Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (arcisz)      Join Date: May 2010       06-13-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   

from Joey Arcisz on Vimeo.

Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-13-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
That was an amazing run!! Too not fall or even come close to falling except for the d-up is just ridiculous with the run he laid down. Moby-d 5 in the middle of the run, switch toe 9 as your second hit, switch heel 7, skeezer 5 and then to have the energy for a switch 270 back lip is killer.
Does anyone have any of the other runs? It would be interesting to know if harley stood up his pass. Personally I thought Rusty had the better pass at the Acworth stop putting the toe 9 to switch toe 9s back to back but accidently throwing i believe a heel 7 off the double up which he already threw in his run (can't remember exactly) but i know he repeated a trick and it definitely cost him. Harley had more tricks and was very tech but they were two such completely different runs that I think Rusty with the extra 9 deserved it, and Harley screwing up his first rail.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-14-2010, 12:42 AM Reply   
Kyle- There were no double ups in pro men's finals in Acworth this year. There was a "bonus" trick. Double ups were a separate contest in Acworth. Also, Harley did not make finals in Ft. Worth. Phil, Hutton, and Harf came out out of that incredible semifinal heat.

Last edited by deltawake; 06-14-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-13-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
ummm here is rusty's run...

from Joey Arcisz on Vimeo.

I just now saw this video and HOLY CHIT I would not want to be a wakeboard judge. I don't even know how to go about this. If only Rusty got up and did the toe 9, he would have had to have won but sticking a 10 off the double up is a pretty good way to come back and lay down a hammer. Rusty has these things dialed.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-13-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
I just watched both runs again, and the only thing rusty didn't have was the moby dick 5. Otherwise he matched him up trick for trick pretty much, but had the one fall. Phil BARELY made his bs 7 off the dup and Rusty STOMPED a 10. Rusty wins definitely.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2010, 5:14 PM Reply   
Like you said being a wakeboard judge is hard work. Safe to say they have the best view in the house and call it the to the best of there abilities
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-13-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Huge props to Bryan Hutton on making the finals... He had one of the most stacked semi's heats i've ever seen and made it through. Nice Job BHUTT!
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-13-2010, 7:19 PM Reply   
dam how do u judge that? I prob would have given it to rusty for the 10 tho
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-13-2010, 9:30 PM Reply   
yea hutton rode by me a few timez the other day on the lake and threw kgb, ts ole mute 7, and off toe back 5 like they were wake jumps. last time I was in the boat and he rode tho he went back 7, toe 9, heel 9, toe back 5 all w2w and back to back. He will win a contest pretty soon. Cant wait till etown next weekend.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-13-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
I just rewatched both of the runs twice and I am going to change my call and give it to Phil. His rail work was MUCH more tech and stylish than Rusty's and his wake run was put together perfectly. Phil had a sw toe 9 like rusty, a hs bs 5 and a hs 7 where Rusty had the toe 9 and sw hs 7 for his big spins. For the style tricks, I liked Rusty's bs indy 180 but Phil's big melon 180 was also nice. Phils inverts is what put rusty down. They both did the nuc toe backroll, and skeezer 5s but Phil through in the Moby Dick 5 (definitely not one of his "gimme" tricks that the judges were probably stoked about) and the whirly 5 at the end of the run along with a method mobe and a pete all put together very fluidly. Phil's d-up bs 7 was almost a fall but with the run he did, the judges were right in not letting one trick beat his entire run. It was a perfect 10, and it looks like this is going to be rusty's closing trick now but something was just off when he missed that toe 9. Totally through him off of his flow. If he hit that toe 9, you can almost guarantee his next trick would have been the nuc roll to blind then his hs bs 5. I think if he got back up and hit the 9, his entire pass would have been different and there would have been no question that he was coming out on top. I almost have a feeling that he wanted a ts 10 instead of 9 on that fall to be the first to hit the w2w 10 in comp and it was an all or none approach. It isn't like rusty to repeat a trick and he backlipped the rooftop twice. It was almost like he was ensuring himself that he was going to do anything (or not do as much) to get to the double up to get his 10.
So props to Phil, you put together a killer killer run that I'm assuming Rusty saw first and you put the pressure on him to mess with his head a little bit which is a very hard thing to do.

Oh and props to Austin Hair for making back to back finals, the silent killer this year. Also good to see Harf back on the podium. I hope someone posts his run so we can see the new stuff he is up to.

Last edited by kyle_L; 06-13-2010 at 9:53 PM.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-13-2010, 9:55 PM Reply   
I dont get it, phil 81.something and rusty 73.something.

After watching both runs, I am either missing something or I am a wakeboarding moron because I thought rusty won that, and if not, how was his run a 73? I even think an 81 for phils run seems a bit low...

Oh well, great riding either way, and thanks for the videos. If only Fuel TV would make their broadcast an hour and show the full runs.

rant over.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-13-2010, 11:11 PM Reply   
Johnny, it was a 5 or 6 man final i believe. The scoring system uses a 3 or 4 category scoring system with composition, intensity, and technicality (This is not accurate I know but it is basically how it works) where the Top guy out of 5 in the first category gets a 33.33 the 2nd guy gets a 27.77777 3rd 22.22222 4th 16.66666 5th 11.1111 and 6th 5.55 and you add up their results in the three categories.
For me to get close to Rusty's score he got a 2nd 27.78 4th 16.67 2nd 27.78 equalling a 72.23 but i used my phone calc and was using continuous decimals.

I think it works something like that
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-14-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
Yeah Peter I understand, like a wild card trick in a cable contest. Harley stuck is KGB5 and I think Rusty did a heel 7 i believe which was a repeat trick from his run, correct? Harley fell in the final at Acworth and came out on top and Rusty did his signature run with his only mess up being his wild card trick, but again, so hard to judge. I watched that one a few times too though and thought Rusty deserved the win.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-14-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
What happened in Harley's run in Ft. Worth? I figured that guy wasn't going to lose a stop this year.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-14-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
There is in boat video of all the final runs up on funwhenwet. From the boat you can tell the difference between Phils and rusty's run. Rusty really didn't slide that well and duffed a couple of tricks pulling a hs3 at one stage instead of a 5. Ollie killed the sliders WOW. Having Phil riding seeded 5 and Rusty @ 1 makes it much harder for the judges to call but IMO they got it right.