Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (StarLake)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-12-2013, 9:58 AM Reply   
Trying to find a solid boat that can fit in our 4000 lbs lift.

Id say 65% wakeskating 25% wakesurfing and 10% cruising

Needs to be able to fit 5 people comfortably plus friends

Mostly concerned with good wakeskate wake, able to sack it out

Looking mostly at MasterCraft x1, x2, x15- maybe a malibu or supra also

Just wondering what opinions about the wakeskate wake and also surf waves

Thanks
Old     (StarLake)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-12-2013, 10:00 AM Reply   
We currently have a maristar 210 LT6 engine with 1100 lbs of sacks in it and sky pole, surf wave is not very good, but wake is super thick and rampy
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-12-2013, 10:11 AM Reply   
I'd say you are on the right track. You might as well add the 06 and older SAN to your list. Not sure of the weight but it in the same league as the MC 205v.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-12-2013, 10:12 AM Reply   
Or maybe the axis a20? From what I've heard problem the best surf wave of that bunch.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-12-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
What's the beam on the lift? You'll need to know that when searching boats
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-12-2013, 10:14 AM Reply   
Both axis boats weight under #4000.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
What's the budget? And what is a 'good wakeskate wake'? Is there something different you look for vs a wakeboarding wake?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-12-2013, 10:42 AM Reply   
i almost popped on this

http://wakeboardingmag.com/boats/200...oats-x-2-2008/

2008 x2 3500 dry weight...

i was in same situation i had a 4000lb capacity lift and i kept going back and forth about fitting boat to lift or not.

i ended up having a bit of stress last summer. sold my 2006 larson senza 186, sold my 4000 lb boat lift, bought 5000 lb boat lift, boat 2008 nautique 210

when i got the 5000 lb lift home and say how much beefier it was compared to the 4000 lb capacity i knew i had done the right thing regardless of the boat i put on it.

So i ended up getting below: With gear gas etc I felt it would be overload on 4000 lb lift

http://wakeboardingmag.com/boats/200...-air-210-2008/

Last edited by scottb7; 01-12-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-12-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
I would go with a 2006-2008 VLX or a 2006-current X15. Looks like both have a dry weight of 3600#'s. With some gear and fuel you would be right around 4k.

A newer SAN 210 would be another boat although it's dry weight appears to be 3800#'s which doesnt' leave much extra room for gear and fuel.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-12-2013, 3:43 PM Reply   
Sanger V215 is 3200# so with gear and fuel it's still under 4k. No question that it has a great wake for boarding or surfing.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-13-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
Sanger V215 is 3200# so with gear and fuel it's still under 4k. No question that it has a great wake for boarding or surfing.
Good call. good rough water ride, good interior space, good wakeboard wake, good surf wake, etc... The V215 might be one of the best ever combo surf/wake board boats.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-13-2013, 8:00 AM Reply   
The rzr/r20 is dieter humpsch boat of choice and is 3500lbs , throws a solid wake for a 20 footer and a great surf wake with very little weight. Not sure what makes a good wake skate wake but it sends me to the moon. Good cruiser too, solid in rough water* with high freeboard and great sound system from the factory as well, very comfortable boat with a cab forward type design I'd compare cabin space to the gen 2 xstar but about a foot narrower
Other than that I'd say a 210. It's a byerly edition for a reason...

*still a 20 foot boat

Last edited by simplej; 01-13-2013 at 8:08 AM.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-13-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
The rzr/r20 is dieter humpsch boat of choice and is 3500lbs , throws a solid wake for a 20 footer and a great surf wake with very little weight. Not sure what makes a good wake skate wake but it sends me to the moon. Good cruiser too, solid in rough water* with high freeboard and great sound system from the factory as well, very comfortable boat with a cab forward type design I'd compare cabin space to the gen 2 xstar but about a foot narrower
Other than that I'd say a 210. It's a byerly edition for a reason...

*still a 20 foot boat
Does Tige need salespeople considering Wakeworld exists?

Very passionate group of owners...

Back to original topic, if you want to fit 5 people AND friends, the X1 is going to be cramped. Most of these boats will get the job done wake-wise, my recommendation is to look at all the brands you can. After seeing so many towboats back to back at the Chicago show twice this week, it definitely becomes easier to choose a brand.

One other (and possibly most important) thing to consider, what dealer are you closest to? What dealer near you gives you the highest comfort level? Chasing the perfect wake, nicest fit & finish, and best looks can be secondary if you have to work with a terrible dealer for service and warranty claims.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-13-2013, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post

Back to original topic, if you want to fit 5 people AND friends, the X1 is going to be cramped. Most of these boats will get the job done wake-wise, my recommendation is to look at all the brands you can. After seeing so many towboats back to back at the Chicago show twice this week, it definitely becomes easier to choose a brand.

One other (and possibly most important) thing to consider, what dealer are you closest to? What dealer near you gives you the highest comfort level? Chasing the perfect wake, nicest fit & finish, and best looks can be secondary if you have to work with a terrible dealer for service and warranty claims.
There you have it.The only Wakeworld poster who knows it all has spoken.No need for anyone else to post.He's a top notch wake skater too! So he knows!!!!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-13-2013, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:

Nope! Tige doesn't make sales they make customers
I do love my boat but have had mediocre experiences with pre 2009 models.

X1 will also not return the surf wake. I would put a gen 2 210 as number 1 on my list if buying used. If new you have several other good choices that fit the bill
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-13-2013, 2:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
There you have it.The only Wakeworld poster who knows it all has spoken.No need for anyone else to post.He's a top notch wake skater too! So he knows!!!!
Huh, I thought my post was fairly helpful, apparently you couldn't get past my Tige comment.

Thanks for proving that point though...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-13-2013, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Huh, I thought my post was fairly helpful, apparently you couldn't get past my Tige comment.

Thanks for proving that point though...
There he confirmed my statement " I thought my post was fairly helpful" with the emphasis on the "I"
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-13-2013, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
There he confirmed my statement " I thought my post was fairly helpful" with the emphasis on the "I"
My comments about the X1 being small and dealership location/service are important to most boat buyers that consider more than whether or not "Tige" is the logo on the side of the hull. I am sorry you feel differently.

If you have a personal problem with me, lets hash it out over personal messages. I refuse to contribute to your destruction of yet another thread.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-13-2013, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Where do you get off?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-13-2013, 3:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Where do you get off?
I don't ride the Short Bus with Mattie. I drive my own truck to school.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       01-14-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
I didn't know Dieter Humsch was a pro wakeskater. I thought you were blowing smoke ahah. I'm sure its all personal preference but if I were wakeskating, I would want a rampier mellow wake, a wake like the old 210 would be too abrupt of a transition for consistent pop for wake tricks...

If you were in the market for new, I'd check out the MXZ20... I like the looks of that boat
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-14-2013, 2:59 PM Reply   
If he's a team pro that only means he got a boat for a season as part of his pay for being a sponsored pro or that boat company.No different than boats pulling tournys.,the boat co. pays to sponsor and have their boats pull the contests.Riders have a contract to be an employee for the boat company,more about making a living than their personal preference.Besides 90% or more of the pros can shred behind any boat,just check out old videos of Scott Byerly riding in the early/mid 90's behind a tourny slalom ski boat without a extended pole or tower.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-14-2013, 3:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for the education...

Point is that the boat humpsch and byerly choose from the tige/nautiques line of boats is telling because they're wake skaters. They would choose the best wake skate wake of their respective lines of their sponsorships. Byerly could have a g and humpsch could have a z3 but there's a reason they don't... Palm meet forehead
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-14-2013, 3:22 PM Reply   
I'm sure he was offered a contract from Nautique and turned it down cause he wanted a tige.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-14-2013, 3:29 PM Reply   
I always laugh when the maturity level of the 50+ crowd is lower than the 20 something's offering contributions to the thread
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-14-2013, 3:46 PM Reply   
He's not listed as a team member,so he may have chosen this boat,if that's the case then it's a valid claim.Just saying that just because some pro is getting paid to ride for a boat company doesn't necessarily mean it's their favorite ride.This sport just isn't big enough for them to be that picky.And buying something that costs $30-80K just because a pro rides behind it is just stupid.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-14-2013, 7:49 PM Reply   
He is In fact on the team unless he got dropped. Byerly and BT are on team nautique. It doesn't mean it's his favorite ride in the industry. I never said that. The OP asked for a wake skate boat. A majority of us wakeboard and don't know what makes a good wake skate wake. I know the tige, nautique, and Malstercraft lines. I don't wake skate so I recommended what I know, the rzr/r20 and 210. Since I don't wake skate i don't know what makes a good wake skate wake I applied a little logic. I take it there is a reason humpsch chooses an rzr over a z3 like the wakeboarders and byerly and BT choose a 210 over the g23. Hence the reason pro wake skaters were cited in my observation, which I explained In my above post.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-16-2013, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
What's the budget? And what is a 'good wakeskate wake'? Is there something different you look for vs a wakeboarding wake?
^this OP you out there?
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-16-2013, 8:10 PM Reply   
This oughtta do the job for $12K http://sanantonio-tx.boatsandstuff.c..._17923601.html
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-23-2013, 2:04 PM Reply   
moomba LSV has always been in the 3600-3800 range
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-23-2013, 4:27 PM Reply   
$12k for 2005 with 70 hours...i agree it would be awesome...but maybe not a real ad...
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-24-2013, 7:03 AM Reply   
I can only assume the weight limit issue is due to a towing or lift situation- no I didn't read through all of the posts- so maybe I am off. Either way, unless you're looking for a 20 foot v drive, you're NOT gonna find something that will make that limit, with gas, gear, tower/speakers/lights, etc. Remember, most if not all of these boats are hand-laid glass- the weight varies sometimes as much as 200 lbs, and the manufacturers many times ( especially the older boats) weighed them without the towers and accessories. My boat 21V tige ( 2001) was said to weight 4050 in the original brochure. Well, I have had it on the scales with a full load of gas, boards, gear, etc and the weight was right at 6,200 with the trailer ( an extreme- which I have also weighed and it came in at 1,250) leaving the boat loaded close to 5K. I figure the tower weights 250lbs, 40 gallons of gas another 240 pounds boards, gear, misc junk ( including a barefoot boom which weighs about 40 pounds) another 150 all in- making the boat weight somewhere around 4200 dry. If it's a lift issue- i'd upgrade your lift or look for something around 3200 published weight. my .02 - and that's about what it's worth....
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-24-2013, 5:23 PM Reply   
If money isn't a problem, new X-10 should come in under 4000#. Seems like a great do-it-all boat.

BTW, the Mastercraft site shows the X-10 weight at 4400# but that's retarded. It also shows the 2013 X-2 weighs 4300# but the 2012 X-2 was 3500#?? It's the same boat. They must have changed to showing the weight fully loaded with fuel and balast or something.
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-26-2013, 3:50 AM Reply   
I own Mastercrafts and love them but what about the SAN210 for this case? I have noticed that a good bit of wakeskaters flock whenever the byerly edition rolls out. Im pretty sure its one of the best ramps for skating.