Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
We're thinking about relocating to the D/FW Metroplex (specifically the Plano/Frisco/McKinney area) and were wondering where everyone stores their boats?

Houses there seem to be built one of three ways, none of which is conducive to keeping your boat at home:

1) Rear garages with very narrow back alleys
2) "J-swing" driveways
3) A few with straight front driveways (a plus), but very shallow 20-foot garages

Does anyone there keep their boat at home or do you all pay to have it stored? If the latter, what are the approximate going rates?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-09-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
100 and up for anything close to a lake that is under lock and key. Close to the water will be arounf 200 per month
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-09-2011, 7:31 AM Reply   
Hey h2o. Im in Mckinney (the new dallas,lol) and it is aginst city law to park your boat in the driveway or in the street, and HOA's here will only let you keep it the driveway for 1-2 days before you get a nasty letter. IT sucks!! Storage cost is going to be $80 for way out there or $100-$150 mo for great close storage. It really depends exactly where your going to be. Pm me or call when you know exactly where your going to be and I can look around for you. We have a nice lil tight supra group (6-7 boats) here in mckinney and surounding area and we all work on each others boats, camp and ride together. My engine and trans it out right now getting a new floor and complete makeover stereo, new auto ballas, custom crap..the works!! Let me know if I can help?? Jet 214-562-6911
Old     (boardnxtx)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-09-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
I had a gem of storage facility in downtown Plano, in a large warehouse near Plano Marine. It was a warehouse that used to be a big grain distribution plant. The guy that owned it had an air conditioning company and kept most of his trucks/equipment in there. Only charged me $80/mo and I had all the room I could ever need. Their office is near 13th and M Avenue, so you might try and check that out. I heard he leased the whole warehouse to someone, but it may be worth checking it out to see if he's still renting it out. It definitely beats the $175/mo that Plano Marine charges for their storage.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys...

Jet, I'll definitely look you up when we get close to moving (probably not until October/November). Ideally, I'd like to be able to keep the boat in the garage to avoid the HOA gestapo's, but with ~80% of the homes in that area being the rear-alley type and/or having really shallow garages, I don't know if that's going to be possible.

The two places I've found so far that are fully enclosed and have an electrical hookup are Frisco EZ Storage and Daddy's ToyBox (up in Pottsboro, near Texoma). I'll definitely keep looking though. Just trying to understand what my budget will be for a house if I have to pay to store it.
Old     (MikeP)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-09-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
We have some friends that keep their MC on the south side of Lewisville. There are plenty of places around that lake. Good luck.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-09-2011, 11:12 AM Reply   
Lavon Self Storage. Less than 5 minutes from the water and around $100/month.
Old     (skylar18)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-09-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
Jet, You can get Drystack storage at a marina here on Lake Travis for $180-$220 a month as long as you lower your tower, more if you keep it up.

Do you have dry stack storage on the lakes up there?
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-09-2011, 2:24 PM Reply   
Around the 121 Pier there is a storage place called Sunshine Boat Storage that has good prices. Unless you want to live outside the Plano Frisco etc.. area you most likely will not find a garage for a wake boat. There are some just most of them are high end houses for this area.
Old     (hughes144)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-12-2011, 3:50 PM Reply   
Eubanks... I asked them for quote before and it was $150 a month for enclosed storage. Wriedt's (where I store my boat) is $130 a month for enclosed storage and is 7 minutes away from the closest water. (2 minutes farther than Lavon Self Storage) :-)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-12-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
i just relocated to the exact area you are looking from out of state. Not all neighborhoods have HOA's, you can find a place and ways for accommodating parking it, but garage is harder to come by. Let your realtor know you need to park the boat.

www.dallaswakeboarding.com is a good resource for contacts as well.

Also, i hope you know there is a cable park going in at Allen