So any information on the H1 and not the H2 and H3 are much appreciated.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-16-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
a guy I know who lives on the next lake over has an h1 and they pull their 23LSV BU' to and from chicago to our lake (~3.5 hrs) a few times a summer, I've never heard him complain. Its an awesome looking rig
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-16-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
Diggs for what you are looking at you could go with an early non turbo, they are pretty cheap now days. It will pull your BU around to the river no problem. Just won't win any races. My friend just sold his 94 with the 6.2L and went to an 2001 Wagon with the 6.5L and it is a night and day difference. It pulls a 30' enclosed snowmobile trailer up to Bachelor no problem.
Old     (mcrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-16-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
Have a buddy who towed his 28 ft. offshore boat with one and did not seem to have any issues. He only towed it for about a 15 min drive to the lake, so it was mainly in-town driving no highway or mountains.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-16-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxrdwXXat14

H2 is nothing more than an glorified Tahoe/Denali/Yukon/Escalade with a 14bolt, rear locker and 35's on it. Denali and Esc come with 6.0L.

Nothing wrong with any of these vehicles but shouldnt be confused for a AM General Hummer.

My G-class comes with 3 differential locks, high and low gear transfer case, and the same 5.5L Superchargered engine and transmission as the S-class AMG which is also $150k+. True dual exhaust system with independent mufflers, cats, ect.

The H1 and G-class are on the same level - but the G will get you there much quicker! My neighbor has a H1 Alpha - its unreal!!
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-16-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
Get the old H1 and do a duramax swap and you got it made. Extreme Get the banks twin turbo kit and you are good for Like 700HP with 1200 FTlbs of torque that should do the trick. They did one on extreme 4x4 and it was crazy.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-16-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
^^^^ That was a suburban frame they did on extreme with a ton of fab work easier said then done.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-16-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
It's not that hard, there are tons of kits to put a H1 like body on either Suburban or Blazer frame. The one used in the show was made by http://www.4x4bodies.com/

They are on eBay all the time...
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-16-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
H1 Alpha, 6.6 Duramax and an Allison, shouldn't have any problems towing with one of those, but you may have a problem finding one that doesn't cost as much as a loaded wakeboat
Old     (josharre2000)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-16-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
That H2 video is awesome. That truck is such a POS. I love the build Ian and the folks did on Xtreme 4x4 with Hummer Kit and the twin turbo duramax. That would be my choice if I had $60K laying around.

My 13 year old Landcruiser pulls our X45 just fine, not to mention it will hold its own against any street legal vehicle offroad.

Brian-- The G is just bad ass. I would put it up against any H1 out there. There is a lot to be said about straight axle trucks with lockers.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-16-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
That H2 in the video is not stock, it has a suspension lift on it. The ball joint popped. The joint popped because it was flexed past it's intended range of motion due to the lift.

Your G wagon can't do this...

or Potato Salad Hill

an H2 can do it too!

When I was a senior in high school the civilian hummer came out. I went to Moab, UT for spring break. They have something called Moab Easter Jeep Safari in Moab every Easter. AM General was there showing off the civilian hummer. I got ride along in an H1 for the entire week. The hummer proved superior on every trail. The hummer didn't have typical lockers, they had lockers that required you to tap the brakes in order for them to engage so it took a little longer than some of the jeeps did on some trails. The H1 can do things that no other vehicle can; like drive on the side of a hill without rolling over. It has a very low center of gravity. The H1 rules at what it was intended to do. The Mercedes that comes close is the Unimog...
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-16-2010, 9:01 PM Reply   
sam, what does potato salad hill have to do with towing your boat to the lake. and does it matter if it is a tohoe or sub2500. breath buddy its going to be ok, there will be h1,h2,h3's for everyone who reeaaally wants one, just like 1979 camero's, ford pinto's and converse shoes:-)
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-16-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
The same a G-Wagon has to do with it...
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-16-2010, 11:17 PM Reply   
baaaa zing......
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-16-2010, 11:47 PM Reply   
The H1 is a really wide beast to drive. They do not fit into a normal parking space...well if you want to open the doors anyhow. That is also what gives them stability. Because they are underpowered they are not much fun to drive. That can easily be changed it only takes money. There is a shop here in CA that will drop a pumped Duramax motor into them.

As to the H2 mall crawler...it is a half ton truck period. The trans is a half ton unit 4L65E, not the 3/4 ton 4L80E, the transfer case is the same part number as a Tahoe has BW4484. FWIW GM quit using the Corporate 14 bolt many years ago, I think it was around 1999. Even still the 9.5" in the H2 is NOT a full floating rear axle nor does it have triple bearings for the pinion. It is a poser truck. If you want to go offroad, buy a Jeep Rubicon and sell everything underneath it and replace with Hi 9's, Atlas, etc. and you will spend less than buying an H2 and have a rig that can actually go rock crawling.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-17-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Sam - your H1 that you dont have cant do this either.

1/4 mile in 12.761 - not bad for a kleenex box on wheels

Upload

(Message edited by factoryKITTED on February 17, 2010)
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-17-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
Sam - the H2 actually snap a tie rod. I pulled this exact stunt in my 1/2 ton z71 silverado about 7 years ago. Unfortunately i cracked the front differential in half as well.

For the record that H2 is stock with no suspension lift and 315's on it.

Back to the Original Poster - I personally wouldn't buy the H1 to tow with. Get a few year old SuperDuty or Excursion and you will never look back.

Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-17-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
That H2 is not stock and it did not snap a tie rod, it popped the ball joint that holds the tie rod to the spindle.

quote:

By Brian Calvo (factorykitted) on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 11:47 am:
Sam - your H1 that you dont have cant do this either.

1/4 mile in 12.761 - not bad for a kleenex box on wheels

Just because you went out and spent (how much?) on a Mercedes you think it can do it all and that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread... Keep justifying your purchase...

I'll stick with my Scout Thanks!
Upload

and my new M-715 build up. So far I have a FF 14 Bolt Rear, a Dana 70 Front and a Cummings 6BT for it.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-17-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
My G55 is merely a toy - i like something that's off road capable, able to be washed off and be used for business or a night out on the town and take just about any vehicle off then line other than 997TT or GT-R.

I daily drive a diesel Excursion - for some reason you think im all hung up on the G. As said before Tahoe,Yukon,H2,H1 and the G are all fantastic cars - depends what you are going to use it for.

The G is a mini tank with 3 diff lockers that can pull sub 13's on the 1/4 mile - this fit all my wants and needs.

About my purchase....with only 350 units made a , year I can sell the G55 equal to or more than what i paid for it a year and half ago. MB of Austin offered me $600 less than I purchased it for to buy it outright from me last week - AND THAT FROM A DEALER. So drive a car for a year and a half, put 10k miles on it and get offered $600 below what you paid for it a year ago?? So other than oil changes the vehicle cost me $50/month to drive plus my initial investment. So i assume i would make about $4k-6k more from a private buyer....nuff said.

If that H2 has a lift than show me where then subframe is and why the factory skid plate is still in place.

Nice Scout...I also have a K5 with 1tons - 14bolt FF and Dana 60 on 37'' Bias Iroks.

Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-17-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
LOL... at first you didn't take the bait...

Are you buying a different boat, I see that yours is for sale. I like the colors. How is the real estate business treating you? I also saw that you were trying to get into the recreational garage/storage business with Man Shed USA. I know several people that are trying to develop that product line, some successful and others not so much. Not many people out there can afford a man cave in this economy, but some still can. How is it working for you?

The Scout will be for sale very soon. After I fixed it all up I don't have the heart to beat on it anymore. The M-715 will be strictly for beating on!

At minimum the H2 in that video has its torsion bars cranked up. I also think it has a cheap spindle kit on it too.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-17-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
Sold the 2007 Vapor Blue/Charcoal 23 LSV Wakesetter last week. My 2010 Red/Black 23 LSV Wakesetter came in a few months ago. Here it is at the winter boat show in Houston. My stereo guy has it now - getting full LED treatment and full Wetsounds - 5000 watts rms worth.

Real Estate in Austin is rather protected - not to say we havent seen a downturn but not like the rest of the US. Man cave concept was an idea back in 2006 which never was pursued due to the economy. Lets just say I'm glad i didnt follow through with that idea. You sure are interested in what I do for a living - not sure why??

Torsion bars cranked or not = stock

Upload
Upload

Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-17-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
Nice boat.

Having the torsion bars cranked and/or a spindle lift is not stock. It puts all the geometry out of whack and stresses the ball joints if a spindle lift is done. If it's just the torsion bars then it puts a lot of extra stress on all the joints.

Do you mostly do rentals? Commercial or Residential?
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-17-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
Thanks - im ready to get it back!

You specically said it had a suspension lift. Gettin under the truck and turning a bolt 3 turns still qualifies as stock in my book.

My old z71 truck that bought new from the dealer came with the driver side torsion bar completely maxed out = stock.

I specialize in downtown core residetial - these days split up 50/50 between sales and rentals. I dabble in commercial but it is not my focus. Most of my time is spent trading options.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-18-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
I am interested in that man shed idea, but couldn't get anything to come up on google. Got an address?
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-18-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
There are tons of the "Man Shed" or "Man Cave" companies. A lot of condo developers got into this game when the market started to head south. Lots of car wash guys also go in to the game. It is a very difficult business plan to make work. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.garagetown.com/

http://www.usagaragecondo.com/

http://www.luxurygaragecondo.com/

Basically they are selling a condominium ownership in a storage facility. Some are very swanky, while others feature the bare minimum.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-18-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
Oh. I thought they were selling backyard sheds that were actually man caves. That way you could say "hey honey I am going to go work in the shed" but you would actually be watching TV and drinking beer!
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-18-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Yep - Sam hit the nail on the head. Cool concept but wrong timing for most developers. I have seen some very swank ones.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-18-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Diggs,

To bring things back on track. I don't have any experience with the H1 but I know quite a bit about the 6.5 Turbo diesels in them. I have two tow vehicles with the 6.5's in them. There are a lot of misconceptions about that motor such as it is unreliable. They are a medium duty diesel so not really comparable to the powerstroke/cummins duramax but can be made to run well with a few mods.

My Suburban tows better than a 454 & gets 17+ mpg with a 4" lift and 33's. It also cost less than $7000.......
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-18-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
A 6.5L towing better than a 7.4L gasser?
By fuel economy and not paying gas prices yes. Everywhere else NO! For references I owned a 7.4L Suburban and a 8.1L Suburban and have towed the same routes towing my boat using a 6.5L Suburban and yes it had had the pump replaced under warranty. I briefly considered buying it until I used it. Way to gutless for me.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-18-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
Peter,

I have owned both also and have a bunch more experience with the 6.5 than just a few one off drives. They aren't the greatest engines ever by far but not as bad as made out to be for sure. Granted the 6.5 needs a few mods to run well but they don't cost much. The pumps rarely went out. Dealers replaced them because they didn't know any better. The PMD's go out frequently until remotely mounted. The big issue with the 6.5 is cooling. They tend to run too hot............
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-18-2010, 8:20 PM Reply   
Actually I have lots of experience with the 6.2L and the 6.5L in P30 vans. "When" the head gaskets go we found it better to do the entire motor, because everything else was not far behind. Cooling system issues was the motors biggest flaw.

The injection pumps were replaced under a no charge extended warranty due to the fact they had huge problems on the earlier models.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-19-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
You can always say the heck with the diesel and put a 7.4L in it...

454 H1 Hummer $26,900
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-19-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
thats sweet!