Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-24-2009, 11:15 PM Reply   
So I threw a backroll and then headed out into the flats to clear some rollers. Rolled the first roller, popped off the second roller, came up a little short and landed on top of the third roller and blew my front knee out!!!
I knew I was gonna land on top of it too and WAS prepared...but obviously something hit at the wrong time.
Last year I injured my back knee. This year my front knee.
How many folks on here have done some serious damage where it put you out of "safely" boarding for 2-3 months due to knee injuries.
SUCKS!!!!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-25-2009, 7:44 AM Reply   
Ive got bad knees now Sean, its just a matter of time before one goes out on me. Its been a year since I herniated a disk and it still gets me. So far this season Ive put my wakeboard on once but didnt push it like I used to. Surfin now. Take it easy and hope you get fixed soon.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-25-2009, 3:43 PM Reply   
I am not sure I need to read this. That sucks. My knee is so weak from ACL surgery it is scary.
Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-25-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
Gene.... come ride with us!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-25-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
Just had ACL surgery Nov last year. Only wakeboarded once since then, just wakesurf now.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-26-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
Frank I am only one major injury away from retiring my wakeboarding career. I will be riding with yall soon enough!
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2009, 5:24 PM Reply   
Tore up mine on 3 July. I'm on the Sky Ski for now and based on my visit with ortho last week I probably won't see a wakeboard until next spring and shouldn't be on the Sky Ski!
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-26-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
Jesus, most of you guys are my age or younger! Since I havn't blown a knee yet, am I on borrowed time?

Gene Williams = I laughed aloud when I opened your profile!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-26-2009, 10:13 PM Reply   
Sounds like some future SkySki riders talkin here.

Good luck in rehab.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-27-2009, 5:12 AM Reply   
I feel your pains. I tore my left one 6 years ago and it has held up nicely and then I tore my right one June 24 and will have surgery sometime next month. But I tore it playing softball so my wakeboarding career is looking more like it will continue at least for as long as I can. I love surfing but man I don't wanna be stuck with it just yet.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-27-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
no knee trouble, but tore the ligament around my right ankle earlier this summer. 7 weeks ago, just now back to riding...
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-27-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
I agree with Bill. Blew out my left knee wakeboarding a few years ago and switched to a hydrofoil. They still are brutal in crashes, but the chances of twisting something or overextending something are greatly reduced. Plus, I am back where my wakeboarding left off, landing inverts, etc...`
You should try one during your recovery!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
Still can't land any kind of good air on the damn things. Bill tried giving me some tips on that. I';ve kind of backed off the hydrofoil since I've really been working on landing my inverts on the wake board. Here is a pretty picture of what became of my last attempt

(Message edited by cjh1669 on July 27, 2009)
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2009, 2:44 PM Reply   
Ouch! Sorry Chris. Consider it paying your dues. Keep practicing & you'll get it.

The pics of the injuries when boarding are just as bad, believe me. I have a few of them myself in both disciplines. For me the determining factor has been age. At 43 yrs old I found that I was able to ride a foil, get some pretty good air & throw some pretty crazy tricks without getting injured (too badly). But my knees were taking a beating over 10 yrs ago. And frankly my shoulders still take it now..... guess I don't like to let go sometimes.

Best of luck healing up.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
Actually that's from an over rotated tantrum on a wakeboard, sorry if my post wasn't clear.

I still cannot land the air for some stupid reason on an hydrofoil. At 33 I have a feeling I will soon be moving to that more for my inverts, since I came back form a week long trip to glendo with that bruise and some sort of shoulder issue that won't go away due to wakebaording.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
Wow, seems like on an over rotated tantrum you'd land on your butt or back. Anyway, I know those deep thigh bruises suck. Hot tub, ice & massage will speed up the process. And always end in ice.

Shoulders.... read up on how to rehab a torn rotator cuff. It's basically resistance training, in a variety of different motions to reduce the scar tissue & increase the strength all around the shoulder, ie; upper arm, back, pec, etc. I still have the cheezy surgical tubing bands the PT gave me the first time around. I pick them up anytime I feel even a little pain in the shoulder. The bands from the P90X workout are even better.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-27-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
...torn mcl last year 4 years prior tibial plateau fracture (where tibia and femur come together).

...over both never looked back, a better rider today than previous years.

....everytime something happens I tell myself its a freak accident and will never happen again. So far i havent had the same injury twice.....so i must be right.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
I kind of flipped sideways when I hit some how. Not exactly sure.

Yeah I need to get it looked at, I'm a gym rat, but right now it hurst too much to do much upper body right now
Old     (lion90)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-28-2009, 4:10 AM Reply   
Beginning of last year is got a slight tear in my PCL, quad tendon and bruised my meniscus. I was out until late last year - no surgery as the damage wasn't repairable to any state better than it was. It was swollen for months and still to this day it gets irritated when I go boarding and I can't run like I used to since that knee just will never be as stable as it used to be.

Ride with an orthopedic prescribed brace on that knee. Going to be 41 but I am not going to let that stop me from doing what I love doing. I have pushed off doing an invert for years and I think at the end of this season, I am going to work on the backroll. Everyone tells me my technique is perfect for one and my height is more than enough. I just need to grow a set of testicles. Or find a set for sale somewhere! ;-)
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-28-2009, 10:40 PM Reply   
Ya I have been surfing the past couple of times I went out. Still fighting through the pain three months later. Knees heal soooo slow it seems.
Figured I would get a response like this. Guess its just part of the game. I dont think I will hang it up any time soon. But it sure sucks to just look at your board in the rack and know that your better safe than sorry to not put it back on yet.
I also have spent a few more weekends on Kings river ridding stand up jet skis. If you havent tried one they are pretty difficult. Its a fun challenge though. Get on one if you have the chance some time.