Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-19-2014, 6:06 PM Reply   
Ok so I'm considering a 1998 Sanger v210 and a 2003 mc x10. The mc is significantly higher priced but I just wanted some input on wake comparison and surf wave. I can't find anything bad said about the Sanger v210 other than the low freeboard, and the x10 has much bigger free board, more room, but I've heard the wake isn't that good. I would ride behind them both but they are both more than a couple hours away from me. I ride on a relatively small lake and usually ride away from people and early in the morning so I'm not too concerned about takin rollers over the nose. I sold my 2000 dd supra launch that I would usually roll about 2000lbs of ballast in when wakeboarding and 3000lbs+ surfing. I know this will probably be impossible on the v210 but with less weight the v210 can produce a better(bigger more vertical) wake the the supra. I also usually ride with just two people. Input would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-19-2014, 8:53 PM Reply   
HI,

Dont know anything about the x10 but have a v210. Great boat which kicks out a killer wake with not much ballast.

I run 450 in each rear locker, 220 lbs of lead in the front and approximately 250/300 lbs under the floor (anyone who thinks they can run more up there i think is pushing it) and the wake is really sharp.

Better still, as the boat is light it doesnt use much gas at all. Freeboard not too bad if you arent using it in bigger lake or rough water, but i can imagine some people prefer bigger.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-19-2014, 9:19 PM Reply   
This is gonna be a good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-19-2014, 11:40 PM Reply   
V bottom on the Sanger which makes the surf wake easier to produce. Better rough water ride too. Of course, if you get the MC you get to say you own a Mastercraft...
The Sanger has wood stringers, which is one of the things that makes it more solid but in a '98 I'm not sure if they were non rotting as the newer ones are. It's just something to check on.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-20-2014, 5:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
Of course, if you get the MC you get to say you own a Mastercraft.
Typical WW comment. MC is a better made boat with a better reputation and will always have a higher resale value than a Sanger if you ever look to move into another boat. I have ridden an x10 and the wake with the proper weight is really good.

If you want good advice on the x10 you should check out teamtalk because WW will bash the MC and call you a rich prick if you buy one. The fact that the Sanger has wood stingers is enough to tell me to stay far away from that boat. Also if your hoping to get a one if the boats repaired you will find more MC dealers and a bigger network to find help along with more available parts.

Sometimes buying the cheapest boat isn't always the more economical long term. Just some food for thought.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-20-2014, 6:27 AM Reply   
I didn't want to start anything. I agree 100% the mc is nicer but I'm mainly concerned with wake. A more expensive boat does me no good if it can't throw a decent wake and wave. I would love to get into an early xstar or 205v but they seem to be like gold in my area
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-20-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Typical WW comment. MC is a better made boat with a better reputation and will always have a higher resale value than a Sanger if you ever look to move into another boat. I have ridden an x10 and the wake with the proper weight is really good.

If you want good advice on the x10 you should check out teamtalk because WW will bash the MC and call you a rich prick if you buy one. The fact that the Sanger has wood stingers is enough to tell me to stay far away from that boat. Also if your hoping to get a one if the boats repaired you will find more MC dealers and a bigger network to find help along with more available parts.

Sometimes buying the cheapest boat isn't always the more economical long term. Just some food for thought.
If the Sanger comment was typical wakeworld than what does that make yours? Typical think he is better than everybody else Mastercraft owner?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-20-2014, 6:47 AM Reply   
The Launch DD was a HUGE boat in its era. Still is a big deep boat for a 21. The Sanger is nowhere near as big. Its also older. Minus being a V drive most would agree you are taking a step backwards. Your talking a 21 foot boat with a 98" beam to a much shallower 20 footer with a 90 inch beam. Seems like a down grade to me. Plus now you are looking at a boat with wood floor and stringers when you sold a all composite/ no rot boat.

Don't get me wrong the V210 is a good boat, but really not an upgrade from your Launch. Other than you get the engine out of the middle.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-20-2014, 6:50 AM Reply   
I'm not to concerned about the wood stringers. I had a Sanger fx22 and replaced the entire floor because it was rotted into pieces. But the stringers were rock solid and had very thick fiberglass over it. But I just wanted to make sure I wasn't taking a step backwards. That's what I needed to know... Thanks.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       03-20-2014, 6:57 AM Reply   
James I sent a guy a pm about your question, hopefully he will chime in he is knowledgeable about the MC wake.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-20-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
advantages of the v210 over the X10:

Smaller and lighter-more efficient
Doesn't take much ballast-more efficient and all ballast hidden
Excellent wakeboard wake
handling
rough water ride
Correctly implemented wood stringers provide a better ride/feel(their usage of wood isn't like all the other brands in the 80's that cut corners and used crappy wood that rotted.)

Advantages of the X10 over the V210
-bigger and deeper
-More storage
-Fancier(not necessarily built better but it is fancier or more luxurious)
-Doesn't use wood so there isn't the chance at rot.
-Newer

Personally I think the resale argument is complete and total nonsense. When people say that do they even understand what it means or why it would affect a buying decision? First off, in this case the Mastercraft will pretty much always be worth more than the V210 when selling. But guess what, it also cost significantly more. Unless you have a really weird model or brand. With a v210 of that era you should be able to get for 15-20k. I would bet you could own for 5 years and if kept in decent shape you could get 15k+ for it. Will the Mastercraft only drop a few K in 5 years? How good of a deal when you purchase also plays a huge role in resale. Like I said, a blanket statement like resale on the Mastercraft will be better is just ridiculous.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-20-2014, 7:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post

Excellent wakeboard wake
handling
rough water ride
Correctly implemented wood stringers provide a better ride/feel(their usage of wood isn't like all the other brands in the 80's that cut corners and used crappy wood that rotted.)

-bigger and deeper
-More storage
-Newer

Personally I think the resale argument is complete and total nonsense. When people say that do they even understand what it means or why it would affect a buying decision? First off, in this case the Mastercraft will pretty much always be worth more than the V210 when selling. But guess what, it also cost significantly more. Unless you have a really weird model or brand. With a v210 of that era you should be able to get for 15-20k. I would bet you could own for 5 years and if kept in decent shape you could get 15k+ for it. Will the Mastercraft only drop a few K in 5 years? How good of a deal when you purchase also plays a huge role in resale. Like I said, a blanket statement like resale on the Mastercraft will be better is just ridiculous.
I tend to disagree with those staements about resale. I will state that I have never been in, nor even seen a Sanger here in the South. Sanger is primarily a West coast boat and that will make the resale appeal to a lot smaller market that is my logic behind my statement. MC is found all over the US along with international and that is a fact. It will be a lot easier to sell as your appealing to a bigger market which I why I say it has a better resale. I have nothing bad to say about Sanger because I have never seen one or been on the inside of one besides the pictures that are posted here. All I know is that they ride lower to the water, hence the slumpin Sanger thread

With the way boat prices are going, the older boats that were built from one of the big 3 boat companies will not lose much in value over there years. I previously had a Malibu VLX that we paid 45K for it in 2005 and when we sold it in 2012 we sold it for 44K with 450 hrs and I had people calling me from all over with alot from Australia.

As far as rough water ride goes, a boat with a lower freeboard is going to take water over the front anytime that you came off of plane and wouldn’t be very safe in conditions that are 1-3' chop but what do I know about boats...

Looking forward to how yall bash these statements.....
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-20-2014, 7:47 AM Reply   
Here's the deals Sanger v210 had tower and in excellent shape 350 hours no perfect pass and no plumbed in ballast, 11k or a 2003 mc x10 with pp factory ballast, (3 tanks I believe) and in good shape but basically needs half or all of the upholstery done. It is 18k. Both have towers and yada yada. I have yet to find anyone online with a 90s-present Sanger that needed new stringers... Also if I got the Sanger I would have to add perfect pass and ballast.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-20-2014, 7:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNRDSKYNRD View Post
James I sent a guy a pm about your question, hopefully he will chime in he is knowledgeable about the MC wake.

Thanks so much! It's hard to find good input on this boat because back in 2003 everyone thought it was a great wake because it was new and I'm just curious what's changed since then.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-20-2014, 9:29 AM Reply   
Sanger sure whips mc when it comes to barefoot boats. MC is not even used in competition. Sanger is worldwide. Sanger never has wanted to be any bigger than they are. Family owned since 1954.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-20-2014, 9:35 AM Reply   
Has anyone with a Sanger ever had an issue because of "low freeboard"?...that's a non issue.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-20-2014, 9:46 AM Reply   
How can sanger be world wide when i have literally never seen one in Texas? Were talking wakeboard boats here, not bare footing.

How can low freeboard not be an issue? coming off plane with a lot of ballast can sure make a low freeboard boat interesting to stop, or take rollers when stopped.

Resale and no wood would make this one a no brainer, and the MC seems to be underpriced.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-20-2014, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
I tend to disagree with those staements about resale. I will state that I have never been in, nor even seen a Sanger here in the South. Sanger is primarily a West coast boat and that will make the resale appeal to a lot smaller market that is my logic behind my statement. MC is found all over the US along with international and that is a fact. It will be a lot easier to sell as your appealing to a bigger market which I why I say it has a better resale. I have nothing bad to say about Sanger because I have never seen one or been on the inside of one besides the pictures that are posted here. All I know is that they ride lower to the water, hence the slumpin Sanger thread

With the way boat prices are going, the older boats that were built from one of the big 3 boat companies will not lose much in value over there years. I previously had a Malibu VLX that we paid 45K for it in 2005 and when we sold it in 2012 we sold it for 44K with 450 hrs and I had people calling me from all over with alot from Australia.

As far as rough water ride goes, a boat with a lower freeboard is going to take water over the front anytime that you came off of plane and wouldn’t be very safe in conditions that are 1-3' chop but what do I know about boats...

Looking forward to how yall bash these statements.....
Resale-Even in the south the resale of a used Sanger is likely to be no worse than any other brand since when you buy it, assuming buying from the east coast, you would be getting for a serious discount to start. Now I could see resale being poor on a boat if they purchases a west coast boat from the west coast and then tried to sell it down the road on the east coast.

With the prices he posted he shouldn't worry about resale. Both are excellent buys at the prices he mentioned.

The Sanger V210 rides nose high when there isn't weight in it. No worries about water over the bow unless you have it slammed but then again almost all boats are sketch with a bunch of weight.

I am not surprised the interior of the X10 is shot. Mastercraft's from that era are well known for having interior issues. That so called better boat has a worse interior than what you called the inferior Sanger.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-20-2014, 10:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricsx15 View Post
How can sanger be world wide when i have literally never seen one in Texas? Were talking wakeboard boats here, not bare footing.

How can low freeboard not be an issue? coming off plane with a lot of ballast can sure make a low freeboard boat interesting to stop, or take rollers when stopped.

Resale and no wood would make this one a no brainer, and the MC seems to be underpriced.
You and the other Mastercraft homer are just throwing out blanket statements without knowing the sanger outside of it has wood and low freeboard.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-20-2014, 10:24 AM Reply   
Youre throwing out blanket statements out mc owners. Great argument... lol
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-20-2014, 10:57 AM Reply   
What blanket statements would that be? That you are MAstercraft homers? You both own Mastercrafts don't you? Neither of you seem to have any actual knowledge of Sangers.

Back on topic.

I would have a tough time choosing between the 2 boats at the prices you mentioned.

Would you rather have a well built, efficient, great handling, proven wake boat or a well built, top 3, bigger boat that would probably be a better party/hanging out on boat and still provide solid wake ability.

honestly I don't think either is knows as a good surf boat. The X10 has the freeboard but lacks in hull design for surfing. The Sanger has the hull design but lacks the freeboard to really weight enough for surfing.

Maybe you could buy the Sanger, add the exact ballast setup you want, the current GPS PP and add a home designed surf system to all for less than the X10(before you spend 3 grand on replacing the vinyl).
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-20-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
No Sangers in TX? LOL! Literally..hahaha
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-20-2014, 11:53 AM Reply   
It looks like wake quality is important to you. I'm the same way. I really don't feel the need the pay all the money for all the nice new gizmos and gadgets. I have a 2000 SAN with a 3 bag jabsco ballast system and PP. To me the boat is perfect because I don't like to ride with a big crew. 4-6 max.

If it were up to me, I would go with the V210. Add PP and ballast system. Be into it under $15k and get riding. You will be able to get $15k or more out of it a couple years from now when new boats are up to $150k average.

V210 is a solid boat with a proven wakeboard wake with little plumbed ballast.
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-20-2014, 12:16 PM Reply   
"How can sanger be world wide when i have literally never seen one in Texas? Were talking wakeboard boats here, not bare footing."

Easy we in New Zealand are pretty much as far away as you can get and they are over here! Sounds like you good ole boyz are missing out on a good thing BTW we wakeboard over here as well.
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-20-2014, 12:27 PM Reply   
I can't tell you much about the Mastercraft X10, other than it was an adaptation of their Maristar V210 Family Cruiser and not originally designed as a wakeboard boat. I don't believe it even has tracking fins underneath it.

I can tell you quite a bit more about Sanger V210 as having owned one for the past 3 years and recently sold one in the Midwest to upgrade to the Sanger V215.

Pros of the V210:
-Best bang for buck in the low priced vdrive world...I don't know of another boat that you can find as much for as little without going direct drive.
-Great rough water ride, a very dry boat in chop due to the deep v hull and wood stringer system very solid.
-Drives like a direct drive. Very nimble, not a barge like many vdrives are now.
-Even unweighted the wakeboard wake has a great transition, and its narrow so wake to wake is super easy.
-Large cockpit area for a boat this size, the helm is pushed forward so it has the rear seating capacity of a bigger boat (much larger than the above mentioned 205V or X-1)
-Very fuel efficient for a wakeboard boat
-Will do all sports fairly well...skis pretty good at 32mph, and is still surfable

Cons:
-When backing off the throttle to come back down off plane you have to be careful of your chase wave as it will smack the back of the boat and come up into the blower vent panel which for some goofy reason is below the rub rail this will cause issues with blower malfunction and steering cable rusting.
-The rear of the boat is very low and the sundeck pad corners get wet when not even weighted, so water will get into the storage lockers.
-Surf wake is so, so. Not very big as could be expected from such a shallow boat.
-If it has the Mag 350 the rear sundeck has a big hump in it.
-Back height of the seats in the wrap around area are not very high, lower back height so not all that comfortable.

I ended up upgrading to the V215 as I liked the depth of cockpit and the fact that it will have a better surf wake.

For reference, I had no problem selling the V210 in the Midwest and they are not very well known here. The price point you are looking at if its in good condition you will be competing against others selling direct drives and the vdrive just makes so much more sense. Also, I received a lot of feedback from potential buyers that they searched Sanger online and found a lot of good reviews despite being not well known.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-20-2014, 12:37 PM Reply   
"good ole boyz" haha. Love that stereotype.

Saw the dealer sales in texas for last month. There was one sanger sold and titled in north texas in ALL of last year. Don't think were missing out on wood stringers and low freeboard boats down here The "big three" argument vs a small boat builder argument is always interesting on here. The big three boat owners always get bashed for spending the money, while the smaller boat builder is ALWAYS the better boat.

Also there is a sanger owner on here that insists that MC is put together with pop rivets, so I think your statement goes both ways!!! Mastercraft homer.. lol. how old are you?
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-20-2014, 1:45 PM Reply   
No worries but seriously I'm actually a MC service agent and I do agree the "big 3" are the ones that are helping to advance the sport but don't discount the little fellas as some of them do some really cool things as well. If you want to go into advancements look at the G3 everyone has been raving about and you will find a some of the ideas came from the EPIC amongst other manufactures that view a problems from a slightly different perspective and theres nothing wrong with that as they have made an awesome boat that works extremely well. BTW if you want to see something out as far as advancement from the little guys do a search on Britten motorcycle from the 90's on youtube (just talking about them last night with a mate)

As someone else said nothing wrong with wooden stringers when boat manufactured properly and the 210 is very good bang for buck as the Sanger build quality is prob one of the best i.e. what they do they do well.

BTW reason Sanger are in the barefoot market is they sponsor the comp, just like Centurion with the Surf and MC/Nautique with the wake/ski comps
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-20-2014, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
What blanket statements would that be? That you are MAstercraft homers? You both own Mastercrafts don't you? Neither of you seem to have any actual knowledge of Sangers.

Back on topic.

I would have a tough time choosing between the 2 boats at the prices you mentioned.

Would you rather have a well built, efficient, great handling, proven wake boat or a well built, top 3, bigger boat that would probably be a better party/hanging out on boat and still provide solid wake ability.

honestly I don't think either is knows as a good surf boat. The X10 has the freeboard but lacks in hull design for surfing. The Sanger has the hull design but lacks the freeboard to really weight enough for surfing.

Maybe you could buy the Sanger, add the exact ballast setup you want, the current GPS PP and add a home designed surf system to all for less than the X10(before you spend 3 grand on replacing the vinyl).
You contradict your own statement. You don't own an MC so what makes you any different from what I say about Sangers? Yes I own a MC and yes Im a MC homer and proud of it. I use my X45 to wakeboard, surf and hang out at the beach. Isn't that what you do when you go boating?

I use my X45 in salt water coastal conditions and bought it because they offer the best Salt water series boat out of any boat company. I have owned two Malibu's and think they are right up there with MC and would have bought another one but didn't like what they offered for there salt water series boat and more specifically closed cooling engine.

I drive my boat in rough conditions and I did so with my Malibu which is part of the reason that got rid of boat was due to the rough water ride and low freeboard. If you know anything about rough conditions you don't want a low freeboard boat as when you come off plane in 2-4 ft chop it will bring water over the front. But what do I know about boats Im a MC homer. The OP should listen to people that use there ski boats on small lakes the get a little rough in the afternoon.

WW really is going downhill quick and it funny to see how much bashing MC gets here. I find it comical . Most on here make blanket statements about MC because they don't own one but that is totally okay because its a MC
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-20-2014, 1:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibouys View Post
I can't tell you much about the Mastercraft X10, other than it was an adaptation of their Maristar V210 Family Cruiser and not originally designed as a wakeboard boat. I don't believe it even has tracking fins underneath it.

I can tell you quite a bit more about Sanger V210 as having owned one for the past 3 years and recently sold one in the Midwest to upgrade to the Sanger V215.

Pros of the V210:
-Best bang for buck in the low priced vdrive world...I don't know of another boat that you can find as much for as little without going direct drive.
-Great rough water ride, a very dry boat in chop due to the deep v hull and wood stringer system very solid.
-Drives like a direct drive. Very nimble, not a barge like many vdrives are now.
-Even unweighted the wakeboard wake has a great transition, and its narrow so wake to wake is super easy.
-Large cockpit area for a boat this size, the helm is pushed forward so it has the rear seating capacity of a bigger boat (much larger than the above mentioned 205V or X-1)
-Very fuel efficient for a wakeboard boat
-Will do all sports fairly well...skis pretty good at 32mph, and is still surfable

Cons:
-When backing off the throttle to come back down off plane you have to be careful of your chase wave as it will smack the back of the boat and come up into the blower vent panel which for some goofy reason is below the rub rail this will cause issues with blower malfunction and steering cable rusting.
-The rear of the boat is very low and the sundeck pad corners get wet when not even weighted, so water will get into the storage lockers.
-Surf wake is so, so. Not very big as could be expected from such a shallow boat.
-If it has the Mag 350 the rear sundeck has a big hump in it.
-Back height of the seats in the wrap around area are not very high, lower back height so not all that comfortable.

I ended up upgrading to the V215 as I liked the depth of cockpit and the fact that it will have a better surf wake.

For reference, I had no problem selling the V210 in the Midwest and they are not very well known here. The price point you are looking at if its in good condition you will be competing against others selling direct drives and the vdrive just makes so much more sense. Also, I received a lot of feedback from potential buyers that they searched Sanger online and found a lot of good reviews despite being not well known.
Have you had a chance to ski your V215? If so, is it better than the V210? At some point I am going to upgrade my '87 Sanger to one of these two boats and I still like to ski.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-20-2014, 2:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Sanger sure whips mc when it comes to barefoot boats. MC is not even used in competition. Sanger is worldwide. Sanger never has wanted to be any bigger than they are. Family owned since 1954.
With this statement, it would prove that MC wakeboard wake would be the best because MC sponsors the Pro wake tour . Sanger in not world wide it is on west coast and maybe in the Midwest but not in the south and not worldwide. If the market allowed Sanger would want to get bigger because im sure the owners would love to make more money
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-20-2014, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
You contradict your own statement. You don't own an MC so what makes you any different from what I say about Sangers? Yes I own a MC and yes Im a MC homer and proud of it. I use my X45 to wakeboard, surf and hang out at the beach. Isn't that what you do when you go boating?

I use my X45 in salt water coastal conditions and bought it because they offer the best Salt water series boat out of any boat company. I have owned two Malibu's and think they are right up there with MC and would have bought another one but didn't like what they offered for there salt water series boat and more specifically closed cooling engine.

I drive my boat in rough conditions and I did so with my Malibu which is part of the reason that got rid of boat was due to the rough water ride and low freeboard. If you know anything about rough conditions you don't want a low freeboard boat as when you come off plane in 2-4 ft chop it will bring water over the front. But what do I know about boats Im a MC homer. The OP should listen to people that use there ski boats on small lakes the get a little rough in the afternoon.

WW really is going downhill quick and it funny to see how much bashing MC gets here. I find it comical . Most on here make blanket statements about MC because they don't own one but that is totally okay because its a MC
I don't own either boat. I have owned a calabria, old nautique and Mobius V. My father has had 3 different Mastercrafts from 79-84. I grew up a hardcore MC homer myself. I sold Mastercraft and Centurion for in 2007. I literally have zero affiliation with either boat manufacturer.

Go back to completely dismissing a quality boat that you literally know nothing about.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-20-2014, 2:45 PM Reply   
I found this thread from previously.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794342

This is what an X10 had to say about the boat.

"given the price, go for it. sold my 2001 x10 last summer. my experience is the boat isn't great in rough water, it really tosses anyone in the bow up and down banging elbows, etc. really had to slow down the boat at big lakes. as for the wake, it was average. i added 400lb sacs in the rear lockers, a 750lb bow sac, while keeping all the factory ballast. had to change the prop to get on plane. bottom line, the hull was made for skiing. not trying to bash your new boat, but wanted to be honest. hopefully you find the right setup to produce a great wake. fyi - sold mine with 500 hours in the high $20;s, so you are getting a great price."

Not exactly favorable in the rough water ride or wake. I am pretty sure those things drove like pigs as well. No tracking fins. I can't imagine what it drives like with an extra 2000 pounds in it.
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-21-2014, 7:12 AM Reply   
I haven't had the chance to ski it yet. Just picked it up in October and only put half an hour on it. I am expecting it to be a bit poorer in skiing just due to the fact its wider and 400lbs heavier. Neither of my boats have had the adjustable Bennett Trim Tab on them, but have heard from others that you can butter the wake some for skiing with it on either of the boats. I hope it skis well otherwise the wife will be po'd.
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-21-2014, 7:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
With this statement, it would prove that MC wakeboard wake would be the best because MC sponsors the Pro wake tour . Sanger in not world wide it is on west coast and maybe in the Midwest but not in the south and not worldwide. If the market allowed Sanger would want to get bigger because im sure the owners would love to make more money
They are slowly making a push East. They hired on a regional rep in the Midwest this past year and have established dealerships up during that time. Definitely a word of mouth boat and it will take some time for them to push out East and gain any impact. Its my understanding that they are setup to do about 300 boats a year right now so you won't see them saturate the market like the big boys do...not sure that's their desire either.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-21-2014, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibouys View Post
I haven't had the chance to ski it yet. Just picked it up in October and only put half an hour on it. I am expecting it to be a bit poorer in skiing just due to the fact its wider and 400lbs heavier. Neither of my boats have had the adjustable Bennett Trim Tab on them, but have heard from others that you can butter the wake some for skiing with it on either of the boats. I hope it skis well otherwise the wife will be po'd.
I've heard the 215 might be just as good because of the wider beam at 32mph provides more surface area, therefore, getting the boat on top of the water a little more. However, the extra 400lbs will probably cancel this out. Who knows, that's just what I've heard.

OP- don't want to hyjack your thread so here's my two cents... my friend has a 2005 X-30. It's two feet longer than the X-10 but I believe the hulls are very similar. His X-30 does not have tracking fins either. The X-30 drives like a pig unloaded and it only gets worse loaded. The wakeboard wake isn't that great and tends to roll over. The surf wake is average at best and takes a lot of weight to get average.The rough water ride is pretty bad as the stern is flat like a ski boat. I assume the X-10 stern is the same.

I have a '87 Sanger and as many have mentioned it handles the rough water well. Quite a bit better than my friend's X-30 and it's 2 feet shorter and low profile. The wakeboard wake is good for an old ski boat. I like it better than the X-30 wake because it has better shape. It's not bigger though. The V210 wakeboard wake will definitely be better.

Is the '98 V210 you're looking at a carb motor or does it have the Black Scorpion? I assume the X-10 is fuel injected.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-21-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
Maybe I should keep looking and find a SAN 210 and raise my budget a little. I think we can all agree that it had arguably the best wake of this time period. Also just because I have owned a Sanger I am not biased towards them, they really are great boats. I may even work at a mc dealership this summer and of coarse they make great boats also. The more I research the more I keep finding that the SAN nautique 210 would be the best fit for me. I usually only ride with two people so space is not an issue. Wake a surfability are my main concerns. If I got the Sanger I would have to drop atleast a couple grand to get it to my likings and be about 15k in it. Wouldn't I be better to just spend 5-7k more and get a SAN that is already fully loaded with all that? At this point the mc is out of the question just for wake ability. And yes I understand it looks better, and is worth more.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-21-2014, 7:40 AM Reply   
Also it has a 351 mercruiser motor in it. So I'm assuming it's a carb motor?
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-21-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
The V210 has the 351 Mercruiser? I thought it was the carb 350 or the EFI Black Scorpion back in '98. If it doesn't have the Black Scorpion, most likely it is a carb motor. I don't think they started installing the EFI MAG 350 until later.

If you are really concerned about the surf wake, the SAN is not that great in that category. It's a short wave.
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-21-2014, 7:57 AM Reply   
I hate to tell you to wait, but I would ride behind the boat, then drive the boat. The boat can be awesome on paper, but if you never like the wake or being in the boat, then you will never be happy.

I like the X10, I think it has a decent mix of surf and wake. The boat is very easy to drive, and its easy to drive all day in it. The boat is easy to add weight to, so able to give you more ramp, or less ramp, more lip, less lip. I think its a versitle boat.

I havent been in any of the other boats in the last 5 years so I cannot comment on them. But again, ride behind them and see if you like it. Its the best thing you can do. Even though its very hard to wait.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-21-2014, 10:09 AM Reply   
Seems like two very different boats to compare. I don't know anything about the X10 but I know the V210 inside out and it is a great boat. Wakeboard wake is great as most people agree but the surf wake us probably better than you would expect. I don't know any V210 owners who are disappointed with their boats.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-21-2014, 8:38 PM Reply   
Quote:

Excellent wakeboard wake
handling
rough water ride

-bigger and deeper
-More storage
-Newer

This post is spot on IMHO.

I own a 2000 V210 but also love some MC boats. The 205's are awesome and I love me some slammed X-Stars.

The V-210 has been up at the top for best bang for the buck for years but if your looking for a surf wake I'd move on. I can get a ok surf wake but I wouldn't let anyone else drive it like that.
If your talking wakeboard wake you can't go wrong. The V210 is still the best handling wake boat that I've ever driven weighted or un-weighted. As far as the wood stringers go don't think twice about it unless your one of those guys that neglects your boat and lets it fill up with rain water and doesn't drain it for a month. The ride in a V210 is great because of the wood stringers.

I can't comment on the X-10 other than I think MC makes a nice boat.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find the right boat for you.