Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

View Poll Results: Do you think an automatic drain plug could be useful?
Yes 3 15.79%
No 16 84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old     (Hinnemar000)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-13-2016, 10:03 AM Reply   
https://docs.google.com/a/usd232.org...2G1XnHeR4/edit

Do you think there is a better solution to the drain plug than the known way??? Take the survey above.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-13-2016, 11:47 AM Reply   
This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and it will create other problems. I don't trust cheap plastic parts in critical applications, nor do I trust a single o-ring for a drain plug. That plug design will get clogged up with junk eventually and not close, or bilge gunk will wear the plastic and oring resulting in sloppy fit and leaks after some time. When it breaks or wears out, I'd be looking at at least 24 hours to get back on the water to set a new garboard drain which only costs a few bucks and just plain works.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-13-2016, 12:14 PM Reply   
Also, I don't see how your design is automatic. It's a manual switch using a cable to open/close.

https://youtu.be/qS14C_s-JO8

There are some better mousetraps already which are cheaper and IMO superior.

Captive plug:

Check valve/safety:

Last edited by cadunkle; 10-13-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-13-2016, 12:35 PM Reply   
I think it looks cool but I'd feel much more comfortable if it wasn't plastic. Also I marked that I did forget the drain plug, because I did, but only once on like my 2nd time out owning the boat. We made a lot of mistakes during our first season (~2003 maybe?) but I never forgot the plug after that first time.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-13-2016, 12:36 PM Reply   
On my old MB DD the ballast ports on the back of the boat had the same hardware as everyone's drain plug. I just installed metal ball valves. This allowed me to just open these instead of getting out my wrench every time to drain at the end of the day or get the last bit of water out. If it ever failed it would just fill up my ballast so it wasn't an issue. Probably wouldn't want to do that for your main drain plug but would still be a better solution then OP's option.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-13-2016, 5:07 PM Reply   
I have an automatic bilge so no practical need for an auto drain plug. My threaded brass plug is simple and works for whatever the bilge doesn't get. Auto drain would also get in the way of my oil drain hose that goes out through the drain plug hole.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-13-2016, 5:48 PM Reply   
My v215 came with a captive plug. Love it. Metal, simple, and won't forget it anywhere.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       10-14-2016, 8:13 AM Reply   
My last boat used a square head plug that needed a wrench. I drilled a hole through it and pressed in a brass rod that stuck out about 0.75-1" on each side so I could install and remove it by hand.

As for the automatic plug, "Do I think it COULD be useful?" Yes, am I interested in buying one, no. Simplicity rules.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       10-14-2016, 8:16 AM Reply   
I feel like if your an avid boater you should have 1 or 2 spare plugs around at all times . I keep a spare in my truck and in the boat . I saved other peoples day by having those spare plugs as well.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-14-2016, 11:36 AM Reply   
Imagine, if when you forgot your drain plug, that there was a way for your boat to automatically pump water out of the hull until you were able to get the plug back into the boat. Oh wait ... we already have bilge pumps. Solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The bilge pump was a great idea though. It works when you forget to clamp a hose when you install a new impeller as well.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-14-2016, 1:51 PM Reply   
buy 3 plugs. one in the truck, one in boat, one in hole. problem solved.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2016, 7:09 AM Reply   
The standard brass t-handle is hard to improve upon. Who wants plastic or an automatic system below the water line. Its asking for problems. I throw my pug in the drivers foot tray and they never leave the boat so I do not forget about them.

Don't ever expect your bilge pump to keep up with a leak. It probably will not.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-17-2016, 9:31 AM Reply   
It'll keep up long enough to get the problem fixed every time. If yours won't then you have the wrong ballast pump for your boat.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-18-2016, 4:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
The standard brass t-handle is hard to improve upon. Who wants plastic or an automatic system below the water line. Its asking for problems. I throw my pug in the drivers foot tray and they never leave the boat so I do not forget about them.

Don't ever expect your bilge pump to keep up with a leak. It probably will not.
Bingo! I put it in the hatch cover in same spot so I can't forget to put in the plug cause hatch is off. And taking out the rear one is useless, driving up a levee water still doesn't come out that hole

Last edited by granddaddy53; 10-18-2016 at 4:04 PM.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-23-2016, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
It'll keep up long enough to get the problem fixed every time. If yours won't then you have the wrong ballast pump for your boat.
Bilge / ballast... I always install a 2nd pump as backup and as added capacity. However, pull you plug and give your pump a test. It may surprise you.