Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-31-2010, 11:54 PM Reply   
Somebody brought up an interesting point in the recent injury thread about stance and how far your are feet separated on your board. I was wondering how many have thought about this, and what everyone's typical stance distance is (obviously compared to height). In 10 years of wakeboarding, I've never really thought about this, but it definitely got me wondering.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-01-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
i stand all the way out, and im 6'. The way i look at this subject is there are a lot of people that are not ready to stand all the way out, or their bodies arnt built for it but do it anyways. its a bad combination.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-01-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
I ried the Decade 142, I am all the way out and nicely ducked at about 15 degrees on each foot.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-01-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
I watched an instructional video "the book", I think that is what it was. They say to jump up and when you land the distance your feet are apart is how you set them on your board and I think they said your feet should be turned 6-9 degrees out. To far out and/or in, in degrees can cause knee and ankle trouble. I have also heard this other places as well.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-01-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
My boarding stance is pretty much the same as my golfing stance. Both are figured for the best possible balance and movement. About shoulder width.

Much better golfer than boarder but I'm working on both.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-01-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
Several past threads on this subject that have lots of info.

The mechanics of your leg, particularly the hip, knee, and and ankle working together, suggests that a stance similar to what you would do when you jump off an object is the best stance for absorbing impact.

The best stance for board control and spinning is likely wider than the above stance. So it depends on your goals.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-01-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
I'm 6'1 and ride a 144 Viva. My theory on boot angle is to just stand on the board and do a weight-style squat. If the knees feel good in a load bearing position, that's where they oughta be. Ended up with me riding all the way out with a little duck. Degrees.... umm... Pi?
Old     (guest)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-01-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
I talked to my doc about this after he cleared me to ride and he said to keep my stance and everything the same. I was told that if its something im comfortable with then roll with it, and not get use to a different stance width or duck. the only thing i can see from my non medical background is being to much ducked and under rotating a spin and trying to slide the rest of it around on the water having an effect on your body mainly knee/knees. which just so happened to be my case altho i don't consider my stance very ducked