Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-28-2017, 12:13 PM Reply   
This kid is going far.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZj1Jy6l...by=tylerhigham
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-28-2017, 12:20 PM Reply   
That was sick!

Last edited by ryan_shima1; 09-28-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: mistake
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2017, 1:16 PM Reply   
Sick
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2017, 6:41 AM Reply   
So dang good, I love where boat riding has been going lately
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-29-2017, 9:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
So dang good, I love where boat riding has been going lately
wheres its going? I lie that we as boat riders haven't been phased out completely , yet

However that's an old school trick, not going bringing it back
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-29-2017, 9:24 AM Reply   
solid.

Stevo, things are definitely getting turned up a notch.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-29-2017, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
wheres its going? I lie that we as boat riders haven't been phased out completely , yet

bringing it back with style
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-29-2017, 10:08 AM Reply   
That was sick! Funny how it looks like he is about to pass the handle then is like "naw, no need."
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-29-2017, 10:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post

Old school trick? How old school are you suggesting?
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-29-2017, 12:12 PM Reply   
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone land wrapped in that exact way
Old     (hyperlite291)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-29-2017, 6:43 PM Reply   
cable riders do it all the time. the landing is called overwrap
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-02-2017, 7:12 AM Reply   
I'll have to look at my photos but pretty sure Schwenne has been doing that for years. He does of tricks where he lands "ovcerwarpped" or whatever you call that craziness. I call it death for me.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-02-2017, 10:51 AM Reply   
It's common for a tow back 180, heel front three and bigger variations ( Toe back 5, hell back mobe, etc). I have never seen it done on a heel back 5.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-02-2017, 11:04 AM Reply   
I think it's a bit different than the toe back 1 and front 3 wraps, which you land on your heel edge and your arm wrapping up is around your back, as it's a landing where you land on your toe edge...I've seen lots of wraps on those on 3's and mobes...including the double mobe trick of the year. I don't remember seeing this variation, it's like you're putting on a seatbelt as your front arm goes across the front of your body to your back hip, but I would not be surprised at all if Schwenne does it.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       10-02-2017, 11:42 AM Reply   
Wrapped 5? Or heelside frontside wrapped 3 to blind? I'm sorry but I've been doing that since the very-late 90's. I set up for a wrapped 3. Actually thinking it through, this kid's trick is better/harder than what I do -- but what I do is close. I am left foot forward. Approach the wake with the rope wrapped along the heel edge. I approach the wake, unwind for a normal wrapped 3, but I pass the handle (is that the part that makes this trick a bigger deal than I am thinking?) because I can't land wrapped inward that direction. So I pass the handle from my right hand to my left as I'm coming down so that I can get in position to tuck it into my hip and land blind. Am I misunderstanding this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlite291 View Post
cable riders do it all the time. the landing is called overwrap
We call it wrapped-inward.
Greg Nelson used to do stuff like this all the time. We'd watch him and he was so sick-wid-it that it seemed like he'd spin however the hell he wanted to and would sort out passing the handle AFTER he'd land. Like, he would sort out what to do with the handle after sort of wrapping himself into/around his waist in various ways. On one hand I am sort of surprised that it's not a more common way for spinning to have evolved. Rathy does it sometimes. On the other hand it's so inherently dangerous that I am glad spinning doesn't rely on that mechanic very often. Again Rathy is the person who comes to mind that seems to include that kind of spinning mechanic into how he rides.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 10-02-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-02-2017, 12:02 PM Reply   
No idea what you're talking about. Did you watch the video?

Someone show some video of other people doing this. Right now I'm having trouble believing it.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       10-02-2017, 12:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
No idea what you're talking about. Did you watch the video?

Someone show some video of other people doing this. Right now I'm having trouble believing it.
You don't believe me? That's unfortunate. I've been around a minute and I think you have too. Maybe we're just talking past each other. Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying. The kid's trick is awesome, for sure. Not trying to take away from that. I only mentioned my own riding for reference. I grew up trick skiing, before taking up wake. The person I learned from could only wrap, he did no handlepass tricks. So until I learned stuff from other riders and videos, to me, spinning = wrapping. I didn't know any other way for a very long time so I did all sorts of variants. Including a variant of this. But not grabbed, not as high as this or as stylish. So. What I'm not doing here - is lying.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-02-2017, 12:45 PM Reply   
He's not saying you are lying, he's addressing everyone with the.... "someone show some video..." remark. He's telling *you* to watch the video because you say you do a 3 and the trick is a 5. I see a lot of crazy wrapped stuff at the cable. I'll have to pay more attention and see if anyone does a heel 5 without passing.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-02-2017, 4:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
You don't believe me? That's unfortunate. I've been around a minute and I think you have too. Maybe we're just talking past each other. Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying. The kid's trick is awesome, for sure. Not trying to take away from that. I only mentioned my own riding for reference. I grew up trick skiing, before taking up wake. The person I learned from could only wrap, he did no handlepass tricks. So until I learned stuff from other riders and videos, to me, spinning = wrapping. I didn't know any other way for a very long time so I did all sorts of variants. Including a variant of this. But not grabbed, not as high as this or as stylish. So. What I'm not doing here - is lying.
No disrespect bud. Like John said, I'm just trying to make sure we're all talking about the same thing. This is not landing cuffed / wrapped or blind. His front hand is reaching around the back of his body. I have been around and I know you have too. And I invite the opportunity for someone to prove me wrong.
Old     (hyperlite291)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-02-2017, 4:37 PM Reply   
yonel does back 5 overwrap into the wall at 1:30

Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-02-2017, 5:01 PM Reply   
Quote:

Nice, any boat vids?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-02-2017, 5:07 PM Reply   
That’s great for showing the mechanics but...

Holy hell, you can’t even compare that to doing one behind the boat. You know how much you have to advance on the handle for that?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-02-2017, 5:58 PM Reply   
Quote:

He passed the handle.
Old     (hyperlite291)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-02-2017, 7:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
He passed the handle.
ty wrapped from the beggining, but the landing was the same
Old     (hyperlite291)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-02-2017, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
That’s great for showing the mechanics but...

Holy hell, you can’t even compare that to doing one behind the boat. You know how much you have to advance on the handle for that?
I think that a back 5 landing in a bank like that would be much more challenging than doing one wake to wake, considering you have to keep your nose from dipping upon coming off the wall.

besides the point the landing is the same thing and thats what you guys wanted to see.

a lot of the cable rats have been doing it for a year or two now. The video of yonel is 6 months old.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-03-2017, 5:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
I think that a back 5 landing in a bank like that would be much more challenging than doing one wake to wake, considering you have to keep your nose from dipping upon coming off the wall.

besides the point the landing is the same thing and thats what you guys wanted to see.

a lot of the cable rats have been doing it for a year or two now. The video of yonel is 6 months old.
Do you ride boat very much?

I can say from both cable and boat riding that landing that in the banking is not as special as behind the boat. The mechanics of the wrap, while awkward,don’t really impact your ability to ride down an embankment any differently than being wrapped. You also see it all the time on cable because it’s so much easier to deal with line tension than on the boat.

You have to advance so far on the handle to that on the boat, it just doesn’t take as much to do that on the cable. That’s why I bet you can’t find another video of one behind the boat unless schweene does it or something...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-03-2017, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
He passed the handle.
Good lord that song is awful. Yes that is the landing. But it's not the same as what Ty did.
Old     (sean_obrien)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-04-2017, 10:22 AM Reply   
Ty's version is sick! However it is the second time I've seen someone land like that. Here's the first.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-04-2017, 10:27 AM Reply   
Awesome! Thank you SOB!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-04-2017, 1:38 PM Reply   
Wakeworld knowledge. ^^^ that's awesome. I liked Harley's comment --> harleycliffordMan! That would be so scary to try!!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2017, 8:02 AM Reply   
SOB- Good pull. Holy crap that looks scary - so many ways to get hung up or come up short. That is excellence.