Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ferguson911)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-16-2014, 5:39 PM Reply   
Just released an awesome short edit! He has still got it! http://youtu.be/F4q5ogAOu8U
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-16-2014, 6:46 PM Reply   
Good to see Darin back at it.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-16-2014, 6:52 PM Reply   
rad.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-16-2014, 6:55 PM Reply   
And no knee braces.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-16-2014, 8:04 PM Reply   
holy glass
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-17-2014, 6:42 AM Reply   
Finally!
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-17-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
He also has some really great websites with instructionals.
Check out ridethespot.com
Darinshapiro.me
Wakeboardingis.com
Orlandowakeboardcoach.com
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2014, 7:05 AM Reply   
Funny - You see who filmed and produced it? One of the OG's of the sport - that's rad. Also noticed almost every single tricked grab no matter how hard. Nice to see the scud in full effect.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-17-2014, 8:12 AM Reply   
I always love his front to blind.
The steeze on that backroll to blind was sick. I had to watch it a few times to figure out what trick it was hahaha
Mexi'd it with swag.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
He's look'n good. Beautiful water conditions. Be nice to ride on that for sure.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       06-17-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
Awesome to see him riding again, what was that heelside spin at 48s that is wild looking.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-17-2014, 10:14 AM Reply   
I would love to see Shapiro & Harris ride doubles.
Old     (Wakebd)      Join Date: Nov 2012       06-17-2014, 11:55 AM Reply   
Shapiro, Harris, Lyman, Stewart would be the winning lotto numbers for me! Especially on a river where they could blast shoreline to shoreline.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-17-2014, 1:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA View Post
I always love his front to blind.
The steeze on that backroll to blind was sick. I had to watch it a few times to figure out what trick it was hahaha
Mexi'd it with swag.
I didnt see a roll to blind If you're referring to the trick at 49 seconds that is an Orbital 540, the Scud is the only one to do them. Its a Backside off axis 540 over the rope instead of passing the handle, he takes them to 7 as well!

Not sure if anyone else listened to Dano The Mano's pod cast with Shapiro on it, but apparently he is still landing speed balls (double HS Front flips) and plans to start breaking them out again soon.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-18-2014, 1:46 AM Reply   
Andy I was referring to the :49 trick!
My only knowledge of what an orbital looks like is from this DS 2008 video at 1:49

I can see how they're both the same trick...and how they're both technically off axis but the old one is much "more orbitally" than the new one IMO haha
I guess I'm happy that we partake in a sport where there's so much room for style/tricks to look unique.
Sometimes I get tripped up on OA TSFS tricks vs Crowmobes as well. In my head there's an overlap but I know I'm in the minority on this one lol

Stoked for more Shapiro footage, thanks for the heads up on the Dano Podcast.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-18-2014, 6:40 AM Reply   
I am not exactly sure what Shapiro is doing in the 2008 video, that looks like an old trick ski move over the rope. I agree tho sure is cool how anyone can put there own unique stamp on a trick. On this site http://darinshapiro.me/tag/darin-shapiro/ the 3 pic down is a still of the orbital 5, you can see how horizontal to the water he gets.

There is also one here in this video which I think is a longer video of the one you posted. It's at the 2:50 mark, shot from the boat so you can really see the axis and the over the rope motion. Randomly enough that trick is followed by a huge stomped speed ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frgtLnAJofY
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-18-2014, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA View Post
Andy I was referring to the :49 trick!
My only knowledge of what an orbital looks like is from this DS 2008 video at 1:49

I can see how they're both the same trick...and how they're both technically off axis but the old one is much "more orbitally" than the new one IMO haha
I guess I'm happy that we partake in a sport where there's so much room for style/tricks to look unique.
Sometimes I get tripped up on OA TSFS tricks vs Crowmobes as well. In my head there's an overlap but I know I'm in the minority on this one lol

Stoked for more Shapiro footage, thanks for the heads up on the Dano Podcast.
Vinny, that 2008 video at 1:49, he is doing a frontside 5 over the handle. 48 seconds of the new clip is definitely an orbital 540.

I love his method backside 1 over the rope in this new edit!!!
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-18-2014, 11:02 PM Reply   
Is that his personal boat? With all the resources at hand with him on Ronix now, he rolls behind a late 2000's WS instead of a flagship boat? Crazy video, crazy style. I've grown up watching video of his old XGames runs. Excited to see him whip out a speedball!
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-19-2014, 1:38 AM Reply   
That Russia video is gnarly. Orbitals look intimidating to try lol
Glad we cleared up any confusion, I feel a tad guilty now because I've def sent that 2008 edit to friends and pointed out the FS5 over the handle as an Orbital...
Awkward.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-19-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
Is that his personal boat? With all the resources at hand with him on Ronix now, he rolls behind a late 2000's WS instead of a flagship boat? Crazy video, crazy style. I've grown up watching video of his old XGames runs. Excited to see him whip out a speedball!
IN the pad cast I mentioned earlier he talks about riding behind a G23 on a regular basis. It would not surprise me if that was his ride tho- with the cost of new loaded wakeboats, they are not really affordable for anyone unless they're free.

Vinny, I started a thread here in 2009 about my love of the Orbital. I was hell bent on learning the. I was pretty much able to get off axis and on top to the rope and stall out there, then take a new blind slam into the water. I gave up after like 6 tries, my respect level for the trick went thru the roof at that point.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-19-2014, 8:43 AM Reply   
Still waiting for someone else to do an Iron Cross (wrapped moby dick). Think Shappy was the only one to do it. I am sure someone could put a new tweak on it. It is in several of the old videos.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-07-2014, 11:16 AM Reply   
no bad for someone plus 40