Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-26-2014, 8:39 AM Reply   
A debate with a friend got me curious... What would it cost to replace motor such as monsoon 330 or something similar? Anyone had to replace one? If so what it cost ya?
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-26-2014, 9:11 AM Reply   
About 5 years ago I did a 350 ci longblock, I was right at 2k for the whole job. Including replacing some miscellaneous stuff while I had it all apart. This was from a local engine company.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-26-2014, 9:21 AM Reply   
I haven't had to do one yet but it's reportedly pretty painless. You can get a rebuilt Vortec 5.7L which would be suitable for most Indmar or PCM boats for $2,300+shipping here:
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/vortec...rent-p-68.html

I'd be willing to bet you could have the engine rebuilt locally for less if you removed/re-installed it yourself if you could find a reputable shop to do the work.

Or a new engine for $2,749 + shipping:
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/350ci-...ent-p-109.html

In either case you'd have to transfer all the accessories, intake manifold, water pump etc. over to the new block.
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-26-2014, 8:12 PM Reply   
Thanks. I figured a motor could be replaced for 5k or so. I was just curious what ppl experiences were.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-26-2014, 9:54 PM Reply   
Depends on what all you are replacing... If it's a total drop in performed through a dealer it's roughly likely around 8k. At the other end, new long block or local rebuild with new internals that you reinstall could be had in 3k range. Or if you piece meal it together could spend 10k on internal and external parts and machine shop work alone.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-27-2014, 6:43 AM Reply   
SBC will cost anywhere from $500-$2500 depending on what it needs and what your goals are. If yours is cracked then you're gonna be towards the top of that as a core to build can be $100 to a few hundred, or towards the top of that for a nicely built lower miles/hours that you can just drop right in. Create motor? I'd say $2500 would get you a nice stock HP level engine ready to bolt your marine stuff onto, but I don't trust big rebuild shops as I've seen a lot of mishmash mixed parts and corners cut that I would never do.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-27-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
Here is a sale on a 350 from JEGS for $1260 with free shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Pe...-/400444180233

Last edited by jmanolinsky; 08-27-2014 at 9:04 AM. Reason: add info
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-27-2014, 9:21 AM Reply   
BTW: The above engine is a GM Goodwrench 350ci Engine with 4 bolt mains.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-27-2014, 9:51 AM Reply   
pretty sure that jegs motor is the "old" 350 without vortec heads.
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-27-2014, 10:37 AM Reply   
My boat is fine. My friend saw a boat on Craigslist at a great price and I said "at that price you could put a motor in it and be fine ". Then the debate insued ha.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-29-2014, 7:43 PM Reply   
I had a 1990 350 with 260 hp that leaked water at the intake gasket/head gasket so I upgraded to a 2011 Mercruiser 383 mag mpi stroker with 350 hp drop in plug and play 8500 and i sold off my old engine and components for 1500.
Old     (GoneBoatN)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-02-2014, 8:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeisel42 View Post
My boat is fine. My friend saw a boat on Craigslist at a great price and I said "at that price you could put a motor in it and be fine ". Then the debate insued ha.
I think a lot depends on the age of the boat. Older boats with little to no electronics but otherwise a good hull, that might be a solid plan for a low budget but solid boat. Don`t forget about the tranny too.

On newer boats which have much more electronics, I'd be concern about those components as well.

I ponder this question because when time comes and I have gobs of hours on the engine I wonder what I'll be doing.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-03-2014, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
I think a lot depends on the age of the boat. Older boats with little to no electronics but otherwise a good hull, that might be a solid plan for a low budget but solid boat. Don`t forget about the tranny too.

On newer boats which have much more electronics, I'd be concern about those components as well.

I ponder this question because when time comes and I have gobs of hours on the engine I wonder what I'll be doing.
a long block is a long block... unless I am completely missing something... I don't believe the technology surrounding the long block would increase the cost of replacing it. Maybe in the way of labor, but product cost shouldn't vary all that much...

The recent inception of "weird" displacement engines that are being marinized may be a different topic to debate as the inventory isn't quite as plentiful as your basic 350 c.i. long block that has been used for ages.
Old     (GoneBoatN)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-03-2014, 8:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycejb328 View Post
a long block is a long block... unless I am completely missing something... I don't believe the technology surrounding the long block would increase the cost of replacing it. Maybe in the way of labor, but product cost shouldn't vary all that much...

The recent inception of "weird" displacement engines that are being marinized may be a different topic to debate as the inventory isn't quite as plentiful as your basic 350 c.i. long block that has been used for ages.
The point being that the idea of refurbishing an old boat, going forward with the newer electronics, the engine may be the least of your worries. Where you have a boat that is pre-all-so-much -electronics I think an engine replacement is a reasonable consideration.

With the newer boats that have almost all the functions controlled through a touchscreen, all that has to happen is for the OEM of those electronics to decide to no longer manufacture a part. So what I'm saying it is going to get interesting in the future on keeping such a boat running for a long life time. Consider that features such as cruise control (generic name), gauges (speed, temp, rpm), ballast systems, etc are being controlled through a central module now days.