Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (cwbx993)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-15-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
alright so im looking into getting a new board this week and i was wondering what boards have you rode that seem to have the most pop?

im wondering because my wake is pretty much nonexstitant and i need all the help i can get!
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-15-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
ibex
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-15-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
Try and match the amount of rocker the board has to the size of your wake. Boards with lots of Rocker will not perform well on a small wake.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
CWB Marius
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-15-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
Hyperlite Marek
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-15-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
cwb marius 2nd
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-15-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
Pop eh? hmm.... well if your looking for POP i'd say the 2005 Hyperlite Parks , but in all honesty, a smaller wake, look for a board with a more aggressive three stage rocker. Not necessarily a BANANA board, but a good 3 stage rocker.
I think my Premier pops pretty well on my girlfriend's family's boats teeny wake (a Monterey). It's a shocker gettin back behind the XSTAR after, but thats besides the point
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
"Boards with lots of Rocker will not perform well on a small wake."

Really? You stated that as a fact. Enlighten us!

Best popping board (for me) is a CWB Transcend. A lot of it has to do with your ability to time the pop on a given board, which in my experience is mostly about board speed, not rocker line.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-15-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
I know where you're coming from but you don't need the newest, "poppiest" board (yea, I know)....but you don't need all that. I would definitely try to upgrade from the sol, but if you get a decent board with some of the new tech, all you'll need is practice. Look at what some of those guys (and girls) could do back in the day...hell, most people on this board could out-ride me on the first board they ever owned and I have some pretty good stuff (equipment, that is). Anyway, upgrade but spend the rest of your money on gas and go practice your technique. Good luck....and have fun.
Old     (merrion13)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-15-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
Guys, the OP is a 15yr old female, I think the Marius and Marek will be too much board.

Hannah, my fiance has the Hyperlite Eden and she likes it a lot. She mostly does W2W jumps with the occassional grab and it works great for that. You may want to try posting on the 'girls who ride' forum for better insight from ladies who have experience with the different boards.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-15-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Look into the 131 Premier. I have one of my friends buy it and she loves it. Very controlled, mellow ride.

and here's proof big wake is NOT needed. You may know the name......Scott Byerly? Scroll down the page to see him riding back in the day. It's pretty cool. Good form does it!

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2008/02/exclusive_footage_of_a_young_s.html
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-15-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
Actually... Hyperlite took the Premier shape and made a Women's version, the Blur. It comes in a 131 and a 136.
Old    wakejjboard12            07-15-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
check out the jett.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-15-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
I've seen the Jett out and around before, it looked like a pretty sweet ride.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-15-2008, 3:45 PM Reply   
I based that comment on the experience I had with the 2006-2007 version of the Murray vs the Temet. The 2006-2007 Murray had a 3 in. rocker vs the Temet's 2.7. I normally ride behind a Malibu response which does not have a particularly large wake and less often behind a LSV. The Temet performed well behind both wakes where as the 2006-2007 Murray rode great behind the LSV but just seemed to dampen the Responses wake.

I also believe that Kyle Schmidt talks about this in the book.

(Message edited by johnm_ttu on July 15, 2008)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-15-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
Recoil !
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-15-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
I will 2nd the Transcend. The right speed and standing nice and tall at the top of the wake. The transcend seems to pull you straight up between your bindings. The best pop for me?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-15-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
Slingshot wakeboards

If you can, try one of the new flex boards, i.e. Slingshot recoil and or response. They not only flex but will return to their original shape quickly, adding extra boost off the wake, then upon landings, the board flexes and saves your joints more than any other board IMO. slingshot also offers the best boot-to-board connection of any company (4-hole mounting... but currently only slingshot has 4 hole mounting, but another company is on the rise that will move this direction too)

Other (rebounding) flex boards are:
Obrien local
LiquidForce press
Co. wake ________ (available next year probably)
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-15-2008, 9:45 PM Reply   
08 transcend, the pop is amazing
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
Transcend and the new gator prospect are the poppiest boards i've ridden
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-15-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
It's not just the pop, it's controled pop. Some boards are unpredictable. If you can't control the board, then what good is that?
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-16-2008, 12:05 AM Reply   
ronix mana.. not the board with the most pop.. but the most consistent popping board i have ever rode!
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-16-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
I used to ride the premier and thought it was a good popping board. Upgraded to the era this year and I find it even a bit better. I dont have a huge wake (small but has a good lip)
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-16-2008, 7:00 AM Reply   
I would go with a flex board. I grew up riding behind outboards, and after riding behind big wakes I never wanted to go back to riding behind outboards... until one of my buddies got a Roam. I am really impressed with both Slingshot and the O'Brien Local. Both are super duper fun and have great pop!
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-16-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
I second the Slingshot and the Mana... I love both!
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-16-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
my PS3 has really good pop.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-16-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
oh i didnt know it was a 15 year old girl.

get the hyperlite blur same shape as the premier and it has a ton of pop! My wife rides it and loves it!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-16-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
Demo, demo, demo. Each board is going to ride differently for you, you'll get on a board that people rave about... and it sucks. You'll get on a board some people trash... and it's great.

Find a board for you that has the riding characteristics you're looking for.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Recoil
Old     (erik_a)      Join Date: May 2007       07-16-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
Recoil.

I own/ride the '07 Marius, '07 Absolute and '07 Recoil. The two CWB boards (Marius & Absolute) were similar. But, for me, the Recoil was a very noticeable difference and had a LOT more pop.
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
If you want to demo some boards, The Liquid Edge is in Farmer City, Illinois and is still a Ronix dealer I believe. I'm not sure if you're partial to any specific board, Just food for thought...
Old     (bigjokerinthebox66)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-16-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
What about the LF substance? Not top of the line, but a proven shape.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-17-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
JJ not top of the line? What makes you say that? The substance, era and mana in my opinion are right there with eachother, similar shapes, all a little different rides but all seem to give me consistent pop and good overall handling. The substance is an ILL board, good price on it now too since its not a pro model anymore, was the best selling board of 05 if Im not mistaken...
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-17-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
i feel like the substance is a lil on the slow side.. and the era grips a hair too much.. i demo-ed alot of boards before goin w/ the mana.. and i dont know why ppl think slingshots have such good pop.. im not makin waves.. but just from visual things... watch jeff mckee hit a dub.. then watch watson.. or harf.. or even adam e or lariche hit a dub... much higher.. im all about innovation and progressing through technology. .but i just dont see how something that absorbs through flex could give you more pop.. mabybe im wrong.. but like i said.. not tryin to make waves at all..
Old     (bigjokerinthebox66)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-17-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Delta force, I was referring to its retail price. I didn't say it was a bad board.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-17-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
I think this is also a post where we can look back at the history of the sport and take a few lessons.

Early day wakeboarding, before the days of monster wakes, and towers...

Yes I know there's a few of you out there that can remember such a time, I mean sure it sounds like we're walking both ways uphill to and from school but you know what I'm talking about.

Then when we're sitting in our rockers remembering those days of early wakeboarding thinking about the big air thrown back then... We can start this conversation that many people seem to lose sight of. You know that one about good riding fundamentals, progressive edging, line tension, handle position, body position, and a go for broke mentality?

Maybe it's time we puff on the pipes and open the floor. Potentially allow any rider on any board and on any wake, to get just a little bit more out of what they're working with.

I don't know? It's just a thought.