Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-24-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
What's up guys! With the arrival of our first baby boy eight weeks ago I have searched countless forums over the past couple of weeks for ideas about custom Bimini tops for my aerial tower. With the baby now on board we figured we would need some shade next summer to keep little Jace cool. I decided to construct a bimini that would be rigid and not fold up (I live two miles from lake so wind at highway speeds are not an issue) I would build a frame and have a canvas made with eyelets in it so that i could use rope to fasten it to the frame trampoline style.

The boat is a 2004 bayliner 205 (I know not the coolest boat) but it serves the purpose of affordability for our family! The tower is an aerial airborne tower that I recently added.

The materials

2-10' 1" emt
2-DIY Bimini clamps
2-DIY speaker/mirror clamps
1/4 rope from tractor supply
Canvas stitched with eyelets by local seamstress $175
2 3/4" support poles from previous stock bayliner Bimini

I am currently finished building the frame for the top which is 63" wide an 5' long! I am an electrician so I have pipe bending skills. I used a one inch bender and bent two 90's on each stick of pipe to make the length from side to side 63". I then layed the pipe on the floor and cut the 90's back so that they would measure 5' from front to back. After Welding the pipe together I grinded down the weld and then sanded the pipe with 80 grit sand paper then 220 then 400. Th pipe was very slick after sanding so I then spray painted with rustoleum metallic spray paint which made it look powder coated! Here are a few pics of my boat and the frame that I have fabricated! I should be finished with the project middle of next week when my clamps come in and my top is back from seamstress. I will post more pics when finished.
Attached Images

Last edited by brucegoose23; 09-24-2011 at 7:41 AM.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-24-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
Cool project, looks really good so far!
Old     (MACH6)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-28-2011, 4:28 PM Reply   
Nice job.

How are you attaching the canvas to the bimini? are you wrapping around the edges or lashing it?

I just made a bimini for my boat on the weekend too, I sewed up my own cover & I can tell you it was a steep learning curve, only had to un-stitch about 2 feet when I stuffed up the concave bit at the back.

Here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old     (karenhenry04)      Join Date: Oct 2014       11-20-2014, 3:25 AM Reply   
Images posted are very nice they show that your Bimini top is awesome.

Will try to do for my boat.

Good job
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-20-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
Certainly not as nice as Scot's' custom fab job but a good looking, serviceable bimni none the less. I took the old cheepo bimni that came with the boat in 1979, raised it up into the tower and attached it with hose clamps. I drilled and riveted on some camel backs for the straps and it works awesome. No shakes, rattles or shimmies. i haven't touched since I put it up last year. You would never ever guess just how ghetto it is without a very close look.
For you my friend with a child and budget, this may work just fine,
Attached Images