Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-10-2015, 1:31 PM Reply   
We have a 2004 Regal 2000 inboard/outdrive. We have been trying to sell it for almost 2 years. We werent having much luck so we decided to let a dealer try to sell it on consignment for us. They had it for almost a year with only a few LOWBALL offers. Well since they hadnt sold it yet and its close to boating weather we were going to get it back and try other avenues to sell it. So over the last few weeks/month we have been trying to contact them to get it back. Wont answer calls wont return emails, we drive to the dealer location to find its now a car lot with a few boats still there but ours is nowhere in site. Noone is there, the phone has a message saying they will return from the holiday on jan 6. Their website has dead links. We called the police and our insurance company. We get a police report in 3-5 days and the ins agent is supposed to call us tomorrow. A few people on facebook told us that since we let them take the boat that the ins company is not responsible for it. Can this possibly be true? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-10-2015, 1:58 PM Reply   
I don't think that is true at all. You left your boat with a licensed dealer for a specific reason. Not like you abandoned it in their lot. They stole your boat, thats theft so unless your insurance policy doesn't cover theft, your good. Never heard of a policy that doesn't cover theft.

Sucks though, as its probably going to take some time to get it worked out. How long did you go without contact with the dealer?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-10-2015, 2:22 PM Reply   
Ouch. Do you have consignment ppwk?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-10-2015, 3:30 PM Reply   
Damn!
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-10-2015, 4:47 PM Reply   
NEW TWIST.....Once the police got involved we received a call from the dealer. (imagine that) Now they tried to say we had agreed on a price over the phone and that they had sent us a check. After some arguments they changed their story again and said that they had a check in our "FILE" that was 2000 less that the price we were wanting to get. Apparently the boat was sold back in August of 2014. Should we stick to our original agreement price or just take the 2000 less and be thankful we got SOMETHING? Im due to talk to the ins agent tomorrow at 1100.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-10-2015, 5:44 PM Reply   
I hope you have the title in your files somewhere.

I wouldn't think an agreement over the phone would hold up in the court system unless some ink was involved upon leaving the boat on consignment- which I hope you read the entire document, and still have a copy in your files next to your title.

If you think $2k is worth it, I would track the HID numbers, and try to reach out to the boat buyer, explain what had happen, and offer them to give you $2k, or buy the boat back at what they bought it for once you get that check from the dealer with hopes to sell it for $2k more on your own. If that doesn't work, then I would take the dealer to small claims court in order to get your $2k.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2015, 6:47 PM Reply   
This happens more than you think actually. Especially in the car world....
Did you give him the title to boat and trailer or do you still have those? Hopefully you kept them until the money is delivered
Do you have the Consignment agreement?

Not sure what your insurance agent will do. I would talk to a lawyer and push them. Look at the sale paperwork that they made back in 8/14 and verify the prices they actually sold it for. Reconcile that with your consignment agreement if you have that and then we will all have more information to help you possibly. Get the better business bureau and attorney general for your state involved. Maybe a local news channel. If they are still in business this will scare them to the point that I don't think they will put up a fight for the $2000.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-11-2015, 7:40 AM Reply   
You have been trying to sell it for 3 years now and you are worried about 2k? Eat it. Its not worth the hassle. And if you track down the new buyer, I can tell you what his response will be..........
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-11-2015, 9:03 AM Reply   
Calling the new buyer is ridiculous. They bought it from the dealer not you. If I bought a boat 6 months ago and out of the blue someone called me and said " hey that new boat you bought is actually mine and you owe me two grand" I would think you were some nut job scammer and tell you to go pound sand. Even if you weren't' some nut job I would tell you go pound sand. Trying to sell for 3 years take the money and get out of this mess.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-11-2015, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
You have been trying to sell it for 3 years now and you are worried about 2k? Eat it. Its not worth the hassle. And if you track down the new buyer, I can tell you what his response will be..........
I'm with this mindset. Get your check, eat the 2 grand, and be on your way. If your boat took 3 years to sell, you priced it out of the market anyway. Had you dropped 2 grand off your asking price, it would have likely sold in year 1.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-11-2015, 9:19 AM Reply   
Definitely don't go hound the new buyer. That's not going to get you anywhere.
I don't see the insurance doing much for you at this point either.
Verbal agreements are valid in some states, but there has to be some type of proof, such as a recording. Depending on the state's laws, you may have had to have them say it was being recorded for them to do so. It's really a He said, She said, argument there without one.
Bring out your paperwork, if it says whatever the price was, and they are trying to give you less, then sue them in small claims court. The filing fee is usually low and you can represent yourself if you don't want to get a lawyer involved. If you have paperwork to back up your story and the amount it should go smoothly for the most part.
The fact that they didn't contact you, send you a check, and just pulled up roots and left, doesn't put them in a good light already.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2015, 5:19 PM Reply   
You definitely won't and can't get it from the new buyer. Not sure where that is coming from. Not seeing that above, but I am reading fast. If proper paperwork is in place he can possibly get it from the seller though... Again, it all comes down to documentation and none of us have seen any of this from the OP so really hard to give any advice.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-11-2015, 6:52 PM Reply   
Well not quite sure where the 3 years came from, it was less than 2 total. Anyway after a few calls and texts we got them to agree to meet us halfway and they gave us an extra grand so we were only out 1 grand. It all ended up fine it was just a shady few weeks. From now on I'll do a little more research for more reputable dealers.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-11-2015, 7:47 PM Reply   
Right here….

"We have been trying to sell it for almost 2 years. We werent having much luck so we decided to let a dealer try to sell it on consignment for us. They had it for almost a year with only a few LOWBALL offers."

I went to public school, but pretty sure 2+1 does indeed equal 3!!!