Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (abailey228)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-24-2017, 12:42 PM Reply   
Hey guys im about to pick up a new boat this week. I've found a killer deal on a 2014 23 LSV that has the 409 motor and 173 hours on it. Needs cleaned up as there is some mildew in it. Dealer is selling for 68k. I went and checked it out and I think a good detailing will have it looking good as new. It is a used boat though so I wont be the same as buying new.

Pros about this option:

- It's a malibu so it will hold its value well and will be easy to resell
-selling for under 70k which seems to be a very fair price
-has same surf and wake technology as a brand new 23 lsv (power wedge and surf gate)
-has touch screen controls

Cons:
-Was left without rainfly up for several months, cover is stretched and it got a lot of rain water inside. Seats have mold spots and will need detailed. This is why they are selling at a reduced rate
-used boat which means little or no warranty
-Next year it will be 4 years old

https://www.malibuboatsofcharlotte.c...-malibu-23lsv/

The other option is a 2016 Supreme S238 that was leftover from last year. It is brand new. I do not like the 2017 supreme because of they ditched the wrap around windshield.

Im considering this boat because
-Its brand new
-cost 70k and will brand new with warranty
-great looking boat and trailer

Cons:
-Could be hard to resell
-not sure about what the wake is like
-possibly underpowered
-less features than the malibu
-4 hours away.

https://www.centerhillsportsmarine.net/supreme

Can you guys please give me some feedback to help me decide what is the best route to go? I basically want the best bang for my buck and dont want to lose my shirt when I go to sell after a few seasons. I don't know much about either boat which is why I am posting here.

Thanks!
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       07-24-2017, 1:08 PM Reply   
I'd get the Sanger or mb
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-24-2017, 1:14 PM Reply   
I must have missed where the op was asking between a sanger or mb
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-24-2017, 1:21 PM Reply   
of those 2: selling in a few season, would push me toward the 'bu for resale. I'd also tell them to detail and throw in a new cover.

But Red's right, Sanger all day
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-24-2017, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlzelenik View Post
I must have missed where the op was asking between a sanger or mb
OP's looking for a boat. He just doesn't know what he's looking for!
Old     (abailey228)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-24-2017, 1:35 PM Reply   
I have not looked at either of those brands. Ive heard good things about the MB but have never seen one up close. I've seen the supreme and malibus in person and Ive been looking for some time and after several failed attempts I've done my best to just narrow it down to these two.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-24-2017, 2:08 PM Reply   
If you're looking for the surf wave go for the Supreme. The 238 has decent sub floor ballast but the wake gets really good when you add plug and play bags. Doesn't take much tweaking to get a world class surf wave. Honestly I'd quit letting the windshield bug you and get the newest model. I will almost guarantee you will not notice the difference when driving.

If your primary focus is wakeboarding then get the 'Bu. The Sanger and MB mentioned above would also fit well in the wakeboard category.

None of the boats mentioned above have the surf potential of a 238.
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       07-24-2017, 2:51 PM Reply   
Sanger for the win. MB's look deadly too.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       07-24-2017, 5:14 PM Reply   
Ya F it get a Sanger.
Old     (Padge)      Join Date: Feb 2017       07-24-2017, 6:51 PM Reply   
23 lsv with enough weight will out surf a supreme in my opinion
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-24-2017, 9:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padge View Post
23 lsv with enough weight will out surf a supreme in my opinion
You haven't spent time in a sacked out 238. I've spent a lot of time in an LSV and in my opinion it will not.
Old     (Chugh2surf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-24-2017, 10:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
You haven't spent time in a sacked out 238. I've spent a lot of time in an LSV and in my opinion it will not.

Agreed! Rode behind a supreme 238 last weekend with it weighted and set up like it would be for a contests and the wave was amazing. I would be worried at how well the Malibu was taken care of the supreme would be my choice hands down
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-25-2017, 5:06 AM Reply   
Get the Supra it will surf best.
Old     (abailey228)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-25-2017, 5:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
Get the Supra it will surf best.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/b...179338756.html

I did come across this boat. Guy said he would take 70k which seems like a smoking deal. I just dont know much about swell surf.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-25-2017, 6:12 AM Reply   
Malibu, hands down. For that price, you're going to be a in really great shape on resale. The 409 is a great motor and 173 hours in 4 years is very low.

No brainer.

Anyone telling an East-coaster to buy Sanger should get a shovel to the face. Same with MB, they're not common at all around these parts.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-25-2017, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Anyone telling an East-coaster to buy Sanger should get a shovel to the face. Same with MB, they're not common at all around these parts.
Yup. To this day I've never seen a Sanger. Maybe two MB's and both were older
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       07-25-2017, 7:42 AM Reply   
@tom anybody coming in a interweb forum asking a bunch of complete strangers how to spend 70 racks should get a shovel to the face, Along with the guy saying someone should get a shovel to the face.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       07-25-2017, 7:43 AM Reply   
As a matter of fact all the surfers surfing Vic's should get a shovel to the face. Along with the 20 something year old guys surfing.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-25-2017, 8:00 AM Reply   
haha, fair enough red dog
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-25-2017, 8:22 AM Reply   
Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 2828
Size:  108.8 KB
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       07-25-2017, 8:50 AM Reply   
^^lmfao!! WINNER!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-25-2017, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey228 View Post

I did come across this boat. Guy said he would take 70k which seems like a smoking deal. I just dont know much about swell surf.

Smoking deal. Take it and add Enzo sacs, surf freaking machine
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-25-2017, 2:44 PM Reply   
Smoking deal on the Supra....just have it checked out to be sure there are no underlying issues. But this appears to be a rare deal where the guy wants to lose money on his toy, to buy another toy. Jump on it fast or it will be gone. Supra totally changed their game this year and it will make them more popular for resale down road too. (New boats IMO are now....1). Centurion 2). Supra 3). Tige
BU is gonna have good resale but surfgate has a mushier wave, when it comes to surfing. Its decent but not great and I ride in one often so I know this for sure....Supreme will beat it at surfing all day. But you will lose more on the Supreme on resale.
Of those 3....Supra without question at $70k, easily worth more than that, probably an 80k boat right now. You could ride for a year and still get all your money out of it if that is what you decide to do.
On Sanger and MB, on East Coast you wont find anywhere to get warranty work done if you have an issue. I have never even seen either boat brand on water on East Coast in all my years here.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-26-2017, 5:42 AM Reply   
As for resale on the supreme you will be fine. I'm on my second supreme. Last one was a 14 226. Used it for two years put 300 hours on it and sold it for what I paid for it minus the cost of the upgraded stereo. Currently in a 16 238 and that we will sell at the end of the season and expect the same results.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-26-2017, 6:25 AM Reply   
the best thing you can do is test drive both. I also treat boats, boards, surf boards like I do my golf clubs. Not everyone set will work for everyone, not every club is perfect for everyone. Everyone wanted titlist ping and callaway bc they are the best names, but with the best name you pay a little more. I finally bought my new set but I bought off brand Taylormade, and love them. If I didn't by them it would have been a used set of Titleist. When I hit the two I found they did the exact same, so I boguth taylormade bc they were new same price as the used Titleist. I say this because unless you test both out and find out which one you prefer you wont know. If detailing is the biggest concern then id say go BU. I know Me personally I BOUGHT MALIBU, I did it because I live in an area where everything seems to be BUs. We have their HQ here so I figured if I need any help or parts easier to get. One thing to think about for you. Plus it created the best wake board wake as well. Little info straight from an engineer at BU. The 23 lsv your looking at is one of the longest running boats, and best seller in the boating industry. (don't shoot the messenger) He said it has out sold any other boat during its span and how long its been a around. My friends have it and they all love their boats. They have 09,08 and a 2012 I think. They all have a great wake!!! Great room as well. Just test drive each one and you will find your fit for you. I can only say good things of BUs, my only knock is my BU has the manual wedge it sucks but the wedge performance is awesome! Then again a lot of centurions had manual wake plate so it made me think it was ok when I bought it. Let us know how the test drive go, make sure you drive both sides of the wake for surfing.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-26-2017, 6:44 AM Reply   
H20king: Do you recoup your sales tax as well?
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-26-2017, 6:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey228 View Post

Yup this is a crazy good deal. I would make sure to take it for a spin though and monitor how the vision system, ballast, stereo and zero off are working. It is under warranty so that's nice but so is our 2015 SE and I am having a nightmare getting the electrical issues worked out. Dealer we bought it from(no longer a Supra dealer) told me pretty much everyone they have sold has come back with electrical problems
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-26-2017, 9:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
H20king: Do you recoup your sales tax as well?
We don't have sales tax
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       07-26-2017, 6:53 PM Reply   
2014 BU has the last gen dash and PW1, not bad things but not the same, and with the 2018 just released hull is 2 generations old. This may or may not affect resale. Supreme is new and has 5 years of warranty, there is something to be said for that.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-27-2017, 11:31 PM Reply   
You wonder if BU and MC are scratching their heads at the sales numbers right now and wondering what hit them. Bu has been too busy worrying about royalties and is getting owned. Or they're following the MC business plan of perceived value. Educated buyers have clearly moved on. The numbers don't lie. Several manufactures have better boats than anything they offer.
Anyone concerned about Supreme holding value missed the golden boy is behind the wheel, the guy literally has been ****ting golden wake boats for over a decade. It never mattered what name was on the side if it. Just my .02

Last edited by Gotmods; 07-27-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-28-2017, 5:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmods View Post
You wonder if BU and MC are scratching their heads at the sales numbers right now and wondering what hit them. Bu has been too busy worrying about royalties and is getting owned. Or they're following the MC business plan of perceived value. Educated buyers have clearly moved on. The numbers don't lie. Several manufactures have better boats than anything they offer.
Anyone concerned about Supreme holding value missed the golden boy is behind the wheel, the guy literally has been ****ting golden wake boats for over a decade. It never mattered what name was on the side if it. Just my .02
Please tell me how MCs have perceived value?

The fit and finish in an MC is second to none. I haven't seen any indication where MC sales numbers are down, if anything they are selling very good right now and resale is awesome.

Resale is all about location and name brand which is what Supreme and MB don't have nation wide because of lack of dealer let work. Up until recently, Supra has always be a second tier boat and still today while they are nice boats, they lack many things with fit and finish IMO just based on my neighbors issue with his SA.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       07-28-2017, 6:41 AM Reply   
Lol dave you must have a master craft.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       07-28-2017, 6:42 AM Reply   
You felt a lil burnt huh?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-28-2017, 7:06 AM Reply   
lol Malibu scratching their heads at sales numbers? They're doing the opposite, laughing all the way to the bank.

All manufacturers are doing fairly well right now. The boating industry, as a whole, is in a period of growth. Just be glad that we have a lot of choices. Anyway, back to the decision at hand.

I still think the Malibu is the better boat here, for all-around performance and from a name recognition and resale standpoint. The 23LSV is best selling 23 foot wake boat out there for a good reason.

For me, there is one Con for the Supreme that you mentioned casually, but it's a huge red flag for a wake boat. "-not sure about what the wake is like". Wake performance is 90% of a wake boat's value. I don't think that a supreme is going to throw a wakeboard wake worth a damn, and you're going to be frustrated that wakeboarding is difficult, and it's going to be hard to resell the boat if the wakeboard wake sucks.

Also, a dealership that is 4 hours away is not a good situation when you need warranty work. And trust me, any brand new boat is going to need warranty work.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 07-28-2017 at 7:10 AM.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-28-2017, 8:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog78 View Post
Lol dave you must have a master craft.
I do, but what does that matter when someone is posting fake news .

Regardless of what I have, MC and BU aren't hurting or scratching their heads. It's funny that most people on wakeworld bash a product they have never owned or really been around.

Seems like the whole boating industry is doing just fine regardless of brand.
Old     (Chugh2surf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-28-2017, 8:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
it's going to be hard to resell the boat if the wakeboard wake sucks.

To me I would think that the surf wave quality would matter the most. As much as wakesurfing is growing everyone is doing it. The majority of people are buying boat to surf. So I don't think it will be hard to resell a boat if the wakeboard wake sucks as long as the surf wake is good which the supremes is very good. I rode behind one a few weeks ago and spent some time looking at them and the wake was amazing as well as the interior. I thought they did an amazing job with the Supreme 238.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-28-2017, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugh2surf View Post
To me I would think that the surf wave quality would matter the most. As much as wakesurfing is growing everyone is doing it. The majority of people are buying boat to surf. So I don't think it will be hard to resell a boat if the wakeboard wake sucks as long as the surf wake is good which the supremes is very good. I rode behind one a few weeks ago and spent some time looking at them and the wake was amazing as well as the interior. I thought they did an amazing job with the Supreme 238.
And the 23LSV has surfgate, which is a huge selling point. I think based on the fact that the 23LSV is for sale at malibu boats of charlotte, that this person is in NC. In NC, we still have a lot of wakeboarders. Obviously a lot of surfers as well, the Malibu appeals to both buyers. And i can guarantee you that Supremes are essentially non-existent here. There are some around since Centurion dealers started carrying them a few years ago, but they are not nearly in large numbers. I've seen less than 5 in person on the lake.

Have you surfed a 23LSV? They throw a pretty bomb wake with virtually ZERO effort on "dialing it in". Fill ballast, wedge at 2 clicks, boom you're surfing a great wave.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-28-2017, 10:00 AM Reply   
some quick observations that I'm not alone in making. In the end the buyer chooses how to spend their money.

-fake news
https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...e-Results.html

-I own a 2012 MC and currently looking to upgrade. I'm not even considering another MC. Correct Craft, Fineline, and Skiers Choice all have better offerings

-Mashed Patato Setter, no thanks. And while they've positioned themselves to appear strong to investors in their quarterly's the sales data published by the NMMA doesn't support this. July looks to be bad news for Bu. There's better options out there.

-Dads are doing more surfing than ever and they're the ones buying boats, so it's extremely relevant.

To clarify my perceived value remark, I'm referring to people with money who don't know any better. The average guy with money who thinks it's a MC, it's the best, because a long long time ago there was a lot of truth to that.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2017, 10:14 AM Reply   
Mashed potato setter? LOL
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-28-2017, 10:26 AM Reply   
I just don't understand the Malibu hate. I'm not hating on any other brand, there are a lot of great boats out there. I understand if not every Malibu boat is the best in its category, but they are VERY good boats with incredibly good performance. In most of the markets where they have a presence and a good dealership, they have very good numbers and reputation.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2017, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
I just don't understand the Malibu hate. I'm not hating on any other brand, there are a lot of great boats out there. I understand if not every Malibu boat is the best in its category, but they are VERY good boats with incredibly good performance. In most of the markets where they have a presence and a good dealership, they have very good numbers and reputation.
Yep. They're the Chevrolet of boats. Nothin wrong with that.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-28-2017, 10:40 AM Reply   
Who does and why would you pay attention to quarterly financial statements of the manufacturer to use in deciding what boat to buy? LOL I could understand if it was a new company that you were worried about staying in business, but certainly not with MC, BU, CC, etc....
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-28-2017, 11:10 AM Reply   
I think at this point BU, Nautique, MC, Supra and Centurion are all making great boats and the performance is great as well. From my personal experience(having sat in all of them) I think Mastercraft and Nautique have the nicest fit and finish.

But on my lake we have several incredibly nice X46's and x23's and I'm not sure I've ever seen any of them pulling any watersports. I don't even feel like people talk much about the performance of Mastercrafts anymore, just how nice of a boat they are. Here they just cruise around with a full boat load playing music and taking in the scenery. Might just be me but from what I've seen the MCs have gone the way of the upper class lake cruiser/tube puller. Seems to be what the majority of buyers on our lake use them for. Just my observation... Bring on the butt hurt
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-28-2017, 12:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Yep. They're the Chevrolet of boats. Nothin wrong with that.
EDIT:

I'm not sure if you're being condescending or not. I probably wouldn't put it that way, though. They are a premium brand, no matter how you slice it. Spend a day in a 2017 22/24 MXZ and then come talk to me about being "the Chevrolet of boats".

Last edited by boardjnky4; 07-28-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-28-2017, 1:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfield View Post
Who does and why would you pay attention to quarterly financial statements of the manufacturer to use in deciding what boat to buy? LOL I could understand if it was a new company that you were worried about staying in business, but certainly not with MC, BU, CC, etc....
You have it backwards, buyers are dictating sales, numbers of sales are shifting towards other brands. It's interesting to look at the numbers and see LOTS of buyers shifting away from two brands that at one time combined had over half the market share.

So when you go look at and test drive new boats and love a correct craft or love a Fineline but are "meh" on the Malibu or "meh" on the MC know that a lot of people came to the same conclusion and bought accordingly. I'm not saying they're going to fail, but they're definitely going to have to fight harder for less share.

The "buy the (insert big 3 here) over (insert perceived lesser manufacturer here) because it's better and has better resale" days are over. That's perhaps where the entitlement and complacency came from, by two boat makers in particular, imo.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-28-2017, 1:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
EDIT:

I'm not sure if you're being condescending or not. I probably wouldn't put it that way, though. They are a premium brand, no matter how you slice it. Spend a day in a 2017 22/24 MXZ and then come talk to me about being "the Chevrolet of boats".
I think he meant you see the most Bu's compared to other boats. Kind of like you see more Chevy than Ford or Dodge.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2017, 1:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
EDIT:

Take it however you want. Sorry if I fogged up your owner's goggles. That wasn't my intent. I guess it depends on what you think of Chevrolet. I stand by my original assessment.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2017, 1:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
I think he meant you see the most Bu's compared to other boats. Kind of like you see more Chevy than Ford or Dodge.
Yes. There are plenty of them out there. Most popular brand for sure.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2017, 2:02 PM Reply   
I also think there are a lot of thin skinned Malibu owners who also feel the need to tell everyone how great their boat is. You don't see that as much with other brand's owners. It's like Malibu owners are the child that gets the most attention, but still feels ignored. Major inferiority complexes. Lol
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-28-2017, 2:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Take it however you want. Sorry if I fogged up your owner's goggles. That wasn't my intent. I guess it depends on what you think of Chevrolet. I stand by my original assessment.
I'll tell you what I think of Chevrolet.... I drive a Ford lol
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2017, 2:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'll tell you what I think of Chevrolet.... I drive a Ford lol
Yeah, and I drive a Ram. Lol tehe! Flame away!
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-28-2017, 2:33 PM Reply   
Mark, I would disagree with you. I find its the same with everyone and their boats. I don't brag about how great my BU is, I let the wake boarders who are better then me brag about it. I ride behind a lot of different boats, I do think as well as those riders, my wake is way better then newer, Moomba, supra, MC, Supreme, ePIC, and yes someone up here had one of those terrible gekkos. I will always say that I think the older BUs have a much better wake board wake then the newer ones or even the last decade. Id take my 04 vlx, over most new boats any day for wake boarding. Surfing different story. Family has a supra, its nice, but the wake is very mellow compared to the BU. I don't like mastercraft because I think they are just over Priced. I have been dying to ride behind a centurion not only wake boarding but would love to surf. my point is this, if your not proud of your boat you shouldn't have it. BE HAPPY YOU HAVE A BOAT. Any day on the lake on any boat is better then a day not on lake. TO say that about BU owners, is that BOATISM??? categorizing all owners of BU vs others??? I find when I read these threads their has only been one guy who was really compensating, and he owns a MB tomcat or something. I am a BU owner and proud of it, and I love my boat. Its one I can afford, one I can surf, not big waves but still surf, and have a killer wake board wake. Plus ITS A FLIPPING BOAT MAN!!!! that's my two cents mark. When you buy a boat the right boat, and best boat and perfect boat is the boat you can afford and that works for your needs. Im in banking and I see so many people max out everything just because they want a more expensive boat because they think they have to have it. Usually mastercraft Just fyi. have a great weekend all !! enjoy the water!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2017, 3:57 PM Reply   
Malibu boats and their owners are actually like that student who is sort of smart, shows up to class all the time, does the homework, gets a B+, but coulda done better if they really applied themselves.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-29-2017, 5:06 AM Reply   
I would not worry to much about brand recognition or dealer network with the supreme. The dealer network is growing quickly after the purchase of centurion and supreme by correct craft.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-29-2017, 7:35 AM Reply   
IMO, While Centurion has been making great boats for a long time, they changed the game with the RI series and even further upped their game with the FI that just released... and they will be getting more market share and brand will be growing a lot faster. Quite a few people jumping over to Centurion. Guess we will see tho
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-29-2017, 8:24 PM Reply   
Right now it's the big 1 (Nautique), everyone else (Malibu, Tige, Supra, MB, centurion, etc.), and then the "price point" boats (axis, Moomba, the R series for Tige,). Although I would argue that you can have just as much fun in a price point bias brand as you can in a Nautique....for about $40-60k less. I love what Nautique is doing and would probably have 1 if I had an extra $65k lying around.

In terms of mastercraft, sure they are nice and all, but not really a go-to boat around here for water sports. Only mastercrafts pulling anyone by me are 10+ years old. Mastercraft is the Yeti of wake boats. Way overpriced and can get something just as nice (Rtic) for a lot less. But hey, you gotta pay to put that Yeti sticker on your truck. Nautique is spendy but actually seem to care about having great wakes and waves.

So there you go. 3 tiers of wake boat manufactures plus mastercraft who Is resting on their laurels and selling to people who see paying a lot for their toys as a badge of honor/exclusivity.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-29-2017, 8:27 PM Reply   
^^^oh yeah....go with the LSV. Love the LSV.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-29-2017, 9:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
Right now it's the big 1 (Nautique), everyone else (Malibu, Tige, Supra, MB, centurion, etc.), and then the "price point" boats (axis, Moomba, the R series for Tige,). Although I would argue that you can have just as much fun in a price point bias brand as you can in a Nautique....for about $40-60k less. I love what Nautique is doing and would probably have 1 if I had an extra $65k lying around.

In terms of mastercraft, sure they are nice and all, but not really a go-to boat around here for water sports. Only mastercrafts pulling anyone by me are 10+ years old. Mastercraft is the Yeti of wake boats. Way overpriced and can get something just as nice (Rtic) for a lot less. But hey, you gotta pay to put that Yeti sticker on your truck. Nautique is spendy but actually seem to care about having great wakes and waves.

So there you go. 3 tiers of wake boat manufactures plus mastercraft who Is resting on their laurels and selling to people who see paying a lot for their toys as a badge of honor/exclusivity.
Totally agree with all of your points and I would go with the LSV too.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-31-2017, 5:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Malibu boats and their owners are actually like that student who is sort of smart, shows up to class all the time, does the homework, gets a B+, but coulda done better if they really applied themselves.
Mark, your examples are really great for BU, I know most B+ students are the ones who are well rounded. Like athletes, I know my B+ payed for my college since I didn't study 24/7 I was able to excel at sports which paid for my schooling. Most straight A students didn't have a life, they just studied. No social life, no sports, I would be happy to be a B+ because it means im more well rounded. Which I think explains BUs well, they are great for most people because they excel at a lot of things, unlike just being straight A only good at one thing. You remind me of a nautique boat kind of person with the hate you have to BUs. The few up here I know are like the people full of money who buy them just because they are expensive but never seen them actually do any surfing or wake boarding. They look awesome and cost a lot, but man id rather have a Bu any day GREAT FOR THE ATHLETES.

great CALL ON THE lsv!!! SEND US PICTURES ON HERE AND LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES!!!!
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-31-2017, 5:52 AM Reply   
I see it this way. Buy the one that has the closest dealer support (that you trust as a dealer). Every boat is good these days. I own a MC, and its truly a great boat with great quality. Are there newer boats that are better? Sure, but i bought MC because i have a good dealer 40 miles away. Now if a Moomba, or Supreme dealer was closer and i trusted them i would go that route too. As i said, they are ALL good boats today and will throw a great wake when set up.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-31-2017, 6:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
Please explain how MC doesn't care about the wakes/waves?

They have rolled out the XT lineup which surfs really nice stock and the X23 is a surf specific boat. They seem to have not focused soley on wakeboarding but how many people just wakeboard these days? All of these boats put out great wakeboard waves. If MC didn't care about that, they wouldn't be putting out new boats and would be offering the same boats from 10 years ago.

The last time I checked CC and Bu were priced just as high, if not higher than MC and they all surf about the same with the G taking the rein for best wakeboard wake. Other than that its all person preference.

During the purchase of our current boat, it was between the G and X23, which we ended up choosing the X23. The G was about 20K more at the end of the deal. There isn't a CC dealer near me in Louisiana, and the MC dealer has always gone above and beyond for us, which in the end, the dealer makes the boating experience.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-31-2017, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNwakeboarder86 View Post
Mark, your examples are really great for BU, I know most B+ students are the ones who are well rounded. Like athletes, I know my B+ payed for my college since I didn't study 24/7 I was able to excel at sports which paid for my schooling. Most straight A students didn't have a life, they just studied. No social life, no sports, I would be happy to be a B+ because it means im more well rounded. Which I think explains BUs well, they are great for most people because they excel at a lot of things, unlike just being straight A only good at one thing. You remind me of a nautique boat kind of person with the hate you have to BUs. The few up here I know are like the people full of money who buy them just because they are expensive but never seen them actually do any surfing or wake boarding. They look awesome and cost a lot, but man id rather have a Bu any day GREAT FOR THE ATHLETES.

great CALL ON THE lsv!!! SEND US PICTURES ON HERE AND LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES!!!!
Lol. I've been 90% joking the whole time. Pretty sure most people got it, except you. I do believe a lot of Malibu owners have an inferiority complex though.....and rightfully so.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-31-2017, 9:02 AM Reply   
no mark I got it. Trust me I got it. I just love giving crap right back to people. Especially from people who buy the fancy boats. Its not worth it, and what the heck would you by a fancy boy rider for and then try to surf. I always show them my scar from a boat prop on my ankle and say this could happen. I give crap to everyone. Especially the guys who said ill never surf behind my boat as well as theirs or be able to surf because I was to big. ALL THAT WAs false. Personally out of all boats I really want to try that HEYDAY. It looks like the bat mobile but any boat that is cheap to help people get into the sport I am all for. I know they have a show coming up in three weeks I think. I hope to get to see them. Who knows maybe that's the new boat we will see hit the market fast for all those people that work hard and don't make much money like ME HA.. All good mark, I don't find the complex in a lot of boat owners, I find it more in the boards that you see people riding. That is where the complex I think is seen very often!
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       07-31-2017, 4:45 PM Reply   
Back to the original question, it depends on what your primary focus is. If you want better surf wave get the supreme, if you are wakeboard centric the Bu may be a better fit.

The Bu waves are soft and mushy, like mashed potatoes, hence the nickname tatersetter. The supreme wave will be much firmer and better defined.

Also if your looking at a 2014 make sure it does not have MP 450. There was a reason these were used one year only.

Having dealer support is important, i had a 2014 and 2015 Malibu's and both lived in the shop. I moved to 2017 Centurion, it is much more stable so far. (I am 100 hours in) The new supreme will likely have a couple small issues EVERY new boat does. The 2014 Malibu is likely to start having more issues. The small 7" screens are problematic, and at $13-1800 repairs can get expensive fast.

I don't think BU or MC are hurting, the economy has improved to the point more people are buying boats and all are doing well. I do see them losing a bit of share to Supra/Moomba and Centurion/Supreme...