Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-25-2011, 9:11 PM Reply   
Looking at pre 99 sunsetters. Seeing a lot of LX and LXI. Whats the difference between hulls of the earlier models, and which throws the best wake?
Old     (BorderBoarder)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-26-2011, 1:59 AM Reply   
I spent most of my time behind my parents 99 Bu Sunsetter lx before I got my own boat. When some weight is added pretty evenly front to rear, and the wedge is used, the wakes have a good transition and are pretty firm. Obviously more weight = more size. Not knowing your skill level, it is a good beginner to intermediate level boat, mind you it is no vlx/210/xstar out of the box but I think there is plenty of potential. Both of these boats are direct drives and were/are crossover boats. I have no experience with the LXI but have read on themalibucrew.com that many believe it to be one of the best crossovers ever made. I know the ski wakes are supposed to be better on the lxi so that probably means wakeboard wakes aren't as good. IIRC a lx can be found cheaper than a lxi too. Do some searching on themalibucrew.com and see what you can find, lots of friendly people over there too.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2011, 6:00 AM Reply   
It thought they were the same hull, the only diffrence is the rear trunk area that sits higher than then the running surface. I could be wrong, but I believe they are the same underneth.
Old     (Brando86)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-26-2011, 7:08 AM Reply   
LX has the wake hull, LXI has the diamond hull. The wake hull is obviously the better hull to have for wakeboarding, and responds better to weight, whereas the diamond hull is designed more for skiing, but can still throw a nice wake if weighted properly.

The LXI is also slightly longer by a few inches, which is where they came up with the room for the rear locker. Both are classified as 21' boats though.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-26-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
LXI also has a walk through bow. i have a 2003 response lx, it is crap on room, especially after we put 2500+ pound of just fat sacs in there, but when we do that its only 3 of us strictly out there to wakeboard. It throws a really good wake for a direct drive with the wedge and has really good shape. cannot speak for pre 99 though and i've never weighted down a LXI either. my response also has a great ski wake too. we also break out the trick ski a good bit lately and pull the rope in a lot and have a ton of fun on those. go to malibucrew and they'll have plenty of answers for you though.
Old     (BorderBoarder)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-26-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
Sunsetter and Response are two completely different boats though, both sunsetters have walk through bows with a traditional bow layout. Both will be larger than a response as well.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-26-2011, 8:09 AM Reply   
IIRC the sunsetter has a deeper gunwale or whatever its called. someone please correct me if i'm wrong here. but deeper gunwale usually means more weight can be added. I'm limited in mine because at 2500 lbs i'm approaching the rubrail and have to drive very carefully, and will not do it on a busy day, we only weight like that when there aren't many boats out on the water.
Old     (Brando86)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-26-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippi View Post
LXI also has a walk through bow. i have a 2003 response lx, it is crap on room, especially after we put 2500+ pound of just fat sacs in there, but when we do that its only 3 of us strictly out there to wakeboard. It throws a really good wake for a direct drive with the wedge and has really good shape. cannot speak for pre 99 though and i've never weighted down a LXI either. my response also has a great ski wake too. we also break out the trick ski a good bit lately and pull the rope in a lot and have a ton of fun on those. go to malibucrew and they'll have plenty of answers for you though.
Regarding the sunsetter though, both the LX and LXI are open bow. They are both the same actually minus the LXI having the rear locker, and being on the diamond hull.
Old     (Brando86)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-26-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippi View Post
IIRC the sunsetter has a deeper gunwale or whatever its called. someone please correct me if i'm wrong here. but deeper gunwale usually means more weight can be added. I'm limited in mine because at 2500 lbs i'm approaching the rubrail and have to drive very carefully, and will not do it on a busy day, we only weight like that when there aren't many boats out on the water.

This is right. The sunsetter sits higher out of the water than the other malibu models offered during that time, allowing a lot more weight to be added.
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-27-2011, 8:43 PM Reply   
thanks for the info everyone!

when did the diamond hull and the wake hulls get introduced. From the small amount of research I've done it seems like the differences started in 99?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-27-2011, 9:02 PM Reply   
I think the 'wake' hull has been around since 96' BICBW. There is a hull chart over on www.themalibucrew.com and tons of threads with answers to your question. In short the SSLX is on the wake hull and will throw a much better surf and boarding wake. It's the Same hull as the older VLX and RIDE series so it's a tried and proven hull design. The SSLXi is a great crossover boat (some say one of the best ever) with really good ski wake and decent boarding wake. The SSLXi is 21'8" but the wet surface of the two boats is exactly the same (21') the additional 8" comes from the cantilevered trunk on the SSLXi.