Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       08-17-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
I was wondering why Ski Centurion's were never recommend to new buyers. I have a 1999 Air warrior with weight it throws a good wake I know it doesn't compare to mc,malibu,air na, But they are a Quality boat. They work well as a wake boat. You won't hurt my feelings tell me what you think of them. especially the older ones Thank You Joe
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       08-17-2008, 9:56 PM Reply   
I Have been told to go to The Centurion crew Page. I have, Their is Very little posting and info I really like this sight I am just wondering why their is very little said about centurion's. I do know they were primary built for sking and now for wake surfing. When I am out at the lake I see more people wake boarding behind them. Thank You Joe
Old    walt            08-18-2008, 5:45 AM Reply   
There are plenty of threads and lots of info on this site about Centurion and every other wake boat out there.

Try the search button in the upper right hand corner. Type Centurion into search and there will be over 150 threads.
Old     (glee22)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-18-2008, 5:57 AM Reply   
i dont really no much about the older ones but i have been checken out the new ones and they really look great and i heard it throws a decent wake,exspecialy with the switch blade
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-18-2008, 6:00 AM Reply   
I agree, Centurion gets their share of good and bad threads on here. Bottom line, it sounds like you dig your boat and enjoy it. When you have a specific question, this is a great community to get advice, but these kind of threads tend to turn into "my brand is better than yours" which have played out many many times.
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       08-18-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
Joe, don't worry about how much they're talked about on this site. Centurion has come a long way in the recent past and now makes a boat that competes with the best.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
As far as the Centurioncrew.com web site it is less than a year old so give it some time.

"I know it doesn't compare to mc,malibu,air"
I could not disagre more the Enzos are equal to and in some ways better than those boats. I have owned MasterCrafts (lots of them) and Centurions (lots of those) that is of course my opinion and I am sure others will disagree
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-18-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
I've had an 05 Avalanche and now an 07 Enzo, They are everybit as good as a Malibu, Mastercraft, or Supra. I've spent numerous days in all 3 of those brands and would invite a side-by-side anytime.

I stay out of the arguments on here because they are pointless.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-18-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
May be because they vapor lock :-)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
not mine

There is of course nothing unique to any engine manufacture and vapor locking
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-18-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
A friends 08 Malibu has been in the shop 5 times this summer, for vapor lock, and 2 for the electronic dash. Would have been 6 times for the throttle recall but they fixed it the same time as one of the dash display issues.

I've never had vapor lock on either Centurion. I agree with Kevin, it could happen to any brand.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       08-18-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
no problems with my avalanche, so far, but drop the "ski" from ski centurion please...
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
I think it was 2002 or 3 when Centurion droped the Ski from Centurion
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
There are some upgrades that can be done to older Mercs that will help many Vapor lock problems.

You can get gas that is VERY prone to vapor locking
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-18-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
ha! I love the "They are everybit as good as a Malibu, Mastercraft, or Supra." followed up by a "I stay out of the arguments on here because they are pointless." Then, for the topping: "A friends 08 Malibu has been in the shop 5 times this summer, for vapor lock, and 2 for the electronic dash." That's classic.

I've owned a Centurion and now am the proud owner of a Mastercraft. Both boats have given me their share of problems, but the Centurion gave me big problems over and over and over again, then didn't follow through on the customer service end of it while it was under warranty. My Mastercraft has had the standard MC problems (fuel pump/vinyl) BUT Mastercraft has gone above and beyond for me, as far as service after the sale. All boats have problems, it's all in how you're treated AFTER you drop the money... and don't be fooled, Centurion has raised their prices to be right in line with the "big 3".
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-18-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
New 2008 Centurion Falcon 81 hours since may 15th
zero downtime

My friends 08-X2
storage locker trouble
Vdig trouble
Fuel gauge trouble
In the shop twice
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-18-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
I actually tried to go back and delete my post, alas, it's been more than 10 minutes...

Your mileage may vary... I had a list of problems with my first wake boat and wasn't taken care of even though I was well within my warranty, I've had a few problems with my second wake boat and have been blown away with their customer service, even a year after the warranty expired. Buyer beware and all that.

(Message edited by taylormade on August 18, 2008)
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-18-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
In our third season with our Enzo SV230. We put about 75 hours a season on her. The boat has been flawless! Has never been back to the dealer (Except at the end of the first season, the Mercruiser engine had an exhaust gasket failure; simple repair. The mechanic comes to our marina slip and performs winterizing, oil changes etc.) Great wakeboard & wakesurf wake. Great smooth, Deep-V ride. etc., etc., etc.

(Message edited by steedracer on August 18, 2008)
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       08-18-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
I wasn't trying to start a debate I work for a boat dealership as a tech, We are the mastercraft,malibu,centurion,fourwinns sea ray authorized shop, we also work on everything else, I have only been doing it for a year. I have 30 years in the auto industry, I was asking the question because I honestly see many problems in the boats you talk about all the time. These problems I work on every day. I just don't want to sound like a know it all. And I learn things every day off of this sight That helps me in my Job.
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       08-18-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
The more thing's the higher quality boats have the more problems I can go through every boat and tell you what I see everyday. I also realized why they sell I am a wake boarder. by the way all you v-drives are the toughest to work on. the best wake but if you had to work on them You would probably have a direct drive like me. After standing on your head for 40 hrs a week you don't want to do it at home. if I ask a question I am really asking for input from others that own these boats. All boats have problems Thank You Joe
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-18-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
If you get a Centurion, get the PCM upgrade!

Personally I think they NOW make great boats. I LOVE their interiors.
Old    jahgs06            08-19-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
Just my in-put, we own a 2000 centurion V-Drive Eclipse with now comming upon 700hrs on our second season owning this boat and have had no issues at all, no vapor lock, no break downs, turn key and ready to go.We average around 100 to 200hrs per year. We get a massive wakeboard wake with 2200 to 2600lbs of weight and as for the surf wake there's no comparison it is the best. Ive surfed behind Mastercraft,Supra, and Moomba and will always choose my Centurion and so will my friends for surfing. I like all the top wakeboard boats and ride behind many with my kids, they all are great and all have there issues, maybe its just that mine is old and reliable or maybe its just that its paid for, but its been good to us.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-19-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
I was just kidding... I only said that because of this thread:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/615731.html?1219124989
Old     (steve300ex)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-19-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
i have a 05 avalanche. i put about 100hrs the first year and working on that again. mine never skips a beat, great rough water ride, and very reliable. i get compliments on it all the time. Now if i could get my wakes dialed in then i could honestly say i never had any problems. but im sure ill get figured out.
Old     (ir1d3)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-25-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
Ive got a 199 Ski centurion elite v drive and i love it! Only had 2 problems with it...blower went bad and i had to replace the impeller. Throws an awesome wake for wakeboarding, and i dont even have fat sacs, i just have a fly high extendo pylon. The boat is gonna be up for sale soon, 10 years old, time for a new one. im seriously considering a centurion avalanche, centurion has been an awesome boat for me!!
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-25-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
I was out on the Delta this weekend (not the were I normally boat) and saw ALOT of Centurions. I checked out an Enzo parked near us and it was sick. If I was in the market for a new boat id for sure look at them.
Old     (2onboone)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-25-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
06 avalanche and love it
only problem are the aztec machine swivel board racks that came on it suck
also my dealer really stands by the boat when it needs something
Old     (1irondragon)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-25-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
I absolutely love my '99 Elite V. If I ever get rid of this one it would probably only be for an Enzo 240. No plans to get rid of it yet, still enjoy every day out in it. Almost every outing I get a compliment on it. I think most of us Centurion owners seem very content to let all the others go ahead and rant about their brands. I know what kind of boat Centurion builds and am very content. So I personally don't need to tell somebody to go look at them when there is so many posts about Sanger, Malibu, Mastercraft, etc.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
04 avalanche, best boat I have owned. could have done a better job assembling the interior, I have had some staples pulling out. I think upholstry screws would have been a better choice. Thats what I have been replacing them with.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
Over the past four years Centurion has made vast improvements to the interior on the entire line. The 2009 changes are the best yet. My 2009 Avalanche came in about two weeks ago and the new vinyl is leaps and bounds ahead of the past.
Old     (mred)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-02-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
if you are one of the luck ones that get one with a balanced and clean wake they are not to bad but i would ride any centurion before i bought one.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-02-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
It's about getting on the water and having good times. Heck if you can only afford a used bayliner with a tower than let's talk throwing so weight in there to get the the wake up.

Every year Centurion steps up the vinyl. The dash this year looks great. I could have bought one of the big '3' but they couldn't get me the beam I wanted or snap out carpet. MC and Nuti would have been slightly used but each has it's high points.

Gotta water test any boat out there and make sure it fits you.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-02-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
^^^ Joe B got it.Not all of us can afford top of the line or for that matter care about a "jet fighter"looking dash or a bunch of bilng.Plus all boats are built by humans so every company is going to have some boats that are not perfect,some more than others.But it can't be too many or they wouldn't be able to stay in business.