Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-19-2015, 2:22 PM Reply   
Changed my steering cable on my 03' sanger v210 it's a 21' from teleflex. But it's at leadt 2' too long I had make a "u" behind my side seat to make it work. I fixed my tight steering but bothers me it's not a straight run like the original. Idk if semper marine gave me the wrong part # on purpose because I told them I was buying locally, called sanger direct for the part # and these guys called me back trying to make a sale. Any body else have this problem? Bothers the hell out of me. There has to be a lil more resistance do to the "u" in my run
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-19-2015, 3:20 PM Reply   
Red, I'm re-doing my 2002 V210 right now again after 5 years. Indeed it's a 21' cable. Don't know how the 2003 is routed but I can't imagine much different. Here's pics of the routing and my job from 2010:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748944
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-19-2015, 3:35 PM Reply   
Was yours too long?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-19-2015, 3:36 PM Reply   
The reason your cables are hard to turn or are breaking is because from time to time your bilge is getting enough water in it to submerge your steering cable.

3 things you can do.

#1. replace your cable. I haven't heard of someone bringing back a rusty/sticky cable back to life.
#2. Fix your water in the blige situation.
#3. Install a cable lubricator.

This will lubricate your cable and keep water from creeping up the line. After about 10 years my cable
was pretty bad. I installed a new cable and the lubricator and I was shocked at after I replaced the cable how easy my wheel spins. I can take 1 finger and flick the wheel and it will spin from lock to lock.

These cab be bought at West marine. I did have to tap threads onto my teleflex cable end to make this work. But it was a easy install
Attached Images

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-19-2015, 10:26 PM Reply   
Agree with Grant. I had to replace mine again became of a water in the bilge problem. Got that fixed with a new bilge pump on the steering cable side and should be good for a while after this.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-20-2015, 5:51 AM Reply   
I mean it's just maintenance. No biggie. I'm just concerned with the length of the cable. Grant where did you install that zerk? On the 12" sleeve thst the cable goes through before the rudder?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-20-2015, 10:35 AM Reply   
^yes. I put one there too. It's already threaded. Just take the non-zerk off and thread the zerk fitting on. I think that's in my earlier post/link.