Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       07-28-2016, 10:04 AM Reply   
Can someone please explain to me why me and my friends are the only ones on the lake, and the sheriffs feel the need to fly around the lake and create wakes that ruin perfectly good wakeboarding conditions?? Nothin against cops I mean I respect the boys in blue, but really? Anyone else have this problem or is it just where I live? It drives me nuts
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2016, 10:12 AM Reply   
99.9% chance they don't realize what they're doing is a pain in the ass to you. Take 10 minutes, explain it to them and be upset if they don't stop after you've spoken to them.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-28-2016, 2:39 PM Reply   
Thats funny, i took a video on a local DNR officer fishing all day in the cove in front of my house. showed him last month, he said he owed me one. take payers money at its best. they truly have nothing to do all day. thats why.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       07-28-2016, 4:13 PM Reply   
Nick- I've asked an officer why they do that and he said they have to patrol the entire lake and make sure everyone is abiding by the rules, hen he proceeded to check all my life jackets, fire extinguisher, etc.

Doug- that's a crazy one! never heard of them fishing! Does make send that they would get bored though
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-29-2016, 11:03 AM Reply   
Maybe you should suggest he fish. Given a choice of two evils I'd rather pay them to leave me alone and not ruin the water than pay them to harass me and make the water unusable.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-29-2016, 1:20 PM Reply   
outside of saturday sunday traffic, the rest of the week is quiet. then burn thousands of dollars in tax payers cash just on gas alone. They run up and down the lake until there shift is up then dock. i would rather have them sit and fish then blow fuel and where and tear on boat WE the tax payer pay for. Its crazy. we have NC, SC police, DNR, Sherrif and county police all at the same time on our lake.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-29-2016, 1:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Maybe you should suggest he fish. Given a choice of two evils I'd rather pay them to leave me alone and not ruin the water than pay them to harass me and make the water unusable.
I'd rather they go pull over the parade of morons that I regularly see on the lake. Last week (not weekend.. mid-day on a Friday) had a guy in a little 13' outboard john boat manage to be running JUST faster than we were, and proceeded to zig zag across our nose about a half dozen times. THAT kind of crap needs to be stopped.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       07-29-2016, 3:26 PM Reply   
Agreed with all of you guys. I may bring fishing poles for them next time haha

Mark- I had a boat just like that the other day pulling a boogie board and a full grown man on it!!! Stupid
Old     (Tolleson2354)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-01-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
We get stopped all the time by lake patrol, I think they stereotype wake boats because of the party cove reputation the "1 surf board, 8 wet sounds, 3 bros, and 6 honeys" crowd has created. I don't mind them keeping the lake safe or even stopping us, just quit trying to stop us while somebody is riding!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-01-2016, 6:50 PM Reply   
Our lake has had a ton of people die this year (really sad stuff) and no one was a boater. They where fisherman or people walking the shoreline and fall, hit there head and drown. The other usually suspect is a senior having a heart attach or stroke in the heat on a pontoon boat. we had a 65 year old have a heart attach last year in front of our beach. really sad, but not enthusiast boaters. I don't want anyone to ever get hurt and want our lake to be uber safe, but if going out on the lake is stressful, then who wants to go. We went this saturaday morning a 7 am, boarded and surfed until 11 and bailed to the beach. Before I moved to the carolinas 4 years ago, we had a program in Pgh pa where you had an officer inspect your gear before the beginning of the season and they issued a tag on the boat showing you where compliant to all regulations. it worked. they stopped pulling over routine boaters for safety checks and focused on those who where not. I wish they would do that on our lake.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       08-01-2016, 7:51 PM Reply   
That's a good idea! I wish more lakes would do that check!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-02-2016, 12:07 PM Reply   
As I get older I get stopped less often - I wish I could reverse that trend.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-02-2016, 12:13 PM Reply   
my crew is all around 40 ish so we don't get pulled over often but we do get the look all time and randomly checked for gear no matter what we do
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-02-2016, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
As I get older I get stopped less often - I wish I could reverse that trend.
Ha! That's so true! I don't even run registration numbers on my boat and I STILL get left alone despite me just asking for it. I think the progressive lack of hair is actually working for me now.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-02-2016, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
I don't even run registration numbers on my boat
Stupid question WHY?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-02-2016, 10:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Stupid question WHY?
We had this discussion already, like 4-5 years ago. Back then, you said the only boat that should be allowed to run without numbers was the totally murdered out SAN that N3 did. Remember now?

In short, I removed the ones off of my 2005 SAN because I didn't like how they dirtied up my bow. On the new 230, it's the same thing. It's purely for petty cosmetic reasons. I keep all of the stickers in my glove box just in case I run into an aquatic Barney Fife. I regularly pass law enforcement and they say nothing. Sac river, delta, Berryessa. Doesn't matter. No one cares. Maybe I'm just lucky so far. I've been doing this for around 5-6 years now.

For the record, all taxes and registrations are always paid on time in full. It's about the equivalent of not running front plates on a car. Yeah... I'm a real gangster now, right?

Last edited by markj; 08-02-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-03-2016, 4:24 AM Reply   
It the equivalent to not running any plates on a car actually...
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2016, 7:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truekaotik View Post
It the equivalent to not running any plates on a car actually...
Yeah that's true.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       08-03-2016, 9:05 AM Reply   
I bought my boat from Nevada and I live in California, the guy I bought it from had his NV number HAND PAINTED on so I wanted to leave them as log as I could. THE FIRST DAY I took my boat on our water I got pulled over, searched, and was told to change the numbers to my correct CF number or next time I'll get a ticket. I was pretty upset about it. I had it registered and all fees paid in California, but they were still super rude about it. Glad you guys could rock your boat without a CF ... Keep in mind I'm only 20 years old though so I don't get away if they have the chance to get me
Old     (board365)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-04-2016, 12:10 PM Reply   
Well on our lake we have lake patrol and game wardens usually the wardens are 3 deep, and harass wake boat 99% of the time . I have no problem falling all rules laws, but when one individual is out to show how much power they have I do have a problem. Any weekend from 6pm on they circle the buoys while people are putting up doing "safety checks" . I watched them last weekend for 45min to a hr only pull over wake boats while other boats were not looked at. Anyone else see this happen ?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2016, 1:24 PM Reply   
wakeboats lives matter

Last edited by jonblarc7; 08-04-2016 at 1:26 PM. Reason: wrong
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-04-2016, 2:39 PM Reply   
All boats matter!!!
Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-04-2016, 3:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by board365 View Post
Well on our lake we have lake patrol and game wardens usually the wardens are 3 deep, and harass wake boat 99% of the time . I have no problem falling all rules laws, but when one individual is out to show how much power they have I do have a problem. Any weekend from 6pm on they circle the buoys while people are putting up doing "safety checks" . I watched them last weekend for 45min to a hr only pull over wake boats while other boats were not looked at. Anyone else see this happen ?
See your in Texas. Used to live in Ft Worth and boat mainly on Eagle Mountain Lake. No matter what TX lake we were on though the game wardens were thick as thieves. Its almost a guarantee your getting pulled over every time you go out there. Way out of control....they would sit at the entrance to coves just waiting to pull the boaters over.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-04-2016, 6:13 PM Reply   
Don't mess with Texas.....
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-05-2016, 5:56 AM Reply   
I bet I haven't been pulled over by a Game Warden in 7-8 years and I see them almost every time I go out. It's like they are pulling jet ski's and drunken pontoon boat more than wake boats. But our lakes around here don't have a huge party scene.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       08-05-2016, 6:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolleson2354 View Post
We get stopped all the time by lake patrol, I think they stereotype wake boats because of the party cove reputation the "1 surf board, 8 wet sounds, 3 bros, and 6 honeys" crowd has created. I don't mind them keeping the lake safe or even stopping us, just quit trying to stop us while somebody is riding!
Damn if only my ratio was that good....
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-05-2016, 6:42 AM Reply   
We don't mind having the sheriff come say hi on our lakes. It usually means the kids get free ice cream vouchers for having their life jackets on. That being said, I just always give them a friendly wave, and they pretty much never come check on me.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-05-2016, 8:01 AM Reply   
On 2 of our local lakes here in Georgia I've never been stopped in 20 years of boating. But one local lake I get pulled over about every other time I go. So I guess it just depends on the lake. I got all my crap together so its not a big deal, just a little time consuming. Although they have never given me grief about me not having my Registration sticker on the side of the boat. ( keep it in the glove box, the stickers they use don't want to come off very well to replace so I stopped putting them on )
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-05-2016, 9:53 AM Reply   
Used to get stopped all the time on Berryessa or the Delta when I was in my 20's and had a boat full of scantily clad women on the boat . Then as I got into my 30's it started to die off and the fuzz started to treat me with respect . Now that I'm almost 40 its like I could drive and do keg stands at the same time and not get pulled over . lol

I have seen Napa County Sheriffs do shady stuff up at Berryessa more then once . I saw a small group pull up under the bridge back when it was crazy in a master craft and then people from other boats eventually made there way over to say hi and visit and then the sheriff shows up and makes the guy in the driver seat drive to the shore he says too many people on board and says nobody can exit the boat before he drives it over . Well the guy in the seat wasn't the driver or boat owner and was pretty tuned up and got a BUI and tickets for having too many passengers and not enough life jackets . Then they took him to Jail in his board shorts no shoes no shirt no nothing else . I feel like it was entrapment or something . We actually contacted the Sheriffs office and complained of the unscrupulous tactics the sheriffs were using .
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-05-2016, 9:56 AM Reply   
^^^That's brutal!