Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (alex_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-16-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
Is there a good way to crimp 1/0 wire to ring terminals without a proper crimper? Just squeeze it in a vise maybe?
Old     (EnderWiggin)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-16-2012, 9:05 AM Reply   
Can't speak for 1/0, but I used a relatively heavy duty vice for 2 gauge and it was no problem. I think there have been other threads on this. One of my favorites was someone putting the wire and terminal between their floor jack and their truck frame and jacking it up.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-16-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
I preffer to solder the large cable eyelets over crimping. There's a couple good youtubes out there showing how. The show it done using large solder pellets. If you do not have or can not locate any, use a roll of large gauge rosin solder. it will take a lot, but the end result is the same. Just apply the heat to the terminal and allow the solder to melt inside and just keep feeding it in until the lug is about half full.
Old    mojo            06-16-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
i agree with tigeMike. vice grip, blow torch, flux solder and some heat shrink. i have a hammer crimper and it sucks.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-16-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
Grant west (ww member) has a good tutorial on YouTube.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-16-2012, 3:08 PM Reply   
You can try and find a noco wire or pico dealer(I am sure most auto parts or battery places) and they should have a tood that you hit with a hammer and it crimps the lug. I will have to ask my shop guy but he actuallyu doesn't like solder for crimping battery cables. A good crimp with good double walled shrink tubing. We carry Noco HBT series shrink tube and it is much better then most.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2012, 11:15 AM Reply   
Try this in conjunction with a vise. It worked for me and I have two full seasons on the boat with these connections. You can probably find one cheaper than the one at WestMarine.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
Oops, didn't read the "without a proper crimper" part. Nevermind. Solder and flux it is.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-18-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
haha... here you go..
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-18-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
Here is the Video I made last year. Funny thing is I haven't had to solder cables since I made the video. But just this weekend I made 6 cables. I used the Smash Crimper. The blue one in the video. Its works fine it made some real nice crimp's. Both ways are fine IMO just depends on what you feel like or can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zssIl...1&feature=plcp
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-18-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
I just take them over to the local battery shop and he does a heavy duty crimp for $1 each,. He does a great job and I've had no issues with them.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-18-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
Ken, that is awesome.