Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-18-2009, 10:29 AM Reply   
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/mar/18/mastercraft-gains-market-share/
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
Good for them!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-18-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
Who is Statistical Surveys Inc.?
I guess closing all those dealers in California
was good for sales.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-18-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
They didn't gain market share,they just didn't lose as much as others.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-18-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
Translation:
More Malibu dealers closed than MC dealers. Thus, market share gain! I smell corporate bonus!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-18-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
The could have a decrease in sales and still gain market "share".
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-18-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
Brock, market share is a fixed amount. It's impossible for everyone to lose market share. By definition, a gain in market share is the loss in market share by the whole of your competitors.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-18-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
I wonder how these numbers are affected by the excess in inventory that's sitting on showroom floors and/or having to be liquidated because of dealer closings such as all the Copes dealerships.

For example, if a dealership goes out of business with 20 Brand A and 10 Brand B boats on the showroom floor and those boats are auctioned off, Brand A just gained market share on Brand B according to Statistical Surveys (since that data is based on boat registrations). However, if they got auctioned off below cost just to satisfy the debts of the dealer, is that market share gain for Brand A necessarily a good thing? Please discuss! :-)
Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-18-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
Dave,

"If" the boats went to auction, most auctions require a dealer license to purchase. A dealer purchasing a boat has no effect on boat registration data. If a customer was using a dealer license, maybe there are a few, but not enough to throw the market share one way or the other.

The boat registration data is based on actual retail sales that in turn were registered to a resident of the state (usually for sales tax collection).

(Message edited by jaysus on March 18, 2009)
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-18-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
This is SPIN without any BEEF (data).

If the market shrinks then the bigger looser with a ton of excess inventory is in a better position to improve market share by dumping product at a loss.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-18-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
Jay, I think you're missing the point. Basically, if a boat is sold under a certain price, somebody is losing money. It might be the dealer, the finance company, the manufacturer or a bank. If I have a product and I'm losing a dollar on each one that I sell, I want to have the smallest market share possible because that means I'm losing less money. However, if I'm making a dollar profit on each boat, I want to maximize my market share. I hope that makes it more clear.

...or what GD said!
Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-18-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
I was pointing out that market share is based on actual retail units sold from a dealer to a consumer and registered to that owner. That's all :-)
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-19-2009, 4:46 AM Reply   
I would think that is smoke and mirrors as they have been for the past several years. You don't lay off a bunch of people if your share is truly growing. So as stated above the headline is misleading.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-19-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
If 1000 boats were sold last year, and companies A, B, C, and D each sold 250 they each have 25% of the market share. Now if this year only 500 boats are sold and A, B, and C each sold 100 but D sold 200, everyone's sales went down but D gained market share.

D still might have to layoff people since they sold 50 fewer boats than last year but it's still important that in a market where all sales were shrinking D's sales didn't shrink as much.

It's also important to note that market share has nothing to do with overall profit. D might've gotten that market share by slashing prices to the point where A, B, and C all made more money than D selling fewer boats. But market share is a piece of the overall puzzle and is particularly attractive to investors and lenders. It's also an important PR point.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-19-2009, 6:12 AM Reply   
Thanks for spelling out out for everyone Dante. Not everyone understands how sales and business work. You explained it pretty well.... couldnt have done any better myself!
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-19-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
The difference was 15 boats between MC and 'bu Which can be attributed to closing down Copes. I bet we seea flip flop now because Malibu is now doing exactly the same thing as MC did last year. Liquidating Copes boats.

(Message edited by xsmini on March 19, 2009)
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-19-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
And I think most if not all those boats are now sold.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Larzon, I bet you don't!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-19-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
I think its the cash rewards program putting them over the top.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-19-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
thats a good one ha ha
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-20-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
Is market share calculated when a boat is titled to the end user or when the boat is "sold" to the dealer via floor plan financing? I assume it is when the boat is titled to the end user but want to clarify.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-20-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
huh.... good question. Someone who cares enough should write the company who does the calculations.... I would be interested in knowing the results.... i just dont care enough to write the letter lol...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-20-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
Statistical Surveys bases their information on boat registrations to the end user in something like 47 states. Not sure why they don't get info from all 50.