Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Farmermunn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-14-2014, 10:56 AM Reply   
I am still a newbie for the most part in the wake sports world. We bought our Sanger V215 recently as our first v-drive wake boat and we are still learning and wishing we could use it more and more. At first I was not very impressed with the surf wave of the boat and was wanting more push and a bigger wave, so I started tinkering and here's what I came up with so far. The boat has 1000lbs stock ballast (500 front 250 each rear) but it wasn't enough. I replaced the port locker with a 600lb sumo sac and put 200lb lead tractor weights in the bottom of the locker. Now I can fill that up and add the stock 250lb bag on the port seat for 1050lbs on the surf side rear. I also fill the front full and have played around with filling the starboard side as well (1800lbs total), just to help sink the rear of the boat in the water. Still wanting to achieve the great looking waves I see from all the other more expensive boats equipped with surf gates, plates, tabs, systems, etc., I resorted to redneck-engineering my own. Obviously it's nothing fancy and has to be manually installed and removed just for surfing, and cannot switch side to side like the fancy ones, but for just a couple bucks in wood and a little elbow grease I think it is well worth it. I've only put two sessions in with the new contraption, but I think it made a huge improvement. As I said before, I am just a newb but I was able to lose the rope and go as long as I wanted to. The surf gate really smoothed out and cleaned up the face of the wave, as well as both lengthening and moving the pocket further back from the boat. Still could be even better I'm sure with more people or weight in the boat. Let me know what you think and here's the link to the youtube video.
Attached Images

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-14-2014, 12:41 PM Reply   
Wave looks pretty good. One thing I find a little odd about the gate though is that it goes down and follows the lines of the hull at an inward angle. I believe you may get better results if it was vertical instead of being angled downwards. That's just from me seeing other gate setups, but it does look good. I do like how you contoured the gate to continue off the hull so it flows.
Old     (SESanger)      Join Date: Apr 2013       08-14-2014, 3:09 PM Reply   
I could be mistaken but I suspect it follows the hull down at the same angle which is why the gate is not vertical.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-14-2014, 3:18 PM Reply   
I think that wave looks great. Nice and clean.. More weight and it will grow taller.

Maybe its just the picture angle but it looks like your gate comes straight out parallel with the edge of the hull instead of deflected away from the edge of the hull.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-14-2014, 3:41 PM Reply   
What kind of wood is that?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-14-2014, 5:28 PM Reply   
It looks like it follows the hull and it looks really good like that. I just wonder if it was flipped up at a 90 instead of that say 70 degree angle it currently is would help delay the convergence more.
It definitely is a good looking wave height and length wise. I find with the surf systems, the weighting responds well with a slight bias favoring the surf side to get a slight list, but not enough to make the gate not effective, maybe like 10% more on the surf side aka a person.
Old     (Farmermunn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-14-2014, 10:14 PM Reply   
The angle on the gate is matching the angle of the hull and the way it curves inward. I think Sangers curve in more than most other brands and the rear of the transom is not nice and flat either. That's why it has some funky angles and curves. I don't doubt there could be better ways to do it though, I just wish I had more time to play around with it and experiment more. Here's another pic that might help to give a better idea of the hull angles. Oh and the board is just a 1x12 from home depot treated to help it last a little longer.
Attached Images

Old    cheesesteak            08-15-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
Looks very much like one I built for my V230 last year . . .

Home Made Gate - V230
Attached Images

Last edited by cheesesteak; 08-15-2014 at 9:32 AM.
Old    cheesesteak            08-15-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
Straightened out the pick of my kid surfing . . . forum software won't let me edit the prior post - sorry.
Attached Images

Old     (Farmermunn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-15-2014, 2:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Looks very much like one I built for my V230 last year . . .

Home Made Gate - V230
When I got thinking about this project I searched around and I actually saw your boat and some others on the sanger nation forum. I tried to join that forum and add my results to that thread, but the administrator never activated my account. How has your surf gate held up? Have you had any issues with it warping over time?
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-15-2014, 3:47 PM Reply   
Just give that thing a good coat or two of fiberglass resin and warping shouldn't be an issue
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-15-2014, 3:48 PM Reply   
That's a great looking wave Cheesesteak!
Old    cheesesteak            08-16-2014, 9:20 AM Reply   
Yeah - it's warped just a bit - nothing that impacts it's usability - still works great. I made it as a prototype - intending on making something more durable if it worked. It still works fine - so I've put off building another.

Russ - thanks - the wave is "good enough" for us for sure.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-16-2014, 6:27 PM Reply   
May want to make sure you have someone driving the boat.....
Old     (zammer)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-19-2014, 4:29 PM Reply   
NIce work! thanks for posting im going to fab up one for my v215 as well asap here!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-21-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
Ok. I'm about to take a shot at building one of these. Waves look too good! I've got my 230 dialed but sometimes get nervous when I'm surfing and we're running 2000+ lbs in ballast and have taken a few rollers over the bow from rookie drivers. the face is SO clean!

Last edited by denverd1; 08-21-2014 at 8:10 AM.
Old     (Farmermunn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-22-2014, 12:55 PM Reply   
It definitely does help to clean up the face and make it a lot smoother. I need to get a good pic both with and without to better show the difference, but it's harvest time now and I haven't been on the water in weeks and things just keep getting busier. If only I could somehow get paid to play! Anyway, this was just my first test and it has worked well, but I had thought some about trying to make one out of some HDPE so it would last forever and I would never have to worry about it. This one is just 1x12 common board from Home Depot treated with some Thompson's WaterSeal and it has worked great considering how little money I had to invest in the project.