Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-15-2015, 3:18 PM Reply   
Just wanted to let you all know my experience with this dealer and to encourage anyone not to purchase a thing from them! I purchased a used 2012 Supra Launch 242 Worlds Edition from them around 3 months ago. I contacted the sales manager through email several times before purchase and was told the boat had no problems and was in overall great condition minus a few light scratches from use. I purchased the boat and the dealer waited a month before delivering. The boat was shrink wrapped so when i was able to uncover it the next day I found the boat had damage to the right side. The chrome supra emblem was busted in pieces and the worlds logo had a large tear in it. Upon turning the boat on I came to find out the vision screen did not work as well. I took the boat to my local dealer and had everything looked at. I've went back and forth with George from Mid Indiana for over a month, him dodging my calls and not returning after I leave messages just trying to get this resolved and the conclusion he came to is only paying for the decals. They won't cover the screen or any of the labor charges it will take to repair the boat, which everything total is near 5 grand. So basically I have a 60k boat that I can't use! They kept saying they wanted to be fair to resolve this but that is the furthest thing from what they have done. I urge anyone in that area to never buy anything from them ever!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-15-2015, 3:26 PM Reply   
get a lawyer, and threaten to file a suit against them for fraud
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-15-2015, 5:13 PM Reply   
That's exactly what I did today
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-15-2015, 5:17 PM Reply   
I had a similar thing happen to me with a dealership here in MN. I blasted them on wakeworld and reported them to the better business bureau. Eventually they agreed to work on a compromise despite them causing the damage. Needless to say I will never give them my business again. That said hopefully your wakeworld post will create a bunch of buzz/concern with their clientele.
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-15-2015, 6:25 PM Reply   
I've filed a complaint with the better business bureau as well. I def hope this post will warn people in that area. They clearly knew the boat had problems, they made sure to exclude the damaged side in photos. They flat out screwed me over and now take no responsibility to help me get the repairs done.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-15-2015, 6:41 PM Reply   
That sounds super irritating. Hella stoked just to find out you've been duped!
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-15-2015, 7:07 PM Reply   
For sure, I was so pumped to get this boat and now it's boating season and it's a yard ornament
Old     (jmvotto)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-15-2015, 7:55 PM Reply   
Not the first one, get a lawyer. Too bad cuz that is a sweet boat, I would be pissed

http://www.yelp.com/biz/morse-lake-inboards-cicero
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       04-16-2015, 5:10 AM Reply   
Post it on the Supra forum it is watched by the company . Even though its probably not a warranty issue they don't like the negative attention and will likely work with you to get a resolution.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-16-2015, 7:20 AM Reply   
Froggy - They don't appear to be a Supra dealer. They look to be a Malibu dealer and he was buying a used boat.

That really sucks. Stay on them and once they see you are not giving up, maybe they will work with you. Shouldn't be that way, but sometimes that is how it works nowadays....
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-16-2015, 7:53 AM Reply   
Yea they are a Malibu dealer, this boat was a one owner trade in. I'm cool with some of the guys at Skiers Choice, if he was a supra dealer it would have already been handled..
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-16-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBurke View Post
Just wanted to let you all know my experience with this dealer and to encourage anyone not to purchase a thing from them! I purchased a used 2012 Supra Launch 242 Worlds Edition from them around 3 months ago. I contacted the sales manager through email several times before purchase and was told the boat had no problems and was in overall great condition minus a few light scratches from use. I purchased the boat and the dealer waited a month before delivering. The boat was shrink wrapped so when i was able to uncover it the next day I found the boat had damage to the right side. The chrome supra emblem was busted in pieces and the worlds logo had a large tear in it. Upon turning the boat on I came to find out the vision screen did not work as well. I took the boat to my local dealer and had everything looked at. I've went back and forth with George from Mid Indiana for over a month, him dodging my calls and not returning after I leave messages just trying to get this resolved and the conclusion he came to is only paying for the decals. They won't cover the screen or any of the labor charges it will take to repair the boat, which everything total is near 5 grand. So basically I have a 60k boat that I can't use! They kept saying they wanted to be fair to resolve this but that is the furthest thing from what they have done. I urge anyone in that area to never buy anything from them ever!
More of the back story would be helpful. I assume from your post that you bought the boat from them on good faith that when they (or you) unwrapped the boat that there would be no issues? Hopefully the purchase contract you agreed to did not say the boat was sold to you as-is and you were entitled to have it inspected and water tested before closing on the deal. It just seems odd that you would have blind faith in them (or any business) when you could not even see inside the boat to verify things before money changed hands. I understand you might not be able to tell us everything if you are planning legal action, but I am just trying to sort out the thought process as a whole.
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-16-2015, 8:17 AM Reply   
I did take in good faith the description of the boat I was given via email and verbally over the phone..There were several pics of the boat on boat trader but none of the pics were of the side with damage, but I did not think anything of that at the time. The rest of the boat is in great shape and looked great in the pics. I understand my mistake of taking their word on the condition as honorable. But for what is suppose to be a reputable dealer, I never expected to be deceived like this, maybe from an individual but not a dealer.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       04-16-2015, 8:17 AM Reply   
yeah... if the purchase agreement states the boat is sold as-is, then you're pretty much hosed man. Buying even a late model sight unseen is never a good idea.

you may have dug your own grave on this one.
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-16-2015, 8:25 AM Reply   
That's actually incorrect..with verbal and written discription given of the boat in good condition with no problems or damage that falls into fraud which over rides any as is agreements..if the boat had say broke down a day after I got it then I'd be out of luck, but they knew the condition and lied about it.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-16-2015, 8:39 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'd be leaving notes on all of their social media outlets (facebook, instagram, twitter, youtube, etc), google reviews, bing reviews, yelp, etc. Anything that future buyers would use to either find/research/stumble across this company should have your issues posted boldly for all to see. Those kinds of things make businesses change their attitudes pretty quickly.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-16-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
When i had my run in with the shady big 3 dealership here in MN I actually scheduled a meeting with the owner. They made me sit in the lobby and wait for 45 minutes after our agreed meeting time. From there I made sure to have all the supporting data about how the drowned starter was entirely their fault. I then provided my support with the BBB and multiple social media I had made posts on. Makes them know you actually will back up your talk. In order to get my compromised deal I had to delete all my posts and drop my BBB case.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-16-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mid+...d7b4200c31a7,1

Link to google review.
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-16-2015, 8:58 AM Reply   
I appreciate all the helpful insight! I def won't be quite about this for sure
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       04-17-2015, 8:52 AM Reply   
I've never had any dealings with this place but hate to hear about bad press for anyone in our area. We don't have ton's of options regardless so it really sucks you are dealing with this. I also bought a boat sight unseen over the winter and that was a stressful time until I was able to see the boat was legit with my own eyes. Stay on them, they will crack!
Old     (78Triple6)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-17-2015, 10:44 AM Reply   
you should also try looking into the implied warranty avenue. I believe that might be suitable for your situation as well. Basically you acknowlege the boat was sold as-is, but it was at least useable.
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-17-2015, 12:21 PM Reply   
Update on the situation. Got a call from the owner this morning and after we talked for a bit we came to an agreement. He offered to buy the screen and decals, ship them to me and I will pay for labor. That seemed plenty fair to me and I'm glad we were able to get this resolved so I can get this boat on the water and put it to use! After its all said and done Mid Indiana is good in my book!
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       04-18-2015, 6:55 AM Reply   
The fact that it took the owner getting involved after you've trashed them online and contacted a lawyer wouldn't make them good in my book. If they had handled it right from the start then they would be. They TRIED to take you to the cleaners and failed when they saw you weren't backing down. I'm sure the owner only got involved because of you threatening them, which is not the way to run a business. Handle things honorably up front and you never get this far, just my $.02
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-18-2015, 11:25 AM Reply   
I'm sure Morse Lake Inboards is the only dealership that will never do that again starting now and that they go through every boat and fix and make right everything they were intending to withhold from future buyers. And I am sure they never requested the OP to remove the negative experience from sites. This single little isolated isuue will definately move them to do a complete instant 180 despite decades of questionable business practices finally realizing that customer satisfaction is more important than money made by the dealership.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-19-2015, 5:57 AM Reply   
For those who have mentioned reporting to the BBB... don't bother - it's useless. BBB has no power, and frankly - nobody pays attention to them.
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-19-2015, 6:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The fact that it took the owner getting involved after you've trashed them online and contacted a lawyer wouldn't make them good in my book. If they had handled it right from the start then they would be. They TRIED to take you to the cleaners and failed when they saw you weren't backing down. I'm sure the owner only got involved because of you threatening them, which is not the way to run a business. Handle things honorably up front and you never get this far, just my $.02
I would have rather it been much easier and faster process, but getting it resolved and having the boat in the condition that I want was my main concern. So I hope to be on the water in a couple weeks!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-19-2015, 5:13 PM Reply   
Yeah but how much labor are you eating on a boat you were told was good to go?

I understand you are happy they did something, but with most shops being $100+/ hour for labor I bet you ate $500+ for an issue that you were never told about. I'm with Rusty, I wouldn't be OK with it.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-19-2015, 7:55 PM Reply   
HELL NO! you are likey going to get hosed on labor. so you bought the boat, it was not as promised or detailed and now youre spitting the cost with them... thats crazy!

you have been taken once again dude. owner and his dealership is stoked!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-20-2015, 6:23 AM Reply   
At the end of the day, you should always inspect a boat yourself, or pay someone to perform an independent inspection, before purchasing.

For all we know, the screen worked before the boat was shrinked, and the damage happened during delivery. You all are assuming the dealer knew the screen didn't work and the decal was damaged and lied about it.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. Compared to the cost of these parts, the labor should be minimal. Just my .02.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-20-2015, 7:16 AM Reply   
NEVER buy a boat that you can't closely inspect. How did you know the boat even runs?
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-20-2015, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
Yeah but how much labor are you eating on a boat you were told was good to go?

I understand you are happy they did something, but with most shops being $100+/ hour for labor I bet you ate $500+ for an issue that you were never told about. I'm with Rusty, I wouldn't be OK with it.
My guys at Supra are gonna take care of me so it won't be much.
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       04-20-2015, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
At the end of the day, you should always inspect a boat yourself, or pay someone to perform an independent inspection, before purchasing.

For all we know, the screen worked before the boat was shrinked, and the damage happened during delivery. You all are assuming the dealer knew the screen didn't work and the decal was damaged and lied about it.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. Compared to the cost of these parts, the labor should be minimal. Just my .02.
Agreed, I learned my lesson with this one. They did claim the screen was working before it was wrapped but the damage to the side they knew about and did not mention to me. What happened to the screen is unsure, I feel it was a fair agreement, just happy to get it fixed!