Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (lacofdfireman)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-19-2015, 8:08 PM Reply   
Saw that Monterey is making a boat with a Forward Drive Volvo Penta motor. Anyone know if these are any good? Good for Surfing etc? How's the wake compared to say a Malibu SurfGate wave?
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-19-2015, 9:24 PM Reply   
I've only seen a review of a Bryant with the forward drive and it seemed to do what its supposed to. The only advantage i can think of would be better maneuverability around the dock. The ability to trim up is pretty much lost with one of these because of the props being on the front. So really i don't see any reason why someone would buy one over a Vdrive. Especially when you consider what they cost. The Bryant i saw reviewed was over 100k. Why not just buy a Malibu, Mastercraft, Tige, Supra, etc for that cash.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       06-20-2015, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by retoxtony View Post
I've only seen a review of a Bryant with the forward drive and it seemed to do what its supposed to. The only advantage i can think of would be better maneuverability around the dock. The ability to trim up is pretty much lost with one of these because of the props being on the front. So really i don't see any reason why someone would buy one over a Vdrive. Especially when you consider what they cost. The Bryant i saw reviewed was over 100k. Why not just buy a Malibu, Mastercraft, Tige, Supra, etc for that cash.
Because a lot of people don't want VDrives. If you're someone who just wants to cruise a lot of the time, in a very well built, high end boat, but have the ability to also do watersports when you want to, an I/O is the boat to go with. Have you ever ridden in some rough water in a VDrive, and then hop in a Bryant or a Cobalt, and go ride in that same water? It's not even close. One is a performance machine top to bottom, and one is a luxury ride, that can also perform on certain levels. Now, I, along with the majority of people here, would still prefer the VDrive, but the tournament boat market is a small segment of overall boat users
Old     (lacofdfireman)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-20-2015, 6:10 PM Reply   
This is not for me. I was just wondering about them because a friend of mine got talked into buying a new Monterey over a VDrive at the dealer because the dealer to him this design was better than a VDrive. He wants a boat for surfing. He already put down a deposit also. Hope he is happy with it. BTW I own Chattawakes A24 and wouldn't trade it for a G23. We just spent a week on Lake Powell and my buddy that is an Anesthesiologist had a brand new 2015 G23. Our wake from the A24 was better than his any way he tried to make it. Overall boat quality was nicer on the G23 but not $50k worth. Plus I like the simplicity of the A24 with its towels switches etc. I could imagine if one of the computers goes out on a G23 console your looking at some big bucks to fix. But then again if you own a 2015 G23 you probably could care less cause it would be a drop in the bucket so to speak.

Last edited by lacofdfireman; 06-20-2015 at 6:16 PM.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-21-2015, 3:35 AM Reply   
Just tell you buddy, if he is looking for the "best" G surfwake he can plumb some bags and additional pumps in the G. What i like with my 21, i get a good surfwake with the subfloor ballast, and don't have to deal with any bags and don't loose any space.
To replace a LINK 2 System, estimate around 3500.- $... but don't forget, your A24 has a computer built in, just not the fancy display ;-). Axis are nice boats, but the power wedge is something i really miss.

http://www.boatingmag.com/wakesurfin...-forward-drive

Not very impressive and they do never drive a straight line..... hmm... If you buy a boat for Wakesurfing, i think its not the best option, but at least you can wake surf behind that.

Last edited by OneCent; 06-21-2015 at 3:40 AM.