Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-06-2009, 5:22 AM Reply   
I'm taking the family for a day trip on Minnetonka tomorrow (Friday). It's been years since I've been on the lake. Any suggestions for riding spots or other places to check out? (It'll be me, my wife and 5 kids...)

We're putting in at the county park on the West end.

Thanks!!!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-06-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
Bays galore man. Anything out on the north end on Wayzata is going to be huge chop and blown out. Just find a bay that is deep enough for you but too shallow for the 30'ers.. The kids will love if you take them to lunch somewhere on the water. Bayside during the day is probably the best as they have casual outdoor eating (plastic chairs for wet swimming suits)and the party crowd wont be out til after dinner. Have fun. You could spend all day going from bay to bay finding good water to ride. Enjoy the house envy and stay away from Big Island after about 3pm on a Friday if you have kids with.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-06-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
So, does that mean you'll be putting in at Halteads's bay? If so, you'll see a marker bouy straight out from the launch. Make sure you stay to the right of it and go arount it before you head north. There's rocks on the other side.

Do some boarding at the far south and east end of Halsteads. There's a bit of algae in the bay, so the water is green. But it also means no weeds. The east end has a sandy bottom.

Go thru Cooks and West Arm and stop at Lord Fletchers for lunch. It's in the channel between West Arm and Crystal Bay.

Head up to Maxwell Bay. As soon as you go thru the channel, there's a really nice sandy swimming area to your right.

Do some boarding in North Arm.

Head back thru Crystal Bay, under the Arcola Bridge and straight ahead to Big Island. The families stay to the northeast of the island. The party folks are on the northwest.

Head south towards St. Albans bay to Excelsior Bay. Get out at the Excelsior docks and walk a block to Licks Unlimited for ice cream.

Head back north and between Lower Lake and LaFayette go thru the Narrows bridge to East Upper. Stop at goose island for family fun. It's the tiniest island just south of Spring Park Bay on the map.

Head straight south from there to the pink dot. That's Howards Point Marina. Stop for a candy bar.

Head straight west to boy scout island. It's the middle island between South Upper and West Upper. There's a rope swing for the kids on the south side of the island.

Have fun!

Upload
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-06-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
Looks like I may have to stay for the weekend. All these spots to check out plus forecasts of 90+ on Saturday!!

Thanks for all the tips!!
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-06-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
Biggest tip of them all, GET A MAP OF THE LAKE!!

It is invaluable to have it out there. Not a bad idea to map out a couple on the water food joints too.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-07-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
If you followed Tunemans advice you'd have to go out for a month of sundays..

I'd switch out Lord Fletchers with Bayside but otherwise his day sounds excellent.. Great work from the Tonka Tuneman himself.

Have fun - supposed to be SICK weather tomorrow.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-07-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
Again, thanks for the tips. Yes, I did find a very detailed map to bring along.

Unfortunately I'm now sitting at work instead of driving the 75 miles to Lake Minnetonka. Friggin rain....

I'm a little hesitant to go up on Saturday not knowing what the water traffic would be like. We'll see what the fam wants to do.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-07-2009, 6:51 AM Reply   
Paul,

Minnetonka gets super played out on the weekends, super fun party scene but a bit played out for riding unless you get out there early.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-07-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
+1 for having a map with you on the lake. if you forget it at home, you'll definitely want to stop at gas station near the lake and pick one up! super easy to get wicked lost out there if your not familiar with the area. lol, even with the map it's easy to get lost!
Old     (whoanellie)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-07-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
Great tips tuneman! Makes me miss living on Minnetonka.

Riding in Halsteads will be your best bet...the earlier the better.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-13-2009, 5:39 AM Reply   
Well we ended up going this past Tuesday due to lousy weather last week. Glad we waited!!

We put in at the county park on West Upper around 10:30 and immediately went to Halsteds. We had the bay pretty much to ourselves for 3 solid hours and it was nearly glass conditions the whole time. Started with the boards then even got in a little slalom as well. Can't remember the last time I've had water good enough to ski on at 1:00 in the afternoon!!

Hit Big Island, Boy Scout Island, did a bunch of putting around and ended up at Fletcher's for dinner.

Thanks for all the great advice.

My contribution for future visitors are the maps at this link:

http://www.co.hennepin.mn.us/portal/site/HCInternet/menuitem.3f94db53874f9b6f68ce1e10b1466498/?vgnextoid=9e01bbf4099fc010VgnVCM1000000f094689RCR D&vgnextfmt=default
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-13-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
Awesome! Glad you got out. We'll be out next weekend.
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-13-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
minnetonka is pretty sweet for partying and riding during the week days, but if you wanna find smooth water head over to long lake its perfect for wakeboarding.