Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (khall)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-13-2012, 6:18 PM Reply   
Thanks, yea won it from a facebook giveaway. Sweet setup for sure, can't wait to get out on it. Was just ready to pull the trigger on a CWB setup, but no need now!

Been reading all I can on it, seems like it will be awesome...think im gonna have to skip work a few days if the wind ever dies down
Old     (89nauti2001)      Join Date: May 2012       06-13-2012, 6:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by khall View Post
Oh I am sure I will like it, just curious how different the ride would be. thanks for the offer though lol
You just went from a chevette to a corvette my friend....... Enjoy
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-13-2012, 7:26 PM Reply   
Anyone ride their SS Lyman with their fins moved forward. If so how was it.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-13-2012, 11:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Anyone ride their SS Lyman with their fins moved forward. If so how was it.
By forward do you mean toward the tips of the board or toward the belly?

I rode it one with the fins toward the tips of the board and didn't care for it, to me it was "too locked in" it released late off the wake and didn't seem to get on edge as quick as my Recoil.

Fins toward the belly? WHOLE NEW BOARD. Nothing gets on edge like this setup. It gets on rails all the way to the wake and FAST. Releases quick of the wake and allows you to tweak out your grabs and start your tricks a lot earlier. I have no desire to put the fins back toward the tips.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-14-2012, 12:49 AM Reply   
how about no fins?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-14-2012, 1:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
how about no fins?
I've been considering it, it is definitely doable. To be honest it has been riding so well with the fins toward the belly of the board that I haven't felt the need. It really is a great board.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-14-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
saw this gheto-ish durability test on the facebook page. testing the strength of one of the kiteboards with a fork lift, and weights and other rigged-up stuff
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....43468649052064
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-16-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
Just a little praise for the slingshot crew (and carry over from the other thread about their warranty).

I rode my last years RADS purely behind the boat for roughly 10 sets total. The liners went bad quickly...too quickly for a seasonal, boat only rider. I normally get a couple seasons out of my boots because of how little I'm able to ride these days.

Anyway, I haven't gotten out yet, but just received my replacement liners (shredtown multicolor). They definitely improved them! However, they seem to fit tighter than the old ones so we'll see.

All said, I am a huge fan of the company.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-20-2012, 9:15 AM Reply   
I have some more sets on the Lyman 144, and all I can say is Wow! I'm loving this board, fast, loose if you want it, edges great, releases well off the wake, great pop and good landings! Mine is setup with Ronix Ones, and it's a great lightweigh setup. The board does take some getting used to if you're coming from a "traditional" style of board, but I think it makes you work more on proper edging.
I rode a set on my friend's 140 w/ '12 RADS, and his bindings feel similar to the One's, but, they are heavier, and MUCH harder to get out of. Stiffness is about the same, the 140 felt very similar to my 144, maybe a little easier for me to put on edge, but good pop and landings.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
I'm curious about how the FL Lyman compares to the SS Lyman?
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-21-2012, 1:29 PM Reply   
I just tried the 2012 Reflex and loved it. I would also like to try the Kine but unfortunately we are overseas and this is not an option. We ride mostly boat but also have a cable park close that we ride sometimes. Has anyone tried the Kine and the Reflex. Are they a similar feel? What are the differences? I would like something that works great behind the boat and is decent for air tricks.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-21-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
I had to use a store credit from a pair of boots I broke before it expired, so I bought a 2012 slingshot response on a whim. I mainly needed a board for hitting rails. Hopefully this was a good decision, I will post my thoughts after I get it wet.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2012, 3:26 PM Reply   
@Tory....I want to know as well. Those are are the two decks that I am looking at as well. I mostly ride park though but want to get some cable airs.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-23-2012, 5:50 PM Reply   
I'm considering a new set up for boat riding with the occasional cable ride (I'm in new England) I'm a strong intermediate rider and was warned by my "coach" to avoid a flex board because he was afraid the inconsistency. I'm considering the reflex for its rail and dhredtown boots or Ktv. Should I avoid this set up for boat riding?
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-24-2012, 5:40 AM Reply   
I personally would disagree with your coach. I currently ride my buddies reflex quite often and have to say it is one of my favorite boat boards I have ever ridden. This board made me a fan of SS.
Old     (Prestoooooo)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-24-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
I rode the Kine all last year and it was a super fun board behind the boat and cable. Eventually I bent the fast track and bought the 2012 reflex. I ride it behind boat everyday and its really similar to last year's Kine. It has about the same amount of flex which isn't a ton but enough to press well and it pops really well of the wake. It edges really well but you kind of have to work for it, Slingshots don't do any work for ya!

Basically, the Reflex is the bees knees behind boat and without a doubt the same at cable.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-24-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
I trust him so thats why im riding before i buy anything at all. I'm currently on a ronix one (2010) and feel that it is too "tight" and lands hard but I love the way it releases and pops off the wake I'm thinking the reflex will land softer and have more speed but would need me to be more in the drivers seat in terms of edge and pop?

Also how is the shred-town boots for wake? I like the idea of cinching my ankles in and velcro seperate but I don't want to deal with a liner popping out everytime I exit the boot
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-24-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
Shredtowns suck because the inner liner has a heel pocket that doesn't sit well within the outer liner. It's a very vague and disconnected feeling that hurts board control. That's my opinion.

Also, your coach sounds pretty ignorant. Flex works fine behind the boat. I actually prefer. Inconsistency comes from bad form, not your board.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-24-2012, 7:14 PM Reply   
I don't drop names but trust me when I tell you his opinion is more than respectable and also, maybe this wasn't clear but, he is afraid that it MIGHT hinder my progression and to make sure that I ride one BEFORE I buy.

But again I'm concerned the reflex is the cable board and that ill be using it for boat
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-25-2012, 4:48 AM Reply   
I would not classify the reflex as a "cable board" I have ridden some nice boards the past two years and would rank them like this behind the boat:
1-2012 Reflex
2-2012 Harley
3-2012 Tex
4-2012 Shane
5-2011 Murray
6-2012 Peak
7-2011 Bside
8-2011 One
The reason the Reflex is my favorite is because it popped like the Harley was loose like the Murray and Tex and landed softer then any board I have ever ridden. Take into account I am not a pro but just a guy who enjoys getting wet a few times a week. My only minor complaint was it felt a little slower on the first couple of sets due to not being used to the different feel and edge. It was no different than trying to get the feel for any other new board. My set up I was riding with was also with system bindings on all of the boards so I can't comment on the bindings. This is what SS says about the Reflex.

The "Magic Stick" of wakeboards. Speed, edge control, aggressive pop, smooth landings, and unmatched durability make the new 2012 Reflex the ultimate board, from cable to wake.The 2012 Slingshot Reflex covers all ends of the spectrum. From and afternoon set behind the boat to shredding your local rail park, this is the only board to do it all.
I think that is what is nice about the technology they are using today. A lot of boards are equally as good behind the boat and cable. The best thing you can do is ride it and see for yourself if you have that option. Also when you say you are an intermediate rider that is vague and hard for me to give an opinion. Some guys feel wtw 180's and an invert is intermediate. If you can do multiple inverts 540's and are comfortable riding and doing tricks switch also, this is what I consider intermediate. At this point you most likely know your style and type of board you like to ride. Just remember at the end of the day your coach isn't the one riding it.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-25-2012, 5:08 AM Reply   
Yea thanks, this is exactly the kind of description I was looking for. And I suppose then I would be just short of "intermediate" (i follow the INT trick guide to determine my level of riding) as have my 180s,360s, and just landed my first back roll last night (woo!) and am progressing fast as i ride 6 days a week. yes I do know the style and the fact that you say it pops as hard as the Harley is making me excited to ride one because that's the style I like. I just need a looser, faster, softer landing version of the one. it sounds like the reflex might be it. Il let you guys know after I ride one next week or the week after
Old     (Prestoooooo)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-25-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
I rode the harley before I had the reflex and the reflex's pop is really similar. The thicker edge this year gives the board that locked in, consistent pop and edge at the wake, but it's still easy to let it loose and butter around. The main reason I switched to SS is because I wanted that more playful feel with soft landings. I'm sure you'd love the Reflex because the description of what you want is pretty much exactly how I feel the Reflex performs.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-26-2012, 6:00 PM Reply   
For you Reflex lovers are you still using the .6 fins? I have a 2012 Reflex and I feel it is a little to loose for my liking. Im trying to get rid of it if anyone is interested.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2012, 7:20 PM Reply   
@Broc. Do you find it looser than the LF FLX? How does it compare to that board?
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-26-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
My flx has .7 fins on it and I think that that makes a huge difference and It helps it track a little better. The Reflex is way stiffer than the FLX and has a lot more pop. I think that if I had the .8 fins it would track a lot better behind the boat.
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-26-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
Yes still using the .6 fins. If you don't like the loose feel of the Reflex the Harley is a pretty sweet board it just felt a little more locked in than I like. The landings are not as soft either. The first time I rode the Reflex was at the end of a hard day of riding so I just played around on it and i remember it feeling loose. I rode it again and about midway into my second set I started to get the timing and feel down. To this day it is my favorite board I have ever ridden. If I wasn't so far away I would trade you a Harley for your Reflex.
Old     (ztFLA4life)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-27-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
Just picked up a 2012 Reflex with some 2012 RAD's and love the setup..now I'm trying to get my hands on the Hooke!
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-27-2012, 1:23 PM Reply   
Just got my 2012 response 145 in the mail. I had some store credit from a pair of boots that broke. This is the first time I have physically touched a slingshot. It seems to be alot stiffer than I was expecting. I guess u can't really tell til u get it on the water though. Mainly I will be using this for rails or buttering around when I'm injured. Hope to get it on the water this weekend.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-29-2012, 8:13 PM Reply   
Rode some of the slingshot range today. Boards and bindings... Came home with a kine/ktv set up because it's leaps and bounds beyond anything I've ridden and it's so fun to top it off. I never thought I'd have a board that pops as hard as the ronix one but rides as fast as a bill and lands softer than anything I've ridden....damn this was a good choice of board/bindings
Old     (tymartin)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-09-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
How and where can you get replacement straps for 2012 Slingshot bindings? I've been searching for some but I haven't had any luck.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2012, 7:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymartin View Post
How and where can you get replacement straps for 2012 Slingshot bindings? I've been searching for some but I haven't had any luck.
Call slingshot?
Old     (Tank222)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-11-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
I broke a set of those strings as well.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-11-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
I previously rode a company severance which I LOVED. GF bought me a slingshot hooke for my birthday and I was pretty psyched as I wanted something a little more poppy and a bit quicker than the severance. The things I miss about the severance are how much flex it had for buttering. the hooke is substantially stiffer but still pretty fun. As far as riding though I absolutely love it. I have it paired with a pair of 11 reliks and i really like this set up. I rode my friends ronix one the other day and couldnt believe how much less forgiving it was after riding flex for 3 years. I am looking into some slingshot boots now comparable to the reliks but I love ronix boots. Anyone have an suggestions or comparisons?
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-11-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reez View Post
I previously rode a company severance which I LOVED. GF bought me a slingshot hooke for my birthday and I was pretty psyched as I wanted something a little more poppy and a bit quicker than the severance. The things I miss about the severance are how much flex it had for buttering. the hooke is substantially stiffer but still pretty fun. As far as riding though I absolutely love it. I have it paired with a pair of 11 reliks and i really like this set up. I rode my friends ronix one the other day and couldnt believe how much less forgiving it was after riding flex for 3 years. I am looking into some slingshot boots now comparable to the reliks but I love ronix boots. Anyone have an suggestions or comparisons?
I have some '09 Reliks and will be needing boots soon too. My liners are coming loose. (Ronix wants $100 for new liners.) I'm leaning toward getting some leftover Company boots.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-11-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
Im was nervous to take the plunge on the company boots for the same reason i am on hte slingshot..... no local shops carry them and I like to feel them on my feet prior to spending 400 bucks. I love how light the reliks are but they are NOT very durabnle because of this.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2012, 12:16 AM Reply   
The KTV boots will probably be closest to the reliks... in regards to being the softest/ flexiest closed toe boot in the line. everything else about the boots will be different.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-13-2012, 10:14 PM Reply   
I finally got out behind the boat on my slingshot response. My initial thoughts on the board are that it's loose but crazy poppy. I was riding behind a slammed '09 xstar, so while I was waiting for it to plane, I was spinning surface 720's with ease. The first heel side hit I wasn't expecting the extra kick at the top of the wake. I got booted. This board is fast like a continuous board, but pops like a three stage. But it's a very unique "snap" off the wake. I would liken it to an Ollie on a brand new skateboard. I did have problems with the fast track sliding out on me. I'm gonna try some washers on it tomorrow. Overall it was a really fun board to ride. I mainly got it for rails and cable, but I could see myself taking it out behind the boat some too.
Old     (jdb11386)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-15-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
I put the fast track mounts to the test today on my 2012 hooke and they didn't pass the test, pulled the track right out of the bored. hopefully customer service will treat me well tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-03-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
Any rumors or info on the '13 product?
Old     (Prestoooooo)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-04-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
13' shredtown boots are Yellow. They were in that new shredtown vid on alliance the other day. I'm itching to see some pics of the new board graphics though!
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-05-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
To avoid your bindings sliding out in the tracks, lose the cap nuts that came with the board and go to the hardware store for some 1/4-20 stainless hex nuts with the nylon lock insert. Use a socket/ratchet to snug it down and they will never come loose.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-05-2012, 10:15 AM Reply   
Jared, I tested my fast track mounts pretty good a couple times too, but mine help up solid. Took a digger where I dug the nose on a toe back 180. Ride 2011 LF boots, and all four of the claws broke, and I seriously bent the base plate on the right boot. Next time I rode, had a similar fall at the cable and broke one of the claws again. The tracks are not deformed at all, absolutely no damage to the board. In my opinion, they've totally fixed the track issues from last year. Or they're at least much more durable than LF bindings and hardware.
Old     (jdb11386)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-05-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
I wish I could say the same. I pulled the track right out. I've gone to a phalanx board now. Slingshot didn't want to warranty it because I wasnt the original purchaser which they have written in the warranty info. (Wasn't real happy about that but what can you do). Here are a couple pics of the track.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
Old     (jdb11386)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-05-2012, 10:29 AM Reply   

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-05-2012, 9:30 PM Reply   
Oh that sucks.... Maybe the LF binding claws are just the fuse that blows right before the track tears out. Sucks on the warranty.... I'd heard Slingshot support was one of, if not the best in the industry. Luckily I have not had to use it, even after some hard boat riding and beating it up at the cable.
Old     (jdb11386)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-06-2012, 6:00 PM Reply   
Im not going to bash their customer service but I was hoping they would warranty it, but its their policy. Im just moving onto another company. Slingshot has a good board but I think the fasttrack system has its flaws. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go away from it. I don't think there is a good way to build the board with enough support to keep you from rippIng out the track unless they put a sheet of aluminum or something on top to make it a little more rigid. Thin lightweight wood is only so strong.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-06-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
no experience with the fast track. seems like it is a kool idea (slingshot, hyperlite, burton). burton still flies with it, but i am not a snowboarder soo....

anyway, i still liked how Company wake thought to basically put the benefits of the track into the binding plate and hardware. Company wake. R.i.p.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       08-08-2012, 5:14 PM Reply   
Question. I am thinking of picking up a 2012 Response, but I'm not sure on size. I'm usually 150-155 lbs and 5'10". Can't decide between 137 or 142. Technically I am in the range for both. I'll be using it for 75% cable, 25% boat.

Thanks for the input!
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-08-2012, 5:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloungelife View Post
Question. I am thinking of picking up a 2012 Response, but I'm not sure on size. I'm usually 150-155 lbs and 5'10". Can't decide between 137 or 142. Technically I am in the range for both. I'll be using it for 75% cable, 25% boat.

Thanks for the input!
Go with the 142. U will like the extra surface area.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-08-2012, 6:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyaimfire View Post
Go with the 142. U will like the extra surface area.
142 as stated above, definitely. I have it and went from a 138 and couldn't be happier. Awesome board by the way, you should have a ton of fun on it.

Justin
2008 Supra 21V
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old     (tristan)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-09-2012, 4:33 AM Reply   
Anyone have any trouble with the inserts ripping out, my first reflex ripped out the inserts altogether and now my response is showing signs of warping in the middle.

Also where can one get parts for the RAD boots, one of the bootie clips broke and the head of the bolts are almost worn away
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       08-09-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
Thanks Tommy and Justin. Purchase has been made.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-17-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
After seeing the '13 images and what mostly seems like a cosmetic update I decided on a 142 recoil on discount...can't wait to get out today.

As is usually the case when it comes to slingshot issues,which are minimal, I wanted to see what the consensus was on the fast track. I have '11 RADs and the board came obviously came with the hardware. I wasn't expecting thumbscrews...

Question is: should I use a washer with them or as is? I'm also curious if the '13 hardware will work on the '12 tracks too...I guess well find out in a few weeks.

Thanks!
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-17-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
Question on the Hooke - Is it still as fun to butter as a Recoil. Been riding Recoils for years but really like my Natural before that. Would like something in between for giggles but not willing to give up the surface fun you can have on the Recoil. Yes, I know, demo, demo demo, which I will but curious as to opinions.............
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-17-2012, 11:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj2up10 View Post
After seeing the '13 images and what mostly seems like a cosmetic update I decided on a 142 recoil on discount...can't wait to get out today.

As is usually the case when it comes to slingshot issues,which are minimal, I wanted to see what the consensus was on the fast track. I have '11 RADs and the board came obviously came with the hardware. I wasn't expecting thumbscrews...

Question is: should I use a washer with them or as is? I'm also curious if the '13 hardware will work on the '12 tracks too...I guess well find out in a few weeks.

Thanks!
Yes the 13 hardware will work. They changed it so the female end is in the insert on the board and the Male end is on top.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-17-2012, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TParke View Post
Yes the 13 hardware will work. They changed it so the female end is in the insert on the board and the Male end is on top.
that is great news, ill try the rider hotline to see when i can get it.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-21-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
Thought I'd throw this out there. Been looking to get on a SS for a while now. Went and road Hexagon wake park in North Carolina last weekend and was able to get in a SS set up. 2012 Shredtown 139 and Shredtown bindings. I mostly ride boat and I am interested in the Recoil. I liked the bindings which i was worried about. Not a hug velcro fan so would probably go with the RAD bindings. THe board was super fun. It is super loose which took a lap or two to get used to. I ride the 2009 LF lyman currently with 2009 Watson Ltd. Now just gotta get funding for a new SS setup.
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-21-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr82 View Post
Thought I'd throw this out there. Been looking to get on a SS for a while now. Went and road Hexagon wake park in North Carolina last weekend and was able to get in a SS set up. 2012 Shredtown 139 and Shredtown bindings. I mostly ride boat and I am interested in the Recoil. I liked the bindings which i was worried about. Not a hug velcro fan so would probably go with the RAD bindings. THe board was super fun. It is super loose which took a lap or two to get used to. I ride the 2009 LF lyman currently with 2009 Watson Ltd. Now just gotta get funding for a new SS setup.
Try that Shredtown behind the boat. I have ridden the KIne, Reflex and Shredtown behind the boat. For me the shredtown has the most pop out of any of the three. I never would have guessed that I would like it so much behind the boat. I tried the Rad bindings and they felt a little bulky for me so I went with the KTV's.
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-21-2012, 11:19 AM Reply   
Has anyone ridden the Whip?
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-23-2012, 2:45 PM Reply   
How come no ktvs in 2013????
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-25-2012, 5:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
How come no ktvs in 2013????
yeah id pick up a pair of the '12 but wasnt sure they had the liner dialed in.i was really looking forward to an update to the ktv.

having the '11 rad i do like how they simplified the lace system on the shell even more for '13 so that might be what i move to next season.
Old     (railrider)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-27-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
I just wanna ask some questions about the ss boards...i ride cable and my current board is a ss newton 137 2011.. & i broke it yesterday doing a bs 313.. IM choosing Between a recoil 138 2012 or response 142 2012 for my new board .Im 6' tall, bout 72kgs. Which is better for rail riding but still having good surface trix? I tried the reflex 2010 but its too sluggish compared to my newton..takes more effort to edge.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by railrider View Post
I just wanna ask some questions about the ss boards...i ride cable and my current board is a ss newton 137 2011.. & i broke it yesterday doing a bs 313.. IM choosing Between a recoil 138 2012 or response 142 2012 for my new board .Im 6' tall, bout 72kgs. Which is better for rail riding but still having good surface trix? I tried the reflex 2010 but its too sluggish compared to my newton..takes more effort to edge.
from the sound of things i would say the response is what you want. same as the newton but without the bottom features. you will be sacrificing the channels for a stronger base... "sacrifice" doesn't seem like the right word though ha. the recoil will more than likely feel more slow than the reflex as the recoil is a more true three stage rocker. the response will have the same speed as your newton that you like.

SS Response
Old     (railrider)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-27-2012, 3:47 PM Reply   
Thanks jeremy! By the way.. Whats the difference if you dont have have the bottom features like he newton? And the size 142 will it be slower compared to the 137 newton?
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-30-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
Just got my ktvs delivered today and they feel
Awesome. Swapped over from the relics which I dug but were pretty beat up. Happy with the ktvs!
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2012, 4:03 PM Reply   
Can you compare the Relik vs KTV a little more? I have the Reliks now and need to replace them soon, but have not found anything I like better yet.
Old     (BTV)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-30-2012, 4:32 PM Reply   
I have both and really like both. Relik may have a little more cushion under foot, but KTV still has plenty. Like that KTV's are a little taller boot and love the velcro. KTV's seem to be a little more supportive/responsive without having them as tight on my feet. Can't go wrong with either IMHO.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-30-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
I agree with the above poster. After two seasons my relics were super flexible almost lie slippers and there is a little more to the ktv. Not much heavier but a super comfortable boot. I like the straps and not worrying abou laces flying around etc
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2012, 11:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by railrider View Post
Thanks jeremy! By the way.. Whats the difference if you dont have have the bottom features like he newton? And the size 142 will it be slower compared to the 137 newton?
without bottom features, the response is will be even less likely to get hung up on anything. the base material is a little stronger on the response. I might be wrong, but i think this material does not form well into channels and was used on the response reflex and recoil only. the board should feel slightly looser on the water too without channels.

generally the ballistic line (kine, newton, etc) are recommended to those that ride boat more. The response, recoil, reflex and shredtown are recommended more often to those that ride cable and park more

a 142 would not be slower, if anything it might even be a tad faster, but in reality i don't think you will notice a big difference in speed. most people tend to ride a larger size board if two sizes come into question. a larger board tends to land softer according to most. smaller board may be easier to spin, but slingshot boards are pretty light and thin regardless.

... almost forgot about the shredtown board..., you might give the shredtown board a try. it has a continuous rocker like the newton/ response. However the rocker bend is greater which should give it a slower speed than the response. the shredtown has chined rails like the response which may or may not be desirable for minimizing edge catches and dings. overall, the response is till the safest bet if you cant demo.

Last edited by wakerider111; 08-30-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-31-2012, 9:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Just got my ktvs delivered today and they feel
Awesome. Swapped over from the relics which I dug but were pretty beat up. Happy with the ktvs!
Since an update to the ktv for '13 is not looking good, how is the liner holding up?
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       08-31-2012, 5:09 PM Reply   
I have had a hell of a time with my Slingshot bindings...
- Rode the 2012 Rads twice before screws came out and the toe adhesive messed up. I returned these to the dealer and got 2012 KTVs.
- Rode the KTV's twice and on the second trip to the cable park the liners started coming apart.
- Emailed SLingshot and they immediately mailed out a new pair. In the meantime I used Shoeglue to try to make my other pair usable for a little while more.
- Broke out the new KTVs and they lasted about 4 trips before the lining started to fall out again.
- Emailed Slingshot and they said to work it out through the dealer this time.
- That is pending... I plan to just get a refund and get another brand for my 2012 Hooke. I love the board still. I rode my 2008 Murrarys for years with no issues so I am not that hard on bindings. My 2011 Shane's are also holding up fine. I wish Slingshot made bindings that would last more than a month.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-31-2012, 9:03 PM Reply   
unfortunate to hear-i am thrilled with my board from them as well (142 recoil) but the rads have beem a little high maintenance.

as a seasonal rider, the whole setup is obviously important but bindings especially. ive gotten used to wearing the binders i settle on for a few years because of how minimal my abuse is year to year.

upgrading to the 2012 liner for my 2011 rads made them work out considering the original 2011 liners broke down after a half dozen sets-keep in mind they were boat use only.

im considering moving to the 2013 rad if they dont update the ktv. i guess there is a reason harfs one boot is so widely used afterall. i prefer keeping a setup by the same company but i may have to look elsewhere for durability and ease of use.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       09-01-2012, 5:27 AM Reply   
For $400 I don't think we are being unreasonable. That is a hell of a lot of money in my book! I also hate using different brands together but I think I really have no choice now. I don't want to hit the lake or the cable park with a back-up board just in case. I was at Cowtown cable park last weekend and there was a kid there with new 2012 Rads on a SS board. After his second set around his Rads came apart and he had to use a rental board and bindings. Bummer.
Old     (greglb842)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-02-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
Just got my new choice 142 out for the first time today. What a huge difference I was flying off the wake. So much more fun then my old board.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-02-2012, 5:21 PM Reply   
no problems with my 2011 RAD shells with 2012 Rad liners.
probably about 50-60 days on the boot outers ("shells")
25 days on the laces
25 days on the liners

still awesome.

( i ride typically once a week for 5 to 6 months out of the year. usually one other person rides my board too. 2-4 sets a day i guess)
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-02-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
no problems with my 2011 RAD shells with 2012 Rad liners.
probably about 50-60 days on the boot outers ("shells")
25 days on the laces
25 days on the liners

still awesome.

( i ride typically once a week for 5 to 6 months out of the year. usually one other person rides my board too. 2-4 sets a day i guess)
other than some heel lift in the plate my 2011 rad w/2012 liners are doing great as well.

after adding a tie wrap around the laces the ease of use-getting in and out-increased a ton.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-02-2012, 8:57 PM Reply   
Just got the 2013 fast track hardware in the male from slingshot. Looks like a better system, hopefully this will stop my boots from sliding out. They have awesome customer support.
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-04-2012, 5:51 AM Reply   
Which Slingshot model would you guys recommend for a big old guy who is just starting? I gave it a try with my sons Hyperlite 136 and loved riding behind the boat but that board is pretty small. Looking for a much larger board (145?) that is easy for a beginner. Maybe Slingshot isn't the brand for me but it seems most mfg.'s have a beginner board in their lineup.

Appreciate any guidance you can provide.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-04-2012, 5:52 AM Reply   
Response 145 for sure. Big, fast, easy landing, easy ride
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-04-2012, 4:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Response 145 for sure. Big, fast, easy landing, easy ride
I second that.

You can likely get a great price on a '12 too. I think the price point on SS's stuff is very good and it is tough to top how well their boards are made.

I haven't heard much about their entry level boots though. Can anyone chime in on this? It seems as the the RADS and even the Shredtown's have a few too many bells and whistles for beginners.