Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (WakeboardCayman)      Join Date: Sep 2013       02-24-2014, 8:36 AM Reply   
Last weekend we were able to sponsor the TRIO, a kiteboarding competition on the island. We got to take a bunch of the kiters out wakeboarding a couple of the days and those dudes can rip! Everyone of them can throw all of their tricks regular and goofy. Even the ones who had never ridden behind a boat before. Also towed one of the dudes up about 150 ft with his kite behind the boat. Thought I would share a couple shots of the action.
Attached Images

Old     (awakewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2013       02-24-2014, 9:26 AM Reply   
That's sick! Sure would hope that hole thing about never being behind a boat works vise versa. Gonna try kite boarding soon and have no idea if I will be able to do anything on a kite.
Old     (WakeboardCayman)      Join Date: Sep 2013       02-24-2014, 10:04 AM Reply   
I wish that were so Andrew. Having your board skills down helps a ton though! I have taken a couple lessons so far and the only tricky part is the kite. And riding switch because there is no toe side as a beginner. Try to get ahold of a trainer kite first and play around with that for a couple hours before you get a lesson and that will help you out a ton. It's a blast though you'll get hooked!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-24-2014, 4:10 PM Reply   
That looks like fun. How did you rig it up to run the guy up on his kite like a parasail? I'm guessing a tow strap was hooked to his harness or something and he wasn't just holding on to a wakeboard handle right?
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-25-2014, 6:08 PM Reply   
That is so crazy - we were down in Cayman that week and my kids were at the hotel where the kite boarders were staying. the wind was so low a lot of the competition was delayed so we didn't get to watch them. We actually talked about the wake boarding business model down there as the petrol is so freaking expensive. Would have loved to meet up with you guys to see this go down.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-25-2014, 8:23 PM Reply   
Awesome and the water down there looks so sick!
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-25-2014, 10:13 PM Reply   
Have fun with the tow ups. Here's what happens if things go wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INN_Shp3Kqg
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-25-2014, 10:19 PM Reply   
This is the opposite -> lots of wind and a static rider vs no wind and moving rider but in essence the results are the same
Old     (WakeboardCayman)      Join Date: Sep 2013       02-26-2014, 12:23 PM Reply   
@surf addict - he hooked the tow handle around his arm. @ Stuart - This is not something we normally do and fully understand the risks that were involved. Had he not been one of the top kite boarders in the world and experienced in doing this in addition to very low winds, we would have never attempted it.

@pprior - would have loved to meet up with you and your fam. Get in touch next time in Cayman.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-26-2014, 1:03 PM Reply   
That's crazy! I would not have thought someone would attempt that, but then again we all do crazy stuff from time to time. It looks sick. Glad it turned out ok.