Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-12-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
sorry post should read MM6501, not MMC6501.

anybody own/installed these? any good?
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/marine/products/mm6501/

my cabin speaker options are limited due to the stock clarion seperates (6.5in and seperate tweeter). i'd like to replace them, but finding decent 6.5in seperates that would look and sound good in my boat has been a little tough. used to have the momo MMC650's in my last boat and although they sounded good, i don't think they'd look good in my boat. was looking around and saw these newer polks. these might look good if they fit. anybody?

anybody with a 02/03 X-2 or 205V that has replaced their stock clarions? what did you use? not going to do the wetsounds since they don't have seperates. it would look stupid imo having a white tweeter next to a black coax regardless of how good it sounded.

any advice or feedback appreciated.

(Message edited by brucemac on September 12, 2008)

(Message edited by brucemac on September 12, 2008)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-12-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
What are you driving the current Clarions with now ( Watts RMS)? The Polks will like far more power then the Clarions will handle, about 125W. Both look like they require the same woofer and tweeter holes.

Have you looked at the marine line of components from Kicker? The KM6252's should be a perfect fit for your current clarions and only need 75W's RMS but will handle much more.

KM6252: 6" woofer (5-1/8" hole), 1" tweeter (1-15/16" hole), 75W RMS.

http://www.kicker.com/06/kicker_home.html
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-12-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
i guess i'm not really sure, but i believe it's somewhere around 80W RMS @ 2ohm to each by a U.S. Amps Amps XT 800.2. that's a guess, i can't remember what he told me. (2) 6.5in and (2) tweeters in the cabin, same thing in the bow.

they've got the 2 cabins and the 2 bow running off of the XT800.2 and the sub off a XT1000D.

the 800.2 is rated at 200Wx2 at 2ohms, but i'm not really sure how he wired the tweeters so i have no clue. over my head.

as for the kicker, thanks, but i'm not a big fan of them aesthetically. i'm sure they sound terrific, but i guess i'm just really picky.

guess i'll keep looking. sure wish i had room for the 7.7in'ers. :-(
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-12-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
Bruce, that amp is rated at 200x2 at 2 ohms like you said. It is giving each component(one midbass, one tweeter) 100 watts. I am not an expert on this stuff but I would think that would be enough, maybe not optimal, but enough to power 2 sets of those components. With components like that you hook them up just like coaxials. You run one channel to the crossover and that filters/splits the signal to the midbass and tweeter.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-12-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
thanks brett. it sounds pretty decent, but i want more. shane/cory did the best they could as far as tuning it for the clarions, but it doesn't get anywhere near as loud and clean as my old polk/JL setup did, but then i never expected it to. adding tower speakers will help satisfy i'm sure. i'll just keep waiting/looking as far as cabins i suppose. just found out that on those newer polks, the tweeters are silver/gray. yuck. no thanks.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-12-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
Your speakers are probably wire in parallel (+ to +/- to -) - 2 main cabins on 1 chnl, and 2 bows on 2nd chnl. The amp will see a 2ohm load and produce 200W's RMS. So, each speaker will net 100W's each. Slightly under powered for the Polks, but they will still sound good and probably pretty damn loud.

If you like the Polks, go for them, they should work just fine for ya.

"thanks brett. it sounds pretty decent, but i want more. shane/cory did the best they could as far as tuning it for the clarions, but it doesn't get anywhere near as loud and clean as my old polk/JL setup did, but then i never expected it to. adding tower speakers will help satisfy i'm sure. i'll just keep waiting/looking as far as cabins i suppose. just found out that on those newer polks, the tweeters are silver/gray. yuck. no thanks."

You say you more....is that more volume, louder music? Look at it this way. A keg holds the same amount of beer, no matter what size cups you use to empty. Your current amp is still only going to put out 100W's to each speaker, regardless of what speakers you have wired up. In many cases, an overpower speaker can sound better then an under powered speaker. I'll bet those Polks will sound great and be pretty loud, but they won't necessarily be louder as they are still driven by the same amp. If you really want to do those Polks justice, upgrade the Amp also.

(Message edited by chpthril on September 12, 2008)
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-12-2008, 5:32 PM Reply   
thanks mike, yeah, i get that, and i could be wrong, but i think maybe the installer lowered the gains a bit on the cabin speaker amp to accomedate the speakers capability. now, i could be wrong, and i'll find out, but yeah, i'm just looking for a little more volume and cleaner sound.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-12-2008, 9:40 PM Reply   
Bruce I've got those speakers in my boat right now and they sound awesome. Darren heard them today after our demo and I'm sure he'll agree. You can't go wrong with those speakers and they look good installed. Make sure they are big enough to fit into the holes you want to put them in. It is very hard to distort these speakers if you give them good clean power. I'm running 6 off a JL 300/4 and they scream.