Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sandaddiction)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-21-2017, 6:51 PM Reply   
All 2018s....what would have a better surf wave in the factor setup with added sacks in the rear lockers?

2018 MB B52 - 23
2018 Malibu 23 LSV
2018 Mastercraft XT23

Thanks!
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       09-21-2017, 6:59 PM Reply   
Those are all gonna be great boats in their own way and everyone will like something different. All depends on what YOU consider to be the "better" wave.
and....let the fighting begin! Cant believe I pounced on this first, haha
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       09-21-2017, 7:25 PM Reply   
Define "better". What are you looking for in a boat?
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-21-2017, 7:37 PM Reply   
Surf wave? Hands down 2018 MB B52, no extra sacs needed.

All three good, MB is excellent.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 09-21-2017 at 7:39 PM.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       09-22-2017, 12:37 AM Reply   
Why don't you throw the new Supra SL into the mix.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-22-2017, 5:58 AM Reply   
I have a 2017 23 LSV. While the design of the 2018 changed from an interior perspective, I've been told that the wetted surface of the 23 LSV did not change much at all. I can tell you I love the wave behind my LSV. I've owned a bunch of other boats, A22, A24, 21 VLX, 22VLX, XStar, SANTE 230, and ridden behind many more, and I find the wave behind the 23LSV to be excellent.

As many have said though, go demo the different models and decide for yourself. Also, factor in cost of purchase, resale value, dealer proximity, warranty and dealer quality/competency.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-22-2017, 6:13 AM Reply   
MB for sure plus will handle the best in rough water.
Old    Raffit78            09-23-2017, 11:33 AM Reply   
These threads are funny. The difference between any "newer" boat for any watersports activities is nominal. You should consider other bigger solutions to your problems. As stated above.

How many are in your crew, how far are you from a nearby (good) dealer, how long do you plan on keeping the boat? (Resale value). What is your price point? Have you demo'd any of these boats to see for yourself what you like better? Fit and finish.... the list goes on.

To base a boat off of just a surf wave is like basing a pair of shoes off of the shoe laces. More important things to consider.
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       09-23-2017, 5:56 PM Reply   
As someone who just bought a 2016 boat last year, prior to 2015 I would have disagreed with the above sentiment but literally everyone has a surf system now and every boat can put out a good enough surf wave for all but the most particular riders. Unless you're doing airs and shuv-it's with ease and have a quiver of boards I wouldn't put as much stress in the wave as I would in the above mentioned things, dealership rep being huge.

That being said an important part to consider if your home lakes because Surfgate vs surf tab systems work different with physics and the tab systems like MC and MB do not work as well under 15ft of water because the water is forced down and back up so if the lake is shallower the wave will suffer. Surfgate style ala Malibu is less prone to this problem but it definitely has an effect under 10 ft and really under 8ft.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       09-23-2017, 7:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80AM View Post
As someone who just bought a 2016 boat last year, prior to 2015 I would have disagreed with the above sentiment but literally everyone has a surf system now and every boat can put out a good enough surf wave for all but the most particular riders. Unless you're doing airs and shuv-it's with ease and have a quiver of boards I wouldn't put as much stress in the wave as I would in the above mentioned things, dealership rep being huge.

That being said an important part to consider if your home lakes because Surfgate vs surf tab systems work different with physics and the tab systems like MC and MB do not work as well under 15ft of water because the water is forced down and back up so if the lake is shallower the wave will suffer. Surfgate style ala Malibu is less prone to this problem but it definitely has an effect under 10 ft and really under 8ft.
Interesting information. Had not heard that before but it makes sense. Based on that principle the BU wedge could behave differently in shallow water also.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       09-23-2017, 8:50 PM Reply   
My Nauticurl suck gate would operate a lot like surfgate....10ft of water definitely effects my wave too, it will lose push and height fast is water gets to 10ft or under. Even 12-15ft you can tell some difference. May still be less than tab system, but it still effects a gate style wave, least it does on my boat, perhaps part of that is cause I have a real deep V hull.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-24-2017, 4:51 AM Reply   
Shallow water sucks---all systems are prone more or less equally.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-25-2017, 8:16 AM Reply   
Demo!!! But my vote is the new 2018 LSV, I rode in a contest 2 weeks ago that was pulled by a 2018 LSV. It was amazing!
Old     (edgeski1)      Join Date: Jan 2013 Location: Portage, Mi       09-25-2017, 11:06 AM Reply   
We are on a consistent 5' deep lake.

MB's do JUUUUST fine
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-25-2017, 5:25 PM Reply   
MB... that is all
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-26-2017, 5:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeski1 View Post

MB's do JUUUUST fine
No boat will do fine in 5' of water. Wakeboarding or wakesurfing the wave will be significantly smaller in shallow water compared to deeper water.

Anyone can put a camera at waterlevel and aim up, creating the illusion that the wake is bigger than it really is.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       09-26-2017, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeski1 View Post

MB's do JUUUUST fine
sorry Zach but I was on your lake demoing and it wasn't working - no matter which boat. 5ft will bounce back - I experience the same in our lake even for wakeboarding if the water level drops.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-26-2017, 4:46 PM Reply   
Can you surf in 5'? Sure! Does it suck? Yes. But it's better than nothing!
Old     (edgeski1)      Join Date: Jan 2013 Location: Portage, Mi       09-27-2017, 7:04 AM Reply   
I want to start out saying, is 5' a hindrance, absolutely! Our waves are far greater in deep water.

But, without question, all of the new boats on our lake are surfing, all day long, no questions asked.
Old     (CSBCHICAGO)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-30-2017, 12:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaddiction View Post
All 2018s....what would have a better surf wave in the factor setup with added sacks in the rear lockers?

2018 MB B52 - 23
2018 Malibu 23 LSV
2018 Mastercraft XT23

Thanks!
2018 Fi23 from Centurion by CorrectCraft . 4750lbs of available factory ballast? No need to worry about adding anything. New OptiV hull...
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-30-2017, 2:42 PM Reply   
As everyone already said, it's really a matter of personnal choices.. pretty all big brand have similar surf system, they're all get the job done.
Demo all boat you're looking for is the best advice you can get.
Never forget to buy the dealership too. A good service and a near dealer is ALWAYS a must for me.

For your choices, I pretty all tried 2017 models and bought a Super Air Nautique.
I might suggest adding the centurion Ri237 and Nautique g23.
G23 always been my "prefered" surf machine over all. Pricy but not overpriced, you pay for what you get.
The 2017 centurion is my top1 tho. They really impressed me when I tested a ri217.
These boats are surf beast, but really heavy. Definitely bought a centurion if I haven't lake restriction.

23 LSV is hell of a boat and not many boats can defeat it for my personal opinion, enverything is top notch except the carpet haha.. don't know if 2018 get rid of them but 2017 was still there!
Do not have MB sport in the state so I can't tell. And mastercraft for me always been over priced and little bit less "surf boat".
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-01-2017, 4:39 AM Reply   
I rode an XT23 yesterday & loved the boat. Wave is very similar to my 2013 b52 wave but I am running 5400 pounds to the 2600 I believe the sales guy said. My wave is taller & more powerful but I think with more weight that XT23 would be every bit as good. If money wasn't the issue & I base my decision on Mastercraft being the better dealer locally I would get one. I've only surfed the mxz22 which is supposedly better than the LSV & i personally would choose the Mastercraft over the mxz. I also don't like that with surfgate you can't really sac the boat much more cause once you bury the gate the wave is terrible. But for me, I can't afford either so I like MB & aside from hinged seats, a better tower, better fit & finish over all I don't see the cost different being worth it for me & the addition of all the technology & electronics on the Mastercraft are like an abusive spouse that now has you dependent & needing them. I would like to check out a G, the Ri but they're way over budget so I'll need to make a friend with one.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       10-03-2017, 7:58 AM Reply   
Go check out the Supra SL and Supra SA , much more affordable than the G23
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       10-26-2017, 5:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaddiction View Post

2018 MB B52 - 23

2018 Malibu 23 LSV

2018 Mastercraft XT23

Thanks!

I can tell you all three boats have good surf wakes. In my opinion it comes down to which boat you like best. Malibu really upgraded the interior on the 18'. The surf wake is also the best I have been on to date. Check Instagram feed for a video and a few pics of the wake. Instagram feed = connolly_crew
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       10-26-2017, 5:17 AM Reply   
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-26-2017, 11:50 AM Reply   
Thanks. Now we have a good picture of Jerald. Nice. Very helpful.
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       10-26-2017, 11:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
Thanks. Now we have a good picture of Jerald. Nice. Very helpful.

The picture is of the wake, there are not May photos of the 18' 23 in the wild.... Just putting it out there... BTW, that's Aiden....🤷🏻*♂️
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       10-26-2017, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
Yeah, sure they are...Your just tiny with a big wake...

Yeah, your right... you caught me.....
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       10-26-2017, 12:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
I rode an XT23 yesterday & loved the boat. Wave is very similar to my 2013 b52 wave but I am running 5400 pounds to the 2600 I believe the sales guy said. My wave is taller & more powerful but I think with more weight that XT23 would be every bit as good. If money wasn't the issue & I base my decision on Mastercraft being the better dealer locally I would get one. I've only surfed the mxz22 which is supposedly better than the LSV & i personally would choose the Mastercraft over the mxz. I also don't like that with surfgate you can't really sac the boat much more cause once you bury the gate the wave is terrible. But for me, I can't afford either so I like MB & aside from hinged seats, a better tower, better fit & finish over all I don't see the cost different being worth it for me & the addition of all the technology & electronics on the Mastercraft are like an abusive spouse that now has you dependent & needing them. I would like to check out a G, the Ri but they're way over budget so I'll need to make a friend with one.

You can run a lot of weight in a Malibu if setup properly. Aks me how I know....And I agreed the XT is a great boat, throws a good wake for boarding and surfing. Very similar to the Malibu.

Last edited by Connolly_Crew; 10-26-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       10-27-2017, 9:32 AM Reply   
Biggest factors are going to be dealer support and budget. Every new boat will have a couple issues. However some have more than others.

The MB is tough to beat value wise, if you have a good dealer near by. A lot less $$ than XT23 or 23LSV. Great wave at good price point.

The next choice again if you have a dealer close by would be Centurion FI23, stellar surf/wakeboard, and priced better than XT23 or 23LSV. These can be had sub 100k if your carefull ordering. They can also be 115k+ if you start checking all the boxes.

These two will also have best rough water ride.

The MC i dont know much about so will not comment.

The BU wave will be a bit softer than the other two, but still a very fun wave. The LSV is also fairly good at resale.

Go demo enjoy the shopping experience.