Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-29-2015, 11:46 AM Reply   
Hey WW'rs. Had a weird injury and wanted your thoughts. I will be going to doctor later in the week, but I know lots of experienced knees injuries here.

Already have had both knees scope 3 times in last 25 years. So I know that feeling.

Stretched as I always do, started doing warm up and small wake to wake jumps. Coming into wake, felt a pop in inside of knee on back leg and instant pain even before air born. Iced, rest, anti inflams last night.

This morning lots of pain from inside knee (a bit below knee cap) and than over to the shin. There was very little swelling, and no bruising. I can put weight on it and walk kind of normally. I can bend it and straighten it (hurts worse). I am assuming a meniscus tear or something similar, but have no particular experience. Was not wearing knee brace at the time and have been focusing at the gym on muscles supporting knees, although it has been 3 weeks since I was at gym last.

Would love your thoughts...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-29-2015, 12:06 PM Reply   
sry no experience with that one.. ouch. that sucks man. hope you get healed up fast
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-29-2015, 12:10 PM Reply   
Sounds like mcl to me
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-29-2015, 2:00 PM Reply   
If you have no experience with meniscus years what were all the scope procedures for?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-29-2015, 7:59 PM Reply   
Could be meniscus but I did mine at the same time as my ACL so I'm not sure if the symptoms were mutually exclusive to one or the other.

Locking up, pain was pretty good just a constant soreness, feels like there is a piece of gum on the bottom of your shoe type of thing but in your knee joint.

It's weird that it would just let go, that's an anatomically strong position for the knee joint...
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-30-2015, 8:53 AM Reply   
Bcd - Just years of sports - I am a bug guy (6'3 300 lbs) and been playing soccer/volleyball/wake/snow since I was very you and I play like I am 150 lber. So just cleaning them up from time to time. Last spring I had them both cleaned up and they have felt great since. Really focused on strengthening the surrounding the muscles this year, which makes this even weirder.

This morning woke up and pain was much less. Still inner knee over to shin, but no swelling/no bruising and joint feels strong. Still hurts, but walking more normally. Its like the side of the knee, but more toward the calf. There is no pressure point of pain and no movement that make it hurt worse. If anything straighten the leg hurts more. I have been doing the basics so maybe the anti inflam's are knocking it out and ice.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-30-2015, 9:00 AM Reply   
^ hamstring.

Sounds just like it.

I am a huge idiot and was aggressively (like 155s) deadlifting 2.5months after ACL surgery while it was still healing. Mid rep I felt a pop/tear and extreme pain. Went away pretty quick, no pain, felt weird, for a bit. It was the scar/healing tissue in my hamstring that let go. More or less what you're feeling

Last edited by simplej; 07-30-2015 at 9:04 AM.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-30-2015, 9:04 AM Reply   
How did they determine that? MRI - A friend that is a doctor said it could be something like that or a cyst that pops, but of course that is without xrays/mri
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-30-2015, 9:09 AM Reply   
PT felt me up, tested hamstring strength, lachmanns, pivot shift, meniscus test (forget what it is called), palated the area, all that fun stuff.

Determined it was the hamstring and scar tissue/cyst/whatever from healing where they took my hammy. Healed up in a few weeks and was fine.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-30-2015, 2:32 PM Reply   
My vote is with simple J here. I am thinking its scar tissue or a cyst. Gently hit the bike and stretch everything and see if that triggers any pain/warning signs. Also could have had a muscle snap back into place if it was really tight and not being stretched (very important to make sure no remaining scar tissue in the way to prevent everything from stretching properly).
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-30-2015, 5:44 PM Reply   
Dan/Simple - Man I hope that is all. My neighbor daughter thinks that is the case. Guess we shall see on MRI tomorrow
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-30-2015, 7:40 PM Reply   
Good luck!!!
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-30-2015, 8:30 PM Reply   
My point was it sounds like you have already torn cartilage in the past and scopes were to go in and clean up the damage. Once it tears, they just shave off the loose stuff and clean up scar tissue when they do a scope.