Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hdchapman)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-29-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
My family is considering relocating to the Phoenix area and I wanted to see if any WW's could provide some insight.

What lakes are around that you can wakeboard/surf on and how far are they from Scottsdale?

I have also heard there are some private lakes in the area with waterfront homes; does anyone know the names of some of these communities?

I would also appreciate any additional insights.

Thanks,
Chappy
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-29-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
There are several lakes close to scottsdale.
Bartlett, Pleasant, Saguaro, Canyon. All of those get insanely busy. You have to go early morning.

Two great lakes to go to if you dont mind the drive is Roosevelt, and apache. Ive seen glass on those lakes on even holiday weekends.

I know of one private lake which is San Tan Lakeside Estates which is down in the Gilbert/Queen Creek area. Off of Riggs between Power Rd. and Higley Rd.

Oh and You can get a membership to firebird lake. Never been in it but being around it, it smells funky.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-29-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
There is a community in Gilbert called Crystal Point I believe. Smaller lake though with maybe 50 or so homes. Don't know of any in Scottsdale though. I will agree with ryan about lakes around the valley being crappy in the summer unless you are there at sunrise. The community off of Riggs that Ryan mentioned was developed by a buddy of mine and I think they still have land available, but it is kind of pricey. Of course with the real estate market in AZ sucking so bad, I am sure there are some deals out there. If you need some info I can hook you up with a buddy of mine who is a Realtor and Wakeboarder and probly can get you all the info you need.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-30-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
there are 2 small private lakes in the valley crystal point and playa del ray. crystal point is a ski lake. its like 4 feet deep and no ballast/wake altering is aloud. other is playa del ray. its really short. u can have what ever floats yr boat on that lake. but 3 days a week paddle boats have the right away on the lake. and its 5 feet deep. and there are 4 other private lakes on the far outsides of the valley i would say 50 to 100 miles at least from scottsdale
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-30-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
Here are a bunch of listings of houses on a "lake", but you can only wakeboard on very, very few of them. I like the house at 165 N. Ski Court...

"Phoenix Area Lake Houses"

Most of the water in the lakes is "reclaim" water and you can't swim or do anything else in it...
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-01-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
That first house almost makes me want to Move to Arizona City... $179,000 to bad it's in the middle of nowhere!
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-02-2009, 2:05 AM Reply   
There are only three on that site that you can for sure ski on. I am not sure if there are rules about wakeboarding. The one in Buckeye is no where near Scottsdale but is the cheapest at 475k. The other two are at the bottom. 1.35M and 2.5M. I live a block from both of these places. I see people skiing on them but have never in 10 years seen anyone wakeboard on them. Believe me, I turn my head everytime I drive by these places wishing I would win the lotto.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-02-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
its so cheap for 450 000 i bought somethign comparable to a 250 000 house there and not even on a river or lake, yeah montreal !!!!!
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-02-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
If you want a specific search or neighborhood let me know... I gots the power...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-02-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
Firebird? Funky?

Man, thats an understatement.

It's not close enough to do daily, but Powell is close enough to do weekends. Doesn't get much better than that.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-02-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
You have to have diesel to do Powell every weekend, that hill will kill a gas truck pulling a boat every weekend. I'm trying for once a month next year...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-02-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
Yea, I have a buddy who lives in Surprise. After pulling that hill a few times, they decided to leave the X-Star at Powell & make the drive as many weekends as possible in the car. A few years of that & then they bought a houseboat too.

Thats a trip I want to make sometime soon.
Old     (hdchapman)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-03-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the great info. Spent the holiday down in Scottsdale and loved it but havenn't made any decisions yet.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-03-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
sorry were full, take a number..........LOL
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-04-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
When were you here? You may want to spend the last week in July through the first week in August before you decide:-)