Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-28-2015, 10:33 AM Reply   
I want to re-do my RCA cables in my boat. when I got the boat, there was one cable that had a short and I cut off the end and spliced another end on it as a temp fix. but I'm getting some intermittent connection problems again so I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and get some good RCA's.

I want good, solid quality, but I don't want to spend any more than I have to. I have the WS420SQ, so I'm planning on running a pair of 4-channel RCA's. That will get me from the head unit to the 420, and from the 420 back to the 3 sets of inputs for towers/cabins/sub amps.

I've come up with a few choices. I'd like to know what you all would recommend for the best balance of price with quality.

Option 1: KnuKonceptz Karma = $52 shipped for a pair of 4 channel cables

Quote:
Karma SS RCA Cables - The New Karma SS line features a new braid shield to go along with its twisted Smoke/Silver design. Each channel also receives a mylar foil shield, blocking out unwanted noise from entering your audio signal. Termination of the Karma SS RCA is made complete with turbine cut, Black Chrome RCA connectors. Each end uses rubber o-rings to provide a sure grip for installation of the Karma SS Kable.
Also Available in 2 Channel, the KARSS4.6M is a 6 Meter (19.5ft) RCA Cable

Option 2: KnuKonceptz Krystal = $67 shipped for a pair of 4 channel cables

Quote:
The Krystal Kable is the Fort Knox of cables. This cable contains 4 different types of shield / noise rejection characteristics all in one cable! Each Pair is shielded by a Copper Foil to eliminate crosstalk and improve stereo separation. Features Include: Twisted Pair, Copper Foil wrapped Audio Signal Sub-Layer PVC Jacket Mylar Foil Shield Tinned Copper Braid Covering 98% of the surface area Gold Plated Metal Ends with Diagonal Kut Konnection The 6 Meter (19.5ft) 4 Channel Cable is finished in a rugged translucent smoke color PVC.
Option 3: Triple Shielded Xscorpion Ebay Cables = $26 Shipped for 2 pairs of 4 channel cables

Quote:
•4 channel RCA interconnect cables
•Triple shielded to remove noise
•Twisted design
•OFC balanced
•Dynamic zero noise high performance design
•Gold plated ends
•20' length
Option 4 = ???????????????

Last edited by trayson; 04-28-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-28-2015, 11:10 AM Reply   
https://www.darvex.com/store/pc/Stin...ts-110p555.htm
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-28-2015, 11:48 AM Reply   
don't forget splitters
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       04-28-2015, 2:04 PM Reply   
From the headunit to the ws420 you'll need 1set 2 rcas and from the 420 to the amps you'll need 3 sets. Unless your headunit and 420 are close enough, the 1 4 set will not be enough.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-28-2015, 2:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by volzalum View Post
From the headunit to the ws420 you'll need 1set 2 rcas and from the 420 to the amps you'll need 3 sets. Unless your headunit and 420 are close enough, the 1 4 set will not be enough.
I meant TWO pairs. I'll Edit:

I want to re-do my RCA cables in my boat. when I got the boat, there was one cable that had a short and I cut off the end and spliced another end on it as a temp fix. but I'm getting some intermittent connection problems again so I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and get some good RCA's.

I want good, solid quality, but I don't want to spend any more than I have to. I have the WS420SQ, so I'm planning on running a pair of 4-channel RCA's. That will get me from the head unit to the 420, and from the 420 back to the 3 sets of inputs for towers/cabins/sub amps.

I've come up with a few choices. I'd like to know what you all would recommend for the best balance of price with quality.

Option 1: KnuKonceptz Karma = $52 shipped for TWO pairs of 4 channel cables

Quote:
Karma SS RCA Cables - The New Karma SS line features a new braid shield to go along with its twisted Smoke/Silver design. Each channel also receives a mylar foil shield, blocking out unwanted noise from entering your audio signal. Termination of the Karma SS RCA is made complete with turbine cut, Black Chrome RCA connectors. Each end uses rubber o-rings to provide a sure grip for installation of the Karma SS Kable.
Also Available in 2 Channel, the KARSS4.6M is a 6 Meter (19.5ft) RCA Cable

Option 2: KnuKonceptz Krystal = $67 shipped for TWO pairs of 4 channel cables

Quote:
The Krystal Kable is the Fort Knox of cables. This cable contains 4 different types of shield / noise rejection characteristics all in one cable! Each Pair is shielded by a Copper Foil to eliminate crosstalk and improve stereo separation. Features Include: Twisted Pair, Copper Foil wrapped Audio Signal Sub-Layer PVC Jacket Mylar Foil Shield Tinned Copper Braid Covering 98% of the surface area Gold Plated Metal Ends with Diagonal Kut Konnection The 6 Meter (19.5ft) 4 Channel Cable is finished in a rugged translucent smoke color PVC.
Option 3: Triple Shielded Xscorpion Ebay Cables = $26 Shipped for 2 pairs of 4 channel cables

Quote:
•4 channel RCA interconnect cables
•Triple shielded to remove noise
•Twisted design
•OFC balanced
•Dynamic zero noise high performance design
•Gold plated ends
•20' length
Option 4 = ???????????????
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-28-2015, 2:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
don't forget splitters
Splitters? What splitters would I need?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-28-2015, 6:21 PM Reply   
you need spliters for your inboat speaker amp if you are using a four channel amp. The 420 only has one set of pre outs for the inboats. you will also need them for the tower amp if you are using four channels.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       04-28-2015, 9:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
you need spliters for your inboat speaker amp if you are using a four channel amp. The 420 only has one set of pre outs for the inboats. you will also need them for the tower amp if you are using four channels.
Most multi-channel amps will send a signal to all 4 channels if there is only one set of RCAs. Some do have a selector switch like WS for instance to choose that feature.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-28-2015, 10:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Like Jason said, most modern 4 channel amps have the option to combine a single pair of RCA inputs to all 4 channels. so if you have an A input and a B input, you can flip a switch and have the A input send the signal to both A and B. Hence, no splitters needed.

And FWIW, my towers are being run off a 2 channel amp.

So, I have 1 input for each of the 3 RCA's coming from the WS420.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-29-2015, 5:58 AM Reply   
was just putting it out there. My amp is fairly modern and does not have that option and if it does it missed it at install.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-29-2015, 8:18 AM Reply   
What amp is it Harold?

If it's the KS300.4, you have a switch for 2-channel input. Use the inputs for Channels 1&2, then move the switch to 2ch.

Last edited by jonyb; 04-29-2015 at 8:21 AM.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-29-2015, 8:51 AM Reply   
what would be the advantage of this over just using a set of splitters at the amp ??
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-29-2015, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
what would be the advantage of this over just using a set of splitters at the amp ??
Well the one obvious advantage is you don't need to buy splitters. The other advantage is splitters can introduce noise (they don't always but they can) and you avoid that possibility.

I have basically the exact same setup as you (ks300.4/ks600.2/ks1200.1) running from a 420 and use no splitters.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-29-2015, 9:02 AM Reply   
guess that's what I get for net reading the instructions LOL I have zero noise problems so I think ill just leave it as is. not much fun working in the storage compartment
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-29-2015, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
less connections and cables in the mix.

Kinda like what would get you the clearest line with the least voltage drop, a single cord or a bunch of extension cords plugged in together.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-29-2015, 9:44 AM Reply   
Here is my take on RCA's there are many things that can introduce noise and issues with your signal and eventually sound. If you get the highest quality RCAs you can afford then you are eliminating one potential noise issue. Also the way you run your RCAs can also help avoid noise.

I have NEVER have to wonder if a RCA is causing issues because the ones I'm running (and the brand doesn't matter) as long as they are quality RCAs with good solid connections your good to go.
It's nice to not have to wonder? Hey is a RCA bad? NOPE it's got to be somthing else. That piece of mind is worth the extra cost of the premium RCA IMO.

I'm not trying to beat my chest or brag but my system has Zero volume noise or motor whine. Example you can have the system cranked and if a song ends you don't hear any static or white noise. I can attribute that to quality interconnects. And processors,

The RCAs pictured above are nice. I have not used them in a whole system but info have a 20 foot jumper RCA from that company. (Mike J ) gave it to me and it's worked great for 8+ years of plugging and un plugging (connecting boats together)