Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (CarbonSurf)      Join Date: Jun 2014       10-26-2014, 5:15 PM Reply   
Anyone try ballasts on larger boats 30ft plus upto 50ft?

I have seen some videos but not sure anyone is running ballasts.

Looking at the setup of some of the sportfisher type of boat might be s good candidate for ballasts and surfing hopefully.

Thanks
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-26-2014, 5:28 PM Reply   
480 sedan bridge is tough to beat in a production rig / day yacht. Both sides are awesome, no ballast needed. Back her down to 11 and surf. Own a refinery?
Big single screw work boats throw the best waves / non production but do tend to smell like fish.
Old     (CarbonSurf)      Join Date: Jun 2014       10-26-2014, 5:33 PM Reply   
Good thing Gas has gone down for how long who knows.

I seen some videos on trawler surfing looks cool, not sure if it is boat or the location where they were trawler surfing.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-27-2014, 6:50 AM Reply   
These guys can help you out... I think it was a 38 footer... DFW Surf..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzND_Ix7F94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAExXf1vOnA
Old     (CarbonSurf)      Join Date: Jun 2014       10-27-2014, 5:12 PM Reply   
Ya that's what I am talking about sick stuff!

Thanks for sharing
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-28-2014, 5:23 AM Reply   
Two types of 'wake' surfing with big boats. Basically deep water usually yachts, sport fishers etc., and shallow water (shallow where the wave is breaking, generally commercial fishing boats, etc.). For the deep water, people run slow and 'fast', depending on the situation. Most use ballast sacs, however, you are not seeing listing of these vessels. A few inches deeper/sunk makes a big difference in the wake when at this size of a vessel. The weight is used mostly to clean up the wake, not develop it.

The shallow water riding is more like surfing; the riders are riding the displacement wake as they hit the rapidly shallowing edge of the navigational channel. There is a culture of riders centered around the lobster boats in the NE, as well as others tied to various fisheries across coastal communities in the US.

Nick
Old     (CarbonSurf)      Join Date: Jun 2014       11-01-2014, 9:46 AM Reply   
Wow Nick that is cool I never would have thought that There is a culture of riders centered around the lobster boats.

After wakesurfing for 10+ yrs It is allot of fun, It is exciting to see the sport growing and all the new tricks.

The last 2 years have been exciting with manufactures pushing Wakesurfing mainstream *for the water sports.

Looking forward to the next 10yrs will be epic if someone is willing to take some huge risk and build something that will create a monster wave.

Enjoy Winter 2014- 2015 happy dreaming of big waves.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-17-2015, 5:22 PM Reply   
Ran across some great pics of guys out riding fishing trawler wakes up and down a river. The displacement energy breaks along the shore of the river producing a wave very similar to an ocean wind born wave.

You can check out the entire group of photos here.
Attached Images

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-17-2015, 10:55 PM Reply   
In Texas surfers have been surfing the wakes from oil tankers coming into the ship channels for decades. Plenty of YouTube videos of it.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-18-2015, 9:24 AM Reply   
AJ. I am aware. I have been tanker surfing for years, we started back in the 80s. We also did this type of surfing which is a bit different, at the cuts between some of the jetties. The south jetty at the north end of Galveston is great. You get tankers, fishing trawlers and pilot boats racing through. It breaks on the shallow shore line and truly breaks; depending on tide etc., tanker surfing over oyster reefs generally requires a longboard, and the wave do not typically break, but simple mush out.
Nick
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-18-2015, 9:51 AM Reply   
This is worth a quick watch. Antelope Point Marina used the 60' Predator along with loads of ballast to have a little fun on the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSK...ature=youtu.be