Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-14-2014, 6:43 PM Reply   
I know this can go a lot of ways but I am in the market for a new boat and I want it to be the best for wake surfing. I have looked at the centurion 23 Enzo, and the Malibu 23 lsv. I like the cat system on centurions boat and have always heard the make the best wave. Now with the surf gate system I have seen pretty incredible waves with it as well. I can't go over a 23ft boat. I am open to hear about other boats waves and why you think they are better than others. Thanks
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-14-2014, 6:47 PM Reply   
From my experience Tige makes great huge wakes, and I bought one, but if I would have to choose again, I would chose NSS or Surfgate, just because I feel awkward having to tell people all the time to switch sides on the boat.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-14-2014, 6:51 PM Reply   
I also just did the exact research. Malibu has way nicer interiors and a way better wake for wake boarding. Centurion was no match for wake on the surf. Even with malibus surf gate it was still allot smaller than centurion. However we only wanted a boat for surfing thats why we bought a centurion. The malibus are way nicer boats IMO. And I own a 14 centurion. Just love the surf though on the centurion. Go water test both.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-14-2014, 7:05 PM Reply   
MC X-30
Tige Z3
Moomba Mojo
Supra SC
Axis A22
Malibu LSV
CC G23

These are the top surf boats from each of the bigger companies, in your size range and in no particular order.

All produce great waves. Some have surf systems.

Some perform better at wakeboarding and handle better than others.

Look and Test drive them all and you will know which is the right boat for you.
Old     (rbeckner27)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-14-2014, 7:25 PM Reply   
Unless you and your crew will only be surfing one side of the boat I would strongly recommend either a gravity or ram fill ballast system or a surf system allowing for quick change over as this will become the biggest inconvenience in my opinion. I have a mojo with the flow and I can make an awesome regular wave with even weight and the flow but I still prefer a listed boat for my goofy wave, which means pumping water and waiting. So with that being said if you decide to go evenly weighted with a surf system make sure you are very happy with each sides wave to avoid having to pump from one side to the other. If you prefer the listed approach look at the quick fill systems like centurion or mb as they allow for Quick efficient changeover from side to side with a listed boat.

Don't get me wrong I love my mojo but money was an object for me and this was my first inboard so that's why we chose this boat. But if money was no object or we could have had a dealer willing to work a better deal and known what to expect surfing we would be in something more along the lines of an mb or centurion with the quick fill or changeover system or maybe one of the higher end surf system boats. Just my personal feelings and suggestions.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-14-2014, 8:07 PM Reply   
-MB B52 23 will surf with the top 3, Tige, Centurion, Malibu with surf gate...but as expensive as the bottom two Moomba/Axis.....

The MB F22 also surfs well...
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-14-2014, 10:44 PM Reply   
Whatever you get, just make sure it has a surf system.

I'll be picking up a new boat in 2-3 summers when surf system boats are affordable.
I'll be looking for a middle of the road compromise in price vs wave.

But definitely get a boat with a surf system if you can swing the cash
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-14-2014, 11:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDirt View Post
-MB B52 23 will surf with the top 3, Tige, Centurion, Malibu with surf gate...but as expensive as the bottom two Moomba/Axis.....

The MB F22 also surfs well...
Totally agree. I would even go as far as saying the MB surfs better than the Tige
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-15-2014, 4:51 AM Reply   
none can hang with the 42' SeaRay
Attached Images

Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-15-2014, 4:59 AM Reply   
but the MB is hard to beat. I love my F21.

Ive surfed Tige z3, Malibu MXZ (surfgate), MB B-52, MB F21, Mastercraft X1, 23ft Sanger, SAN 211, G23, Axis vandell edition (surfgate)

the 23ft Sanger wave was real nice to

Not really impressed with surf gate. i would pick the nns over thaT

BUT REMEMBER THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
your best result for a wave is going to be sacking out a boat on the surf side
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-15-2014, 5:29 AM Reply   
The Supra SC has a pretty amazing surf wake with the Swell System
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       07-15-2014, 5:31 AM Reply   
Agreed, you will never get a truly amazing surf wake without listing the boat. I've ridden few boats with different systems, and it seems like the listed boats always have more push than boats that are just using gate systems. That's part of the reason I like the Tige's ConvexVX system, it's a surf system that works with the list of the boat to create a better wave. Had I known when I bought my RZ4 how much of a difference it would make, I would've gotten it at the time of purchase. The boat still throws a great surf wave even on factory ballast, but I rode an RZ2 a few weeks back with the VX and it put my RZ4 to shame. Plus if you're not always swapping sides then there really isn't a huge advantage to the gate systems.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-15-2014, 5:39 AM Reply   
I wouldn't sleep on the Axis A24. It's one of the best waves I've ever ridden.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-15-2014, 6:26 AM Reply   
We are new to surfing so I don't have a lot of experience with other boats and their waves, but here is my limited experience.

We have a MB F22... the stock wave is pretty good goofy side with the built in ballast, but needs some extra weight on the regular side if you don't have many people in the boat. We added to 400lbs sacs in the rear locker and port side storage and the wave is good. I think more weight would make it even longer.

We have friends with a new Malibu Wakesetter.....with surfgate and our wave is better than their's.. in both height and length. Still an awesome boat in everyway else... but probably still needs to add some weight.

Two other friends have Moomba LSV... both weighted down produce a long surfable wave, just not as tall as our MB's wave.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-15-2014, 7:04 AM Reply   
keep in mind the 15 MB boats will also have a surf system too.
Old     (Throwaway1)      Join Date: Nov 2013       07-15-2014, 7:26 AM Reply   
I'm going to mirror the MB comments. B52 23' wave is world class. and only getting better in '15
Plus fantastic build quality, and beautiful, durable interiors
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-15-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
Tige Z3 hands down best surf boat, for pure wave quality. Waves on both sides are clean and perfect shape. Easy to set up. Still have good rub rail height when loaded down.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-15-2014, 10:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
Whatever you get, just make sure it has a surf system.

I'll be picking up a new boat in 2-3 summers when surf system boats are affordable.
I'll be looking for a middle of the road compromise in price vs wave.

But definitely get a boat with a surf system if you can swing the cash
Boat prices go up every year, how are they going to be more affordable in 2-3 summers?
Old     (ecore)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-15-2014, 10:54 AM Reply   
^^ya I agree , I don't think you are going to get any better deal than an axis with surf gate
Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-15-2014, 3:04 PM Reply   
Does anybody have videos of a MB surf wave?
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-15-2014, 3:39 PM Reply   
Or MB's surf system?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-15-2014, 3:45 PM Reply   
Danny I was having some ballast issues (gate valve finally died) on this one, but it gives an idea (700 in peeps, 1100 in the corner, integrated bow sac, probably 300ish full, and 150 in lead in the bow):

it gets a little bigger and a little longer with the factory tank (an additional 1150) full too. For reference this is a 2011 wb 23 (same hull 2011-14).

Last edited by shawndoggy; 07-15-2014 at 3:53 PM.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-15-2014, 4:05 PM Reply   
Lmao!!
Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-15-2014, 4:45 PM Reply   
Thanks Shawn, that's a pretty nice wave.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-15-2014, 5:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Boat prices go up every year, how are they going to be more affordable in 2-3 summers?

Poor people like me have to buy used boats.
In a couple summers after all you rich folk have put 665hrs on a surf system boat and are upgrading, poor people like me can enjoy them.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-15-2014, 8:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightv10 View Post
Totally agree. I would even go as far as saying the MB surfs better than the Tige
I rode the boat that pulls the West Coast Open in a Clinic, z3...Awesome wave...but very comparable to my bagged F22 as far as push and length.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-15-2014, 8:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
I wouldn't sleep on the Axis A24. It's one of the best waves I've ever ridden.
I nearly went with the A24...I would agree from photos that the Axis is the best "out of the box" respectfully priced surf boat...with an epic wakeboard wake from what I have heard. The MB F22's wakeboard is $$$ also
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-15-2014, 9:09 PM Reply   
Centurion FX22 looks awesome to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9_-q4TbF8
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-16-2014, 8:16 AM Reply   
People really need to start riding a Tige, MB, Supreme, Centurion, Sanger and new supras if they thing there Axis, Bu, Nautique and Mastercraft is a surf boat. There is no comparison to the down the line speed, shape and firmness to actual surf specific hulls. These boats can run half the weight, half the fuel and make a better, easier to use surf wake than a wakeboard hull with some fancy apparatus on the rear end.

If you are looking for a surf boat, go demo as many as you can. Make sure they are all weighted correctly. You will quickly see why Tige is the fasting growing brand and other surf boats are gaining market share. The big three are really scared and there whole business model is now based around a Gen2, nss and surf gate. There is a reason there is so many advertisements for them making you believe that you need them.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-16-2014, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudelectronics View Post
People really need to start riding a Tige, MB, Supreme, Centurion, Sanger and new supras if they thing there Axis, Bu, Nautique and Mastercraft is a surf boat. There is no comparison to the down the line speed, shape and firmness to actual surf specific hulls. These boats can run half the weight, half the fuel and make a better, easier to use surf wake than a wakeboard hull with some fancy apparatus on the rear end.

If you are looking for a surf boat, go demo as many as you can. Make sure they are all weighted correctly. You will quickly see why Tige is the fasting growing brand and other surf boats are gaining market share. The big three are really scared and there whole business model is now based around a Gen2, nss and surf gate. There is a reason there is so many advertisements for them making you believe that you need them.
I hate to break it to you, but even tige is working on a surf system. I'm sorry i just don't agree with you. There are some amazing surf system boats out there right now and companies are tweaking their hulls to make them better every year. You can put more weight agianst a surf system than you can listed. Pretty soon all the boats will be running some sort of surf system. We're not too far form that point now.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-16-2014, 8:57 AM Reply   
So when did Tige become the fastest growing brand? I actually thought Axis had been the fastest growing in terms of market share for a while now. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-16-2014, 10:37 AM Reply   
they all have there place. I have found it much easier to make a great wakeboard wake over trying to make a good surf wake. I have had bu's for years, and now have an enzo 244, had 2 vlx's and my family had a lsv 23 and a super air 230. my friends all have different, current, great boats, all have great wake boarding wakes but not so good surf waves. We ride a new mxc 22, a mojo, and a supra sc and my enzo 244. There is nothing major that anyone can do different while boarding (i.e additional backflips, etc etc) that cannot be done on any of our boats, so when it comes to surfing, the only boat that everyone gravitates to is the enzo. I wish they would burn there gas. lol but its evident that making a surf wave requires more weigh and time to perfect and some of the companies do it better than others, and make it easier to set up
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-16-2014, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudelectronics View Post

Wait...... what?? Every one of the "big three" is running at full capacity right now. All three of them sold out all of their build slots, on their more popular boats, in 2014. Losing market share? Really scared?? I HIGHLY doubt that.

And Malibu is the only one that has been running away with any market share, in recent history. And it is obvious that Axis, and surfgate, were both driving factors for that.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       07-16-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
It seems so weird for a boat brand thread to go this long without JetRanger's asinine comments popping up....even with one of his alter ego screen names....

Last edited by FastR3DN3K; 07-16-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-16-2014, 6:44 PM Reply   
I have always been a Malibu fan, but I will not be purchasing another Malibu any tme soon. It will either be a Supra SC or a Centurion FS22. Not impressed with the Malibu any longer even after owning two. Just looking for a change and have not been extremely happy with my last VLX.
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-16-2014, 7:32 PM Reply   
I love my X30.
Old     (TN_Jeeper)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-16-2014, 7:57 PM Reply   
Posted this a couple times in other topics but as a enzo owner I have been really impressed with my friends 23 LSV with the surf gate. Here are a couple of pics from last weekend. It's not necessarily a better wake than the enzo throws but it is much easier to set up and switch sides.

We had 5 adults and about 2000 lbs of ballast.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-16-2014, 8:19 PM Reply   
Hey guys the hardcore surfers have spoken and your Malibu and MC waves just don't cut it. There is no way you will be able to do a giant 6" air without a perfectly weighted and shaped wave of a Tige, MBs or Centurion. Better sell your boats and buy one of these "surf specific" boats.

Can we please get back to watching you guys arguing about how wrong it is to use the term "push"?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-16-2014, 8:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Hey guys the hardcore surfers have spoken and your Malibu and MC waves just don't cut it. There is no way you will be able to do a giant 6" air without a perfectly weighted and shaped wave of a Tige, MBs or Centurion. Better sell your boats and buy one of these "surf specific" boats.

Can we please get back to watching you guys arguing about how wrong it is to use the term "push"?

Don't forget the dick vs ass hole beer drinking epidemic
Old     (AlbertaSurfer)      Join Date: May 2014       07-16-2014, 8:57 PM Reply   
Quote:

In all reality, nothing touches Centurion as far as wakesurfing is concerned. Ski Centurion decided 19 years ago to latch on to the surf market and have always been ahead of the game in my opinion. A Gen 2 X30 has nothing on CATS and Ramfill. Just because MC cost's more, doesn't mean it's better. There's been many a complaint on TT I'm sure you are familiar with where people are less than impressed with Gen 2.

The tread title asks "Best boat for wakesurfing", and truthfully, MC isn't even in the discussion.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-16-2014, 11:17 PM Reply   
Been waiting patiently for this thread to develop. I guess I gotta try a Centurion, MB etc because I've had my SAN goggles on for a long time. My problem with Centurion is their fit and finish has been $hit for so long that I have a hard time taking them seriously and MB's newer towers are so dang ugly to me that I have a hard time even looking at them. It sounds like they both have awesome surf wakes though. I'm in the market for a bigger badder surf machine. Guess I better do some demos and try to be open minded. I'm also goofy footed so can someone recommend a used boat between 40-50k that would make a good surf machine? Don't care which brand at this point. I've heard the SAN 220 is a good surf boat but have zero experience with it.

Last edited by markj; 07-16-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-17-2014, 5:30 AM Reply   
Mark a 2011 or 2012 MB 23' can probably be had in your price range if you could find one. There just aren't that many out there (I just tried and couldn't find one at all on onlyinboards or boattrader in a nationwide search). Note that the 2011s and 2012s have the older more traditional four point tower (for reference, a 2013 with the "old" tower: http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=43759).

There are a few steps you may need to take to get a used boat surf ready (trim tab is nearly mandatory for a clean wake, though a few have adopted the duffy mahoney style mud flap). The trim tab is a pretty easy diy project if you can't find a boat with the factory tab. Other than that it's pretty simple ballast configurations (weight in surfside corner, weight in bow). Unless the boat has an upgraded engine, you'll also need a torque prop like the 2315 or 2079. I believe that those props are factory options now, but definitely were not in 2011 or 2012. Prop rotation favors the goofy side on these boats so they really are dead simple to set up, assuming you have a trim tab. Getting a good wave can be frustrating at best without the trim tab.

Last edited by shawndoggy; 07-17-2014 at 5:34 AM.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-17-2014, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:

^ This!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2014, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:

That's awesome!!! LOL!!!
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-17-2014, 12:22 PM Reply   
Fit and finish. ..sorry boys the big 3 have it over the rest in quality. Way more important than any small difference in the wakes. How the boat handles, quality of the electronics, dash, upholstery and even styling enhance the enjoyment of Wake surfing. The OP asked about the best boat for WS. To single out one activity that is only a small part of the experience and value of spending such a large amount of money is irresponsible. I stand buy my MasterCraft X30 comments.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-17-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
"Fit and finish. ..sorry boys the big 3 have it over the rest in quality. Way more important than any small difference in the wakes. How the boat handles, quality of the electronics, dash, upholstery and even styling enhance the enjoyment of Wake surfing."

Translation: hey guys. Ignore my **** wave. Look how cool my dash looks!

true story... saw a 2012 Mastercraft X30 in my dealers parking lot last year. I ask, "What on earth is that brand new Mastercraft doing on your lot? The owner must have taken a huge bath on it". Dealer response: "Well, he went on Jay's (wakesurf school owner) Enzo 244, and decided he didn't want his mastercraft anymore. I have his 244 on order". Said it all for me.

Last edited by CarZin; 07-17-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-17-2014, 12:49 PM Reply   
unless your a die hard surfer, and love surfing like all others on this board love wakeboarding. They wont recognize that the big 3 just dont have the wave other brands do.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-17-2014, 3:06 PM Reply   
If you think that the G23, 23LSV, and X30, can't produce a wave that is anywhere near a Tige, or Enzo, you have clearly not been behind one that is dialed. The big 3 certainly have models that are not "great surf boats", but they certainly have at least 1 23' model, that is 90-95% as good for surfing, as any other, in its class. And the best part is, those three boats also have fantastic wakeboard wakes, and they still have plenty of storage, when loaded for surfing.

Sure, if you want that 100% best surf wake, buy an Enzo 244, but I hope you are not also that picky about the wakeboard wake....... It's not a bad wake, but it is not as good as more than 50% of the other wakeboats available. Not to mention, it has, what, 20-30% as much storage as the "big3" boats in its class.

It's all about priorities. If all you want to do, is surf, surf, surf, buy an enzo, or Tige. If you want a balanced blend, of great wakes all around, look at them all, and just choose the one that checks your boxes. Demo, Demo, Demo.
Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-17-2014, 3:26 PM Reply   
I love the advice I'm getting here!!! I am specifically wanting my next boat to be a surfing machine. As far as fit and finish, last time I looked online that didn't affect the wave by looking pretty or the depreciation value. As long as boats keep becoming more and more expensive a Malibu will depreciate just as much as a centurion. The big difference is the centurion doesn't cost as much to start with. I'm not a pro by any means but I have had enough concussions wake boarding so now I'll be a full time surfer. In return I want the best SURF boat!!! The advice I'm getting here is great and please feel free to attach videos of your waves and what your setups are. Thanks guys!
Old     (AlbertaSurfer)      Join Date: May 2014       07-17-2014, 3:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeWise View Post
Fit and finish. ..sorry boys the big 3 have it over the rest in quality. Way more important than any small difference in the wakes. How the boat handles, quality of the electronics, dash, upholstery and even styling enhance the enjoyment of Wake surfing. The OP asked about the best boat for WS. To single out one activity that is only a small part of the experience and value of spending such a large amount of money is irresponsible. I stand buy my MasterCraft X30 comments.
So paying $40k more for a boat with a half assed surf system consisting of piggy back bags, tabs and glitchy software, you're at least happy that you get carbon fibre look vinyl, billet aluminum and a glitchy touch screen?

I'm not doubting the quality of your X30, but for the money, shouldn't you be getting the best? I realize patents my have handcuffed MC to an extent, leaving Gen 2 to be what it is, but the response has been dismal. Too many companies have worried too much about the ability to switch sides in 3 seconds with some type of tab, rather than a proper wake. The reality of wake surfing is that people will add weight to list the boat in the never ending search for "bigger". As soon as extra bags come into play, the ability to switch sides quickly becomes moot.

For me, "best wakesurf boat" is still Centurion, and it's not at the lack of any fit and finish.
Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-17-2014, 3:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
If you think that the G23, 23LSV, and X30, can't produce a wave that is anywhere near a Tige, or Enzo, you have clearly not been behind one that is dialed. The big 3 certainly have models that are not "great surf boats", but they certainly have at least 1 23' model, that is 90-95% as good for surfing, as any other, in its class. And the best part is, those three boats also have fantastic wakeboard wakes, and they still have plenty of storage, when loaded for surfing.

Sure, if you want that 100% best surf wake, buy an Enzo 244, but I hope you are not also that picky about the wakeboard wake....... It's not a bad wake, but it is not as good as more than 50% of the other wakeboats available. Not to mention, it has, what, 20-30% as much storage as the "big3" boats in its class.

It's all about priorities. If all you want to do, is surf, surf, surf, buy an enzo, or Tige. If you want a balanced blend, of great wakes all around, look at them all, and just choose the one that checks your boxes. Demo, Demo, Demo.
I agree with this to a certain extent. I feel like the majority of wakeboarders (people who like to wake board) are not doing flips and so forth. They are jumping wake to wake and a 180 here and there. So to having a boat that is 100% surf and a so so wakeboard wave is perfect. Now if you are at the level of flipping and want to progress as a wakeboarder you can still do that on the so so wave but just not as high. But you don't lose the best surf wave at the same time. Now for those guys who are a hardcore wakeboarder then buy a boat that has a high level wakeboard wake. I use to have a 2004 SAN 210. Loaded with ballast and we could launch but all the tricks I could do behind that boat could be accomplished behind a so so wakeboard boat. I've seen guys do flips behind center console boats! But there not surfing behind that boat. So to sum it all up I rather have a boat that has the best surf wave than a boat that I sacrifice some just so I have a really good wake boarding wake. Just makes more since to me.
Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-17-2014, 3:37 PM Reply   
Also, if there is anybody that lives in Atlanta with a new Enzo, MB, or Tige that I can ride with let me know! I'll throw in gas!!! It will help me demo with actual people and not a salesman
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-17-2014, 4:08 PM Reply   
I had to jump in on this one . . . If anybody feels the fit and finish and quality of materials in a new Centurion isn't equal or better than any of the "big three" than I would have to argue they've never seen, or been in a new Centurion. As far as the surf wave goes there is not a boat built that will compete with a new Enzo straight from the factory/dealer. Sure a lot of boats out there with added ballast, or gadgets will do OK, but with a Centurion you don't have to mess with it - just use it!

Oh and as far as the fastest growing brand . . . . http://www.centurionboats.com/news/c...at-brands.html

Oh and as far as the best warranty available we have that one too . . . . http://www.centurionboats.com/warranty.html
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-17-2014, 4:50 PM Reply   
Best warranty? 5 years is equal to MasterCraft. At least get your facts right.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-17-2014, 5:33 PM Reply   
Ok so they are tied for the "best" warranty, but a Centurion is significantly less coin and throws a much better wave - nothing against MC, but that is fact.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-17-2014, 5:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator808 View Post
I love the advice I'm getting here!!! I am specifically wanting my next boat to be a surfing machine. As far as fit and finish, last time I looked online that didn't affect the wave by looking pretty or the depreciation value. As long as boats keep becoming more and more expensive a Malibu will depreciate just as much as a centurion. The big difference is the centurion doesn't cost as much to start with. I'm not a pro by any means but I have had enough concussions wake boarding so now I'll be a full time surfer. In return I want the best SURF boat!!! The advice I'm getting here is great and please feel free to attach videos of your waves and what your setups are. Thanks guys!
X2
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-17-2014, 5:50 PM Reply   
And to be honest Wakewise, Mike Viland's X-30 throws a mean wave, but it has been significantly modified and is slammed - I've seen that boat in action in person and it works well, but it has been made to do so and the question is still which boat is best for wakesurfing, not which boat can be made into a surf boat! Although I have a 2014 Centurion FX-22, I do still have an 06' Supreme v232 and it will throw as good a wave as anything out there, but we slam it with sacks, and the platform and wake plate have been modified to help it keep up with the new stuff. Not being biased just honest.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-17-2014, 6:32 PM Reply   
I'm all about getting the best wave in the most convenient way because it really sucks the fun out of the day when I have to spend it working! This is our Malibu 23 LSV with just some Plug and Play sacks in the back. No muss, no fuss!

Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-17-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
Travis, how is the wave on the fx22? I've been looking at those. How is the goofy side too? Any videos you can PM me would be awesome. Thanks
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-17-2014, 7:01 PM Reply   
Travis I just saw a facebook post with the Viland's new Nautique G21.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-17-2014, 7:09 PM Reply   
FX22 is now FS22. New for 2015. Check out the website and new tower too. Very nice.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-17-2014, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
I'm all about getting the best wave in the most convenient way because it really sucks the fun out of the day when I have to spend it working! This is our Malibu 23 LSV with just some Plug and Play sacks in the back. No muss, no fuss!

dave will the next one be another ghost? I miss that all white bu
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       07-17-2014, 8:35 PM Reply   
I have a 2013 210 with nss , I find it to be a good wave. I like surfing but it does get boring after a while, and yes I can do some airs, 360's and transfers. It seems like it is the new tubing. It is a poser sport. I think I actually find tubing more exciting. It is kinda like road biking vs downhill biking. You guys should get in shape and try a wakeboarding ,wake skating or salom skiing more. I mean look at most people surfing they just stand there . It is not exactly hard to do. I know people will talk about the pros and how good they are,yes they are good, but these guys board and wake skate too. It seems like is more about guys going look at how easy I can surf because my wake has so much push, well who couldn't stand there and surf with a beer in there hand with that size of wave.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-17-2014, 8:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockthis View Post
I have a 2013 210 with nss , I find it to be a good wave. I like surfing but it does get boring after a while, and yes I can do some airs, 360's and transfers. It seems like it is the new tubing. It is a poser sport. I think I actually find tubing more exciting. It is kinda like road biking vs downhill biking. You guys should get in shape and try a wakeboarding ,wake skating or salom skiing more. I mean look at most people surfing they just stand there . It is not exactly hard to do. I know people will talk about the pros and how good they are,yes they are good, but these guys board and wake skate too. It seems like is more about guys going look at how easy I can surf because my wake has so much push, well who couldn't stand there and surf with a beer in there hand with that size of wave.
Not to sure what most of this has to do with comparing boats
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       07-17-2014, 8:51 PM Reply   
Your right my bad
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-17-2014, 8:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Than maybe you should quit surfing, start tubing, and stop posting in surf threads??? I love analogies, I have heard some epic Canadian ones "fella"
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       07-17-2014, 8:58 PM Reply   
Well actually not a surf forum there buddy delux. Maybe I will start tubing ,at least it takes talent to stay on.
Old     (AlbertaSurfer)      Join Date: May 2014       07-17-2014, 9:06 PM Reply   
^^ guy gets it!

Slalom course goes in tomorrow. For a friendly weekend comp behind my XStar.

ˇhacer su propia diversión!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-17-2014, 9:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Well actually not a surf forum there buddy delux. Maybe I will start tubing ,at least it takes talent to stay on.
I said thread...not forum there hoser
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-17-2014, 10:21 PM Reply   
So I have a question for the "Hardcore" wake surfers, what tricks are you doing behind a Centurion that you are unable to do behind any of the surf system boats? Are these waves allowing you to take your tricks to the next level and land things like 360 and 540 shuv its, or does the better wave just mean its easier to surf without the rope?

I see everyone got mad at Shockthis, but you can't argue that just actually wake surfing is pretty easy and doesn't take much more talent than tubing. My 74 father in law got up and surfed his first try. We were all pretty impressed actually and when new people are scared I tell them the story and it relaxes them a bit.

And far as the poster saying how average wakeboarders can't do flips and such, what can the average wake surfer do? I would say stand up or barely let go of the rope at best. To me if this is the average rider, wouldn't something like an evenly weighted easier to drive boat, quick changes from side to side and easy setup plus things like storage and build quality be as important as having a "better" wave to the average consumer?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-17-2014, 10:50 PM Reply   
If by "everyone got mad at shock this" was me basically laughing at him....ya everyone seemed super mad....
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-17-2014, 11:09 PM Reply   
I guess your right wakedirt, it was just you. Sorry bout that. Guess I exagerated.
Old     (AlbertaSurfer)      Join Date: May 2014       07-18-2014, 12:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
So I have a question for the "Hardcore" wake surfers, what tricks are you doing behind a Centurion that you are unable to do behind any of the surf system boats? Are these waves allowing you to take your tricks to the next level and land things like 360 and 540 shuv its, or does the better wave just mean its easier to surf without the rope?

I see everyone got mad at Shockthis, but you can't argue that just actually wake surfing is pretty easy and doesn't take much more talent than tubing. My 74 father in law got up and surfed his first try. We were all pretty impressed actually and when new people are scared I tell them the story and it relaxes them a bit.

And far as the poster saying how average wakeboarders can't do flips and such, what can the average wake surfer do? I would say stand up or barely let go of the rope at best. To me if this is the average rider, wouldn't something like an evenly weighted easier to drive boat, quick changes from side to side and easy setup plus things like storage and build quality be as important as having a "better" wave to the average consumer?
Yeah yeah, you're right. Your X30 cost more than rival boats so there's no possible way anyone could do anything behind a Centurion or MB that couldn't be done behind your elite X30. You have the best wake, Gen 2 is the best system and no other company can compare to MC in fit and finish. Don't worry, you win. The $40k more you paid comes with a gold medal, for real.. I'm not even being facetious, it's really the best, so don't feel threatened. Nobody has ever done a wakesurf "trick" that your X30 can't handle. The X30 "coefficient of push" is greater than any other boat could hope for, mostly due to the gross carbon fibre look vinyl...

That good enough?

Could you imagine if someone dared to sell a better hull and not charge $125k for it? So stupid!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-18-2014, 4:28 AM Reply   
I am sure that 501s is very sorry that he cares about having a boat that offers more than just a great listed surf wave.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-18-2014, 5:46 AM Reply   
Is it raining outside? Why? Because you guys sure are wasting your time discussing which surf wave is best. We know you will never agree. So go out and surf so you can tell the others which tricks you can do behind your wave that he can't do behind his wave. Carry on Gentleman.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-18-2014, 5:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Oh and as far as the fastest growing brand . . . . http://www.centurionboats.com/news/c...at-brands.html
Wait wait wait. You cite us, not to a neutral source, but to Centurion's own webpage to support the statement that Centurion is the fastest growing brand. Seriously?

Look at what you cited to anyway. It says is that Centurion sold 61% more boats as of March 2014 than (presumably) by March of 2013.
Let me guess.... Centurion took a small snapshot of sales data and has attempted to characterize those numbers as an indicator that Centurion is the fastest growing brand. Ok.

Now, let's look at what those numbers actually say. "As of March 2014, Centurion posted a 61% increase in sales ...
Centurion posted the highest percentage increase among all towboat brands and a full 6% ahead of the next closest competitor."

Well, what Centurion conveniently doesn't tell us is how many boats it sold in the first quarter of 2013 and in the first quarter of 2014. Why? I have a theory...

I think we can all appreciate the fact that Centurion sells many fewer boats than its competitors (other than maybe mb and Epic). Of course, as a result, its much easier for Centurion to achieve a higher overall percentage increase in new boat sales - especially if you focus only on a single sales quarter.
I mean, 2014 model boats have been out since, what, summer of 2013. Why, then, didn't Centurion focus on sales data comparing total sales from the last two quarters of 2013 and the first quarter of 2014 to the last two quarters of 2012 and the first quarter of 2013?
(Seems like that would be a true indicator of how Centurion is purportedly increasing sales with its new and improved surf machines.)

Oh, back to my original point, so if Centurion sold, say, 10 boats in the first quarter of 2013, it would only have to sell 16 boats in the first quarter of 2014 to achieve a whopping 62.5% increase in sales. Wow, six more boats. Presumably, Centurion sells more boats than 10 or 16 boats in a given quarter - but you get my point.

A more accurate figure would be to look at total market share among all boats. I mean, for Malibu, a company that sells something like 3-4k in boats every year, to compete with Centurion's flaunted 61% growth in "new boat sales", it would have to sell like 2-2.5k more boats in a given year, or 500-750 more boats in a particular quarter.
C'mon man.

Now, if you tell me Centurion's percentage of market share of new inboard boat sales in the first quarter of 2014 (which takes into account the total number of new boat sales, and accurately indicates brand growth) increased more than any other brand, then that says something.
Where's that data?

I could be wrong, but my suspicion is that Centurion's total market share did not increase more than all other boat manufacturers for model year 2014, or even for the first quarter of calendar year 2014.
I say that because, if that were the case, Centurion would, in all likelihood, be making a big deal about it.

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just trying to address your claim that Centurion is "the fastest growing brand." As noted above, I just don't think that's an accurate statement.

I think what Centurion's numbers prove is simply that it sold a few more boats in the first quarter of 2014 than it did in 2013.

Last edited by chattwake; 07-18-2014 at 6:05 AM.
Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-18-2014, 6:08 AM Reply   
Chattwake, the book you just wrote is great and all. But I didn't get your opinions on what you thought the better boat was for wake surfing? Instead I got a lesson in statistics. I don't care who the fastest growing boat manufacturers are. I could careless if a brand new company came out today but if it threw the sickest surf wave I would probably give them a hard look. So back to the thread...best wake surfing boat in YOUR opinion and back it up with answering the question "why?".
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-18-2014, 6:28 AM Reply   
I have not ridden behind a Centurion. Their boats and waves may be the bees knees. I don't know.

Personally, I really like the wave behind the new LSV, the Axis A24 and the SANTE 230. I've ridden behind all of them. The waves are nice, big and clean.

Now, if you want to digress into which boat produces a great wave, and also is a smart boat to own in terms of price, resale, service, warranty, options, etc. That entails a bunch of different considerations. If you are actually considering buying something, I'm not sure why you would not care about such things, but that's just me.
Old     (ecore)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-18-2014, 6:55 AM Reply   
I've been reading through this forum and what I really don't understand is that people say that a surf system wave just won't cut it for them. But yet there are pro riders that ride behind Malibu and nautique. Like, I don't understand these riders choose to ride behind these boats so they must make a wave that is good enough to compete with centurion.

And like you can't really compare your centurion to your buddy's Malibu because your centurion is probably making the the biggest wave it could possibly make but your buddy's Malibu may only have 750s in the rear when you could have 1100s in the rear and make a much better wave and bigger wave.

All I am really trying to say is that you have to compare the best wave that a centurion makes to the best wave that a Malibu makes.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-18-2014, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Is it raining outside? Why? Because you guys sure are wasting your time discussing which surf wave is best. We know you will never agree. So go out and surf so you can tell the others which tricks you can do behind your wave that he can't do behind his wave. Carry on Gentleman.
Agreed!!! Enjoy what you got!